chapter 16
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Song Wenyue helped Xu Ningyan off the carriage, he finally noticed how pale he looked under the sunlight. When his feet reached the ground he stumbled into him, shocking Shi Yun and the rest of the shadow guard team. They almost hurried to his side but they stood their ground.  

If there was something that irked their master, it was being pitied. He prided himself to be a strong person, whether explicitly or implicitly. Or perhaps, it was all a guise. In any case, the only thing besides his indifference to everything that was prominent was his sudden mood swing. One would not know when he would snap, behind that mask of his.  

Song Wenyue frowned, unconsciously moving his left hand to grip on his right wrist. He looked at him with a questioning gaze. What did he think he was doing? The shadow guards held their breath and looked away.  

Their master had treated Young Master Song differently since their first interaction. He might not realise it, treating it as a momentary curiosity that kept deepening the longer they interacted. No matter what he said or did, he seemed to be unbothered…  

“Hold my arm,” he said with an unyielding tone.  

It was not a question of whether or not she wanted to depend on him. He was not even asking him a question. 

Xu Ningyan blinked at his actions before chuckling darkly as he moved his hand to hold his left arm without reluctance.  

If it was anyone else ordering him around, that very person would not live to see another day. 

Following this, Song Wenyue’s grasp on Xu Ningyan’s hand lightened. He then reached out his right hand to take his pulse. He frowned, noticing the strange, almost unnoticeable disorientation in her breathing. There seemed to be purple veins peeking from under his collar on his neck, showing signs of being poisoned. 

“What happened? You…” 

He was with him the entire time, how could he not notice that he was wounded seriously? His qi was a mess; it did not make sense at all how he could still stand.  Watching how upset and serious he looked, he pondered over how he should answer him. 

“Well….” Xu Ningyan shrugged his shoulders and smiled lazily. 

“Was the female cultivator from before that strong?” 

For him, who was unable to use his qi properly and even if he was at his full strength, victory was impossible for him. But, he figured Xu Ningyan was stronger than anyone he had ever met…  

“No, she’s not that capable.” 

“Then how could you get poisoned?” 

“I have my arms occupied with a certain young master…” 

“... You could have left me there!”  

“Too late to say that now.” 

“...I’m sorry.” 

“What are you sorry for? Everything I do is my own responsibility. It had nothing to do with you or anyone. I don’t want you to die so I lend a hand. If you want to die that much, you should do that in a place my eyes can’t see. If not, as long as I am there when you're in danger you cannot stop me from helping you.”  

“Thank you…” 

“No need for thanks. After everything, aren’t we pretty much friends now?”  

“...” 

“?” 

“Yes. Anyone would be honoured to be a friend to the infamous Young Master Xu.”

Xu Ningyan snorted, removing his hand off Song Wenyue and patted his shoulder. “That’s great. Anyways, I lied. The poison had nothing to do with you at all. Even if it was, it wouldn't work against me.”

If he was not poisoned to begin with, it might have worked. But too bad for them, the poison that had long resided in his body was the most potent poison with no antidote in the entire Listeria. Any poison would be rendered useless when coming in contact with it. 

The five shadow guards took their place around Xu Ningyan, with Shi Yun standing on the other side of their master. Ahead, an angry looking Xi Yunhe and a young lady dressed in red and black approached.  

The five of them clasped their hands together and bowed at the duo.  

Her physique looked strangely familiar, Song Wenyue. She had a hat with muslin around it, covering her face. 

“Little master, you’re trying to piss me off to death is it?” The pretty faced youth said, gritting his teeth. He reached his hand out to flick Xu Ningyan but Song Wenyue raised his sword to block it. 

Xu Ningyan raised an eyebrow at the sword. Did he really think that if Xi Yunhe truly wanted to hurt her, he would really have a chance at blocking it? He pushed his sword away and looked at the continuously darkening of Xi Yunhe’s face. 

Xi Yunhe ignored him and directly pulled Xu Ningyan’s wrist. He took his pulse and seemed to be even angrier. “Didn’t you say you were staying back to look after the injured? Why on Somnus are your inner qi damaged and did you lose a couple of—” His large eyes widened in surprise as he noticed something strange. He looked at Xu Ningyan with a glare. 

