Gentle Rain – Chen Bolin and Dà Bai
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Summery:

An Empire is a drought and the only way the selfish ruler can think to solve it? Sacrifice one of his sons. Get rid of the useless child and get rain, two birds with one stone. This is the story as to why his crooked self ever received the rain he desired.

 

Warning:

No real warning other than it being rushed so lowered quality and a bit shorter than the others, although I know it's not much of a warning.

 


 

Atop the tallest mountain in the Great Empire was a lake, a pure and clear spring untouched by human hands. It was well-known across the lands that within that pure lake slept a mystical dragon god, one who could control the weather.

In recent years the rain had been falling less and less, creating a drought and shortage of food across the majority of the empire. This greatly displeased the cruel and greedy human emperor who loved wine and food as he could only acquire lower quality goods now. The emperor had thought of no solutions until one day, an old wise man came to palace at the emperor's demand.

After the emperor spoke the old wise man replied, "Oh great Emperor, the dragon god does not often concern itself with human matters, but it certainly seems that it has been displeased recently. We should simply wait and hope this displeasure is temporary and hat it passes." The emperor was enraged at the old wise man's words and demanded he offer an immediate solution or be executed as a fraud. The old man sighed and spoke once more, "Then I can only think of providing the dragon god a pleasing offering and respectfully asking for rain, one must not demand or be to forward lest we spur his anger and displeasure further. I plead that all remember that arrogance and greed before the dragon god is like a mouse taunting a tiger." The emperor quickly forgot the old wise man's words other than the idea of an offering. 

The greedy emperor spent one whole night thinking along side his vassals and searching for what may please the dragon god that would not be any of his own great treasures. Come sunrise, the emperor gathered all the offerings and called forth his 8th child, prince Chen Bolin. The 8th prince had no right to inherit the throne, he was weak since birth, and was often compared to a woman with his pale skin and delicate frame. He could not be given difficult tasks due to his weakness, and no foreign princess wanted such a weak and feminine looking husband. Due to this, the young man often stayed imprisoned within his own room under the false pretense of poor health. Many times had Chen Bolin imaged his father or mother calling for him and giving him a task so he could show them his worth. Many times he had dreamed of them calling his name and smiling, but he knew it would only ever be a passing fantasy

While that day did finally come, it was sadly not as he imagined. He bowed before his emperor father and eagerly awaited his royal words.

"Son of mine, now has come the time for you to step up," The cruel man spoke, knowing his sons wishes and taking advantage of them, "The land and people are without rain and the food is running out. To solve this we have no choice but to request the dragon god atop the eastern mountain range to send us rain. We plan to send many offerings but we need you to make the request as no one else is able to do so, and those who can are far too daring to stand before him. Only you are fit for this task, my son." Chen Bolin trembled at his father's words.

Who did not know that if the request angered the dragon god or if the offerings were not sufficient, the requester would be eaten? Who did not know of the many risks it would bring to the land if he failed? It was then the prince knew just what worth he held to his father, no different than a wooden box given away, used, and broken without a thought or care. Even so, the filial son took up his emperor father's orders to set out with the travelling company. 

Even if it was only for a short time, finally Chen Bolin could now see the world beyond his windowed walls. It was only once he saw the horse drawn sedan and while satin silk dressings that he realized that he was not even a messenger, no, he was simply another offering to the dragon god. The prince was greatly saddened by this revelation, but he boarded after shedding only a single tear. One tear for his previous dreams that have now been killed off.

As the travelling company entered the town the prince was amazed and enthralled at the view of so many people coming to see him off in hopes of rain. Chen Bolin then shed two more tears. One tear for knowing he would never return or see such a sight again, and another for the pain his country's people felt. Yes, what was most important, more than his own greed and desire to be loved by that man he once called father was the lives of the people who were tired and hungry from working despite the lack of water and food and awaiting the rain that sustains life. 

Once the company had left the town the prince took in the nature around, dried and brown. The trip to the dragon god's domain would take 9 days of travelling with few stops, only to properly rest at night.

