chapter 11
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, Young Master Xu, don’t you think it’s better to defeat him while he’s preoccupied now. He does not look well and if we take him down now, can you take him with you?? Before he calls up his comrades?” 

Xu Ningyan snorted. What kind of gentleman was this Song Wenyue? Preemptive attack while the enemy was distracted? Not that it was a bad thing or idea. In fact, it was a much better idea than those righteous people.

Was he not supposed to be the gentlemanly kind to both genders and obnoxiously righteous? Was there something wrong with his image here…?  

He started with a gentlemanly image when they first met though… His demeanour was still gentle but why did he feel like something was wrong here?  

Was this the standard in Ming? If his personality was a little bit weird like this and he was well-liked in his country, what about his friend, the newly crowned King of Ming? 

Birds of a feather flock together right? Do not tell him that the King was actually a scum or something?! Then again, they said he adored his wife like she was the god herself so it was… but what if he treats his enemies like shit!!!  

He got sidetracked again. He looked calmly at Song Wenyue, who was oblivious to his thoughts running wildly in his mind, and back at the hand on his arm.  

“You should let go of me first.” 

“Right, my apologies.” He quickly let go, feeling slightly embarrassed. How could he hold a lady’s arm for so long?! He did not say anything earlier though… What if he misunderstood that he was scared? He sighed, the corners of his ears tinged red. He felt like he was always losing face in front of this Palace Master. He kept calling her ‘Young Master Xu’ that he almost forgot that he was not a lady presently but a fellow brother. 

“But, well… I just wanted to see what this person was playing at.” He spoke casually, reaching into the insides of his magic pouch and took something. 

“Hey, stop ignoring me. I can hear you guys perfectly all right?” 

“Right, I’m sorry. Here,” Xu Ningyan apologised without sincerity, further angering the demonic cultivator. Then they raised both their hands at the same time. Blood dripped from his palm as a huge magic circle appeared in front. The markings on his face glowed.  

The skies turned dark, devil qi and apprehension filled the air. Song Wenyue’s eyebrows furrowed in concern. 

He threw the item in his hands towards him. The dead bodies on the ground convulsed and slowly, regaining vitality, got back on their feet. Those who could not get back on their feet were devoured by those who could and their entire body slowly distorted into that of a monster. 

As he was still in the middle of his spell, he could not avoid the item from targeting him. It looked like a normal small pebble but then, it stopped atop of its target and then from it rows of light crept out like chains and wrapped him with it. 

“What the hell is this? Get it off me!!!!” 

The demonic cultivator shouted and screamed but there was zero reaction. Both Song Wenyue and Xu Ningyan had no time for him now. Monstrous Fallens started encircling them, their mouth left ajar, saliva dripping out and foul breath. 

Xu Ningyan blinked indifferently, raising his sword. With their backs facing one another, they pushed the Fallens back. That said, he was faring much better than him. It was taking his entire being to hold back the nausea. 

As the sky grew darker, a large Fallen, ten times their size, loomed over them, blocking their view. Xu Ningyan was not afraid of the demonic cultivator fleeing. That magic trap was a new invention, after all. He would not escape without losing a limb or two.  

Song Wenyue’s sword was barely keeping the large Fallen’s mouth from reaching both of them. His back pressed against his back. He was out of breath, sweat flowed from his forehead. 

Xu Ningyan did a slashing stance with the sword on his left hand and the pressure from it pushed the ones before his further back. Then, he moved the sword to his right hand and turned around from the left, piercing his sword through the large Fallen’s mouth multiple times in a swift motion. It appeared like multiple swords were attacking it at the same time. 

Black blood splattered on his attire. The entire scene was so much that he held his breath the entire time. With a kick, the large Fallen fell to the side.  

The demonic cultivator was so shocked, he froze in trepidation. This was not how he imagined it. Who was this ‘Xu Ningyan’ really? 

“It’s fine now. You don’t have to hold your breath.” He heard his voice so close to him while he patted his back gently with his left hand. The ends of his ears flushed immediately.  

He turned to her, wanting to remind her of their statuses only to find her close to him, staring. Flustered, he was unable to speak a word. He was slightly out of breath. 

