Chapter 23 : Siegfried de Chauvegné
179 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Diana woke up feeling the sunshine on her face. She was lying on the bed, the same spot where Meltif was sleeping. She blinked her eyes, recalling what happened the night before.

She was reincarnated at the exact moment where the original Diana was about to leave. Now that she decided to come back, then the plot would most likely change. She sat up slowly, the blanket skidding off of her. Putting her palms on her forehead, she heaved a sigh, attempting to calm the painful throbbing in her head.

It doesn't matter anyway for the new Diana. For now, she will try to do what she can.

She put the blankets to the side and proceeded to stand up, then she noticed something. The clothes that she wore the other night was gone and was replaced by a plain peach dress.

Diana remembered those silvery eyes that she saw before she lost her consciousness.

'That would mean that he's not blind anymore.'

Yet she couldn't help wondering who changed her clothes. The only ones in the mansion were her, the child, and -

Her eyes widened as she thought of him.

'Meltif!'

Diana felt her face become hot as she clasped her palms on her cheeks. Even if the body is not innocent, the soul inside Diana was a natural virgin.

Suddenly, the double doors opened with a creak. A tall man holding a tray and a stick in his other hand stepped inside the room.

Diana's brows furrowed as she looked at the man up and down.

Indeed, this man is Meltif de Chauvegné. He was the very epitome of a handsome man. His chiseled jaw emphasized more his manliness. His short jet black hair looked thick and soft, swaying as he walked. With his eyes closed, it accentuated his long thick lashes that every woman would die to have. He had that kind of face that would stop someone in her tracks.

He did not have a pale complexion. It had a warm hue but not too tan. It outlined his lean muscular physique that did not even try to hide even with his clothes on. He walked with grace and decisiveness that you wouldn't see from an ordinary man. Every step was steady and full of dominance, like that of a seasoned soldier.

Diana sighed in her head. He was definitely her type of guy.

And that type of guy was walking towards her. He stopped in front of her, his towering figure encompassing her small dainty frame.

Meltif, with his eyes closed, sets the tray down on the bedside table. His heart was hammering as he felt the stare of the woman directed at him.

Both were silent. The woman on the bed looked at the man in front of her, while the man felt her gaze centered on him.

"Have you eaten? How is your fever?"

Diana was worried. She quickly stood up and held his cheeks, checking his forehead.

Meltif stiffened, feeling Diana's soft palms on his face. He once again felt that warm feeling filling up his chest.

Diana felt that his forehead wasn't too warm or cold. She breathed a sigh of relief as she thought that the heal was worth it.

'But why are his eyes closed?'

Diana clearly saw those silvery eyes staring right at her before she lost consciousness. She wondered if his blindness was truly healed.

'I guess if it wasn't recent then it wouldn't work.'

She held his cheeks with both hands while she was in thought. She was suddenly jolted out of her trance once her hand was enveloped by a much larger hand.

It was Meltif's. He caressingly rubbed her palms softly, his grip a little loose. Diana looked at him, her mouth open, her cheeks becoming red.

His face looked solemn. Diana's hands were cold, it cooled him as he held her palms with his much larger hands.

'Is this woman an idiot?'

Instead of checking on herself, prioritizing herself, - she asked him first if he was okay. Meltif wanted to tell her to stop worrying, it's not worth it, but he stayed silent. He instead held her hand, wishing that she can feel his gratitude, regret, and guilt.

Meltif opened his mouth, a little bit hesitant to speak.

"I have."

Diana swooned when she heard his voice. It was deep but soothing, the exact kind of voice that she liked to hear every day. She felt that the original Diana was very lucky to have wedded this man.

'No wonder she fell in love at first sight.'

Because if you asked her, she would too.

Diana looked at the tray on the bedside table. She gently removed her hand from Meltif's face. Her hand reached for the tray while the other was still held by Meltif's hand.

She opened the cover. Inside she saw two loaves of whole wheat bread and a warm cup of milk.

A churning murmur echoed inside the room. It came from her back. Undeniably, that grumble came from Meltif. Diana giggled, her giggles turning into full-blown laughter.

Meltif felt very embarrassed. In truth, he had already drank a warm cup of milk. But being a fully grown man, it wasn't enough to satiate his hunger.

Diana's laughter died down, yet a smile was still etched on her face. She decided to let the man keep his little pride left.

"Okay fine. But I still haven't had breakfast so you need to accompany me."

Diana first cleaned the bed and arranged the sheets. Taking hold of the tray, her arms looped around Meltif's in an attempt to guide him.

"Let's go to the kitchen."

Meltif felt her warm body clinging to him, making his cheeks red. He knew she had done this countless times, but why was it different now?

'Why does she need to hold my hand in the first place?'

Meltif suddenly stiffened. It's because he was blind. That's why she held his hand tightly, to guide him along the way.

It felt nice. The warmth of her hand permitted a fluttering feeling on his chest. It invoked a sense of satisfaction and contentment that calmed him greatly.

The thought of her being his wife was slowly starting to feel right. Making him want for it to be that way.

But he still couldn't trust her. Not ever.

Left with his thoughts, they both headed towards the kitchen.

On their way to the kitchen, Diana observed the hallways.

She frowned at the dust on top of the accent tables, the spider web above the paintings, and the chipped walls lining across the pathway. Her eyes twitched every time she saw a spider and a lizard crawling above the ceiling.

'What kind of-'

She was frustrated at the original Diana. Even if she was busy making some money, she should still make sure that this place is decently livable. since the original Diana was a former maid, she surely expected much more of the original Diana.

