Legacy World 5.15
264 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eva felt like she cried for a very long while before she finally calmed down. Her nose was completely blocked, her eyes felt puffy and sore, and she felt completely drained. She really cried with everything she had. 

Damn it... I must look unsightly now... She leaned back slightly while keeping her face angled down and saw the mess on Austin's shirt that she was responsible for. Oh god.

She kept her head hanging low in embarrassment while she wiped whatever was remaining on her face with her long sleeves.

Austin looked down and could only see the back of her head. Realising that she would not look up at him anytime soon, he lightly rested his head against hers. He did not remember exactly how or when but some time while they were crying in each other's arms, they shifted into a more comfortable position. He was now sitting with his legs apart and bent while Eva sat between his legs with her forehead lightly touching his shoulder.

"Earlier... You asked me why I was treating you nicely... I honestly don't know. What I'm about to say may sound crazy but... When I first met you, I felt like I recognised you from somewhere. I know it's weird, because I'm sure I've never met you before. Overtime, there was just something about you that drew me to you. A strange curiosity about who you are and how you're like. It just felt so right each time I got closer to you. To think that there'd be such a relation between our families... Ever since I found out about your true identity, I could not stop thinking like I was doing something wrong. Like I was letting my parents down. Like I was supposed to avert my eyes away from you. I was ready to let you go, you know?"

He then laughed lightly. "Then I had a weird dream that scared me witless. You were dying... Then there were voices. It felt like I was reminding myself of some promise or vow that I made. If I had to make a wild guess, perhaps we somehow knew each other in our past lives... Or something like that?"

Eva's still puffy eyes grew wider in surprise and her breathing almost came to a standstill.

"How odd, huh?" He smiled awkwardly.

They continued to sit together in silence while Eva contemplated. Perhaps it was because he broached the subject, perhaps it was because they were just being them right now and nobody else, perhaps it was because they were sharing a very vulnerable moment with each other, Eva opened up. She pulled away from him, took the notebook, then started writing.

"I had a dream too. I lived a very fortunate life in that dream. I was part of a warm and loving family. Although it was not easy because they do not pamper me and my siblings were really great people while I was just an average joe, they were the best family I could ever ask for."

Austin could understand what she meant to a some extent. He may not have siblings, but it reminded him of his parents and the way they brought him up strictly but filled with love.

"I yearned to be with them after I woke up. That was when I started to live a lie. I shut my eyes and plugged my ears. I lied to myself and hurt all who cared about me in the process of it. In the end, I'm just a dumb delusional idiot who should learn to face reality."

"I guess I'm not the only one then."

Eva looked at him and cocked her head.

His lips quirked up a little. "Aren't I the same? Behaving weirdly and influenced by my dream. But we've both gotten our wake up call, huh? This is our world and reality now, and we''ll live as such from this moment on."

Eva had a doubtful expression on her face that showed she still felt unconvinced about something.

"You still think you deserve to be punished for all that happened?"

Eva nodded but it was less forceful and stubborn than how she was earlier. There was clarity in her eyes which reflected her clearer and calmer state of mind. She even backed up her opinion with an explanation. "I'm really not a nice person. I'm sinful. I can't forgive myself."

"...There's something else you're still holding back, isn't it?"

Eva cast her eyes down and stayed that way. She did not feel ready to open up more than she already had.

I'll just wait then. "In that case, I've decided."

Eva looked up at him and held his gaze steadily.

"Live your life for me."

She frowned. "Didn't you say that you'll judge me for who I am in this world? That you won't be influenced by your dream?"

"Exactly. I recognise that you're the daughter of my parents' killers. I also recognise that I know almost nothing about you as a person. It doesn't make any sense that I'd like you. I'm making my decision based on what I do know about you. I've watched you since we were young. You're earnest, sincere, and hardworking. Now that you've awakened from your stupor and are repentant, I ask for you to give that loyalty to me. Be my sword and shield. Live and die for me."

"Are you sure about this? I'd make a flimsy sword and a weak shield."

"I'll judge that for myself. I should be the one asking if you truly understand the seriousness of this. I ask for only your best." It was as if he was giving her a grave warning.

Eva looked at him tearfully then knelt properly on one knee to bow to him.

He nodded then stood up. "You'll start immediately after you get well. You'll be known to others as my bodyguard from now on."

She nodded and he left the room to call for the doctor.

What's with that?! BaoBao suddenly exclaimed. And here I was, thinking that things were going well! Now you're being treated like a spare life again, just for someone else?!

On the contrary, I think that he's really kind...

Huh?! How's that kind?!

Don't you get it BaoBao? I'll basically be doing what I've been doing in every world. Working hard like my life depended on it. Well, it really did. Anyway, it's what I asked for. Better, even. It's different from how I've been treated by my family. Very different. Don't you get it yet, BaoBao?

BaoBao was stunned into silence. BaoBao?

It felt like a very long time since Eva last spoke to him like that. His little body appeared right in front of her all of a sudden and hugged her tightly, crying tears of joy and relief. You're back! You're back! You're back to normal!!!

Eva smiled apologetically. Her heart that felt weighed down with guilt warmed to see BaoBao clinging to her like that. Sorry BaoBao. Sorry for everything. I'm okay now. I'm back.

Eva started to tear up again.