It was on the 5th night of travelling, when most of the greatly tired guards went to rest, that Chen Bolin sneaked out of the camp and chose to explore the outside world he had never been allowed to see. He was enchanted by the land around him, despite the lack of water and green color it was still full of plants and animals that called this place home, almost all of which he had never seen within the palace. He wandered until he came across a small pond that had been dried out. Chen Bolin could not help but feel his heart ache at the sight, it was like a wondrous painting lacking so much color. The prince could clearly see the dried up bodies of toads and small fish that once lived here.

The prince stood at the dirt edge of the dried-up pond and cried, more than one or two tears. His life held no importance to anyone, but his death would bring salvation to the people, animals, and land. A rustling caught his attention. As he turned towards the noise, through his hazy tear-filled eyes he saw a large silver wolf with ice blue eyes, like one out of the tales he read at the castle. He could not help but believe it was a spirit beast, perhaps even the lord of the nearby land, such beauty and majesty it showed.

"Have you come to drink?" Chen Bolin asked with a cracked voice. "I am afraid no water remains here, but I carry some with me." He took only two steps before pouring a cup of water for the majestic creature and retreating as he saw the wolf raise it's caution at his approach. He watched as the wolf approached the cup and drink it all down. The wolf licked it's nose before approaching Chen Bolin and sitting at a short distance from his crouched figure. Chen Bolin smiled at the wonderous creature before venting some of his sorrows.

"I will soon be offered to the dragon god along side other treasures in hopes for rain to fall once more. If he is satisfied with our offerings perhaps this pond can be filled once more and you will have more to drink." Chen Bolin spoke while tears escaped his eyes. The wolf approached and lapped up the tears that fell from his eyes. The prince laughed, "I'm afraid my tears are not plentiful enough and too salty to drink." He joked as he saw the wolf's beauty up close. He lightly pet the wolf's mane, "Yes, let up hope we can satisfy him so you won't be so thirsty."

"I must return now before they realize I am gone, please stay well." The prince pet the wolf once more and turned to return to camp without looking back in hopes of strengthening his resolve even if just a bit.

Perhaps, if he had, he would have seen the intelligent gleam within the beast's eyes before it turned and walked right past the pond filled with clear freshwater and lined with lush, green grass.

Once Chen Bolin had returned he quickly entered the sedan without alerting the guards.

On the 6th night Chen Bolin escaped once more and explored the area only to spot the silver wolf once more. "Have you followed me? Were worried for me? Or were you perhaps just thirsty?" The prince chuckled lightly. He poured another cup for the wolf and watched as the beast quickly gulped it down. "I guess that answers my question." he said with a heftier laugh.

Once more the wolf approached him, but this time it laid down beside him. The prince pet the wolf once more and spoke of his life as he had no one who would listen before. He spoke of his hopes and wishes, taking longer than the night before to return.

The same happened when Chen Bolin escaped on the 7th night, within the forest, the silver wolf awaited him. This time he spoke of his passions and of the stories he had read through his lifetime, taking longer than the night before.

Once he returned he had been caught by a guard and tied up within the sedan despite his struggling and refusal at the accusation of escaping. It was much later on the 8th night when the prince met with the wolf, he had to escape the ropes and slip past the guards. Even if the wolf did not come he still wished to explore a little more before his life ended, despite that he was sad when he did not see the wolf. Under the guise of 'exploring' he searched for the beast only for it to find him first with a face full of tears.

"I'm sorry." Chen Bolin muttered as he kneeled and hugged the beast closely. "I was caught returning yesterday and they fear me running away so it took me a long time to escape the ropes. Haha," He laughed brokenly, "They fear me being damaged before I can be sacrificed so they did not tie me up too tightly." He spoke to the wolf who lapped up his tears in a comforting manner. "I'm afraid I could not bring you water today, they took it from me so I would be unable to run away even if I did escape."

On that 8th night the prince spoke to the wolf of his fears and worries, sheading a tear for each one. This time he spoke for a long time, and all the while the wolf patiently listened. Once Chen Bolin had cried all the tears his eyes would allow him and the wolf lapped them all up, he decided it was time to return before the guards found out and went to search for him. As he stood up from where he sat to return the wolf seemed reluctant to let him go.

