Chapter 4
81 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“RAAAAGH!” A loud earsplitting scream of anger erupts from within the cave. Inside the leather armored adventurer thrashes through the small stream heading for the small opening in the wall.

“Daria! Wait!” Her companion catches hold of one of her flailing arms stopping her.

“I’m not letting him get away again!” She tries to shake him off, but Ignatz keeps ahold of her. Even when one of her daggers nearly stabs him.

“Calm yourself and think rationally.” Keeping his voice steady, the armored warrior feels the tension in her dissipate, “This is his territory, we don’t what traps there might be in a place neither of us can see in.”

“…” Her arm hangs limply in his grasp as she stares down at the stream, watching the small crustaceans swim by. “…You’re right…”

“But,” She looks up at him with anger burning in her eyes. “I can’t let him escape.”

“I’m not saying you should,” Taking off his helmet to give her a clear view of his face, and the subtle anger in his expression. “I too mourn your brother’s and Isaac’s deaths. But I do not wish to mourn three people in as many days.”

The anger fades from her face as she looks down guiltily, “I’m sorry…”

His face twists into a grimace as if he bit into something sour and bitter. “I also don’t think I like this meek Daria.”

“Asshole.” She scowls at him shoving his shoulder and pushing him back half a step.

“That’s better.” He laughs as he turns towards the back of the cave, not noticing the small brief smile she gave him. “Let’s search the cave, maybe we can find a clue to the demon’s destination.”

Heading into the second chamber Ignatz starts rooting through box of junk, pulling out various empty canisters. Daria on the other hand goes to retrieve her knives and picks up Stolas’ broken spear.

“Hey, Ignatz look at this.” Calling out to her companion as she examines what used to be her knife and a stick. Her armored companion heads over immediately bring a few of the empty cans with him. “Does this look familiar to you?”

“Is that your knife?”

“Yeah…” Looking back at the circle etched into the ground she continues, “I think he’s an enchanter, or at least has some skill as an item forger. We should report this to the guild.”

Looking at the junk in his arms, she raises an eyebrow. “Are you starting a collection?”

“Not hardly,” Showing her the merchant’s mark on the underside, “It appears he’s been raiding some merchants if we’re lucky our revenge could come paired with a reward. Also, I believe we might be able to scry on him using this.”

“Alright, let’s hurry back to town then,” She turns on her heel, walking away at a brusque pace. “If we take any longer then he will definitely get away.”

“At least let me memorize the etching first.”

“Hurry up I’m leaving!” She looks over her shoulder at him from the mouth of the cave. “I don’t want to lose our prey to some cave crawler.”

“Wait! cave crawlers?” Ignatz chases after her pelting her with questions. “How do you know that?”

Deep in the tunnels below the cave, Stolas and Jade stand still, rooted in place by a new looming threat.

Rising from the water a large chitinous beast steps out onto dry land. It’s many, sharp and thin legs scratch against the stone, swaying back and forth it blindly searches for the imp and slime. Large pincers nearly the size of Stolas twitch and clack when ever they brush against something, as long antenna brush and feel along the ground near the duo. Looking up at it the imp can’t help but be reminded of those awful crustaceans from before.

Fighting against that prey like feeling, Stolas wills his body to move. Taking a cautious step back, his bare foot makes a soft slap against the stone.

Twisting its head, the adult cave crawler zeroes in on the source of the sound and moves its large bulk towards the imp.

“Jade, let’s run!” Scooping up his companion the imp takes off down the dark tunnel following the small underground river. Barreling after them the beast lowers its body close to the ground as its many legs become a waving blur. Despite their head start the crawler starts gaining ground.

Thinking quickly Stolas takes a sharp turn and sprints down one of the thinner paths, dodging past stalagmites he and Jade run deeper in. Following closely after them the crawler sticks it head down the path as the rest of its bulk skitters past due t inertia.

The narrowed path proves no obstacle. The crawler simply shoulders past the stalagmites and digging its feet into the wall without slowing.

Crawling up his body, Jade peeks over the imp’s shoulder and gives off a small spray of bubbles. Some pop against the stone, and what few that manage to adhere seem to hve little to no effect on the creature.

“Conserve your energy.” Stolas pushes Jade down towards his torso, discouraging any more bubble attacks.

