Chapter 13: Il Minjoon
760 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The crackling of wood echoed as the flame engulfs the whole lumber, casting a bright orange glow throughout the small, bricked room.

 

The old man squatted in front of the fireplace holding a long metal rod, slowly grilling the fish. A palatable aroma replaced the once putrid smell while the bait was being cooked, slowly turning brown.

 

The two people sitting around the small table were silent, patiently waiting for the food to be cooked.

 

They had been traveling for almost a day nibbling on snacks, the bumpy road combined with the rough stony trail they've trekked made them hungry. It was high time they had a proper meal.

 

Minutes passed and alas, the fish was already cooked! The old man brought the fish and placed it on a fresh leaf, onto the wooden table. He turned and walked towards the fireplace, getting the covered basket and the wooden plates beside it.

 

After arranging the food and plates, he settled himself on a wooden chair facing the pair. His aged eyes wrinkled as the corner of his lips turned upwards forming a pleasant smile.

 

"Forgive this old man for not doing the dishes. I wasn't able to wash the spoon and fork. For now, eat with your hands."

 

Then the old man started to eat. Using his bare hands, he broke a portion of the steaming fish, putting it on his plate. It was done so naturally that it looked as if the fish had already cooled. Yet it was still freshly cooked, the piping steam obviously rising out of the fish.

 

He opened the basket, rice greeting their eyes. The old man scooped the rice with his hands and ate.

 

Having been used to this, Yoonjae also did the same, both men now eating with their hands.

 

Hae Gi stilled as she looked at them, her eyes blinking, slightly surprised.

 

Yoonjae tensed as he was about to eat a handful of rice. He looked at Hae Gi with his face contorted, his eyebrows furrowed. He closed his mouth as his lips compressed. This was normal for him and his teacher. As men, proper etiquette and poise weren't expected of them. At the same time, he was aware that for women these type of things are crucial. They determine a woman's standing, education, prowess, and beauty, among other things.  These things dictate whether a woman is likable or not.

 

Sadly, eating with bare hands wasn't listed as proper etiquette.

 

This woman was fed using a golden spoon. He was reminded that Hae Gi was once the crown princess of the Il Kingdom. With that thought, Yoonjae became distressed.

 

As Yoonjae was about to stand and look for some clean utensils, Hae Gi used her hands to scoop some rice.

 

The old man suddenly choked, coughing loudly. His eyes watered as he hunched over the side of the table, his shoulder shaking.

 

After a while, the old man cleared his throat. Waving his hand nonchalantly, he continued to eat, as if nothing happened.

 

Together, they all ate in silence.

 

Long forgotten were power, pride, and prestige. In that small round table, everyone was equal and at peace.

 

"Don't forget to leave some for a little bird." the old man Lee Wong mumbled while eating a mouthful of rice.

 

After a while, they've had their fill. Lee Wong and the general leaned their broad backs on the chair with their eyes closed.

 

Hae Gi sat upright, looking straight at the old man, noting his greyish hair.

 

She held her hands tight, her back rigid - her gaze seemingly penetrating through Lee Wong.

 

"What do you think? What is your opinion?", she bravely uttered.

 

With her lips pursed and brows furrowed, she slowly anticipated the words that this old man will say.

 

The words that will change Minjoon's destiny, and hers.

 

Lee Wong did not say anything for a while. He just closed his eyes as he leaned back as if he did not hear anything that she said.

 

Yoonjae's lips pressed into a thin line as he sees the reaction of his teacher. Hae Gi looked at him, her eyes encouraging - telling him to do something.

 

He swiftly looked away and focused on the old man. With a pleading gaze, he tried once again.

 

"Teacher."

 

Lee Wong hummed as he stroked his chin. He looked contemplating something but was not. Yoonjae knew that the moment Lee Wong left the palace, his decision cannot be swayed.

 

Yoonjae reiterated that to the Emperor, Daehyun, but the emperor did not listen.

 

He recalled the conversation they had after Hae Gi left.

 

 

 

"I know."

 

Yoonjae held his sword's handle, facing Daehyun. With just one look, they knew what is on each other's minds.

 

"I will protect her."

 

They are brother in arms after all.

 

Daehyun slouched on his seat as he leaned forward, his head hung. With his hands clenched and slightly trembling, he pulled them over his head.