"I must return, otherwise who will ask for rain from the dragon god? This is my duty..." The prince said as he softly pet the wolf. "Can I call you Dà Bai? Dà Bai, be good and don't follow us tomorrow. Go home and await the rain. You may may not know this but the palace servants did not speak much to me and I was not allowed out until recently, so you are my only true friend. We are heading to the dragon god's lake, so if you follow you may anger him and get hurt so please, don't come. You must return to your home and live long and well for me. Live well in my place."

The wolf stared at him for a moment before turning and running off into the forest. Chen Bolin could not help but offer a sad smile, to understand his words and leave, Dà Bai must indeed have been a spirit beast but he had not once spoken back to the prince. However, he did not even to refuse the name Chen Bolin impertinently gave him which likely meant he accepted it. He was happy with just that.

As the prince returned he was once again captured and sealed with in the sedan but he did not struggle or refuse this time, there was no use anymore. The next day, they quickly arrived at the entrance to the dragon god's domain.

*Boom - Crackle - Crash*

The ringing sound of thunder echoing across the mountain range and the bright flashes of lightning that refused to touch the ground lit up the dark forest. It was clear that something had angered the dragon god, more than before. The company placed the offerings just beyond the lake's clearing and quickly retreated leaving the prince completely by himself, taking even the horses and sedan with them as they rushed to retreat as far away as possible and as quickly as they could. Chen Bolin changed his white satin silk dressings for cleaner ones before stepping off the sedan and now approached the dragon god's lake alone. A thunderous voice, lined with impatience, called out.

"Who goes there!" It was a deep voice that reminded one of thrashing waves against the coast.

The prince immediately got down on both knees and lowered his head deeply, showing the greatest respect he could to the dragon god.

"My name is Chen Bolin, oh mighty dragon god! I do not dare invade your home and simply came in hopes that you might listen to my lowly self." He spoke in a clear and steady voice, contrary to the fear coursing through his veins and suffocating his lungs. There was silence for a moment.

"Speak." The thunderous voice commanded.

"My lowly self is but the 8th prince of the empire below your great mountain range. I and my companions have come to bring you offerings in hopes that you may grant us the mercy of rain in our time of need." Chen Bolin offered.

"Why should I care for the humans who only make others suffer due to their greed?" The voice growled, fully aware of the temperament of those behind the request. "Are you yourself not also a victim of such greed?" Chen Bolin's entire body trembled for a moment as he felt as though a cold wind blew through him. He did not know how the dragon god knew or how much he knew, but his purpose would not change.

"I am indeed, but even so I do not feel as though there no point. Even if you do not care for the humans, what of the plants and animals that live here? I've seen some of the land one my travels here and the sight of thirsty animals and brown grass pains me. Oh mighty dragon god! I only have these offerings and myself to give you but I beg you answer my lowly pleas." Chen Bolin said without wavering, and though there was no answer for some time, the distant thunder slowly quietened. 

"You, 'Gentle Morning Rain'1This is a rough translation as I speak absolutely NO Chinese in reality. Bolin = Gentle Rain & Chen = Morning. I got it off a naming website, if you do speak the language please correct me and tell me if it's used wrong?, you suffer for those who will not cry for you, yet you do not hold any resentment in your heart. A befitting name for the gentle one who wishes for rain."

There was a sound of rustling grass some distance away, but even so the prince did not dare raise his head without permission.

"Raise your head and set your eyes upon my form." The being commanded and the prince did as he was told, only to feel his blood turn to ice. What stood before him was the silver wolf with ice blue eyes. As Chen Bolin recalled that a dragon god could change their form to their pleasing, his mind filled with all the times he acted so terribly rude and audacious.

What dragon god could not get it's own water? What dragon god would listen to a human's rants? What dragon god would be pet by a human? What dragon god would be named by a human?! The prince immediately groveled before the majestic being and begged forgiveness for his previous transgressions only for the other's laugh to echo out.