“Wh-wha?” 

“You stink.” 

He immediately stepped away from him. Lifting his sword up again, he turned away and faced other Fallens. 

“You don’t have to be that self-conscious.” He snorted, conjuring a cleansing spell to clean the blood of his sword. There was not a single spot on his robe that was splattered with blood, unlike Song Wenyue.  

As the pushed back Fallens approached them once more, fighting sounds could be heard approaching them. 

“They’re here,” he said as he casually looked up. Shi Mo darted across space to reach Xu Ningyan.

“Young Master.” 

“That. Bring back,” Xu Ningyan pointed at the captured demonic cultivator. 

That? Was he a thing? As much as he wanted to retort, remembering the gruesome scene from before, made him feel like vomiting. He covered his mouth unhappily, his delicate features made him seem even more like a fragile beauty, that would make almost anyone’s heart soften and go easy on him but too bad, no one in Yunwu Shi cared for the beauties. 

Well, no one, except for his brother. 

And also, in their hearts, exist only a single beauty. One that could topple both countries and nations. 

And that was Xi Yunhe.  

A truly, dangerous creature he was. 

A certain image came to her and Xu Ningyan almost choked at his own thoughts. He almost imagined Brother Yunhe in the same predicament which was very unlikely. How unbecoming of him! He quickly turned and stared at Song Wenyue to distract himself. 

Song Wenyue’s eyebrows were in knots, his lips pressed together in a thin line. Sweat dotted his furrowed brows slowly dripping down his chin, with the sword tightly gripped in his hands, he rushed at the Fallens. His long dirtied robes were stained with black blood. And like the others before him, he was in a sad state. 

He fought earnestly; it was almost laughable how serious and silly he can be at the same time. Xu Ningyan uncharacteristically wondered what his life purpose was. Would it be something grand like being a hero like those young warm-blooded cultivators aspire to be?

“Young Master…?” Shi Mo looked towards where he was looking and back at him. She had come to a realisation that their master seemed to pay attention to this young master. They had only known each other for only a few days and every time they met, they were under the Shadow Guards’ watch. Song Wenyue has not exhibited any special behaviour or said anything special to their master. No matter how they look at it, he seemed like the typical young master?  

If it was any other person, their master would have gotten bored of them already.  

To say that Song Wenyue caught his eyes would be an exaggeration. For he was not the first, Xu Ningyan finds many people interesting, even if that interest would not last and even if he was not exactly looking at them as living things but an object of sorts—something to pass the time.  

It was too early to say if his interest with Song Wenyue would last. So, Shi Mo thought that she was probably reading too much into it. After all, of all the people Xu Ningyan had found interesting, Song Wenyue was the least remarkable one. Even if he was better looking than most of them.    

“Is there something wrong with Young Master Song?” 

“He looks so earnest, it’s almost foolish.” Xu Ningyan answered it so naturally, it was like there was no other meaning to her interest in him. Truth be told, he might not even understand it at all. He believed that he was looking at him in a shallow mind but was that truly it? 

“....???” Shi Mo was confused. Multiple thoughts ran through her mind. What did he mean by that? Did he mean that he was dumb or something else? And besides, everyone else had the same look on, no? 

Song Wenyue sneezed and almost was not in time to block an attack to his torso as the Fallen swung its limbs over. His arms went numb all over and he heaved a sigh of relief. He lost count of how many close shaves he had met here. He took a quick look around him and could not find Xu Ningyan. Thinking he had not the time to think about other things, he resumed his fighting stance. 

“Is someone keeping watch on that demonic cultivator?” 

“Yes.” 

“Something tells me there are still some tricks up his sleeves. He seemed to be from the sect we’re looking for. Don’t let him out of your sight.” Xu Ningyan felt like they would not be able to keep him for long. His gut feeling told her that he would be able to escape. It was not important where or not he fled. He had his own tricks he could deploy. 

“Understood, we would let him believe we let him escape.” Shi Mo spoke solemnly, keeping a distance between them as she followed Xu Ningyan. They were speaking to each other telepathically the whole time.  

