Legacy World 5.17
253 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The new butler of Esmeralda's estate received Austin and Eva at the front gate.

"Austin? ... Eva." Esmeralda appeared at the doorway to the sitting room on the first level. She lost her cheerfulness and it was obvious to them that she was still mourning her parents death.

"This is rare. What brought the both of you here?" Esmeralda asked with a small smile.

"Sorry that I did not turn up at your parents' funeral... I should have known better than anyone else how you would have needed support the most at this time."

Esmeralda shook her head while she sat down with them. "Don't mention it. You and Eva were having it rough too, isn't it? While the both of you had to deal with things by yourself, at least I have Dylan here with me. He helped me settle and rebuild everything while I was down and out." 

Eva caught an affectionate look creeping into Esmeralda's expression while she talked about Dylan. So this is how he wormed his way into her heart...

"What about Saddie?"

"I don't know. Dylan said she's been claiming to be sick and hiding in her room for days."

"She did not turn up for the funeral as well?"

Esmeralda shook her head.

"In that case, we can head over to your parents' grave once they're here. I've sent my butler to get them."

"Sure, my parents would love to have all of you over." Esmeralda smiled warmly. Silence hung thick in the air while everyone sipped on their tea. After what seemed like an eternity, the door bell finally rang.

"Now that they're here, let's not waste time and head straight to the graveyard together." Austin suggested.

"Sounds good." Esmeralda agreed. They put down their cups on the table and left with Eva silently following behind Austin as usual.

"Austin!" Saddie was the first to call out as she excitedly sprung forward upon seeing him. However, the moment she noticed Eva right behind him, she shrunk back to hide behind Dylan.

She has learnt everything that happened at Esmeralda's estate from Dylan so she knew that Eva would know that she was the person who requested for Esmeralda's death. She was not only afraid that she would be exposed, she also started feeling guilty now that everything blew up in ways she did not expect. As such, she chose to hide herself in her room away from everyone.

When she had heard that Austin requested for Dylan and her to meet up at Esmeralda's estate, she felt happy. If I was already exposed, he would have came here himself to kill me right? Doesn't that mean, I'm still safe? With that thought in mind, she happily turned up for the gathering. However, she lost all the confidence the moment she saw that Eva was present as well. She started to contemplate if she should feign feeling sick so that she could run back home.

"Eva?" Dylan and Humphrey said at the same time.

No one knew that Eva would be present. They were only informed that Austin has requested for them to meet at Esmeralda's estate.

Humphrey forgot about proper formalities in his excitement and ran to Eva to hug her with tears clinging to the sides of his eyes. "You're alive! You're alive! I thought you'd be done for just because of your parents! What a sad unfortunate life you have!"

Everyone was surprised by Humphrey's outburst, especially Eva and Austin.

Eva had immediately turned stiff when she was hugged by him, but gradually relaxed when she heard what he had to say. Somehow, he reminded her of BaoBao.

How does that dolt resemble me in any way?! BaoBao exclaimed with disbelief. Ahhh! Get your dirty paws off of her already!

So childlike and honest. Eva could not help but smile a little. Although Humphrey was a year older than Austin and Dylan, he had none of their cool and calm demeanor.

When Austin saw her smile, his frown went deeper.

"So what's the occasion today?" Dylan asked Austin without a care. His butler's spirits had been a little low as of late, so he was glad to see him perk up again.

Austin grabbed onto Humphrey's head to pry him away from Eva then shoved him towards Dylan's carriage while he walked towards his. "To the graveyard."

Saddie stiffened upon hearing his answer then whispered out, "I don't feel so well... Brother, I want to go home."

"Again?"

"You should go too, Saddie. I heard you didn't turn up for the funeral as well." Austin said without looking at her.

"But I-"

"It'll only be for a while. You look well enough to me to take the short trip." He turned his head to look back at her with a cold gaze.

Saddie gripped the skirt of her pink dress tightly. She did not dare to argue with Austin, especially when his eyes were now burrowing into her. "Ye- Yes..."

All of them went into their respective carriages. The ride was comfortable for everyone except Saddie who was having a mental breakdown. Does he know or does he not? Is he planning to do something? I can't tell what Austin's thinking!

 

Everyone now stood silently in front of Esmeralda's parents' grave.

They were just done paying their respects. Esmeralda and Dylan stood at the back while Austin, Eva, and Saddie stood at the front. Dylan saw that Esmeralda looked like she was on the verge of crumbling so put his arm comfortingly around her shoulders, which she received gratefully by leaning into him.

"Why do you keep averting your gaze, Saddie?" Austin broke the silence and turned to face Saddie squarely.

Saddie jumped. Due to her guilty conscience, her eyes had roved everywhere except the tombstone of Esmeralda's parents. Unfortunately for her, her behaviour ticks were clear for Austin to see.

"You look more nervous than sick to me. Why?" He continued to probe when she did not give an answer to his first question.

"Is there something you're hiding from all of us here?" He prompted once more.

With this question, Saddie went deathly pale as she stared at the ground. He knows. He knows. He knows for sure.

"Austin?" Dylan removed his arm from around Esmeralda and took one step towards Saddie to place himself slightly between Saddie and Austin. He could sense the tension in the air. "Why're you picking on Saddie? Is something wrong?"

"She knows what I'm talking about."

Saddie paled even further.

"Saddie, what's he saying?" Austin turned around to face her.

"I- I don't kn-"

"I'm giving you the chance to confess because we know each other from young. Finding out from others and being exposed is surely the worse way to hurt someone." Everyone knew that he was speaking from experience and Esmeralda could easily empathise with him.

"Saddie...?" Esmeralda was the next to prompt Saddie.

