Chapter 22
705 15 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moving my focus back to the real world. I was laying on the bed with my eyes closed. I had to pretend to sleep since it was strange to be awake 24/7. I also had the voice help me whenever I tried to sleep due to the changes in chemicals.

Deciding that it was time to deeply investigate my body I noticed that I could zoom into certain parts of my body. Moving over to the brain, I noticed a shocking fact.

Brains were supposed to have electrical currents going through them. It was something everyone knew and once the brain stopped being active, people were considered dead. The only problem was that looking at my brain showed it was in a sort of suspended state.

Trying to send a few currents through the brain revealed strange flashes of images that were projected to my mind. They were completely nonsensical and I couldn’t make any sense of them.

It seemed that my brain was being kept alive but there was no activity in it. Looking over my muscles revealed very tough and compressed muscles. Luckily, I didn’t just have absurd growth which would look unnatural.

The muscles all over my body were compressed far more than before, easily 10 times their previous density. Getting up and walking out of the dorm room quietly I walked outside in the night.

It was around 5 am and there were few people outside at this time. Suddenly, I felt like someone was watching me. Turning towards the sensation I noticed for a fraction of a second that someone was looking at me from behind the corner.

If I didn’t have perfect memory and could recall every instant of the memory, I would have missed it but there was definitely someone watching me. Turning around and walking I instantly felt the sensation again.

I kept walking and occasionally made turns and from the corner of my eye I kept seeing the figure of the person but they seemed to be perfectly evading my line of sight. After a few minutes of carefully turning and trying to see who was watching me I felt the sensation disappear.

It seemed like they didn’t want me to see them at all and I could only see bits and pieces of the figure of their body. Every time I was close to seeing them, even from the corner of my eyes, they darted away.

Putting it in the back of my mind I tried to think of who would watch me and I simply had no idea. I had just gotten back from the hospital so it didn’t make sense for someone to want to watch me.

Who could it be?

