Ch. 34 – Deadfall Canyon
1.2k 9 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took me a days time to reach Deadfall Canyon and once I did, I certainly realized why they named it that. Even under the dual illuminating moonlight you couldn’t see the bottom of the canyon, only when you traveled a couple of miles along could you even see a glimpse of the river below.

There was a town a great distance away, you can see the light emanating from it. I noticed the river was going in it’s direction so I followed it.

‘Worse case scenario I’m walking the wrong way.’

After a 10 minute horse ride you could see the river split and a huge cave entry revealing itself to me. The entire area seemed to turn dead around the cave. The green grass that was once abundant started to die out in a huge circle around the cave entry. Rocks looked brittle, dead flowers hung, you could even see a couple of dead squirrels, one hanging from the tree by a branch while the other was on the ground.

“This doesn’t seem to be a smart mission selection.”

Next thing I know, a loud clacking noise started to come from the cave. A group of 5 skeletons with purple masses in their chest instantly ran out towards me. None had on armor and only one had a rustic shield. The speed they were running at is completely baffling, closing the distance of 100 yards in 4-5 seconds.

“Shiiit!”

Activating Deva Oculi I tried to go towards the farthest one on the left so they wouldn’t immediately surround me.

“Cliiink!!”

I immediately sliced through the skeletons rustic blade with a horizontal strike, my blade didn’t stop as I was running towards him and I completely cut through his rib cage and the purple smoking mass that was in the middle.

‘That was a little too easy....’

I quickly dropped the other 4 skeletons and I picked up the shield. Walking towards the cave entrance the temperature dropped even more.

I kept focusing my eyes but they weren’t allowing me to see fully in the dark, only letting me see 10 yards in front of me. Every time the clacking noise came, skeletons arrived. The rustic shield was destroyed with just one of their strikes.

I eventually got to some stairs going down in the murky cavern.

On the first floor you could hear the skeletons walking around quite loudly, but the second floor was different all together.

There was only the sound of my boots hitting cold wet rocks.

As I got to what I think is the middle, it got colder again.

A constant noise began to sound out as if there were a group of animals eating something.

“Fuck. No.”

What looked like over 50-60 zombies were all bumping into each other, some were even eating others.

These weren’t your regular deteriorating slow-walking zombies either, they had some pep in their step.

I tried to look for a way around them but they took up the majority of the cavern. If I had people who used mana with me, this would be a breeze.

‘...but I don’t.... the way they usually move hordes in the old movies is by sound so I’ll try that.’

I found a stone about the size of a fist and quietly walked to the left side of the cavern. Focusing all my strength I threw it with full force towards the opposite side.

A loud crash sounded out and a group of stalactites crashed down as well causing even more noise.

All the zombies immediately turned and ran towards the sound stepping over and pushing one another.

I was already sprinting towards the caverns opening on the other side.

‘Coming back out I can probably do the same thing... hopefully.’

Upon entering the opening I found another staircase except this time this one was attached to the wall, making the entire left side a wide open steep chasm. The only way was down so I quickly went.

After reaching about midway I could spot a purple glow, I couldn’t make out if it was the dungeon core or not so I kept going.

“What the hell is that?”

I reached the bottom of the chasm and felt the temperature decline again, thanks to evolutionary body and the mana inside me, I didn’t feel like I was freezing to death.

I kept my distance from the purple smoking light, as I’ve seen too many movies where that idea goes south quick.

“You are smart to keep your distance.”

A somewhat deep and elegant male voice resounded all through the chasm.

An instant chill ran up my spine.

“It seems arch-human puppets are useful from time to time, to register my own phylactery as a dungeon core.”

A skeleton rose from the ground in a 90 degree angle, all in a single motion right under the purple smoking light.

It had pure black bones with sharp silver engravings all around it. His rib cage seemed to open to accept the light. Once it was inside the rib cage it seemed to grow and catch on fire, it’s eye sockets soon ignited as well.

“I only need you for resources, fight me and I will torture you for a few decades before using you.”

The skeleton just stood there still.. staring at me.

I looked to my left, looked to my right, then back at him.

Pointing at myself I had to ask..

“Me?..”

“......Yes..”

We just stood completely still, staring at one another.

“Bitch you got me fu-“

40