Suddenly, Austin realised what he just said so he cast a glance behind him. Eva had indeed felt a slight jab at her heart because her hurtful betrayal had been implied. However, when she saw him look back so suddenly, she instantly understood and smiled ruefully. Her smile conveyed her understanding, apology, sadness, and guilt all at once. Austin's eyes grew slightly wider before he snapped his head back to face the front. He looked diagonally downwards and gritted his teeth.

He's too kind.

She's too kind.

Without each other knowing it, they shared the same thought.

Seeing that Saddie was still staying silent, Dylan started to lose his patience. "Sad-"

"I'm the one!!" Saddie interrupted Dylan.

Everyone except for Austin and Eva were shocked. "What are you saying? Make yourself clear, Saddie." Dylan prompted with a frown.

Saddie very slowly turned around and raised her gaze to look at Esmeralda with a mix of jealousy and guilt. A bad feeling grew within Esmeralda.

"I'm responsible for this..." 

Esmeralda immediately understood and tears filled her eyes.

"Responsible for what?! Make yourself clear!" Dylan was finally frustrated with Saddie. He refused to believe what his gut was telling him.

Saddie got shocked stiff. This was the first time the gentle and loving Dylan raised his voice at anyone. With tears in her eyes, she explained in stutters, "I- I didn't like how Esmeralda was taking you- You and Austin a- Away from me. S- So I c-contacted the- the- the- as- assass- assassins."

The more she spoke, the angrier Dylan looked. It terrified her. She had never seen Dylan this way before. Seeing that things were finally out in the open, Austin took the back seat.

"You did what?! You!" He raised his hand, poised to give her a hard slap. 

Saddie cowered in reflex. 

Dylan managed to catch himself before he really laid a hand on her. He clenched his hand into a fist and brought his arm down.

"Because of such a petty reason... You've really disappointed me, and our parents. Are our love for you not enough that you had to vie for more to this extent?! What were you thinking?! Is your head full of wool and ears full of cotton?! Esmeralda and Austin are betrothed to each other from when they were young! By their parents! Our statuses do not match theirs! I stand no chance to be with Esmeralda as much as you stand no chance to be with Austin! I did not say anything about always having your head in the clouds because I trusted that there is a proper head on your shoulders and that you would know when to come back down to earth! What happened to you?!"

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry brother... I know I'm wrong... When I heard what happened... When I saw that such horrible things were really happening and it's all because I asked for it... I knew that I went over the limit... I'm sorry... Please don't hate me... Please... I'm sorry..." Saddie kept apologising over and over with tears streaming down her face.

Suddenly, he dropped to his knees in front of Esmeralda.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry! It's because of me! She'll be properly disciplined by my family, and if you desire, by the law."

"Brother!!" Saddie cried out while shaking her head and dropping to her knees beside him. "It's not your fault! It's not your fault!" 

She then angled body towards Esmeralda and held onto the skirt of Esmeralda's dress. "It's none of my brother's fault! I'm the one who disappointed everyone! I'm the one fully in the wrong! I'm sorry Esmeralda! I'll accept any punishment! Just, please don't think badly of my brother!" 

In the end, Saddie could not bear to see her brother this upset. However, she realised this far too late.

Esmeralda cried and shook her head slowly. It was definitely a shock to hear the truth, but more than anything, it hurt her to see Dylan looking so guilty and sad and kneeling in front of her like that. 

She knelt down to be on the same level as Dylan and placed her hands over his. "Dylan... Please don't do this... I, of all people, should know that you're a nice and reliable person. You've done what you could. Why're blaming yourself for the way she turned out despite all your family's teachings?"

Saddie felt slightly attacked but she bit her bottom lip and clenched her hands into fists tightly. No matter how much she disliked it, it was the truth. Tears streamed down her face as she reluctantly agreed with what Esmeralda said. "She's... She's right... Brother... Don't blame yourself... I'm sorry..."

Saddie had never once been so upfront about confessing and apologising for her mistake, so Dylan and Esmeralda stared at her in shock. Saddie, however, remained unaware of their reactions since she was still looking down with her vision all blurred by her tears.

After a long while of deliberation, Esmeralda finally composed herself and spoke. "I won't say anything about you loving Austin but if he chooses to love another, what will you do?" 

Nobody understood why Esmeralda asked that question but Saddie obediently replied in a very unsatisfied tone, "I'll graciously let things be and accept reality..."

"Graciously?" Esmeralda's doubt was evident in her voice.

Saddie thought for awhile before correcting it to a more honest answer, "Begrudgingly... But I really won't do something like this again..."

"You'd better not. Otherwise, don't even think about calling me your brother anymore."

Saddie's waterworks started again with that threat. "No no, I really won't do it again. I don't like brother being angry with me, I don't want to lose brother's love. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry..."

Esmeralda stared at Saddie for a short while before speaking, "Apologise to my parents. Come here often to talk to them and entertain them, then I'll forgive you."

Dylan and Saddie looked at her in disbelief. "That's it?" The both of them asked in unison.

"... I'd hate to discourage her growth by punishing her after she finally learnt to take responsibility for her mistake..." Esmeralda explained with profound sadness yet acceptance reflected in her eyes.

Esmeralda refused to let grief and revenge blind her. She knew that her parents would not have wanted that for her. Although she fought and argued with them a lot due to their differing views, they have reminded her from time to time about how they were proud of the kind of person she was growing up to be.

"Remember this Saddie, if you behave like you did not learn a thing from this, I promise that I won't let you off."

Saddie could not believe her ears. She was let off mercifully as usual. She was wrecked by a different kind of guilt and felt thoroughly ashamed. The difference between them never stood out to her more than it did now. Her nature was so much uglier in comparison to Esmeralda's and she dared to compare herself to Esmeralda. 

Saddie nodded her head in tears then got up to do as was asked.

6