chapter 1
153 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a small, dark carriage sat a young man dressed in a black robe. It was dark inside, and the person inside did not make any movements at all. Perhaps, it was a ploy to keep from unwanted attention, for their journey had been a really long one. It took them one whole month from the village they were at to the capital of Ming Jing, Nancheng.

Inside, it was still and silent, making the sounds of horses galloping and neighing, and wheels turning even clearer to his ears. His eyes were closed, seemingly in the state of slumber. 

On one side of the road were railway tracks that were heading straight into the capital. They would have taken the train but alas, their last location was so deep into the outskirts that the closest station was days away. They could not even find another human in that godforsaken place. Even the carriage they had right now was the best they could find in that desolate place.  

The carriage’s curtain on the left window was pulled to the side from the outside; a young girl’s face came into view. She was donning a white and red robe which struck up her childlike face, a mole below her left eye, grinning ear to ear to the maiden inside. 

The light that came peeking into the small carriage fell onto the face of the youth inside. His delicate features seemed to reflect that of a rose blooming in the snow. When he opened his eyes, there was a slight coldness reflected in his black orbs. His gaze was sharp and cold, alienating anyone who looked at them.

No matter how one looked at him, he could pass off as any gender. But to call him beautiful seemed to be ill-fitting. Regardless, for some reasons, this handsome youth donned a female attire and on top of that a fur jacket despite how hot the weather was outside. No one could tell that he was not, in fact, a young maiden.

The cold light in his eyes seemed to flicker into a warmer one the moment he turned to face the young girl. Even so, one could not be sure if the owner of those eyes were sincere.

“Palace Master, we are almost at the Gates of Nancheng,” the younger girl said solemnly. Her gaze lowered as she spoke, expression still beaming. She had to say, their master looked even better in female attire than herself. 

When she looked up, it was clear that her eyes could not hide her excitement. Her short bob hair swayed in the wind and a sparrow flying close, encircled her head and then sat on top of it. 

The Palace Master she was talking to, stared at her thoughtfully before breaking into a small smile. “This is your first time here right, Hua Hua? Even this tiny sparrow couldn’t help but be attracted.” He lifted a finger up and the sparrow flew away from Shi Hua’s head and landed on his finger, chirping away fawningly.

As if trying to appease the owner of those fingers or his liking which Shi Hua found strange but did not question.

A woman with a gloomy gaze approached the unassuming Shi Hua and hit her head. “How many times do I have to say it? Do you know what keeping a low profile means? Don’t call the Young Master that outside. The things I asked you to inform the master of, have you done it already? If you have, stop disturbing them already.”

Shi Huo adorned similar attire as Shi Hua, with a waist jade pendant that symbolised their status as a disciple of their sect and their ranking within the sect. It was their sect uniform. They were all a part of one of the renowned Seven Great Sects of Listeria, though half of it had been destroyed by the demonic cultivators, Mount Yunwu Sect, commonly known as Yunwu Shi.

Disciples of Yunwu Shi were said to be elusive, just like their masters; hermits dedicated to swordsmanship and cultivation, never leaving that mountain of theirs. It was rare for anyone to catch sight of them in society, much less a group of them. Even so, there were no lack of rumours of them being hired mercenaries if they were paid well enough.

Shi Hua rubbed her head and stuck her tongue out at the woman. “Sister Huo, there’s no one besides us. If there really was someone else, Momo would have alerted us!” There was not the slightest hint of repentance in her voice. She looked around at their entourage. Besides them, there were two other men, one at the front and one at the back. Like the two of them, they were on horses. They had similar waist pendants; with the single character ‘three’ carved in the center.

The one in front had a mask on the upper half of his face. His waist pendant however, displayed the character ‘two’. This was because he belonged to a different division in the sect, the Palace under the carriage master’s second brother, Xu Ningze.

Despite donning a mask, his beauty seemed to be incapable of being hidden. One cannot help but be seduced by that masked face of his. There was a frown on his face and yet it did not dampen his good looks at all. His figure looked so forlorn and people could help but want to hold him.

This was Xu Ningze’s closest aid, Xi Yunhe. In usual custom, all disciples of the sect had to adopt their master’s surname and a new name.  Though, there were some exceptions. Like Xu Ningyan and her brothers – they did not have to change their name but neither were they allowed to use their father's surname in matters of the sect.

