chapter 7
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When news of their Master encountering Gu Shaoqing came to their ears, Shi Huo and Shi Hua felt an incredible sense of guilt. How could they not be around when someone was trying to provoke their master?! How would they answer the Grandmaster if something had happened?! 

Before the Sun even rose, both of them stood guard at Xu Ningyan’s door, almost barging in without prior notice but for fear of angering their master, they stayed outside. Both have grave expressions on their faces, news of them standing outside for hours spread throughout the residence.  

Shi Hua’s childlike appearance coupled with anxiety made her look like a wronged child. Her head lowered as she twiddled with her fingers nervously. Her thoughts returned to the day before when she left on her own and tailed after young master Song.  

Though she got caught following him, she noticed something off with the young master. Before Song Wenyue caught her, she noticed that while he was walking on the streets absently-mindedly, whenever someone walked past him, he would look up in reflex. It was as if he was looking for someone and when it was not who he was looking for, he had a strange disappointed and yet relieved expression. 

In any case it was not long after he realised someone was tailing him. As Xu Ningyan’s follower, as a fellow disciple of Yunwu Shi, it was humiliating to be caught as they were known to be one of the best at espionage and reconnaissance in the dark. If it came to the Palace Master’s ears, her punishments might just get heavier. At least young master Song was not the enemy, if not, she would not even be able to come back unharmed.  

As Shi Hua got deeper into thoughts and the creases between her eyebrows deepened, the young woman beside her nudged her. Shi Huo, compared to Shi Hua, had a calmer appearance and there were only a handful of people who could have picked out what was off with her. For instance, while her hair was tied into a bun, the hair stick was slightly tilted to the left which was contrary to the usual 25 degrees to the right. Her usually sharp phoenix eyes were a little dazed and the look on her face was extremely dark.    

When Song Wenyue approached the two of them, he noticed their grave expressions and wondered if they did something wrong. Why did they look like they were waiting to be punished for their wrongdoings…? 

Just as he was considering asking them what had happened, the door opened and out came Xu Ningyan. Because he was looking straight forward, the first thing he saw was the approaching figure of Song Wenyue. A faint scent of wood lingered in the air but he was not too bothered about it.

Remembering the aggrieved look on his face last night, he broke into smiles. Definitely unnatural. This young master was definitely an interesting person. At this point, he had totally forgotten his grandfather tried to match them up as to be honest the only reason he agreed to coming here was due to the trail of daemonic activities.  

Song Wenyue stared at Xu Ningyan blankly as his seemingly cheery voice broke the silence of the morning. Xu Ningyan’s voice was neither high nor low and very pleasant to listen to. Even the slight headache he had did not hurt much anymore. It reminded him of something but he could not recall much amidst the hangover. Still, if he were to close his eyes, he would not be able to ascertain their gender. 

Just like the ‘princess’ from yesterday. If he did not hear the word ‘princess’ and the assassin from last night called her ‘your highness’, so it must be a princess? What was the assassin’s name again? He only remembered being annoyed with his attitude, other than that… surnamed Gu? Gu Family is… that Gu Family? The one that houses demonic cultivators and used to be on good terms with Yunwu Shi…? 

It did not look like they had a good relationship. So, the rumours of their falling out were true? Are both sects in Ming Jing? While the Grandmaster Shi came, he only came with a single guard… but around Young Miss Shi, the number hidden around her was not small… and those people from last night… 

He should report to his King...

As his thoughts refocused on the current young miss before him, he realised something. Was she laughing at him? Bewilderment filled his face—did he do something embarrassing in her presence? His maidservants did say she walked him home. Did the Princess call for her? He did not remember seeing her at all. 

Before they could greet each other, Shi Huo and Shi Hua quickly knelt before Xu Ningyan.  

“Master, please punish us!” 

Then both Song Wenyue and Xu Ningyan turned to Shi Huo and Shi Hua. He looked at them thoughtfully, wondering if they did anything wrong which they did not so why were they acting this way. Their actions were incomprehensible. 

Even so, he decided not to call them out for it. They must have their reasons for being guilty and such, as their master she should do as much. “Sure, make sure the preparations for my departure are ready before I’m done.” 

Song Wenyue spoke out, bewildered, “Departure? Were you not going to stay for a couple of months?” They only met last night and he was planning to leave already? How would he answer his mother? He felt like there was something he had forgotten but could not recall. 

Xu Ningyan beamed at him. “Can’t wait for me to leave? Don’t worry about the Madam, I will tell her about it at breakfast.” 

