Chapter 9.5: Il Minjoon
1.1k 12 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hae Gi was at home preparing dinner. The aroma of chicken combined with herbs spread through the vast space. The sweet yet savory smell of the dish was just heavenly and comforting. Like coming home after a stressful day then finding your favorite dish at the table.

 

While cooking the food, Hae Gi was absentmindedly staring into space.  Not until later when she served the dish in the table did she realize that she cooked a tad bit too much just for both of them.

 

She stood with a frown on her face, her bright blue eyes looking stumped. Hae Gi wondered what to do if there were any leftovers. She couldn't possibly leave it here in the table or else it will rot.

 

She decided to just wait and see. So she sat down at a nearby chair. In the past few days, she noticed that she was a bit disorganized. It was very unlike her. She did not know how to solve it. She exhaled as she waited for Minjoon to come back. She rubbed her cold hands, seeking warmth. It's already past dawn but Minjoon is still not home.

 

Hae Gi stared at her hands. It was unlike a maiden's hands that looked soft and smooth, slender and feminine. Instead, it looked coarse and rough, each finger long and bony. All her life she mostly lived alone. Due to her job, she missed all the gatherings, weddings, and reunions. Her parents yelled at her for being too workaholic, but It was not because of that. It was because she did not know what to say, or do. She was not without emotion, she missed the laughter, the joyous talks, the stories that her family tells every dinner.

 

She was longing for it.

 

She wished Minjoon to get home quickly. She was worried for the child. She resolved herself, she will reprimand him the moment he gets home.

 

 

A few meters from the blue archway, a man and a child stood. The man looked troubled while the child seemed to be restless.

 

Daehyun glanced at the child for a moment, then looked at the door with his arm crossed. Attempting to look indifferent, he spoke.

 

"Go, your mother is waiting."

 

Minjoon stilled his body stiff. He slowly turned his head at his father, staring at him with a blank face. Minjoon looked at the tall man, his eyes narrowing.

 

"Okay."

 

The child faced forward and walked, but not without glancing sideways.

 

Daehyun's shoulder slumped as he saw the child walk. He closed his eyes his hands in a fist, attempting to control his emotions. The thought of Hae Gi made him want to rush forward and embrace her. His urges made him want to come up to the door and talk to her. But he stilled himself. Thinking that It was not yet time.

 

Daehyun turned away as he dragged his feet, planning to go back to his own hell.

 

Suddenly, hurried footsteps sounded behind him. He felt a strong tug on his robe, making him stop his tracks. He looked on his back to see Minjoon. The child looked antsy, with his one eyebrow raised and a frown on his face. It was the child's hand that stopped him, holding on his robe.

 

Daehyun looked at his child with a stony face.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

Both father and son faced each other, seeming to be in a staring contest. Stepping back and forth, like a cat and mouse.

 

With Daehyun not budging, Minjoon sighed loudly, frustration leaking out of the child. He used all his might to turn his father around and push him towards the door.

 

Daehyun unhurriedly let Minjoon push him as he stared confused.

 

"Come on! Walk faster!"

 

Minjoon with his whole body leaning forward, nudged his father forward until they stopped in front of the door.

 

Suddenly, the smell of the heavenly dish wafted their nose. Making both father and son's mouth water.

 

Daehyun stared at the door, then to his child. His eyes widened as he realized what his child intended to do.

 

"Whatever you're planning, I refuse."

 

Once again, Daehyun turned to leave.

 

Minjoon, not willing to let his plans go down the drain, grasped his father's clothes and pulled.

 

"Just this once! I promise It'll be fun!"

 

"No."

 

"Please!"

 

"I said no."

 

Minjoon's feet was slowly skidding through the stone. He did not have enough strength to stop a full grown man. Left with no choice, he decided to shout.

 

"Mama!"

 

Without warning, the door burst open.

 

A woman with cerulean eyes stood in front, her chest heaving. Her hair was up in a bun, and she looked like she cooked with her apron on. Both father and son stopped what they're doing as they stared at the woman.

 

The woman's eyes scanned the child, looking for injuries. Founding nothing but dirt, her eyes turned to the man. She froze and stared with wide eyes. She took a step back and put her hands over her mouth.

 

After a moment, she stepped forward and looked at the man, her eyes moist. She looked like she couldn't believe what was happening. Her hand stretched towards the man, slowly approaching.

 

Daehyun seeing Hae Gi advancing made him panic. He was about to step back until Hae Gi's hands stopped, flinching.

 

Minjoon seeing his parents exchange made him pout, his bottom lip jutting out. He decided to commence his plan. He grabbed each of the two's hands, surprising both of them, and pulled them forward towards the door.

 

Not knowing what else to do, both followed the child inside.

 

The savory smell suddenly intensified, making both father and son's stomach rumble.

 

The Acacia tree stepped into view, countless of lanterns float in the branches, brightening the yard. Daehyun couldn't believe it. It looked beautiful. It made him wander back to his childhood, to the time when he first came here. It honestly made him scared, the huge branches of the Acacia trees under the moonlight looked like a monster, with its impending figure. It's shadow almost stretching to his feet, scaring him to his wit's end. Comparing it to the present, made him dubious if what he was seeing is true.

 

Hae Gi looked at the child, then to the Emperor. She already composed herself a little while ago. Noticing both's stomach rumble, she chuckled.

 

She gently ushered Minjoon to the dining table, signaling him to go eat. Minjoon nodded with a smile on his face as he ran to the table.