Their tunnel widens into a small chamber filled with pillars of varying thickness, ranging from the with of his arm to the size of a tree. With just enough room for him to move freely the imp hopes that room can slow down his pursuer enough for him to escape.

Throwing a glance over his shoulder Stolas sees the crawler entering the room. Pre warned by its antennae colliding into pillar the beast rears back coming to a sliding stop. Still focused on his position the crawler attempts to push its bulk through the gaps between the pillars but can’t fit. Getting frustrated it just swings its massive pincers shatters the thickest pillar and plows through the smaller ones.

“Shit!” with that hope dashed Stolas fights his way through the rest of the room towards the next chamber.

*Thud* The large heavy doors of Linum’s only Adventurer’s guild slam shut, the loud noise echoing through out the empty hall alerts the half-asleep attendant. Wiping a bit drool from his face he straightens his appearance quickly and greets Daria and Ignatz as they approach him and the receptionist desk.

“Welcome, how can I help you.” He doesn’t bat an eye at the two arriving so late in the night. It more than common to see adventures wandering in this late, what is strange is their request.

“I am in need of a heavy lance,” Ignantz simply states foregoing the pleasantriesand setting some gold on to the counter, “preferably one with a piercing enchantment.”

And a climbers kit.” Daria leans against the desk setting some of her own gold down. “Some of us need all the help they can get.”

“I do believe I’m starting to miss your earlier meekness…”

She scowls and punches his pauldron, a blow he literally laughs off.

“I’ll be right back.” Quickly ducking into the back, the receptionist to grab what they requested. It took him no time to at all since the room behind him was stocked full of supplies for that very reason. Returning to the desk and the duo’s bickering, the receptionist sets out the necessary paperwork. “Would either of you like a meal and a bath before retiring for tonight?”

“No.” Daria doesn’t say any more simply slinging the small ruck sack over her shoulder and heads towards the door.

“Forgive us for our abruptness,” Ignatz gives the employee an apologetic smile and starts to follow his companion. Stopping midstride the armored man turns back and pulls Stolas’ broken spear from his back setting it on the table with some more gold. “I would also like to have this appraised.”

“Uh, sure…” Ignatz barely waited for a response before following after the already gone Daria, leaving the receptionist to sit there, a little confused by the abrupt interaction. “What’s so important it can’t wait till morning?”

At the other end of the subterranean chamber Stolas splashes through the ankle high pond, desperately seeking an escape. Reaching the end of the chamber the imp only finds a long split, low to the ground where the water flowed through. It was nowhere near big enough to fit him, but it could fit Jade.

Taking glance back at the “forest” of rocky pillars, Stolas takes a deep breath and grabs Jade. He pushes it towards the shallow opening. “I think you’ll be safe if you go through here. Follow the water I think it might lead to the River.”

Behind him he can hear the growing rumble of the crawler smashing the pillars. With more urgency he tries pushing the slime into the crevice, but Jade fights against it.

“Come on jade I’ll be fine,” Lying through gritted teeth he tries forcing it to leave but his hands just sink into its gelatinous body, “You need to get yourself to safety.”

*Suuuu-*

As if taking a large breath Jade’s body swells with air. Lifting up gently it detaches from the wall gently floating towards the ceiling by forming some fin like paddles.

“Wha-?”

*BOOM*

The crawler smashes through the last wall of pillars showering the imp in debris, as stone pellets bounce off Jade’s balloon like body. Sweeping its head back and forth, the beast extends its antennae out searching for any movement. Stolas keeps stalk still afraid that the water at his feet will give away his position. His mind tries desperately to come up with an escape plan.

Glancing up he notices Jade slowly floating above the head of the crawler, despite its attempts at paddling away. Sensing the disturbance in the air one of the crawler’s antenna moves towards the slime. When the long thread like appendage brushes against the slime, the crawler flinches away striking at the slime with its club like pincer.

Reacting quickly Jade releases some its stored air, propelling the slime away from the beast. The incoming pincer misses slamming into the ceiling spreading cracks everywhere, even towards a particularly large stalactite Jade chose to hide behind. Stolas’s relief is short lived as the crawler pursues his companion with wide blind swings. Broken stone flies everywhere as each strike misses hitting the ceiling around the slime.