“No, that’s not what I meant… Where are you going?” Song Wenyue quickly replied. While he had no intent for their relationship to head in the direction his mother wanted him to, he did not want to mistreat him. After all, if anything he had hoped that they could come to friendly terms and become friends. 

Added to the fact that he was planning to leave with the Princess’ entourage up Baishan, he had hoped he could stay with her mother. 

Xu Ningyan looked at him unblinkingly. “Something came up for you as well? What a coincidence. Did you come over just to inform me that you won’t be around and hope that I could look after your family while you are gone?”

“That’s not—”

Xu Ningyan sighed with fake emotion. “And here, I thought, you were here to escort me to breakfast.”

Song Wenyue smiled thinking that Xu Ningyan was just teasing him. It was a weird experience, coming from someone younger than him. He quickly shook his head.  

Xu Ningyan, “Oh, you really are here for that? Then what’s with that look on your face? Don’t suppose you’re worried about me?”

Song Wenyue, “No, that’s…”

Xu Ningyan, “I’m just playing with you. You have to see who is staying in your house. Not just one, but multiple disciples from the Shi Sect. If I were to say that right now in Ming Jing, the Song Residence is the second most safe place, no one would dare to call theirs first.” 

Song Wenyue quickly interjected in surprise. “You’re going alone? What about Young Master Xi?”

Xu Ningyan replied, unconcerned. “Alone or not… is not much of a big deal to me. If you are really worried about me, you could always join me on my trip.” 

Song Wenyue’s dark eyes seemed to turn into a darker colour, pondering over her suggestion. “Can your trip be delayed? I still have something I need to do…” As much as he wanted to go with her, he was worried about his friend’s safety. What if his life was in danger? She was just going to see a friend, it was not like she was planning to do something dangerous, right? But could a friend of the granddaughter of Grandmaster Shi be someone normal? 

As if noticing his plight, Xu Ningyan laughed softly. “It can’t. You have nothing to worry about. I’m not going alone and even if I’m alone, I’ll be fine. You go ahead and do the things you have to do.” 

It was not as if someone like himself would ever need an outsider’s help. Then again, it was too early for him to decide that. 

Song Wenyue spoke in reluctance. “Young Miss Shi…” 

Though they had only come in contact recently, Song Wenyue noticed something about this young lady before him. Even if she was smiling, or laughing or other expressions she wore on her face, it would seem like her eyes would remain cold and detached. Like nothing could ever move her

He was not wrong but he was not right either. Before last night, nothing had ever moved Xu Ningyan but after their encounter last night. There was a small ripple in his soul that was too slight to be noticed by the person herself. 

Xu Ningyan looked at the light in the sky and then back at him. “If we dawdle any longer, we’ll be late for breakfast.” 

After breakfast, Song Wenyue walked Xu Ningyan to the main entrance. Along with them with his mother and her grandfather. Thinking back to the awkward breakfast scene, the eager looks of the elders of both families are rather hard to ignore. Though, the unpleasant glares from Xi Yunhe when the two of them entered the room felt like he aged several years.

“I am sorry I could not accompany you on your trip. Please be careful out there. When you return, I will take you around the city.”

“Sure. I won’t be sending you off then. Take care.” Xu Ningyan’s eyes curved as he turned to leave. As if anticipating the offer.  

He did not understand why she had to go somewhere so suddenly. It had only been a few days since she arrived here. Did the person from yesterday ask for her? Maybe they are headed for the same place? If so, he could watch out for her… But to begin with, she was not supposed to be someone who needed protection. From the conversation during breakfast, it could be said that Xu Ningyan has been out on their own for some time already, that Xi Yunhe only went to find them to bring them here. The last time they met was a couple of years ago? For cultivators, a few decades was just a short while.

He reluctantly left his residence first and headed to where the point of meeting for the trip up Baishan would take. The Yunwu Shi had sent word to every cultivator in the city that something had occurred at Baisan and they were recruiting people to go up with them and he just heard about it this morning. 

There were no mentions of it being an order by a Palace Master or a Princess, just that the disciples were in town and wanted to help a fellow sect and it would be great if they could have some helping hand.  

If a royal member of another country without any reason brought a lot of people with them to another’s capital, it would be too high profile and arouse suspicions. 

Before Xu Ningyan could leave, his grandfather spoke to him alone and when he came out, there was a short moment of a lingering ridiculing smile on his face. 

