Chapter 21 : Siegfried de Chauvegné
164 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Diana de Chauvegné.

A woman blinded by greed.

A woman who left her husband for another man.

The kind of woman who's so easy to hate and judge.

People said that she left her husband because she was dissatisfied with her blind husband. Living in an abandoned mansion with no maids nor butlers, even as a noble, made her detest the life that she had with her blind husband.

But was that really the case?

--

Diana lived a Cinderella story. Even if she was a noble, she wasn't treated like one. 

She belonged in a Count house with her father, her step-mother, and her step-sister. She wasn't treated as a daughter of the Count, instead, she was treated like a maid. They reasoned that it was because she was an illegitimate child, a child of one of the maids defiled by the Count. 

Her mother died from childbirth, leaving her behind, alone in this world. She was left to fend for her own.

Her father did not treat her like a daughter, but Diana was still thankful because he made sure that she was fed well, and she was given her own room. 

Even if the household had a number of maids, she was still assigned twice the number of tasks of a normal maid. She knew that it was because of her step-mother, who hated her existence to the very core. Her step-mother wanted her to suffer, or better yet, to leave the household.

One day, she accidentally broke the musical box of her step-sister. Her step-sister screamed at her and slapped her in the face. That was the first time they hurt her.

Then her step-mother came and whipped her until she couldn't stand. That was the second time they hurt her.

When it came to her father, the count, she heaved a sigh of relief when he said that he would not punish her anymore.

Instead, she would be wed to the newly appointed Duke, Meltif de Chauvegné.

She had heard of him before. The general who always wore a bloodied cape. The one who killed thousands of enemy battalions, using his army of 50 thousand men. The general who brought meritorious deeds and countless glories to the kingdom. The one they called the 'bloody hound', Meltif de Chauvegné.

She heard the latest news from a maid.  The king decided to give him land and grant the title of Duke to recognize his meritorious deeds. 

But one year later, an accident happened. The general's best friend and right-hand man was captured by the enemy during the battle. It was said to be one of the hardest and toughest battles that the whole kingdom had fought. Meltif de Chauvegné was tasked to lead the kingdom to victory. But even with his might, because of the ferocity of the battle, many died.

From his 50 thousand men, it was reduced to only a thousand left. The same could be said to the enemy kingdom, which was reduced from 200 thousand to only 15 thousand men. The general had to brave the enemy battalion with only a thousand men, to defeat the enemy and to save their lieutenant general.

The general won the war along with his men, but they felt as if they had lost. The general lost his sight and the lieutenant general died. The general's army seemed to have disintegrated after the war. The captains of the general's army retired the moment their general retired.

It was very tragic.

It made Diana sad at the thought of the man who lost his men and best friend. Diana thought that it might be hard on him, especially when he became blind.

Thus, she did not feel wronged when her father told her that her fiance would be the duke. Instead, she felt guilty because she felt unworthy of the duke.

Their wedding day came and Diana was very giddy. For the first time, she tried on a very glamorous dress that sparkled as she walked. The moment she reached her husband, she was stunned by his looks. A tall, handsome man with silky black hair stood right in front of her. He looked very solemn in his white military uniform, his eyes closed.

She couldn't help but wonder, what would it be like to be stared at by his eyes?

She fell in love at first sight. Diana made a promise to herself, that even if she was undeserving of him, that even if she had very little power, she would do her best to help him and make his life better. She would try her best for him, hoping that in the process, he would love her for who she was.

The moment they married, she always cleaned the whole mansion and arranged everything beautifully. She cooked for him and tried to help him as much as she could.

But he always rejected her.

Whenever she tried to aid him as he walked, he always swatted her hand away. Whenever she tried to help him get up when he fell down, he always told her to go away.

It saddened her. It pierced painfully her heart that was filled with love for him. There never came a day when she did not cry.

The bitterness and melancholy ate her whole being, making her a bit aggressive. The first time she shouted at him was when she couldn't take it anymore.

'Fine! Go rot for all I care you stupid blind man!'

It silenced him, he did not retort anymore. Since then, it became easy to shout at him in order for him to follow her, and also for her to express her distress and frustration.

She guided him through the mansion. Together they memorized the whole garden and hallways. Together they memorized each room, setting a landmark for him to know where he was at.

Because of her, he was able to walk and navigate on his own.

He did not give her any thanks nor any praise, but it was fine for her as long as he was alright.

Then one day on a stormy night, she noticed that the man was gone.

Diana frantically searched for him - in the gardens, in the hallways - but he was not there. She decided to look for him outside even though it was raining, but she did not find him.

She returned home soaked with rain. The moment she came home she saw her husband drying a little boy. 

Then their family of two became bigger.

It became harder for her to budget the food and the expenses due to the extra child. But she did not mind. It was because, for the first time, her husband was smiling. 

It came to the point where Diana had to skip meals in order for the child to eat. Many times she fainted, but no one noticed.

Then came the time when they had no food anymore. She stood in front of the kitchen aisle, there was no food left.

It was the exact moment that the two came in, the little boy complained, stating that he was hungry, asking when will the food be done.

She did not mean to shout at the boy, but maybe because of not having eaten since yesterday, she shouted at him.

'Shut it!'

The boy cried and left the kitchen. Only she and her husband were left in the kitchen. 

Her husband stood silently then opened his mouth.

'Try to be nice, even for once.'

She was left in the kitchen.

Diana felt the tears trickling down her cheeks. She wiped it away with her trembling hands, holding down her sobs. 

'This is not the time.'

She left the mansion and visited the neighboring city. It was a 30-minute walk from the mansion. She felt like she would faint but she persevered for the sake of those at home.

Diana arrived at the red light district, but she wasn't aware due to her lightheadedness. Many prostitutes were present, along with many men.