The present Diana sighed. Of course, she will add this to the long list of things that she should do while she's here.

Her eyes strayed back to the man at her side. Her lips formed a pout, a little bit disappointed. She originally planned for this man to be healed of his blindness, but it didn't work.

Diana wondered on how can she prevent the death of this brilliant man.

'He was once a commander.'

'His skills seemed to still be there, and he can walk on his own.'

'Maybe...'

Her grip on Meltif's arm tightened, her steps becoming slower.

Meltif felt Diana's pace becoming slower, her grip on his arm compressing. He wanted to peek at her, to see her expression. Was she pouting? Was she frowning? Were her eyes shining, twinkling with wonder?

He wanted to see her, to look at her face. Temptation ate him away and slowly, his eyes started opening.

"Meltif."

He closed his eyes shut, his heart hammering in his chest. She almost saw it he thought. He did not know why he was so scared of her finding out, but he already started it, he already barged in the room earlier with his eyes closed.

Should he just tell the truth?

Diana stopped walking, making Meltif stop in his tracks. Her head was lowered, her expression unclear.

"I know."

Meltif felt like his heart just dropped. Does she know? That his eyes were already cured? He felt cold sweat on his back, almost forgetting how to breathe.

Diana lifted her head. Finally, her expression can be seen. Regret and shame clear on her face.

"I know that you hated me all this time."

"I keep meddling in your affairs, trying to control your life, always shouting at you and complaining at you whenever I had the chance."

Meltif could feel Diana's grip on him loosening. Her firm hold on him was gone and he was left alone standing on his own. It confused him, this was very unlike her.

"I try my hardest to squeeze in your life even though I know that you wanted to be on your own."

Meltif heard her footsteps stepping forward, her voice drifting farther away from him.

"And I'm so, so sorry."

He stilled. The words that he wanted to hear finally left her mouth. All the humiliation and pain he had to go through. All her shouting and utter nonsense for years fed him up making his dislike towards her shoot up, almost to the point of hating her.

That firm dislike-almost-turning-to-hatred that built up through the years started to melt once he heard her say sorry. It gratified him greatly, the joy and smugness filling up his heart.

But why does he feel bothered?

"That's why I'll stop."

He was frozen. What did she mean by stop?

"I'll let you go. I will give you your freedom."

Her voice became so silent he almost couldn't hear what she was saying. With her trembling voice, she whispered.

"But I will only go when I see you up again."

Meltif was stunned. Why did she want to help him so much? He questioned himself. Why would she go out of her way just to be with a blind man like him? Why would she sacrifice her youth just to be with him, to help him?

'Why?'

Diana's reason was simple. She wanted to help him, for him to stand up on his own two feet, to fight back even if he was blind. She knew that she had very little power in this world. She could only clear a path for him, a path that he needed to trek for them to live.

'And in order for me to succeed.'

It doesn't matter if he couldn't see, or hear, or feel. What matters is that he was still there, breathing, and still alive.

And she needs him to be strong in order to survive.

"I will make you stand up again. I will help you get your position back."

Meltif felt rapid footsteps walking towards him. He suddenly felt his hand grasped by small ones. It was very cool on touch, soothing him more.

"So endure with me please."

"I-I promise I'll make it fast so be with me until then."

Her cool hands made him warm instead of cold. It was a new feeling, a feeling that was foreign to him yet comforting. He never wanted to let go.

Yet she was the first to let go of his hands.

Diana remembered that the relationship between the past her and Meltif was very strained. She, being born on earth, understood better than anyone else that a person needs personal space. And that might be the case for this man.

'He must've felt suffocated the entire time he was with this woman.'

So Diana made a decision. It wouldn't affect her either way.

"I understand that you hate my touch so I'll try my best to avoid touching you."

Her voice sounded weak, a little bit hesitant. He was still unaccustomed with it, it made his heart ache even more.

"I'll see you in the kitchen then."

Her footsteps sounded further and further away. When she was almost gone out of his sight, that's when he opened his eyes.

He could now see her gaunt back and willowlike frame. He first imagined her to be plump, full of jewelry or riches of any means attached to her body. He expected her to ooze out with greediness and pride that most rich nobles have.

He expected so much from her that once he saw her, he was stumped. Meltif realized he had overestimated her.

In fact, he thought it all wrong.

She looked too thin, to the point of looking unhealthy. She was very pale and cold that he wondered if she was sick. She owned plain dresses that most cheap stores sold. She did not even have an ounce of jewelry or riches left in all her chests.

Meltif discovered that when he was looking for a clean dress for Diana.

Not even a single penny, nor gold. Not even expensive-looking clothes or bangles. The only thing that he saw expensive was her wedding dress.

The very same dress he specifically instructed the tailor to make horrendous as possible.

He could clearly see she treasured it very well. Putting it away in a box, a thin cloth covering the whole dress, and the gown cleanly tucked inside the box. It was the work of someone who treasured the item far more than its worth.

It prickled his consciousness, to the point he felt his breath clog. He took a deep breath to keep himself calm.

They say there are many signs for a man to know when he shouldn't let a woman go.

One of them, it says.

If she makes you want to be better.

'I will stand up, not just for me.'

'But also for you.'

'For you to rely on me, to repay the moments I relied on you.'

MELTIF WHY?! WHY NOW? *coughs* Never you mind me.

I hope you guys can support us by donating some coffee! Just go to ko-fi and search for emeraldstrawberry and you'll definitely see me there. Your donations are so very much welcomed and are very appreciated. T^T I shall mention the wonderful warriors who will donate in the future. You deserve such honor after all.

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! See you on the next one :>

!

7