“You think too much. We just got ambushed on the way back,” Xu Ningyan said, clearly intended for him to not finish his sentence. 

Song Wenyue looked at Xu Ningyan in a questioning gaze. What did Xi Yunhe mean? Why did he stop him from finishing his sentence? What did he lose? He really did lie about the condition he was in having nothing to do with him! 

“Shouldn’t those shadow guards of yours protect you?!” He was literally shouting at this point.  

“They have their hands full.” He shrugged. 

“And what would be more important than your safety?! At this point, they shouldn’t be allowed to keep that title of theirs!” 

The shadow guards beside him felt it hard to keep a straight face at his remark. They peek at their master’s face. There was a hint of amusement as if he found the whole situation funny. 

“My orders. Besides, if you were to look at the situation, I’m the only one who’s fine. You want a bunch of injured people and cannot use their internal forces to risk their lives for me? What a joke. I can take care of myself.” 

“You can take care of yourself? Now look here!!” Xi Yunhe’s eyes were practically on fire. Not being able to use internal forces? Could he even use any now?! 

“Young Master Xi! It was my fault,” Song Wenyue quickly confessed and almost immediately he felt a burning gaze redirected to him. It was uncomfortable; he could even feel daggers from his eyes like he could just gobble him up right now and then. 

“What do you mean?” He sucked a deep breath and asked, as if repressing his anger. 

“I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself,” Xu Ningyan said again, a slight annoyance in his tone. Why? Their master had never lost his temper at Xi Yunhe. Ever. He was still smiling, so he must have not realised it yet. 

“If you were that capable, you would not have fallen into a trap in the first place!” Xi Yunhe’s burning gaze returned to Xu Ningyan. 

“With that level? They’ll need another hundred years before they can actually trick me,” he replied smugly. “The only trap that I can fall into is the one I willingly walked into.” 

“You’ll get yourself killed with that recklessness and overconfidence of yours one day,” Xi Yunhe huffed, flicking his sleeve. Right, how long had he known him? He practically raised him. He face palmed, wondering why the child he raised would be so overconfident enough to walk into any trap out of curiosity.  

If he really got himself killed one day, how should he face his family? They might not blame him but he would not be able to live with it. And besides, he was rather afraid of Gentleman Xu. Who did not know that he loved his children like his treasures? If something befell them, he would not mind destroying a country. 

The only person Gentleman Xu dare not offend was the Grandmaster but even that was just giving him face out of his love for his late wife. If not, he would not have tolerated the old man’s taunts for decades. 

But seriously, Xi Yunhe took an overdrawn sigh. He practically raised this little master and all he ever wanted was him to be alright and never returning to the state he was in when he first met him. 

An overconfident rascal or an empty vessel, which was better? 

“You’re all grown up now. I will trust that you know what to do when any situation arises. But, I want you to remember your status at all times. You know how the old foxes back at your father’s place are looking for every opportunity to cause mischief. If anything happens to you, both sects…” 

“I know.” His tone returned to usual nonchalance. The shadow guards looked at each other, so in the end, what irked their master? 

“Young Master,” a voice that sounded exactly like Xu Ningyan came from the young lady, only her tone was oddly polite and humble. It looked like she was trying too hard not to bow at Xu Ningyan. 

That was right, Song Wenyue thought. She reminded him of Xu Ningyan, the person standing right next to him. It was not just her physique, even her every action and movement resembled him. He dared bet the appearance of the person behind the muslin would bore an uncanny resemblance to Xu Ningyan. 

“What is it?” 

“A report came from Shi Nie saying that those people that were hunting both Young Masters were all found dead. Except for their leader, who looked like she was in her last breath, heading north.”

“Oh, who’s so charitable? Willing to put themselves up on the plate to become enemies with our enemies? Wanting to be our allies that much?” 

“One of the participants of the raid. Their name and background were fakes. We lost track of him. We’re sorry for not checking properly…”

“I see. No need to bother with that person for now. Find out where their leader is heading. We can finally find out who’s behind this for once.” 

“Understood. Your highness, do you think they’re an enemy or a friend?” Shi Yun asked, taking in the information Shi Xia had brought them. Shi Xia passed a jade slip to Shi Yun before saying in a low voice, “You better take care. Momo is so angry she might just overthrow you one day.” 

