Chapter 8
698 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Dad?"

After stating that he had something to say, Mr Wang didn't speak. Instead, a layer of sweat appeared on his forehead and he looked stressed all of a sudden.

"Dad, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, forget about it. I'll tell you at dinner with your Mum."

Wang Li's heart dropped at this sentence. He didn't want to see his Mum but he had to if he wanted to see his Dad. The remainder of the car ride was done in silence as both men reluctantly made their way back home.

. . . . . .

At home, wang Li slowly unpacked his clothes and belongings, his Mum wasn't home yet because her work was running over time and she would pick dinner up on the way home. Mr Wang had secluded himself to his study once they had arrived back, refusing to open the door. In his room, Wang Li opened his duffle bag and took out his dirty clothes before he made his way to the laundry room.

Whenever he was home a stuffiness would fill his chest, making it hard to breath. Wang Li stood in front of the washing machine listening to it wash his clothes in a daze. He stood there until it was time to move them to the dryer and sat on the cold tiles watching the clothes spin around. He spent almost two hours in the warm laundry room in a dull minded state until the alarm he had set up for five minutes before his Mum arrived dinged. Wang Li came back to reality and left the room so he could quickly set the table. After the table was ready he knocked on his Dad's study again.

"Mum will be home soon, the table is done."

Un. Wang Li went back into the laundry after he heard his Dad's response and took the warm clothes back to his room. He was too lazy to put them away and instead lay on top of them, enjoying the warmth and smell of laundry soap. Wang Li tossed around the small pile before he saw Kong Da's sweatshirt mixed with his clothes. He brought it to his nose and nuzzled his head against the material, Kong Da's scent had been washed away and it now smelt like his own smell. Wang Li had only been away for a few hours but he was missing Kong Da already. He sighed out sadly and heard the front door close. With a heavy sigh Wang Li didn't waste time lazing about and headed to the table.

At dinner his Mum, Wang YiFei, gave him a small nod and hello before focusing on eating. Mr Wang had already been seated at the table and he sat between his parents. The meal passed slowly with a couple questions inquiring about his studies before silence returned. Wang Li was almost finished with his food when Mr Wang placed his chopsticks down and he cleared his throat gently.

"I have something I need to tell the two of you."

His Dad's tone made Wang Li freeze and he sat up straight, Wang YiFei seemed to not care that her husband had said anything and carried on with picking up food to place in her small bowl. Seeing the mixed reaction, Mr Wang wiped his face and cleared his throat again before speaking in a quiet voice.

"When I agreed to this marriage, it wasn't out of love but fear."

These words caused Wang YiFei to put down her chopsticks and glared at the man across from her. Wang Li looked between them as his heart raced out of fear.

"YiFei, our relationship isn't great but I do feel sorry for what I'm about to tell you."

After a moment of tense silence, Mr wang let out a shaky sigh.

"Fu~~ Xiao Li, YiFei. I-I like men."

Wang Li held his breath as he turned to look at his Mum. Something changed in her eyes and her body rose from the table quicker than anyone could process. After she left the room, both men couldn't understand what was happening. Wang Li snapped to attention though when his Mum returned to the room holding a knife, his blood froze and he quickly moved to stand in front of his Dad.

"M-Mum. Wait, I'm gay too, let's all cal-"

Wang YiFei stopped dead in her tracks as he stared at her son with crazed eyes and she threw the knife to the ground. Wang Li had never thought he would come out like this to his family, especially when he never wanted his Mum to know. The crazed looking woman screamed out in a mix of horror and anger before she drew her hand back. Her hand moved with such speed that Wang Li had no time to block, he was slapped across the face heavily, more hits rained against his cheek in mere seconds. All of a sudden Mr Wang grabbed Wang YiFei's wrist and shoved her back before another blow could be made.

"I don't care how many times you hit me, but I'll never allow you to hit my son."

Wang YiFei stood up from the ground, her usually neat hair was a mess. The crazed look in her eyes was still present but dulled now and she picked up her bag with her keys, storming to the door.

"You have one hour, I want the two of you out of my house."

The door suddenly slammed shut. Wang Li felt numb inside as he held onto his Dad and sobbed. Mr Wang had protected him from being abused by his Mum his whole life, taking all the hits instead. But today was the first time Wang Li fully felt his Mum's full disgust and hatred. Mr Wang comforted Wang Li as well as apologized and once he had calmed down enough, they separated to their rooms to pack their things.

Both men's packing was quick since most of Wang Li's belongings were still in his suitcases and Mr Wang had never been one to have a lot of things, his clothes filled one duffle bag while another was for the things from his study. Wang Li sat in the car as his Dad finished checking over the house and sent a quick message to Xu Chen about what had happened, in return he got a phone call.

"Do you want to stay with me? I'm sure your Dad could stay too."

"No, I think dad and I need to be alone for a little."

Xu Chen and Wang Li didn't talk for too long and the phone call ended once Mr Wang placed both of his bags in the back seat. The car was silent while Mr Wang drove back towards the city, once they were out of the area they knew as home, they pulled into a small hotel for the night. Wang Li could tell his Dad was feeling regretful and he hugged him tightly once they were in their room.

"Don't feel bad Dad, I don't blame you for anything."

Mr Wang hugged his son tightly before he excused himself to the bathroom for a shower. Wang Li picked the bed furthest from the TV and opened the picture of Kong Da he had secretly taken on the train. Wang Li was about to call Kong Da, when his dad came out of the bathroom and told him to take a shower too. While Wang Li was taking out a change of clothes, his dad told him he was going out for a little but would be back shortly, the news was out of the blue and shocked Wang Li a little but he understood that maybe his Dad needed time to himself. Mr Wang hugged his son tightly then kissed him on the forehead before leaving.