Song Wenyue’s mother stood before the main entrance, watching them leave. “It would have been much more reassuring having my son accompany you but he had prior engagements. And that he would be away for a couple of days. Why do I have a bad feeling?”  

She looked a little unconvinced letting Xu Ningyan go on their own but seeing how she could not change their mind, she could only give in. She wondered why she had some misgivings about them going on their own. They were all grown children… Must be her motherly instincts kicking in, she thought, sighing.

Xu Ningyan smiled gently, not letting any expressions show on his face. Truly, these mother hen mother and son pair, they do not know the true magnitude of this Palace Master’s atrocities.  

“Is it really fine to go on your own? You’re not taking those three with you? Or that brother of yours?”   

“I’ll be fine. My friend has sent people to come and get me. They will be here soon.” 

The numbers of disciples that followed them on this trip were clearly not enough for this raid so they recruited some mercenaries and rogue cultivators. The number of enemies lying in wait and their identities were unclear at this point so he did not want to foolishly send his followers to their deaths without proper arrangements. 

Bidding the madam goodbye, he pretended to take a carriage to leave the town. A few disciples were already in the carriage. One would take his place hiding in Poetry Garden’s branch to find out who is snooping around the Poetry Garden. He had a feeling it had something to do with him.

Xu Ningyan’s gaze was even more apathetic than before. He adorned a red outer robe that was closely fitted to his body—the cuffs are worn tightly around his arms with the sleeves embedded into them—a standard Yunwu Shi attire made for them to move around easier. Instead of the jade pendant Shi Hua and the others have, Xu Ningyan’s was different, one belonging to the Poetry Garden. His hair, without any superfluous accessories, was neatly tied up and held together by a hair crown with a ruby in the middle. 

Like this, he could join up the rest without arousing any suspicion. Xu Ningyan stared at the red robes on his body and sighed. He did not like it very much but it would be much better than standing out and attracting hidden troubles. 

Outside the western gates, a similarly dressed figure waited for him with two horses. On that person's face was the same mask that he had. The corner of his lips curled as that person noticed her. 

“Shi Mo.” 

“Young Master,” Shi Mo promptly bowed respectfully at him. 

“Let’s go then.” 

Both of them got onto the horses and set off to Baishan.  

A black robed horseman approached the duo. 

Xu Ningyan spoke up without looking at the robed horseman. “Speak.” 

“Your highness. News from our brethren who stayed back at that place came.” 

“I see.” 

“The demonic activities had continued all the way to Ming’s borders. And there, they seemed to be joining up with enemy forces. An invasion, they called it.” 

“Mhmm, what about the King of this land?  

“He’s leaving for the borders tomorrow.” 

“Any clues on their motive?” 

“No, everything is all over the place. Nothing matches their actions.” 

“Ask them to be careful not to get caught. After all, we still don’t know who we’re dealing with. Does Eldest Brother know?” 

“They have sent a separate dispatch to Shi. His highness will hear of this soon. They would arrive at the borders in another two days. Do we need to make contact with the Ming armies there?” 

“Not yet. Just stay put and observe. If they need our help, they will ask for it. After all, they know we are here.” 

“Understood.” The horseman bade farewell and left for a different direction. 

The morning mist lingered on Baishan, Xu Ningyan was walking on a mountain’s rugged path—his pace was steady and unhurried. Instead of a person who was going to join an army to fight, Xu Ningyan looked more like a youth being forced to return home. 

Shi Mo went around, scouting the area and would meet with him near the camp at the slope of the mountain. Her other shadow guards were around, so even if he was alone, he never truly left alone.  

Whenever left alone, his gaze would be gloomy and cold and if ever someone were to look at those eyes, they might even feel that a demon was looking at them. It was like he was indifferent to everything. The coldness he emitted seemed to keep everything, including animals from coming close to her. No matter how flattering his looks were, no life was present in his appearance and he was inherently apathetic to everything that existed. 

There was hardly anything that could arouse his interest and whether or not he could do something effortlessly or not never mattered to him. However, her trip to Nancheng, capital of this country called Ming Jing, Song Wenyue was the first to break that notion that nothing could ever affect him. 

He remained unmoved as the scenery before him changed from rows of bald cypress trees on both sides of a rocky trail leading straight to a dead end, and the only way to proceed was backtracking or up the cliff before him. Not pausing in his steps, he walked into the stone wall, his palm placed against the air to trigger the barrier and the space rippled as he moved into the stone wall, a dense forest opened up before his eyes and a camp area could be seen.  