 

Yoonjae looked at his friend, thinking that the once-steady pillar was slowly crumbling as time passed.

 

They both knew the war that they constantly faced - the war outside the borders, where Yoonjae defends; and the war inside the borders, where Daehyun fights.

 

In this world, one must overcome greed to find peace. The greed that is present in every person. The one that is fueled by a desire for power; seen on those who had tasted this seemingly addicting dish - the officials, nobles, kingdoms who held a considerable amount of authority.

 

These greedy people are exactly who they fought every day. Who they used all their strength-their blood and sweat to defeat, to protect their country and their loved ones.

 

Yet one of them was crumbling, slowly sinking.

 

Daehyun suddenly snapped his head up as he straightened his back. Half-lidded eyes stared blankly at Yoonjae, their rims a bit red. Heavy dark bags displayed underneath his eyes, looking lost.

 

"Yoonjae, persuade him."

 

Yoonjae grasped the hilt of his sword tightly as he slightly moved his head low. He closed his eyes, pursing his lips to keep his emotions at bay.

 

He slowly opened his eyes as he sighed, his breath heavy.

 

"You know yourself that he cannot be persuaded."

 

Yoonjae looked at the dragon pattern hanging on the arches, the golden stitches shimmering as the light hits the fabric.

 

The Emperor displayed a tight-lipped smile as he shook his head.

 

"It won't hurt to try,"

 

"He was once our teacher after all."

 

Both men did not speak, the air stilled with silence. They were both at a loss, struggling on their wit's end.

 

Daehyun closed his eyes for a while. As he opened them, he reached for a pen. Before the tip could touch the paper, his hands paused.

 

"I will bestow upon you two missions - to protect the Empress..."

 

The Emperor's eyes slowly looked up, the sight of the royal banner greeted his eyes.

 

"... and to bring back the country's greatest commander, Lee Wong."

 

Yoonjae bowed his head, his not-so-hopeful eyes not leaving the carpeted floor.

 

"This servant will heed the Emperor's orders."

 

 

No sound nor words were spoken for the next few minutes. The three people silently sat around the table, looking at each other's eyes.

 

The door suddenly burst open.

 

"Grandpa!"

 

A young girl holding a potato sack barged in through the narrow door. Her eyes sparkled brightly as she smiled blissfully.

 

"I-I saw a huugee carriage along the road! And then- and then there was this beautiful lady and she looked at me and smiled!"

 

The girl ran forward, her hair swaying frantically as she trotted towards the old man. Putting down the sack on the table, she grasped the old man's hands and jumped up and down.

 

"Grandpa I think she smiled at me! I was so happy I-"

 

Her voice trailed off as she looked at the two guests across their old wooden table.

 

The girl's voice trembled as her eyes shifted from the two to her grandpa. Her eyes traveled from the gorgeous man to the refined woman. Her eyes suddenly sparkled, recognizing the woman's face.

 

Then her face started turning red as she recalled the words that she spoke earlier. The girl slowly hid behind her grandpa's back as she quietly whispered.

 

"H-hello."

 

Both Yoonjae and Hae Gi smiled at this. The tensed air suddenly became lighter, the light coming in from the open door brightened the whole place.

 

Lee Wong smiled as he chuckled. Then suddenly his face distorted, a frown visible on his face.

 

"Choon Hee, close the door."

 

The girl named Choon Hee suddenly pouted, she trudged towards the door grumbling a sorry.

 

As the girl slowly walked back to the table, Hae Gi noticed that the girl did not have any place to sit. She grasped her skirt as she stood up from the seat. Slowly stepping to the side, she ushered the girl forward.

 

With a smile, she softly spoke.

 

"Come sit and eat. Your grandpa told us to leave some for you."

 

The little girl Choon Hee peeked at the woman, she cast a glance at her grandpa.

 

The old man was again humming, the previous frown now was gone. Glancing at the girl at his side, he firmly nodded.

 

With the approval of her grandpa, she cautiously stepped forward towards the vacant chair.

 

Sitting down, she faced the woman and greeted her with a small genuine smile.

 

Hae Gi couldn't help responding back with her own smile, unconsciously stroking the girl's hair.

 

Then the once shy girl displayed a mirthful grin, her eyes smiling.