No matter how unimportant their conversation might be, Xu Ningyan did not like that there might be outsiders listening in.  

Shifting his gaze elsewhere, Xu Ningyan walked towards the stairs, she trod through the sea of blood and then stood at the edge. Blood dripped down the stairs, staining the once stone path.  

Seeing the trail of blood, her mood turned for the worse. 

The qi formation here was completely destroyed in a way that the spiritual energy centered here was in disarray. It would be really easy for anyone to be easily influenced or suffer a qi deviation if they were not careful. And with so much killing intent in the air…  

“...Young Master?”  

Shi Mo called out, watching her master suddenly squatting down at the edge. While everyone was locked in battle, it almost felt like Xu Ningyan was elsewhere, trapped somewhere far away. The ends of his robes stained with blood as he stared at her reflection in the blood pool. 

Turn back, turn back. 

Xu Ningyan frowned. Whose voice was it? It was gentle, warm and familiar. He could not remember. The sound of fighting was far from him. There was no one here except for him in a sea of blood. The only thing he could hear was that voice and those words echoing and the sound of blood dripping. 

Forgive yourself. Let go. Turn back. 

Although she called out to Xu Ningyan, Shi Mo did not approach him. She stood at the side watching over Xu Ningyan worriedly. 

Their master was always like this. No one could ever get close to him or even read his mind. Ever since they were assigned to by the Eldest Young Master. 

With how their sect wasisolated, spurned and yet sought aftereven though Xu Ningshu seemed cold and merciless, everyone knows that everything he did he did for the sect. He cared about everyone above anything else in this world, so he had to be colder and more indifferent than anyone. 

But Xu Ningyan was different. He always acted in the very interests of the sect and yet, at other times, on his whims. It was like consequences mattered naught to him. Or like if something was not interesting, he would not care. Having a temperamental master was not an issue. 

Shi Mo just did not get how there was a sort of frightening darkness in Xu Ningyan’s eyes every time she looked him in the eye. Be it whether he was truly angry or happy, his eyes remained cold. Not like it was surprising or anything, he would not even bat his eyes if someone was killed in front of him. This was one reason why their Palace Master was often referred to as a monster, added with the fact that his cultivation shot up from nothing to higher than most of their seniors…  

They could not guess his next actions whether it be a violent one or a calm one. Even when they watched him their whole life, no one could truly understand him. He was above them all, not in the sense that he acted superiorwhich did not matter for he was truly superiorbut above in the sense that there was an incomparable distance between them.  

Even if Shi Mo truly believed that Xu Ningyan cared for everyone, even if Xu Ningyan genuinely cared and acted for them, it did not change the fact that from birth till now, their master was a lone genius, fated to stand above others and there was literally nothing that could be reflected in their eyes. 

It was said that their master could not recall much of his past before Xu Ningshu brought her back, only that it had something to do with that person. That person had scarred him so deeply, they were the only person who could invoke any sorts of genuine emotions from himeven if it was just negative ones.  

But agitation stemming from his hate had kept him from ascension, making the incurable poison he was inflicted with grow stronger each day, making him grow weaker each day.  

Shi Ningshu had warned many times not to let both of them meet. That was why they had that person on watch, and at times they could not help but mess with him but never would they allow that person and Xu Ningyan’s paths to intersect. 

Knowing his orders, Xu Ningyan never tried to see that person on purpose but no matter how hard they tried to prevent the meeting, he knew they would meet someday to settle scores with each other. 

But if Xu Ningyan was going to wane and disappear like this, would it not be better for? That was just a thought of hers. Not like they would go against Xu Ningshu’s words. And also, they trust that he would find a way to help Xu Ningyan. 

Just then, there was a commotion ahead. Everyone was doing the same thing but this one person was destroying the enemy in the most violent way possible. It could be said that the bloodlust in his aura was so strong; nobody dared to go near him. 

The Yunwu Shi disciples all had the same thought in their minds: there actually exists a monster like their master! How atrocious! 

They all shuddered as they felt a killing intent behind them. They turned solemnly to find a grinning Xu Ningyan. His grin was bright and as if being accompanied by flowers and yet, they felt cold water rushed down their spine. 

