Ch 1 – Wait I’m a cockroach now?
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ailen groaned as his conscience returned to him. He felt as if he had just risen from a deep slumber.

 

“Hmmm”

 

So comfortable. Never before in his life has he had such a pleasant rest. What was he sleeping on? His bed has never felt this comfortable.

 

A sharp, blinding light shone on him, disrupting his sleep.

 

‘Ugh’

 

Ailen strained to open his eyes, fighting back the urge to fall back to sleep. After a few moments of struggle, his vision was filled with green.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Where am I?”

 

Ailen was very confused. Instead of seeing the bland ceiling to his room, he was presented with a blue sky and something green on all sides. 

 

‘Am I outside?’

 

That had to be the case. A bright sun and clouds could also be seen. 

 

As his eyes adjusted to the light, it became much clearer. It looked like there was grass surrounding him, but it wasn’t similar to the grass he was used to seeing. It was so tall, almost as tall as a tree.

 

He had to be dreaming. After all, he’s never seen grass this large. But wasn’t this too real to be a dream?

 

He could hear vividly, the chirp of birds and the faint whistle of wind. Ailen decided he needs to know more information.

 

He tried to raise himself up. When he glanced at his arm ----

 

“Aiiiiiiiiiiiiii”

 

--- he shrieked out of shock.

 

What he saw was not his arm, but a long, pointed, leg of a cockroach.

 

‘What happened to me?’

 

His mind almost exploded with the flurry of thoughts that entered it. Was he a cockroach now?

 

While the thought was very foolish, it seemed to be the only possibility. He was sure he wasn’t dreaming. All of his senses worked. If he really was a cockroach, it couldn’t be a kidnapping.

 

Ailen had often read novels where the protagonist would get reincarnated into another world. Maybe this was similar? But why a cockroach, he pondered.

 

Even if it wasn’t a human, he could have reincarnated into lots of other species. Or maybe even monsters. How cool would it be if he became an orc or a dragon.

 

But it seemed like the gods decided on the cockroach. Either way, he needed to gather more evidence before he could come to this conclusion.

 

But dont’t these reincarnated persons get memories of their new identity? Ailen searched through his memories for anything related to where he was or what was going on but he couldn’t find anything.

 

Rustle, Rustle

 

Suddenly, Ailen could hear something coming out of the grass. He quickly raised his body and readied himself. It would probably be easy to kill a cockroach, but he had to try anyway.

 

“That’s where you were.”

 

A cockroach entered the small clearing and said something. But this was strange. Ailen only knew English thus far, and he was sure that cockroaches didn’t speak English. But it seemed as though this other cockroach could speak words. Also, even though this cockroach was making sounds that Ailen hasn’t heard before, he could understand perfectly.

 

It was a deep, and gentle voice. 

 

“Come on Zuro, it’s time for the launch of the invasion. Get your stuff ready.”

 

It looked like this cockroach was addressing him. But what is going on, Ailen thought. Invasion? Were the cockroaches going to invade something? And what stuff should he get ready?

 

“Ah! Right, you usually get lost. Remember to use the map in your status to find your way to the barracks.”

 

Status? This was a word he never thought he would hear here. Right when he thought that, a holographic window filled his vision.

 

[Status Window]

Name: Zuro

Affiliation: The Legion Army, 47th Division 3rd Brigade 5th Regiment

Rank: Private

Class: Healer

Level: 1

 

[Basic Stats]

Strength: 2 Agility: 3 Defense: 3 Magic: 8

 

[Abilities]

None

 

[End]

 

Woah! Overwhelmed by the information, Ailen fell backwards.

 

“Alright, make sure you reach on time. Today’s an important day”

 

With that, the other cockroach exited through the same area he entered through. But Ailen was so focused on the information in front of him that he barely noticed the other cockroach’s exit.

 

‘This looks so familiar.’

 

The status window was almost identical to the status screen shown within Ailen’s favorite game, Legion Attack. Ailen’s eyes widened as he noticed another similar feature of the window.

 

‘The Legion Army?’

 

They were the main enemies in Legion Attack. After their land was taken by the kingdom of Leuginia tens of years ago, they finally decided to invade humanity and reclaim their land. But throughout the time period of the game, they get wiped out. Players of the game are the heroes of the kingdom who fight against the Legion Army. 

 

‘Does that mean I’m part of the Legion Army?’

 

Ailen thought in bewilderment. But he looked just like a small cockroach. In the game, the soldiers of the Legion Army were humanoid creatures with strengthened abilities. The only difference was their heads, which resemble cockroaches.

 

But the more important thing was that he would die! If Ailen continued to be part of the army, he would soon die at the hands of a hero of the kingdom. Either way, he needs to know more.

 

Ailen came to a conclusion after pondering for a while. While he still had thousands of questions, he decides to follow along for now.

 

‘Right, I should refer to the map’

 

In Legion Attack, the player simply had to think ‘Map’ and the map would open. While Ailen wasn’t sure if it would work, he decided to give it a try anyway.

 

‘Map’

 

The status window was replaced with a new view with a live map. It was exactly what he thought it would be.

 

A blinking yellow point was indicated on the map. In the game, those points were used to represent quests, so it should be where he should go next.

 

Ailen starts moving in the direction of the point.

0