Legacy World 2.4
558 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, back in Alice room.

She reflected on the fight with the fire user while looking at the water ball floating above her bandaged hand. She thought about how her water wall changed to steam. Understanding our ability like it is a part of our body... I know the chemistry of water and about the movement of particles... Would it be possible to manipulate it down to the individual particles?

She visualised her water ability down to its individual water particles then imagined them moving differently. She visualised slowing down the particles' movement and making them increasingly compact. Sweat began to bead on her forehead from her intense concentration. It took a whole five minutes before BaoBao exclaimed, "I see some frost forming on the surface!"

Alice made the water disperse and panted. It's possible! I can change the state of my water!

BaoBao could not believe it too. If she could change the state of water into ice and vapour, it would become as if she has three abilities! "Are we finally an overpowered character?" BaoBao's eyes started to twinkle.

"Don't be ridiculous. Didn't you see how weak my individual ability is from my fight today? Besides, we shouldn't be hoping to become that strong. Did you forget our purpose?"

BaoBao looked down in shame. He had indeed gotten carried away.

Alice intensified her physical and martial arts training, and re-planned her ability training. She prioritized practicing to change the state of her water ability followed by the typical attack and defense training. After that, to train her endurance and precision of control, she would constantly keep a thin film of water barrier around her body that is so thin it was hardly noticeable. These were all hard work that drained her stamina and energy. Without the spiritual cultivation from the previous world to restore energy, she felt even more tired by the end of the day. This made her more listless through the day and she would knock out cold on the bed every night.

After three days was up and her burns were healed, Alice got ready to attend class again.

When she opened the door of her room to go to class, she saw Violet with her hand raised like she was about to knock on the door.

"Good morning Alice!" Violet greeted her chirpily.

Alice simply blinked in response.

"Let's go to class together." Violet said warmly.

"Our classes are at different locations."

"Mine's just a little further off. I want to use every second I can to be with you. Aren't we friends now?"

"We are?"

"Yes!" Violet said in a very optimistic tone.

I can't fight it if she insists. Not with that loyal guard dog she has. "We'll simply have lunch together then. Otherwise, please leave me alone." Alice walked off without waiting for a response. She also noted how Violet had not noticed the water barrier around her. She has been keeping it up from the moment she woke up.

Violet did not feel disheartened and simply walked silently beside Alice. She believed that Alice was simply used to fending for herself and that she has her guard permanently up against others with all that she has been through. She was determined to get Alice to trust her.

Alice, the characters in this world seem far more stubborn than the last world's.

It's probably due to the close link the original soul has with them. She was likely heavily reliant on their protection but only significantly contributed to the plot at a crucial point. Alice no longer cared nor minded how much they intended to stick to her. She has completely immersed herself into her mission by now to prevent a slip up like three days before. She also was sure to not trust nor rely on characters who would only follow their script.

This continued on for a month. It would be either Violet, Stephan, or Ethan walking her to class. It was like they were rotating shifts. It was only Violet who tried to strike up a conversation from time to time but Alice never reciprocated. BaoBao would feel a little bad for Violet but he knew that Alice was doing it on purpose to drive them away. 

One day, Stephan finally broke the ice. "Hey, she's getting a little depressed. Can't you at least warm up to her a little?"

"Why not get her to give up on me instead?"

"She can't turn a blind eye on you."

"That's her issue then."

"You think you can make it by yourself?" Stephan was starting to get annoyed by her freezing cold attitude.

"If I can't, I deserve to die. Isn't it?" Alice finally turned around to look at him in the eye when she said this seriously. It was on purpose. She knew what he believed in. "I didn't know that rule has changed already." 

Stephan did not know how to continue so clamped his mouth shut. She's so hard to talk to.

On another day, Ethan spoke up too. "It's been a month, why are you still so cold?"

The female lead is certainly well looked after. "Why should I care for her like the both of you do?"

Ethan frowned in great displeasure. Her? When did Violet become the subject?

He grabbed her wrist and was surprised by how cold and clammy it felt. His eyes brightened in realization. He was a water user as well after all. She... really never slackens off. This made his expression turn dark again. He felt pride welling in his heart but he was upset as well. 

"The question is why can't you? Why do you have to stay so aloof and disconnected? Stop fighting as if you're alone. You're no longer alone." I am here with you.

Alice looked at him dead in the eye. "I have always been alone and will always be alone."

Her reply stunned him which caused his grip to loosen. Alice walked off to class and left him behind. Ethan never bothered to catch up to her. He decided to return to Violet's side. Since she doesn't want to be protected, we won't.

Since that day, none of the trio appeared at her doorstep again. She sighed in relief inwardly. She had wondered about the impact their actions and insistent protection would have on the fulfillment of the original soul's wish.

Over the next few days, people quickly took notice how she did not seem to be protected any more. Everyone had recognised Alice as under Violet's protection so no one had dared to disturb or touch her. Gossip passed around about Alice being left alone again and everyone seemed sure that they have fallen out with each other. Some people had seen Stephan's and Ethan's looks of displeasure when they were around her, while Violet would look a little down. This gave the bullies courage to try messing with her again.

Finally, the day came when they tried approaching her in the canteen. Alice has been eating the canteen's food because it was truly more delicious than what BaoBao or she could make. They were not chefs.