The commotion had snapped him out of his thoughts, standing in his bloodstained attire. They quickly dispersed and did their own things. The person stopped to catch his breath and the feeling of being watched had diminished but there was still someone?  

He turned and they met eyes then. Even though the shock in Xu Ningyan’s eyes was fleeting, he somehow managed to catch a glimpse of it. The fact that his eyes immediately turned red was not a hard guess that he, in a way or another, knew of him. 

He stood tall, unfazed by the horrible stench, flicking the black blood off his sword to the ground. Possessing an innately captivating presence, his momentum was so strong; everyone could not help but notice him. 

Xu Ningyan almost could not look away. It was not because he was mesmerised by his good looks but that he did not expect to see him here or anywhere near him. The grip on his sword tightened as he lowered his gaze to calm his killing intent that soared without intention, the devil qi in him burned excitedly, and when he was calm enough to look up again, the person was gone. His knuckles turned white and trembled. 

This was the first time, in the longest time; they had ever met eye to eye. Though he did not recognise him—that itself made the fire in his heart rage even further. What was he doing here? He had sworn he would tear him to pieces if he even dared to show himself before him; it took everything in him to stop himself from making a move. The ground beneath his feet seemed to have sunk a little. 

Unable to calm down, he left the place. He needed to vent or he would lose his mind.  

His followers were here anyways, he did not have to actually oversee the situation. In fact, he found that to be too boring. Someone will report to him later, in regards to everything that occurred in places he was present and places she was not.  

Shi Mo watched Xu Ningyan’s strange actions and tried looking around to see who he saw but could not find anyone strange. Passing a message to a colleague to watch over the place, Shi Mo went after Xu Ningyan. 

As he could not think of anything but the feeling of wanting to hurt something or someone surged up, he dashed into a cave. Not forgetting to destroy the entrance so Shi Mo could not come in. Right then, loud tremors could be felt on the mountain, people with weaker cultivation would find it hard to withstand the pressure and lose their footing.  

No matter who it was, as long as they were capable of sensing spiritual energies, they knew how dangerous the thing exerting said pressure must be! Unwittingly, making everyone quite scared.  

Was there a high-levelled magical beast staying in the vicinity? Did all the fighting and devil qi anger the guardian beast on this mountain?  

That was right! Various conjectures were found in the minds of these cultivators. And the most prominent one was that it was said that a guardian beast that could par gods themselves lived on this mountain?!  

They should be fine! They were only trying to help! They would surely be forgiven for trespassing!!!  

Only the Yunwu Shi disciples looked calm. Though, it was only on the outside. Internally, their mind had already collapsed. For they knew, the reason for this, and this overwhelming, unrelenting, aggressive and familiar pressure, was their monster of a master…  

Shi Mo was looking after their master right? Why did their Master lose control? How many things would be left unharmed…… They instantly felt like kneeling and begging for forgiveness from the so-called guardian beast and all that resided on this mountain.  

Not because they were afraid of them, only they felt sorry for the damage that would be caused. The ecosystem would definitely be disrupted and the areas that their master had run wild at, well, will become a wasteland and useless to cultivators. Whatever was left of the spirit springs would definitely be damaged. 

If there were any survivors to Baishan Wu, they could no longer stay here.  

Birds and other animals staying near the areas around the cave would flee and those leaving at the foot would feel quakes that came at a weirdly fast tempo. Angry growls could be heard as well.  

Shi Mo who could not catch up to Xu Ningyan was faced with a blocked entrance. She dared not complain about her master, knowing he had his reasons. She was just worried. He was fine at one moment and not at the next. What was the reason for this rage? Was there someone in that group of cultivators? 

She would send someone to check again the identities of those who came to the raid. 

If anyone saw Xu Ningyan, they could definitely see a black miasma encircling around him, exuding pressure and crazed red eyes. No matter how one tries to make sense of it, it would only look like a demonic cultivator channeling their devil qi and losing control of it.  

What he held in his hands was the sword with the black scabbard. The black sword was used to channel the raw, uncontrollable energies in his body. He guessed it was because of the cold poison in him; a part of his spiritual energy became uncontrollable and was always affected by his emotional states. Blood dripped from his eyes as he closed them and panted. Then the ceiling came down on him. 