 

Hae Gi turned to the Emperor. With a controlled smile, she bowed.

 

"Greetings your majesty, what made you visit today?"

 

She slowly straightened her back as she looked at the Emperor, her smile, albeit little, was still there.

 

Seeing her up close made Daehyun's heart flutter. He tried not to blush as he looked away, pretending to cough.

 

"I-I happened to pass by."

 

Hae Gi looked at the Emperor, It seemed too sudden for him to make his move. She wondered how did he happen to wander in this place. Then Daehyun's stomach growled.

 

Both froze. Especially Daehyun. He opened his mouth only to close it again. He seemed like he was trying to say something, but was unable to. At the moment, he looked like a gaping fish.

 

Hae Gi chuckled, her hands covering her mouth, seeing the sight. Placing her hands in front as she clasped it together, she spoke.

 

"If it's not too troubling for you your majesty, would you like to have dinner?"

 

Daehyun stunned with the request, suddenly smiled. He laughed as he affirmed.

 

"Yes, I do."

 

The two walked towards the table. Minjoon was already sitting in one of the chairs, his chopsticks on his mouth.

 

"Mama, can we please eat now?"

 

Minjoon grumbled.

 

Hae Gi smiled as she nodded. She walked over to the chair, attempting to sit down. She was suddenly stopped by Daehyun as he gently moved the chair backward, ushering her to sit.

 

Hae Gi blushed as she sat down. Her gaze fixed on the plate not attempting to move.

 

Daehyun sat down as he secretly smiled, his eyes crinkled as he looked at Hae Gi blush.

 

Hae Gi blinked as she came to her senses, she reached for the chicken and served both the child and man.

 

As she was putting the dish in each of their plates, Daehyun looked at Minjoon, nodding his head towards the woman.

 

Minjoon nodded, thinking back to what his father said earlier.

 

"Mama, Minjoon had fun today!"

 

Minjoon jumped on his seat with a grin on his face.

 

Hae Gi hummed as she spoke.

 

"Oh really? What happened little Min?"

 

Having finished serving, Minjoon dug in the food. While chewing, he answered.

 

"Teacher made me do-"

 

Hae Gi pointedly stared at Minjoon. Her eyes warning Minjoon.

 

"What did I tell you about talking while eating?"

 

Minjoon's head bowed as he shrunk back, swallowing the food.

 

"Sorry, mama..."

 

Hae Gi laughed as she stared at Minjoon, her gaze gentle.

 

"It's okay little Min, eat lots okay? Now, what were you telling me earlier?"

 

Minjoon grinned as he spoke.

 

"Teacher made Minjoon spin! And then Minjoon met a new friend, his name was Baekho..."

 

Daehyun stared at the two as he ate. Even without eating, he already felt a sense of fullness. On his throne he sat all day, feeling this emptiness in his heart. Even after accomplishing a huge feat for the kingdom, he felt indifferent. Even if he was given riches or gifted bounteous amount of gold, he felt nothing. Even with the presence of the consort, he was hollow. But now, within this cramped space with nothing but a simple table and chairs, no extravagance nor intricacy can be felt, with only the three of them sitting, like one big happy family, he felt tickled. The satisfaction was akin to filling an empty stomach that was deprived and starved.

 

"Then Papa tripped over this rock and..."

 

Daehyun hearing Minjoon badmouth him retaliates.

 

"Stop lying."

 

Minjoon raised his eyebrows with his chin up, his arms crossed.

 

"No, I'm not. Minjoon clearly saw you trip over that rock!"

 

Daehyun's eyes twitched as he heard his son.

 

"Then you are getting blind."

 

Minjoon frowned as he heard his father deny what he said. He looked at his mother and pouted, pointing his finger on Daehyun.

 

"Mama! He's bullying me!"

 

Hae Gi sat with her mouth agape. She did not know what to do. As she heard Minjoon spoke of the Emperor as Papa, she stilled, her expression frightened. When she was about to scold him, both fought for dominance. Suddenly being called by the child, she looked apologetically at the Emperor, indirectly telling him to forgive them of their mistakes.

 

Daehyun humphed as he looked away, focusing his attention on the food in front. Minjoon did the same, both being immersed in the food.

 

After eating, dishes were cleaned and Minjoon was tucked into bed. Hae Gi and Daehyun stood at the doorway, bidding farewell.

 

"Thank you, for today."

 

Daehyun uttered.

 

Hae Gi smiled and bowed her head.

 

"It was our pleasure."

 

As Hae Gi was about to lift her head, Daehyun swiftly held her hand and pulled her closer, encasing her in a tight embrace.

 

Daehyun hugged her like his life depended on it. He inhaled her scent, imprinting it on his mind like it was the last. His eyes were closed as he hugged her closer.

 

Before reluctantly pulling away, he whispered.

 

"Happy Birthday, Hae Gi."

 

Then he withdrew, disappearing into the night.

 

Hae Gi was left in the doorway, her eyes wide, grasping on the object at her hand.

 

She looked at her palms, opening it. Inside was a hairpin with a blue metallic hue etched with gold. The design portraying waves, the color representing her eyes.

 

She was born on February 14th, both in her past and now. At this moment, she felt happy to have lived.

 

Long forgotten was sadness, left by loneliness. Signaling a new day to thrive.

 

Under the moonlight, a sumptuous dinner was served. Stomachs were filled, and at the same time, hearts too.

26