Chapter 3 – Leveling Up
5.5k 8 120
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having taken over one blade of bluegrass, Moss was able to become one with the piece of grass. He could control the grass as if it was his own from the beginning. Moss leaned left and right and felt the warmth of the last rays of sunlight wash over him. The former saint could not see the setting sun; however, he could imagine it with the incoming chill of the night.

 

But, as a plant, Moss did not need to rest. As long as there was a constant flow of nutrients replenishing his strength, he could keep being active. Moss looked over to the bluegrass swaying next to him. It took him nearly three hours to completely take over a blade of bluegrass. Would it take another three hours to take over the one next to him?

 

Shouldn’t be. I’m more proficient now. If anything, it should take less time. Moss trembled slightly as he objected himself. Moss looked over his status and noticed that some things were different…updated.

Announcement

Name: Moss

Title: Bluegrass Yellow Patch Virus (BYPV)

Host: Bluegrass

Rank: Species

Level: 0

Infection Progress (IP): 1/1000

STATS:

  • Infectivity – 1
  • Severity – 1
  • Lethality – 0
  • Durability – 1
  • ??? – N/A

SKILLS:

  • Cellular Instability (Active) – causes a cell to become unstable enough for mutations to occur.
  • Pollinate (Active) – fertilizes other plants with infected seeds.
  • Mental Link (Passive) – connects with anything that Moss infects.

SYMPTOMS:

  • Color Change – changes color of infected yellow
  • Withering – absorbs all of the moisture in affected area, creating a sort of dry and withered look

RESISTANCES:

  • None

It seemed that after Moss took over the blade of bluegrass, he had accessed the plant’s capabilities. With the ability to pollinate, Moss had solved his issue of transmitting his viral self to other bluegrasses. Moss glanced over at the bluegrass next to him and aimed a blast of pollination towards the plant.

 

A puff of pollen landed on the bluegrass and entered it. The infected seeds released the virus upon fertilization and the virus immediately started working its magic. Moss could feel his control gradually taking over the bluegrass until finally, after an hour, the bluegrass was under his control.

 

Infection Progress (IP): 2/1000

 

As expected, the take over time decreased with increasing proficiency. In other words, the next few infections will take even less time. Moss connected with the second bluegrass using <<Mental Link>> and felt that he could control both bluegrasses as easily as when he controlled one.

 

With this newfound discovery, Moss looked towards the other bluegrass and wondered…what was his limit? With quick succession, Moss activated <<Pollinate>> and infected even more bluegrasses. However, no matter how many he infected, he could not see his limit.

 

Infection Progress (IP): 3/1000

.

.

.

Infection Progress (IP): 100/1000

.

.

.

Infection Progress (IP): 1000/1000

 

DING!

 

INFECTION PROGRESS REACHED LIMIT

 

COMMENCING LEVEL UP

 

LEVEL UP COMPLETED

 

Moss was delighted when he saw that he had leveled up. After infecting a thousand blades of bluegrass, Moss had become an expert. He could infect a bluegrass in a matter of minutes. After spending nearly three days on completing the task, he had leveled up. The virus quickly checked his status to see if there were any other changes besides the level up.

Announcement

Name: Moss

Title: Bluegrass Yellow Patch Virus (BYPV)

Host: Bluegrass

Rank: Species

Level: 1

Infection Progress (IP): 1000/10000

STATS:

  • Infectivity – 1
  • Severity – 1
  • Lethality – 0
  • Durability – 2
  • ??? – N/A

SKILLS:

  • Cellular Instability (Active) – causes a cell to become unstable enough for mutations to occur.
  • Pollinate (Active) – fertilizes other plants with infected seeds.
  • Mental Link (Passive) – connects with anything that Moss infects.

SYMPTOMS:

  • Color Change – changes color of infected yellow
  • Withering – absorbs all of the moisture in affected area, creating a sort of dry and withered look

RESISTANCES:

  • Cold Resistance – 0.1%

It seemed that not only did his level increase, but so did his viral durability. Now, his infection agents could stay hidden or visible inside an infected organism for two days without taking over. As for the IP needed for the next level up, Moss was rather surprised at the large limit cap. He had thought he needed another one thousand infections to level up, but instead, he needed nine thousand more.

 

And then there was the cold resistance. Maybe it was because he had been active during the cold nights or maybe it was because of the chilly season, Moss was not surprised about discovering that he had developed a resistance to the cold. Knowing what to expect, Moss continued to grind away with infecting as many blades of bluegrass as he could.

 

Infection Progress (IP): 1001/10000

.

.

.

Infection Progress (IP): 4367/10000

.

.

.

Infection Progress (IP): 5000/10000

 

And then, it happened. Moss was just halfway through becoming level two when suddenly….

 

[Halt! Who goes there?]

120