It was hard enough for anyone to join the Yunwu Shi, and even more unlikely for them to open their gates to outsiders. Those who attended the trials would have to make an oath to cast their past lives and devote themselves to the sect. If ever they break their oath, they would be stripped of their cultivation and barred from ever being allowed to enter both the sect and country.

The reason why a lot of people would aspire to enter the sect and even willing to let go of their past was because of the resources they held and the rumours of instant successes.     

Xi Yunhe, despite being a normal follower of the sect, he alone was allowed to keep his surname.  Calling him a ‘normal disciple’ was a little far-fetched. No one would dare to actually voice out any opinions about it once they look at him. 

For apparent reasons where there were rumours of him actually belonging to another sect, and was the bridge between that sect and theirs. Nobody knew of the other sect’s identity. Those, out of curiosity, tried seeking details from the Eldest Young Master, the Grandmaster Shi Qin, and even the other elders but nothing could come out from it. They could neither acknowledge nor dismiss the existence of this other sect.

It was said that because this particular sect was too powerful and if anyone knew, there might be a certain risk to the very livelihood for the sect. The only thing that made people believe was Xi Yunhe’s existence.

Though there were rumours of Xi Yunhe being the last living member of the fallen Xi Sect, there was nothing to back that up. Though with his looks, no doubt he had a powerful background and no one was blind enough to cross him. At least those in Shi Country, anyways.

Xi Yunhe was part of Kairos, Raki’s subordinate. There was a liaison between the two guilds** (Yunwu Shi and Kairos). Raki had visited Mount Yunwu a long time ago and left something with the sect for safekeeping. When fifteen year old Xu Ningze was made a Palace Master, Xi Yunhe, who was thirteen that year, was sent over to observe that item while being an in-between for both guilds.

As for why the elders of the sect allowed Xi Yunhe to stay with them was another story. In any case, Xu Ningze and Xi Yunhe practically raised Xu Ningyan.

 

(**in this continent, guilds are sects and magi are called cultivators)

 

Shi Hua’s gaze lingered at the direction of the wind before looking away.

Shi Huo shook her head and bowed apologetically at their Palace Master before making Shi Hua return to her spot, which for them were on both sides of the carriage. 

“Smart girl,” the Palace Master smiled, the darkness fell upon him once more when the curtain fell without someone there to pull it to a side. He could hear Shi Huo nagging at Shi Hua at the side and he stifled a laugh.

He reached for the thin sleek bipyramidal crystal hanging next to her waist jade pendant. She rubbed the cold surface, pondering for a moment before speaking.

“Any word from those in Nancheng?” His voice was lower and colder from the warmth he had displayed earlier. There was no hint of that amusement he held earlier.

The crystal glowed as if in response as a deep voice spoke from it. “Reporting to the Palace Master, they have gone up the mountains for a couple of days now. We will receive updates soon...”

Silence.

“And…?” His voice was light and dangerous.

The voice seemed to tremble as it responded. “That person is currently in Nancheng. He arrived at the gates yesterday and he was not alone. That person is highly perceptive so we did not dare to approach.”

“I see. Keep watching them then. Let me know what their purpose here is. If they have anything to do with those things…”

“This subordinate understands.” 

The crystal flickered a bit before losing light.

He held the curtain to the side, holding his hand against the corner of the window and peered outside, towards the direction of the capital. 

It was unlike his grandfather, Grandmaster of their sect, to be making an appearance and on the move. What was so important that he had asked him to come here in person? He and his aide were out of contact for a long time now. Regardless of his reasons, their sect was not that shorthanded that both of them needed to be there in person? 

If it were not for him, he would still be looking into the things Eldest brother asked him to look into. Then again, if it were not for the fact that the clues were leading to Nancheng, Xu Ningyan would not be bothered to come over. Grandmaster or not, he could sense that there was something up his sleeve. He even specifically asked him to come as his ‘granddaughter’.

At the top of the gate etched the word East Gate and there were two soldiers standing guard outside, checking everyone that was entering the capital. Once it was their turn, she let the curtain down, and let her underlings comply with the soldier’s demands.

Xi Yunhe got down from his horse and approached the guards. Putting his hands together in respect, he explained their reasons for their presence in the capital. He even showed them his waist pendant.

“We’re servants of a small family from a town up north, accompanying our young miss, sitting inside the carriage to meet with the Song Family. Asking for sir guards’ understanding,” he lowered his gaze as he spoke. 