A protective barrier had been set up by his followers to prevent being snuffed out. On their palms hid a spell that would recognise one as a fellow disciple of the Sect. As for the hired mercenaries, as long as a disciple was with them they could pass without any interference or rejection.  

Shi Mo stood under a tree, waiting for him and when she saw Xu Ningyan, she moved towards him. Yunwu Shi disciples took notice of their Palace Master’s presence and began preparing for their journey up to Wu Sect. A few other hired mercenaries, those with higher cultivations, seemed to take notice of his presence as well. He seemed to be of a completely different existence compared to those they had seen around them.

Several tents were laid in sight. All of which were brown and average in sizes able to fit around four to five people in one. There were ten tents, arranged in two rows in a way that were circular in shape and right in the middle was a space for setting strategies. 

It looked like he missed the meeting.   

It was hard to discern but the respect in the others’ eyes towards this new arrival was not hidden. This must be the leader of this group of Yunwu Shi disciples or someone important. If they are able to, they should get on this person’s good side and not the bad, they thought to themselves. It did not look like they could attract their attention though…  

As Xu Ningyan continued listening to Shi Mo’s report on the current situation. He looked across the crowd in disinterest. The number of cultivators present should be around fifty; around half of them were non-disciples, it was not a big number neither was it a small one for a raid of this scale.  

When his cold eyes reached the end, they were met with Song Wenyue’s calm and gentle gaze. It was as if the ice in his heart was beginning to thaw. The smile in his eyes rippled like spring breeze as she walked up to him. Song Wenyue was standing at a corner, staring blankly at her.  

Was this the leader of the siege? When their eyes met, he felt a certain familiarity in those eyes.  

“You’re here,” Xu Ningyan smiled at him, speaking so softly it sounded like a whisper. “You must be really worried.”  

He froze, unsure of how he was supposed to react to his words. He looked behind him and the person that was speaking to her earlier was no longer there.  

What did this person mean? That voice… Was this the Palace Master he met the night before?  

“Pala——” He spoke, trying to affirm his suspicions. Following his informant's report, the Yunwu Shi disciples have been going around investigating demonic activities around Listeria. The fact that the people leading this raid were members of the same sect, was something terrible happening to Wu Sect?  

“It’s Xu Ningyan.” 

He placed a finger to his lips, squinting his eyes like a fox. Just by listening to his voice, one cannot distinguish his gender which made him able to mix into either crowd without much trouble.  

He was always like this. It was not on purpose but it was easier like this. People would not pay too much attention to him. Just a youth cultivator with ice cold eyes, nothing too out of the normal.  

After all, they only met once and clearly in his memory, he showed annoyance with him. He did not especially loathe him, nor did he like him. So why was he suddenly acting this way? 

Strange.  

Song Wenyue decided not to question his actions or why he decided to go by a different name. Though that surname seemed to remind him of something. 

“Are you leading the raid?” 

“I am taking the back seat. Supposedly but… I’m sure others would have realised by now, judging by the looks those other cultivators are giving me, but that’s not important. We’re splitting into groups hereafter and climbing up to the main entrance as decoys. My people will infiltrate and save the survivors after confirming their location with the spies.” 

“Decoys?” Compared to normal disciples, the former was certainly a better choice. Those were the true experts of their sect, after all.  

“I know my instructions said decoys but…” A sly smile appeared on his face. “My followers know me well enough to know that I meant to completely obliterate them.” 

Song Wenyue stared at him with a questioning gaze. Was that the whole plan? Was that not way too short? 

“They’re not humans. So, if you don’t kill them, you’ll lose your life.” 

“Not humans?”

“Former humans should be more accurate. I don’t know what sorcery those demonic cultivators did but they managed to summon and colluded with Daemons. Daemons, have you heard of them?” 

Daemons? He might have heard of it when he travelled round with his good friend Ming Long, when they passed by smaller towns, travelling bards told tales of Daemons from the west. So, the claws of these Daemons had reached even Listeria? 

Song Wenyue looked at Xu Ningyan with uncertainty. Seeing an indifferent smile on his face, he felt a slight chill running down his spine as he recalled the stories. “...I heard about it before but not in detail as to what they really were.” To be honest, he only thought that those were demonic cultivators that had lost to the demons in their hearts and in losing themselves; they had no qualms about harming everything around them. 

“Is that so? Have they told you that these Daemons feed on humans’ negative emotions and heart? Once they do, their poison will spread across the dead bodies and move, looking for hearts to attain immense power and immortality.”

0