She stopped in front of a prostitute house, gazing at it with her half-lidded eyes. The head of the house looked at her and asked what was her business with them.

She told them the following words.

'Food... and money.'

They took her in, fed her, and dressed her as a prostitute. She lost her virginity that day.

The next day, she came back with food on her newly purchased bag and a pouch of gold. She was willing herself to walk, the pain in her abdomen worsening every step.

The kid and her husband looked at her coldly when they saw her in the kitchen. She awkwardly smiled at them and told them to sit down and eat.

They lived lavishly and without worries. They got to eat more than 3 times a day, and they got to have new clothes.

Diana was always away during the night, she always came back home before sunrise. She cooked the food for the day before going to sleep. Her husband and the child did not know that Diana was crying every night. She cried because of what she lost, her dignity and pride.

One day, she was kicked out of the prostitute house. Her customer wanted a bit of whip play but due to her trauma, she strongly disagreed and fought the customer. It resulted in her losing her only job.

She was walking down the streets of the red light district; frustration evident in her eyes.

Then she came across the man who was her first customer. He asked her what happened. 

Maybe it was the grief and sadness bottled up inside her, maybe that's why she answered truthfully. Her situation, her need for money, and everything else.

The man held her as she cried. The strong Diana wailed as if it were her last.

The man was very kind. He offered her his money and his home, but with a condition.

She had to stay with him until the day he dies.

He gave her a piece of paper, in it was the address of his house. He told her to come once she made a decision.

And that's why Diana left.

But even when she left, she made sure to give them money. She asked the granny from the vegetable shop, who Diana became close with, to give the money to her husband when she was gone. 

Years passed by and everything was going so well, until that day.

She heard that her husband will be hanged. Diana rushed to the man who helped her to confirm if this was true.

The man told her that it was true. Diana begged the man to do something, but all she got as a response was his shaking his head. 

Diana left and visited the palace, only to be blocked by the knights. She begged in front of the palace gate to pardon her husband, doing it from morning till night, not missing a single day.

But her pleas were unanswered and her husband was hanged.

Depression ate her away, her health deteriorating. Diana did not eat, Diana did not sleep.

She died a month after her husband was hanged. She told the man to help the child, even a little, once she was gone.

And that was the life of Diana.

Diana de Chauvegné.

--

But now 'I' am Diana.

I felt her sorrow. I felt the sufferings she had endured. And through all this, I could feel her legs shaking as she tried to stand, her whole body aching, and the soreness all over her body.

And Diana is 'I'.

Diana held the knob of the front door with her wet hands, opening it with a swing.

The thunder sounded once she stepped inside. She closed the door and put her things down. A path of wet footprints trailed behind her as she walked.

Diana got up the stairs and stopped in front of a familiar door. 

She also opened this door.

What greeted her was a man with luscious black hair, lying on the bed. The man looked as if he was in pain, sweat trickling down his face.

Diana approached the man and knelt beside him. She looked around searching for a towel, finding two on the bedside table.

She used the other to wipe her hands, then proceeded to check his temperature.

He was very hot, to the point where it's scalding.

Diana pursed her lips, as she stared worriedly at the man.

She used the remaining clean towel to wipe the man's sweat, her whole body aching as she did so.

'Now what to do?'

Diana then remembered the words said to her before.

[Your 'Heal' can only be used three times.]

'Three times.'

She wondered if it's worth it to use one 'Heal'. 

This man is Diana's husband, Meltif de Chauvegné. Because he died, the second male lead - Siegfried - became vengeful.

'If this man did not die, then maybe Siegfried wouldn't die.'

Diana thought of it. She looked at the man with a hopeful gaze, specifically in his closed eyes.

'Maybe the 'Heal' can heal the man's blindness?'

It was a plausible thought. It was a 'Heal' after all.

Diana now felt that her 'Heal' will not be wasted on this man when his blindness is cured. This man was once a notorious commander, and without the restriction of blindness, he will be able to stand up again.

Diana closed in on the man, intending to heal him. She gently stroked his thick black hair, as if soothing a child.

"Don't worry, I'm here. No one can hurt you now."

'No one can hurt you once you're not blind anymore.'

Diana smiled, her eyes a little bit mischievous.

'Now, how do I heal?'

Diana wondered. Her eyes were twitching as she wondered how to make the skill work.

'Maybe if I say it out loud?'

Diana opened her mouth.

"Heal."

Nothing happened. Diana's brows furrowed as she narrowed her eyes.

'Maybe with intention?'

Diana focused on the man. She held his hands tightly and closed her eyes.

"I do not need much. But please,"

She held it more tightly, her whole body leaned forward as she knelt beside the bed.

"Please give me the strength to be with him... and to heal him of his pains."

'I hope this works. Come on! Heal!'

A faint glow brightened both of them. Diana stared, her eyes wide as she saw the scene in front of her eyes.

A bright shimmer encased him, making the man look magical. The man's furrowed brows softened, a tranquil look present on his face. 

Diana was about to sigh when she felt an obstruction on her throat.

"-ughk---"

Diana coughed, using a towel to cover her mouth. Black blood dripped from her mouth, staining the towel and her dress. She became dizzy, feeling light-headed.

'If this is what usually happens when I use 'Heal', then maybe I won't use it anymore.'

Diana's vision was slowly fading, fatigue consuming her.

The last thing that Diana saw was the man looking at her with his bright silvery eyes.

Oh no! ;-; Diana fainted. What do you guys think? Let me know *u*

I hope you guys can support us by donating some coffee! Just go to ko-fi and search for emeraldstrawberry and you'll definitely see me there. Your donations are so very much welcomed and are very appreciated. T^T I shall mention the wonderful warriors who will donate in the future. You deserve such honor after all.

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! See you on the next one :>

6