Both swords had matching markings on their scabbards, with gold framings. The markings bear resemblance to a bird. One white sword, one black sword, something he had gotten with some trouble. They were made with ores that resonated strongly with the powers of the Sun and the Moon. 

  

After what felt like forever, the tremors stopped. Shi Mo gazed unwaveringly at the cave, waiting for Xu Ningyan to reappear. The mouth cave was gone; the whole cave was now, nothing but rumbles. 

Prior to this point, the group of five Shadow Guards sent to rescue the remaining surviving members of Baishan Wu was almost done. They came to an underground dungeon that was strangely left unguarded but they chose to enter it anyways. 

There, they witnessed first handedly how normal cultivators were changed into Fallens. It was a long, terrible and torturous process. They could see people bound to stone pillars, there were magic formations markings glowing on their body. Demonic cultivators present would trace knives across those markings and blood would seep out as the victims cried out. Their voices were hoarse and weary, like it was not the first time they had gone through these. Those who could not cry out, could only convulse silently where they were held. 

At a corner was a pile of messed up corpses. They were wilted, dried out and in the middle was a huge crystal looking object. It was crimson red and oozing devil qi all over, hovering unpleasantly. There were a few cracks on it, and from the cracks, blood was dripping. It probably exceeded the amount of dark energies it could possibly hold.

The cries and tortures were endless. The Shadow Guards of Yunwu Shi, a measly number of five elites, could not help but feel great indignation towards those who had caused much suffering and despair for the innocent people of Baishan Wu.  

Their agonising screams and pleas were no longer unheard. As time ticked by, they could no longer take it as they accessed the situation. The shadow guards split up and circled the demonic cultivators without stirring any attention. Their every action was clean, quick and swift. Not a single wasted motion, and the heads of demonic cultivators were sent flying.  

Blood splattered across their masks, their eyes cold and unyielding. Cold pressure surrounded their body as they approached the survivors.  

“W-who are?!” A voice croaked, sounding alarmed. 

There were only around ten people still breathing. Their body was covered in blood, unclear whether it was their own or others. The Shadow Guards looked at each other and then back at the owner of the voice. A frail looking young man, red lines marked halfway on his face. It did not seem like he had been long under the knife. He might just heal better than most of his fellow martial brothers.  

The elderly ones could not hold on till help came. 

The Shadow Guard closest to the young man, reached to his waist and then showed their jade pendant. One that showed their identities.  

“...Y-you..why?” The young man looked up at the pair of cold eyes and shuddered. 

Why would Yunwu Shi, located on the other end of Listeria, send people here? What did they want? Was it as simple as helping them…? 

“Poetry Garden sent us,” the Shadow Guard answered and removed the binds on him. His comrades did the same for the other survivors. As they prepared to leave, they felt a shocking presence, they spread their hands in a defensive stance, gesturing for the survivors to back away. 

Who was it? They did not recognise this frightening pressure! Even with five of them working together, they doubt they could win against this person. The survivors had a similar terrified gaze in their eyes. They know, the Shadow Guards realised that fact and looked ahead where the entrance stood a looming figure. 

The pressure was so strong; they found it hard to breathe. They slowly reached for the swords behind their backs. Before long, they came to a standstill. The figure pondered if he should take care of all of them and leave when tremors could be felt.  

The shocks from the tremors gave out an appalling scent. The survivors shivered, barely holding it together while some of them lost their footing and fell. As the tremors ended, so did the pressure. The person at the entrance was gone. 

“Get up, we must leave now.” 

The Shadow Guards looked at each other and came to an agreement. Four of them guided the survivors away from the sect building, towards their meeting point. A couple of Poetry Garden attendants were waiting for them. The one that spoke to the young cultivator from Baishan Wu, headed towards the other direction.

The direction they felt the previous tremor came from. The direction their master was in. Shadow Guards were clearer than normal disciples of what it meant when their master got into that stage. They had seen the full horrors of it, the day Xu Ningshu found Xu Ningyan ten years ago.

0