Showers were always a great way to help people clear their minds and Wang Li felt refreshed once he laid back on his bed wearing Kong Da's sweatshirt and a pair of shorts. Some time had passed and Wang Li found himself pressing the call button for Kong Da's number. The tone rang for a long time and Wang Li thought Kong Da wouldn't pick up. When he thought the call would go to the answering service, Kong Da's low voice came through the speaker, calming all of Wang Li's anxieties.

"Hello."

Wang Li laid on his side and rested the phone between his head and the pillow, he hadn't answered so Kong Da spoke again.

"Wang Li?"

"I told you to call me Xiao Li."

"I also told you to spend time with your family."

Kong Da's words had been said in innocence but they struck a chord with Wang Li because of what had just happened. The complicated feelings he was feeling before came back and tears pricked his eyes. After not hearing a reply Kong Da spoke up.

"Did something happen?"

Wang Li couldn't hold back any longer and sobbed over the phone, Kong Da didn't speak while he waited for Wang Li to talk. Once his cries subsided Wang Li spoke about not only what had happened tonight but also the complicated relationship he had with his Mum.

For the first 10 years of his life, Wang Li was raised by his grandma. Every weekend Mr Wang would make sure to come and visit while Wang YiFei would only visit after a big fight with his Dad. At first, Wang Li always blamed himself for the lack of love his Mum showed him until his Grandma told him that people will only love you if they have enough love to share, after hearing those words he looked at Wang YiFei in a different light and noticed she never cared about anyone aside from herself. Her friends, husband and son were all nothing in her eyes.

Even though he knew this, Wang Li of course craved his mother's love, most children do. After a lot of begging, he was finally allowed to go live with his parents but instantly wished he hadn't, he saw how everyday was hell for his Dad. When his Mum wasn't cursing or screaming at him, she was hitting him. Once the fighting subsided, it was as if a cold war was going on and both him and Mr Wang walked on eggshells so as to not set off a bomb.

To get away from it all, Wang Li visited his Grandma a lot, both father and son would spend weekends there. When talking of studies, Wang Li wasn't exceptional but wasn't bad, he had told his Dad one time that the only reason he studies hard is so he can get a well paying job and buy a house for the two of them. Wang Li thought those words would bring his Dad happiness or comfort but Mr Wang had looked at him with guilt and shame on his face, as if he had let his son down. He had given Wang Li the same look tonight.

Wang Li rambled on without stopping and by the time he had finished his mind felt drained but free. All of this was a lot to process and Kong Da stayed silent on the other side. Wang Li rubbed his nose nervously now that he had finished his story, Xu Chen was the only other person he had told all of these things to and now that Kong Da wasn't speaking, he felt that maybe he had misjudged their relationship.

"Hehe, it's not too much baggage for you is it?

"Heh, your baggage is one carload, mine's a whole truck's worth."

Wang Li felt better now that Kong Da was talking, even though he was tired he didn't want to hang up.

"Da Ge, I forgot the payment for the tattoo today. How much is it?"

"Don't worry about it."

Both sides went quiet and Kong Da's light breathing could be heard, Wang Li synced his breathing while tucking his legs into the oversized sweatshirt. He was on the verge of falling asleep when Kong Da's voice came through.

"Are you asleep?"

Wang Li mumbled out a no though it wasn't completely distinguishable. Kong Da stayed on the phone until Wang Li's breathing had slowed and his soft snores were all he could hear before he hung up. Kong Da was eating dinner with Suo Su and JieJie when he had received Wang Li's call. The married couple didn't know that it was Wang Li while he excused himself from the table to stand outside. Wang Li had talked so much that he had stood outside for an hour, when he returned inside Suo Su bombarded him with questions.

"Who were you talking to? It's been an hour. Was it Xiao Li"

Kong Da only shrugged and sat back down to finish off his cold food. The night moved quietly and he retreated to the guest bedroom that had been set up for him by JieJie, in bed, he thought over all the things Wang Li had told him. He had figured his relationship with his mother wasn't great from what Wang Li had told him in the cabin but didn't think that it would be the same way he had felt towards his own parents growing up.

When he heard Wang Li sob over the phone his heart felt stifled and weak, it had only been two months but he was finding it harder to ignore the boy now, only he didn't know how to move on from his past. Do I tell him what happened? About the man from earlier? Should I push him away before true feelings develop? Kong Da's head felt dizzy from all the thinking and he pushed his thoughts to the side as he tried to focus on sleeping.

. . . . . .

In the morning, Wang Li woke up to his Dad waving a stick of fried bread in his face. He moved over and Mr Wang sat on the edge of the bed, watching Wang Li eat happily.

"I'm sorry I left last night, I needed to think things through properly."

"I understand Dad. I'm not a child so I can handle sleeping in a room by myself."

The father and son spoke openly about their feelings of their current situation and Wang Li was relieved to see his dad open up to him about his sexuality. Mr Wang had known early on that he was gay but also knew that it was not a welcomed thing. He talked about how his mother, Wang Li's grandma, had her suspicions that he didn't like women which pushed him to marry Wang YiFei so quickly. Mr Wang thought that once they had a child they could divorce but he was too scared. Wang Li hugged his Dad while he spoke and congratulated him on his courage last night. Both men cried and hugged each other for most of the morning before they felt completely refreshed and renewed, ready to move on with their lives.

16