“Kindly remove your mask and we ask for the young miss to show herself.”

Xi Yunhe clicked his tongue in annoyance. Before he could say anything, Shi Hua climbed down from her horse and hurried to Xi Yunhe’s side. 

“That won’t do! If Young Master Xi removes his mask here, there’ll be trouble. His appearance won’t lose to the young miss and we’ll attract too much attention!!! Kindly asking brother guards to go easy on us!!!” Her pride filled tone was filled with anxiety. 

After all, this young master was just too beautiful!! 

She was not even exaggerating. This big brother of her master was truly a troubling existence that could topple both countries and cities. Truly makes one wonder how the Second Palace Master even managed to make him join his side. 

“That’s right,” a clear, silky voice came from the carriage. Xu Ningyan climbed down the carriage with Shi Huo’s help and approached the guards. Towards a pretty young maiden like her, smiling amiably at them, they’re already at their wits’ ends. “Kindly ask for Guard Brothers to go easy on this humble servant of mine.” Her melodious voice stirred their hearts.

The line behind and the side all turned to the young miss. It had even started to get noisier, and some even wanted to force their way to the front.

The guards looked at the crowd and back at the young miss. Their hearts wavered at the sight of the young miss. They looked at the masked Xi Yunhe in anticipation but quickly averted their gazes once their eyes met. Their breaths hitched and they could feel their cheeks burning.

Certainly there was something wrong with this person. 

This was just way too dangerous! 

“Please go ahead,” they quickly announced.

Xi Yunhe’s face was expressionless as he gestured for the young miss to return to her carriage. Xu Ningyan pretended to be oblivious and stood next to him.

“Such a beautiful maiden, which family is she from?”

“Look at the size of her carriage; they must really be from a small family.”

“Is she here for a marriage proposal for young master Song? There’s been a lot lately!”

“A match made in heaven!”

“Didn’t he reject all of them? No matter how pretty they were… I’m afraid…”

“Doesn’t he have a fiancée though? The one that was decided from birth?”

“Wasn’t that just a rumour?”

“What a pity and she’s such a beauty…”

“Isn’t that good news for us?”

Xi Yunhe spoke disapprovingly, “Yanyan, you should not have stepped out.”

Xu Ningyan smiled with a slight mirth in his eyes, “And let you show your face? What do you think would happen if my brother knew?”

Xi Yunhe was speechless. He was right; the entire sect knew how much importance his brother had placed on Xi Yunhe. Even looking at him was not allowed. How overbearing! 

“This lord being targeted is nothing compared to his lover being seen and attracting flies.” Xu Ningyan clicked his tongue. His brother had always been a genius at finding something to be jealous of when it came to Xi Yunhe. He looked at the fervent gazes behind them. 

If my brother knew, how many of them would live to see another day?

Xi Yunhe’s appearance was way too eye-catching, even if he were to hide it; his aura would just attract everyone’s attention. This lord might be a little willful, but no matter how much trouble Xu Ningyan would be willing to cause, it would still be nothing compared to Xi Yunhe’s face.

Xi Yunhe sighed inwardly, not wanting to continue that conversation. He still had no idea how to coax that man when he was to return home. Xu Ningze never even approved of him leaving his side.

“We’ll leave the carriage and information gathering with you, Shi Su.”

Shi Su nodded and left with the other young man with the carriage.

“Match made in heaven huh? No better fit for that phrase than my brother and you,” The corner of Xu Ningyan’s lips curled as he pondered over the things the crowd had mentioned. Song Family, the number of proposals and a fiancée…? 

Xi Yunhe chided, “Nonsense, let’s not keep grandfather waiting.” 

“I don’t get why he couldn’t just send a messenger. What’s so important that he had to send Brother Yunhe over and escort me to someone else’s territory? I don’t believe that just because someone helped him, he has to come all the way from Yunwu and show himself in much grandeur? Just because the Immortal Swordsman is with him, he can act as he likes?” 

“You’re not any better than him. Let’s wait for grandfather to tell you himself. He must have his reasons for wanting you specifically to present here.”

“You know? With all this get up, that fiancée those people spoke of might actually turned out to be me?” He squinted his eyes into crescents, watching the frown on Xi Yunhe deepened before bursting into laughter.

“Less nonsense and watch your image.”

3