Alice, troublemakers are here. Ever since BaoBao's slip the first time that caused her to be dragged off, he never dared to be careless again.

Good timing. I just recently managed to change my element into its different states. How about we see its effects on people now?

BaoBao laughed in glee.

As the group of boys with evil smirks on their faces approached Alice, they realised that the canteen felt colder. They frowned, it was not the time of the year when it would be this cold. They rubbed the goosebumps off their arms as they continued to approach her. 

They gradually realised that it was odd. The temperature has dropped to become biting cold but everyone else in the canteen seemed perfectly normal. Someone in their group yelled in shock and fear. His fingers were starting to have frost covering it. 

Everyone immediately shared the same thought. Stephan! 

"Run!" The leader ordered and retreated with his group.

This was because Stephan was known to have ice as one of his abilities. It was a convenient misunderstanding for Alice.

That worked quite well. But freezing people does take a lot of effort and concentration... More practice is needed. Alice silently and diligently took notes from this confrontation.

Unbeknownst to Alice and BaoBao, the trio were on the second floor eating their lunch and talking about Alice, again. 

Violet looked at the cherry blossom tree that was far away from the canteen's building. They could see a tiny lone figure eating under the tree. No one else sits there besides Alice, that was how they knew it was her.

Violet sighed. She has not touched her food. She did not have an appetite.

"Just forget about her. Stop torturing yourself." Stephan tried to persuade Violet.

"Why can't she trust me?"

"She knows the rule of this world. She's ready to die." Stephan explained.

"And I don't know it? Am I supposed to let her die one day from being bullied, just like that?" Violet snapped. 

Stephan knew she was genuinely upset this time, so he kept quiet.

"I precisely want to change the way people look at each other... We're not animals.. We're capable of compassion for the weak."

Stephan stroked her head and apologised. 

Ethan who has been keeping his eye on Alice suddenly voiced out, "Perhaps we've been trying to gain her trust the wrong way."

"What?" Violet turned her attention on him. 

He continued to look at Alice while he explained. "We've been doing whatever we wanted but not what she wanted."

"She wants to be left alone. We're giving that to her now. She's not coming to us though." Stephan said.

"No. She wants to become strong. She's trying very hard by herself. We were only impeding her efforts." Ethan continued to explain.

Violet's eyes brightened. "How can we help her achieve that then?"

Ethan finally looked away from Alice to suggest to the both of them seriously. "Since she doesn't want our protection, we can teach her how she can protect herself. It'll build a healthier relationship instead, where she doesn't feel dependent on us."

Violet agreed with him excitedly. "You're the best, Ethan!"

Ethan smiled. His heart warmed. However, he noticed that it was not as intense as it used to be. 

"Hey, hey, I'm the strongest here. I'm the best here, not him."

Violet stuck her tongue out at him in defiance. She hastily dragged the boys to the cherry blossom tree before Alice would be done with her lunch.

 

"Alice! It's been some time since we last met!" Violet greeted upon reaching Alice.

BaoBao had warned Alice of the trio's arrival so she was not taken by surprise. She silently looked at them. 

Violet lightly coughed then continued, "Can we... help you on your path to be stronger?"

Alice indicated her interest by tilting her head slightly. This encouraged Violet a lot. "What do you think about sparring together from now on? It's good practice for us. After all, fighting against humans is different from just throwing attacks and hitting targets!"

Alice looked down and considered the suggestion seriously. She knew the benefits of sparring the most. She had reaped a lot from it in the previous world. Even her experience earlier told her that she needed some practice applying her abilities on a person. It was truly not a bad suggestion. It was no longer a relationship that made Alice dependent on them.

When Violet saw Alice's interest and lack of resistance, she got excited and exclaimed, "We can spar whenever you're free!" However, this made Alice look at them and frown a little.

Ethan quickly corrected Violet's mistake. "Of course she meant whenever you're free during our free time."

BaoBao secretly commended Ethan. Good save by the second male lead.

I agree. He really knows how to help Violet achieve what she wants. Alice's expression lightened up and she nodded. "When are you free?"

After they found their mutually free time slots, Alice decided on sparring in the night when there would be fewer people up and about. They also decided that the venue of their sparring would be in a battle hall made for matches.

Once everything was decided, the trio turned to leave. Alice suddenly said out loud enough for them to hear. "Thank you." 

They could tell a difference. This was the most sincere Alice has ever been with them. This made Violet tear up. She turned around to say with glassy eyes, "Thank Ethan. It was his idea. And thank you for giving me a chance to be by your side."

Alice looked at Ethan. Ethan did not smile but nodded his head to show his acknowledgement. Unlike what was on his face, his heart was filled with joy and happiness. It felt stronger than when Violet said that he was the best. He was happy that he could finally give Alice something she desired. He was happy that she seemed pleased.

After the trio left, BaoBao reported to her. The girl has left the scene.

Let's wait and see if she's the second female lead. 

There had been a girl spying on their interaction from a distance away. She was at a distance where she could not hear what they were saying but could clearly see the relaxed expressions of the boys and Violet's happy expression. The desire to be in Alice's place took root inside her as she left the scene when the trio did.

12