 

~~~ POV Change ~~~

 

Dave walked away due to the strangeness of the situation. As someone part of Sector 37, he had a lot of training for people who were… special. This allowed him to easily figure out that Jason realized he was there.

It didn’t make sense, from the moment he started trailing him, Jason would keep looking back or making deliberate turns to try to see him. No one had ever noticed him due to how careful and far he was.

This lead to him usually getting less information at the cost of safety. However, on the field, this caution was what kept him alive. After giving up due to several close calls he took out his phone and wrote down a note.

‘34946 had exhibited possible extreme perception.’

Putting his phone away, he got the notification for a text and with a sigh took his phone back out.

After looking over the text for a few seconds, Dave walked out of the campus and went to an unassuming building. After using one of the keys on his key chain the door unlocked and he saw three people sitting in chairs.

Two men and one woman. The woman was slightly younger than him and was wearing casual clothes while the two men were older and wearing full suits and ties.

“Dave, there have been some complications with your assignment.”

“What complications? 34946 has just returned to school, there is not much that can be complicated so early on.”

“Take a look at these brain scans.”

One of the men took out a sheet of paper and it had a few short lines and a image of a line on a graph.

‘The EEG machine seems to have had a problem when scanning the brain of patient Jason Reven. The machine reads out that there is nothing happening in the brain of the patient. Upon testing the machine it was shown that there was no problem and the scan was just a malfunction.’

“What about this causes a complication?”

“Here, read these too and you’ll see a problem.”

Taking a few more papers from the main they had numerous lines seemingly taken from different sources.

‘Patient Jason Reven has a heart rate of a constant 70 beats per minute. After his seizure his heart rate has never deviated from 70 bpm. Along with this, his blood pressure never deviated from his average.’

‘According to those who helped with patient Jason Reven’s muscle therapy he seems to sometimes put too much or too little control with his strength and his biggest mishap was when he hit a cut which broke his pointer finger on his left hand and left a noticeable crack on a metal cup.’

‘During the coma, his brain activity remained as active as normal, which would indicate that he could awaken at any time.’

“Something happened after he awoke from his coma.”

“Yes, and because of that, we are going to have 32445 help you with some intelligence gathering.”

“During my first investigation, it seemed that 34946 might have extreme perception capabilities.”

“Interesting, when you notice 34946 is occupied, give 32445 a call and she will walk by him and try to gather information.”

“Alright.”

Dave took 32445’s information and walked out. Dave hated the number system and wondered why they couldn’t just call people by their names.

Walking back to the campus, Dave saw Jason walking around and quickly turned away. During Dave’s training, he had learned how to confuse people’s extreme perception.

Briefly preparing himself he took out his phone and began walking. The moment Dave looked up he saw Jason staring at him.

Quickly collecting himself and letting nothing show Dave walked up to Jason.

“Hey Jason! I heard a lot about you from Dean, I know you can’t talk well but wanna hang out?”

Jason simply eyed him and nodded. Turning his phone around Dave saw a line of text.

‘Sure, how did you meet Dean?’

“We happened to be sitting next to each other during one of our classes when I transferred over and we quickly hit it off.”

‘I see, what do you want to do?’

“You like drinks?”

‘Not particularly but if you want to hang at a bar I am not sure how well it would turn out since I can’t talk well’

“You know what, that’s a great point. How about just relaxing at the library? I do have to study for a few classes.”

‘Sounds good’

Dave walked with Jason over to the school library and when they sat down he took out his phone and sent a text.

He took out some books related to his class and began reading. Occasionally talking to Jason however it was quite slow due to Jason having to write down the entire sentence on his phone for Dave to read.

After around half an hour, Dave saw out of the corner of his eye 32445 walking inside with a book and looking around before seeing him and then walking to a bookshelf and looking over the books before taking out her phone.

A few seconds later Dave got a message and took his phone out and responded. She walked over to them and while looking over a book bumped into Jason’s chair.

Dropping her books she quickly spoke out.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to hit-“

However, as she was talking, when she saw Jason lean down to pick up her book, she happened to brush her hand against his.

Her speech froze as well as her entire body. Jason’s body froze as well. The two, one sitting, one standing, froze and barely breathed.

After an entire long minute, Dave knew this wasn’t supposed to happen. He was told that it would at most take a few seconds for 32445 to completely read Jason’s mind and gain some information about what happened.

“Jason?”

No response. Dave took out his phone and quickly texted a number. Within two minutes a group of people approached. Appearing as a group and talking casually, they entered the library.

They made a bee-line to Dave’s desk and he quickly filled them in and they put their arms around 32445 and lightly tried to nudge them apart.

The moment the two separated, 32445 suddenly collapsed into the arms of one of the people in the group while Jason looked at her with a shocked look on his face.

“Hey, what did you do to our friend?”

Jason waved his hands and quickly started typing in his phone. However, one of the guys in the grabbed Jason’s phone and slammed it onto the table. Quickly drawing attention to their conflict.

“Don’t go on your phone when we are trying to talk to you, what did you do?”

“Hey, relax, he can’t talk.”

Dave stepped in for Jason and Jason quickly showed a look of appreciation.

“Clearly he did something to her! Look at her!”

32445 was unresponsive as her face was frozen in a shocked look. Jason quickly typed into his phone.

‘Sorry, what’s her name and number? I’ll make sure to give her compensation’

Luckily, the man seemed convinced and gave her name and number. The group walked away, seemingly concerned about 32445.

Jason quickly looked over to Dave and showed him a text.

‘Sorry, I am just going to head back to my dorm, good luck on your classes’

“I was also thinking of heading back to the dorms, I’ll follow you.”

‘I have to go to the bathroom’

Dave gave a long look and nodded before walking out. The moment Dave was out of sight he quickly leaned against a nearby wall.

Jason walked out shortly after and looked at him with a shocked look on his face.

“I just wanted to walk back with you, I feel bad, I heard about how you got mugged.”

Jason quickly looked around and noticed the group was gone. He had an irritated look on his face and showed a message.

‘Where did that group of people go with that woman?’

“Why do you wanna know?”

‘She left her book here’

Sure enough, Jason held the book that was left behind. Dave couldn’t think of a good reason and simply pointed in a direction.

Jason quickly ran over in the direction he pointed and turned the corner.

Dave gazed at the empty corner before giving up following him. It was obvious that normal tactics for following wouldn’t work.

Taking out his phone, Dave wrote a new line of words.

‘34946 causes unknown problems with individuals capable of mind reading.’

There was something off about Jason. There was no way a person would be able to tell someone was following them without training or extraordinarily good perception or instincts.

However, the moment Dave tried to do anti-perception following tactics he was instantly found out. He began rewriting the earlier sentence about Jason’s perception.

‘34946 has extraordinary perception or instincts.’

Dave put his phone away and looked into the sky. There were not many people who could cause issues with mind readers without themselves being mind readers.

Being someone who had seen the hidden side of the world, Dave countless people who initially could not be explained but were quickly determined to be this or that.

Hearing a notification from his phone, Dave took out his phone and read the text. Quickly, his body became stiff.

‘32445 is brain dead. We had another mind reader look over her remains and they are a babbling mess now. What the hell happened?’

I also didn't proof read this chapter, if there is anything, please tell me.

12