Don't cry! Don't cry! You've already cried enough! Look at your eyes! What if they drop out from crying too much?!

Eva could not help but laugh soundlessly.They won't!

They hugged for a while more until BaoBao had to disappear when a knock sounded on the door. "I'll be entering now." The doctor warned before opening the door a crack. He has heard from Austin that she was a mute, so he knew not to expect a reply to the door knocking.

He popped his head into the room to check if it was alright to enter and raised his eyebrows to see the room in a mess. Eva stood in the middle of the room, holding the notebook and pencil in her hand.

"Ready to be treated now?"

Eva nodded then asked him a question. "How did you know?"

The doctor walked forward to read what she wrote. He directed her to the bed while replying. "I've seen enough patients to know the signs. You're really something though. To be willing to tolerate the pain and refuse treatment."

Eva hung her head guiltily while she sat down on the bed.

"Don't look like that. Just tell me all the symptoms you have now so I can be sure that I didn't diagnose you wrongly."

Eva told him about the nausea, bloating, pain, and vomiting that she experienced and how it all started. After he gave a diagnosis and prescription, he asked, "Is whatever that was bothering you settled?"

Eva nodded.

The doctor smiled kindly. "That's good to hear. Do take care of yourself. If not for your own sake, then for others. That boy was worried sick the whole time you were out cold, you know?"

Eva nodded with a guilty and sad expression.

He sighed inaudibly then tousled her hair in a fatherly manner. "Why do the two of you carry burdens you don't need to? It's okay to be idiots doing whatever the hell you want sometimes. Take care, I'll come back after a week to check on you again."

Eva nodded and wanted to get up to walk him to the door but the doctor pointed at her and pointed to the bed with a stern expression. Eva's heart jumped at his gesture but she obediently did as he instructed and sat back down on the bed. 

After the doctor left, Eva raised her knees and rested her chin on them. She felt tears coming up again so she hid her face. BaoBao... I really miss my family... A lot... Everything's reminding me of them...

BaoBao appeared by her side and leaned against her. Let's try to get you back to your original world, okay?

Although he did not get a reply to his question, he did not mind. At least she was not rejecting the idea now.

Before she knew it, she fell asleep and BaoBao tucked her into bed just in time before Austin entered the room.

 

Not long after she fell asleep, Austin came back into the room with a bowl of chicken soup since it was around lunchtime. 

When he found her fast asleep, he put the bowl down on the bedside drawer then stared at her silently. His hand slowly reached out, but it stopped just before he touched her face. He very slowly clenched his hand into a fist before walking away to quietly pick up the table that he threw aside earlier. After putting it back into place and drawing the curtains to block out the sunlight, he left the room.

Austin walked down the long corridor and stopped in front of his parents' room. After hesitating for a long moment, he took his first step into the room in years. 

Since the room was well maintained, it smelt fresh as if someone had still been living in it for the past 8 years. He took a slow look around and ended up sitting on the floor at the foot of the large bed, looking up at the huge family portrait hanging on the wall opposite the bed.

"Father... Mother... I've gotten our revenge... But what should I do now...? Is it okay for me to have these feelings? I can't seem to help it... It's unacceptable, isn't it?"

He has never felt so unsure in his life. This was the longest he has ever brooded over a problem and he still could not figure out the right solution. He felt like he was alone and fumbling around in the dark. He already said and did whatever he could at the moment. Now he could only hope that he was not wrong.

He rested his head back on the bed and closed his eyes. Before he knew it, he fell into a deep sleep.

 

Edwin and the doctor eventually realised that Austin was taking too long to come back down. His food was getting cold so Edwin decided to check on him. The doctor offered to go along. When they did not find him in Eva's room or his bedroom, and that there was no response from his private study, Edwin started worrying. At this moment, the doctor noticed that there was a door at the end of the corridor left ajar. He followed his hunch and went to that room at the end of the corridor.

"Doctor Blaze?" Edwin followed the doctor.

"Whose room is that?"

"His parents. He can't possibly be in-" Edwin was shut up when he was met with the sight of Austin knocked out on the floor.

"Si-!" His mouth was clamped shut by the doctor.

"Oh, will you let that poor young man rest?" The doctor said before removing his hand from Edwin's mouth.

"Not on the floor." Edwin whispered with a frown.

"If you wake him up, do you think he'll go back to sleep?" The doctor raised an eyebrow.

Edwin looked surprised then hung his head in shame. He was simply not used to seeing Austin behave like this so had reacted out of habit and concern. Austin has always acted with proper decorum and a cold calmness. Matters were dealt with efficiently and effectively. That was until a certain girl entered the picture. Slip ups and oddities in Austin's behaviour started to appear.

"Always worrying nonstop. You really don't act like your age at times. Maybe that's why you're still a single dog at your age." The doctor teased while closing the door properly so that Austin would not be disturbed.

"I'm happy dedicating my life to serving Austin." Edwin said defensively.

"Yes yes, old dog."

"Will you sto-"

"So, have you remembered everything that the little miss would need to take? Also, what's with the pills some quack doctor prescribed for Austin? His sleep isn't some biological issue. It's psychological. Austin needs to figure it out. Stop giving him that. Or is it really bad now?" The doctor skillfully drove the conversation and Edwin got carried along without realising it.

6