 

Lee Wong looked at the scene with a sad smile, full of melancholy. It reminded him of what he always sought to protect, the drive that keeps him going. He clenched his wrinkled fist as he was once again haunted by the past, on what he failed to protect.

 

Yoonjae looked at his teacher with a knowing gaze. He knew the pain that his teacher had gone through. He understood him, because he was there back then.

 

A tale that was long forgotten, along with the cries of blood and gore. Long buried in the past.

 

An hour passed and everything was settled, only the used plates and the basket left on the table.

 

The small girl quickly organized the tableware, preparing it for washing.

 

As Yoonjae was about to carry the plates, Hae Gi suddenly intercepted and carried the plates herself.

 

A hand suddenly grasped Hae Gi's shoulders prompting her to momentarily stop. She turned towards the direction of the hand, facing the General.

 

Yoonjae had a disturbed expression with his lips in a frown.

 

"Your Highness, please let me."

 

She smiled with glow in her cheeks and ignored the plea of the general.

 

"It's just dishes, I won't die from this."

Yoonjae's gaze slowly dropped, stopping at the woman's hands. The white skin riddled with scars and cuts, big red callouses conspicuous on the dainty hands.

 

His outstretched hand fell, hanging limply on his side.

 

The door closed with a soft click as the girl and the woman proceeded to wash the dishes. Her long skirt flowed with her steps as she slowly walked to where the small girl went.

 

The student and the teacher were now left inside the small house.

 

The old man's smile faded. Putting both his hands in front, his eyes became alert,  gleamed with vigilance.

 

"What is it?"

 

Lee Wong's hawk-like gaze pierced through Yoonjae's back. Slowly chuckling, the deep baritone voice rumbled as he leaned back on his chair, his hands folded.

 

"An important matter perhaps,"

 

Yoonjae's once straight back hunched for a second as he let out a deep breath. He faced his teacher, the strongest pillar of the kingdom.

 

Their gazes clashed with intensity, yet blended with a slither of fear. Fear of failure, or maybe, fear of the future.

 

"We cannot contain it."

 

Yoonjae bowed his head, his shoulders tense and fist tightly clenched. Shame wracked his body as he avoided the gaze of his teacher.

 

Lee Wong hummed as he stared into the window.

 

"Why contain it?"

 

The sight of the Empress washing the dishes with the help of a little girl greeted his eyes.

 

"That boy..."

 

He looked at the Empress who was scrubbing the plates with her hair on one side.

 

"... he should learn how to value his prized possessions."

 

Yoonjae shook his head.

 

"He is, he's protecting them both."

 

Lee Wong slowly looked at Yoonjae, his eyes wrinkled looking old.

 

"To value and to protect are different."

 

Chuckling, he looked again at the window.

 

"Tell that foolish boy to visit me sometime."

 

Yoonjae anticipated this, the same sentence, the same tone. Whenever he visited, before he left, his teacher told him this.

 

It took him a while to figure it out, but he knew now what it meant.

 

'I will not go to the palace.'

 

With half-lidded eyes, he stared at his teacher, then saluted.

 

The moon gleamed above the carriage as it carried the heavy hearts of the people inside.

 

Lee Wong looked fixedly on his front, along his side a little girl called Choon Hee who was waving frantically.

 

He stroked his beard as he thought of a name.

 

'What was that child's name again?'

 

He furrowed his eyebrows as he narrowed his eyes at the moon.

 

'Ah!'

 

His face relaxed, the tension subsides.

 

The girl, noticing the silence, looked at her grandpa, tugging his clothes.

 

"Grandpa?"

 

The corner of his lips suddenly lifted forming into a grin. Patting the head of Choon Hee, he proclaimed the name that was once uttered.

 

"Il..."

 

The child of one of his most prized students.

 

"...Minjoon."

Guess what? DOUBLE UPDATE. AND THIS ONE'S EDITED. *Ba-dum-tss~*

I also have a discord server. Check it out. {{https://discord.gg/MqXbksN}}

And~ If you guys ever want to support me and this book; please donate some coffee. {https://ko-fi.com/emeraldstrawberry} *Just so I can have funds for my editor.*

Thank you again my dear reader-nims. I hope to see you guys in the next chapter. Babye~!

18