"There is no need for that, raise your head. I have heard your story and deeply enjoyed your company in that form, would you face my human form and tell me if it is to your liking?" The dragon said softer than before.

"Any form your greatness takes... w... -ould..." Chen Bolin trailed off when he lifted his head. No longer was there a wolf before him, but a divinely handsome and lofty man who's icy eyes seemed to pierce and hypnotic the soul and who's skin seemed to shimmer under the sun. Behind him trailed a tail several meters long with pure white scales and fur trailing down the spine.

It appeared Chen Bolin's reaction was to the dragon god's liking as he narrowed his eyes in satisfaction and a bewitching smile crossed his lips, the tip of his tail flicking around.

"Does this form please you?" The dragon god asked in a sultry voice, with a hint of teasing, as he approached the still kneeling human.

"Yes..." The young prince squeezed out from his forgotten voice, eyes never moving away from the other.

"Then, call my name, and I shall grant your wish." The dragon god said as he crouched before him.

"N-Name?"

"Indeed, the wonderful name you've granted me."

"Th-that was a-" Chen Bolin thinking the dragon god would be displeased with such a childish name tried to retract it but was cut off.

"Are you saying the name I've taken a liking to is a mistake?" The dragon god said impatiently a soft threat in his eyes.

"N- I dare not!" The human said in a panic.

"Then... Say it."

"That is..." Chen Bolin was hesitant but at the dragon god's urging he did not dare delay it any longer. "Dà... Dà Bai." 

"Yes. Call me that from now on, Gentle Rain." Dà Bai said, again narrowing his eyes in pleasure. In one swift motion he swept up the human into him arms and walked back towards the lake.

"L-Lord Dà Bai?" Chen Bolin said in a tentative way.

"No need for the honorifics, just Dà Bai is good. What is it?" He replied with a smile.

"Ah-um, the other offerings?" The prince said as he peeked over the other's shoulder to where all the items lay.

"I've no need for them, and you along with every tear you've shed is more than enough to make up for every drop of rain, but I can take them if you wish?"

"There is no need for them if you do not wish for them, but it is better than leaving them for thieves, no?" He suggested.

"Hm. Yes, my Gentle Rain is right, we do not want thieves to think they can do as they want here and leaving them to rot is a waste." He muttered and with a flick of his tail a thick fog wrapped around the items and they vanished. The fog dispersed and covered the entire mountain range as it usually would during times of rain.

Just as Chen Bolin thought so, he felt a *plip* of water fall on his face. Just as he looks up the dark clouds are no longer thundering, but instead pouring out large amounts of water. He felt the rain seep into his clothes and soak his body, and despite the chill it gave him he smiled knowing that everyone would no longer have to worry about rain.

Dà Bai just silently watched the little humans changes in mood and expression and could not help the soft ache in his heart. What a cute little thing, he thought to himself before speaking.

"Your wish has been fulfilled, surely you are ready now?" Just as he finished saying so, he felt Chen Bolin stiffen and tense up in his arms.

"Y-Yes." He said trembling. Dà Bai couldn't help but chuckle softly at his cuteness, without realizing it only furthered Chen Bolin's fear.

"Then let us depart?" Dà Bai spoke before kissing Chen Bolin to give him breath underwater and swiftly diving under the water to return to his palace. Before the human prince could register all that had happened he found himself in an extremely large and beautifully decorated bedroom above a just as extravagantly large bed. He was swiftly pinned to the bed by Dà Bai who had already shed his upper robes.

"Surely you know what comes next, yes?" He said teasingly.

"I-I'm going t-to be eaten." He said in a shaky voice.

"Correct." Dà Bai growled back.

Prince Chen Bolin was indeed eaten by the Dragon God Dà Bai, but not the way he had originlly suspected~. 

After the rain fell and the land was once again prosperous, the greedy king found himself riddled with misfortune until the day he died.


About 3346 words, yay~!

As I've said before I take my time with these stories, and though you may not be able to read them, I have about 5 or so incomplete ones just waiting for me to finish them currently, hahahaha... ha... I need motivation.

0