Shi Yun accepted the jade slip, took a step back, refusing to comment on her words. No matter how much the other shadow guards were looking on like he was a joke.

“Do you think it’s that person I mentioned to you before?”  

Everyone turned to look at Song Wenyue. They had completely forgotten about his presence. It was all so natural, him being there. Xu Ningyan did not react any differently so the five did not say anything either. 

Xi Yunhe stared at Song Wenyue so long, Song Wenyue felt his ears burning. To that, Xu Ningyan almost laughed. 

“Brother Yunhe, don’t worry. He’s a friend.” 

“A friend is still an outsider. Even your own blood relative would betray you, what more a mere friend you barely know?” 

“Whatever big brother said is correct. Anyways, you’re leaving right?” 

Xu Ningyan replied perfunctorily.  

“Don’t try to patronise me! Don’t think you can just send me away like this! I think I will stay—”  

Concern filled Xi Yunhe’s orbs. Even if he knew these sorts of incidents were normal to them, he could not help but worry that one day instead of news of Xu Ningyan falling into traps; it would be about the little master’s untimely death. 

“Go back; you shouldn’t stay in Ming Jing too long. Our statuses are too much for us to be together in the same country. Besides, you being with me would cause more trouble than comfort.” 

Also the fact that Xi Yunhe would get into his way was troublesome. If he were to know of what he had been doing and putting himself through while they were apart, he would not leave him out of his sight, ever. He sent a full round of glares at his shadow guards without anyone realising. The shadow guards shuddered in fear but had to keep up their stances. What did they even do?! 

“What do you mean by that?”  

“Oh, I don’t know. Xu Ningze’s little beauty travelling alongside Xu Ningyan would attract too much attention, don’t you think?” 

After all, Xi Yunhe’s status is too much. Even with a disguise, he would still get found out because of how much attention he gets just by walking around. 

“Brat, I told you not to call me that in public!” 

“Don’t get angry now. People might think I’m trying to steal you away. Rumours travel fast these days~” he teased. 

He raised his hand to beat him but stopped himself. Who knew why the other brat beside him looked like he was going to bite him if he dared touch a single hair of his.  

This was clearly a different person from before! Just a month back, he would not even give the little palace master a second look and now, he would not let anyone touch him…  

Xi Yunhe shot daggers at Song Wenyue. Xu Ningyan was practically his child! Who did he think he was? His watchdog?! Not worthy! He definitely would not allow this engagement to proceed! The only reason he got hurt in the first place was because of this incompetent young master!  

“Quell your anger. Second brother is going to beat me up if he knew I bullied you.” 

“Shut up already! I’m going back already! Don’t ask me to pick up your corpse when you die!” Xi Yunhe turned and stomped away in anger. 

“Hey!” Song Wenyue frowned, unhappy with his unlucky words. 

Shi Xia nodded at Xu Ningyan and went after Xi Yunhe. They came by horses so they would return to the Song residence. There were three horses. The last one was for Song Wenyue. 

Leaving that horse behind, they sped back to the capital. 

“Don’t mind it too much. He’s just embarrassed. And besides, this lord turns all unlucky words into his favours. Hahahaha!” Xu Ningyan chuckled darkly. 

Song Wenyue looked at him weirdly. Was he a mind reader? This was not the first time he had said what was on his mind. 

“What are you looking at me for? You should head back too. If you don’t hurry, that horse might just go off on its own.” 

Shi Yun looked at them, thinking that they had a few more words to exchange, went ahead and pulled the horse back for Young Master Song.

“...? You’re not going back to my place? What about your grandfather?” He asked in disbelief. 

“I’ll just be away for a few days, don’t miss me too much.” 

“I won’t! But you’re not even feeling well.” 

“Shi Xia will be filling in for me during my absence. Don’t act too obvious that I’m away and don’t let your mother see her.” 

He tilted his head in confusion. “Why not?” 

“Have a feeling she’ll see through Shi Xia.” 

“But my mother’s just a normal person.” 

“Normal people are the scariest,” he jested.  

Song Wenyue did not understand but he trusted his words. He must have his reasons for saying so. He nodded in understanding. 

“Alright. What are your plans?” 

“I’ll have those at your place act like I have caught a cold from my trip and am not fit to meet guests. Should suffice till my return.” 

He looked at the blazing Sun and looked back at Song Wenyue. 

“Alright, we should split up now. It’s getting late. Nobody will come for you in the capital. Even if somebody did, they still need to get through the Immortal Swordsman. I’ll take my leave now. Don’t go around provoking you shouldn’t...” 

“...Must you go? Your injuries aren’t even...” His eyebrows scrunched together, he could not finish his words as he frowned. He would most definitely go around biting people; he was not a beast alright?! 

“Poetry Garden knows more about curing illness than the royal doctors in the capital. Nothing for this young master to worry about.” Xu Ningyan said, turning his back against Song Wenyue, both hands behind his back. 

“Young Master Xu,” Song Wenyue hesitated to reach out to Xu Ningyan. 

“What is it?”

“We’re really friends right…?”

“I wasn’t saying that to provoke my brother. Don’t worry about it. What’s that phrase again? We’re pretty much old friends from the first meeting.”

“...” Song Wenyue felt that there was something wrong with that on many levels. 

“You look like you don’t believe me.”

“No… Do you even know what being old friends feel like?”

“I don’t. I have many acquaintances though. You can be the first ‘old friend’. Great honour, don’t you think so?”

Song Wenyue smiled. “Yeah, very much so.”

“That…”

“Hmmm?”

“Since we’re friends… Could you tell me honestly, are you really okay?”

There was a faint curl on the corner of  Xu Ningyan’s lips, hearing the concern in his voice. “Duty calls, this lord must depart.” 

“Can’t I go with you?” He asked with uncertainty that he would allow him to join him. 

“You? Into a den of foxes?” He chuckled at the thought of it. It felt nonsensical, for he never thought of bringing him there—a place only hidden tigers and dragons go to gamble with foxes. 

“...Is that a no?”

“Not this time. You might just lose everything if you go now.” 

“Why?! But it’s fine for you to go…?” 

“I’m their young master.” 

“So?” 

“That makes me, head of those foxes, no?”  

“In any case, I’ll be back in a few days. If nothing pops up, that is. Be good and watch the house.” 

Though, he must say, if he did come over despite him asking him nicely not to, he would have another thing coming for him. He would, after all, never talk someone out of something, at least never in a nice way without pressuring or threatening them. 

Song Wenyue raised an eyebrow. Was it just him or was there something off with his sentence? He could never tell if he was implying anything with that face of his. He sighed inwardly.  

“Fine.” He grumbled unhappily and took the reins from Shi Yun. Then he went off without a second glance. 

Xu Ningyan watched his departing back that seemed to be sulking and chuckled. 

“Your highness, please get back onto the carriage,” Shi Yun stated, as he felt his fellow shadow guards drilling their gazes onto his back.  

Finally. 

“Right, because the wind is bad right? I know,” he replied coldly, getting into the carriage. The smile was gone from his bloodless face as he sat down in his seat, taking out a handkerchief from his pouch. 

“Your highness?” Shi Yun looked at him curiously but quickly turned away when he stared at him. He breathed weakly, as if all strength had left him. Coughing into the handkerchief and blood tainted the cloth. 

Shi Yun waited for his cough to stop. The others remained calm as well, as if they were used to this. 

“Let’s go,” he said, laying his back against the wall of the carriage and closing his eyes.  

About his wounds, they were not worried because his self-repairing ability was excellent, comparable to a demonic cultivator and he had never dwelt in demonic cultivation before.  

As long as he still had a single breath left, most wounds would not pose a problem to him and all he would need was time. ‘Why was that?’ was a question that would never occur to these shadow guards because they take it as a given that the masters they served were that competent. 

The only flaw was that it could not get rid of the cold poison from his body. 

There was actually just one issue that the shadow guards found concerning. Truly concerning. They did not know how they should tell the other masters; of how he was actually sleeping when they found him—for the first time in all the years they knew him—and that was in the presence of Song Wenyue.  

They only knew each other for a month and sure, many things would change to anyone if they spent a month together stuck in a life or death situation.  

But, that was only possible if the other party was not their master, Xu Ningyan. One could die for him and he still would not trust you enough to let down his guards. They say it was because of something that happened in the past but no one really knew of the true story. Even their master himself did not remember everything completely. 

They unanimously decided to reconfirm Song Wenyue’s identity once they settled down at the branch.

0