“Hey!” The imp tries to draw the beast’s attention by shouting and running through the water creating as much noise as he can. When the crawler ignores him Stolas starts picking up the debris around him and pelting it with the fallen stones.

He had the opportunity to escape, but not even considering it he threw away the chance and tried to draw the beast’s attention once more.

Run, throw. Run, throw. Stolas circles around the crawler pestering it, his efforts are largely ignored until he lands a lucky shot striking its antenna. Reeling back and away from the source of the pain, crawler lashes out with a pincer batting an incoming stone out of the air.

“!” The stops mid throw, taking a moment to analyze the reaction. The crawler doesn’t allow him much time, however. Hissing and skittering across the shallow water it bull rushes Stolas, with pincers forward ready to snip him in half. “Oh, shit!”

Running as fast as he can in the opposite direction, the imp heads directly towards the stone pillars. Scrabbling up one of the larger ones Stolas clings to the its slippery surface his claw like nails providing some assistance. Within seconds the crawler reaches him smashing through his pillar. Moments before the impact the imp leaps up and onto the crawler’s back.

This is a bad idea! Repeats over and over in his head as he holds on to the antennae for dear life.

Thrashing around as if in unimaginable agony the beast jerks it body trying to buck the small imp off its back. Dodging snapping pincers by a hair’s breadth, Stolas adjusts his position and pulls on the delicate feelers with all his might. With a sickening sound somewhere between a wet pop and cloth tearing the antennae in his dominant hand pulls free of the socket.

“SKREEEEE!” Its ear-piercing screech of agony echoes throughout the chamber as the beast thrashes nearly dislodging Stolas from its back. Swinging wildly the crawler throws its body upward attempting to dash its assailant against the ceiling.

Moving to avoid a grizzly fate Stolas stumbles and dangles off the beast’s side, still hanging onto its good antenna. From his vantage point next to the large pincers the notices something green has wrapped itself along the joints.

“Jade?” Stolas is only able to get out that one-word question, before a sense of weightlessness hits him. His whole body lifts up for a brief second before swinging wildly as the crawler shakes its head like a dog.

The chitinous antenna slips from his grasp and he is thrown to the ground in a resounding crash. Hitting the stone floor hard, he hears something crunch and feels the breath leave his body. Pain erupts from his side with each haggard gasp.

Looking up just in time Stolas spots the club like pincer plummeting towards him. Rolling to his uninjured side he hears the pincer land with less force than he was expecting.

Above him the crawler swings wildly, spreading yellowish red ooze across the chamber from the where its pincer was previously attached. Trying to make sense of what happened Stolas spots Jade getting thrown through the air, as it half splats half catches itself against one of the stalactites and disappears behind one of them.

In its blind rampage the crawler strikes the ceiling again knocking smaller stalactite loose. Dragging himself to a safer distance Stolas tries to move as quietly as possible, but it is for naught as the crawler zeroes in on him the moment his hand hits the water.

Getting to his feet Stolas barely moves out of the way in time as the beast slams it body down just behind the imp, and shaking the entire chamber rattling the central stalactite above them. No less than a second later does the room erupt into another crash as that very stone structure come loose and fall with a green slimy bubble trailing behind. Piercing its back the stalactite crushes the resilient chitin of the crawler.

Despite his body screaming in pain Stolas rushes forward picking up the severed pincer and seizes the opportunity before him. Swinging with all his might the imp slams the impromptu mace down on the stalactite driving it further into the beast’s body. The crawler squirms and spasms in place, its flailing pincer swings out catching Stolas in the stomach knocking him back. Landing in a heap the imp looks up and spots the green slime ooze its way down the stone spike and past the chitin of the crawler.

“SKREEE!” once more the crawler shrieks, and thrashes. Its body flopping over and spasming, trying to dislodge the foreign objects from its body. Over and over again the beast slams its head against the floor, cracking it under the might of its remaining pincer.

A disgusting burbling noise erupts from the belly of the crawler, with a mighty spasm the top half of it separates from the rest. Its upper portions twitch a final time before curling in on itself to for a broken loop.

Unable to move from the spot Stolas watches closely as he notices some movement. Poking a slimy green appendage into view, a fat and happy looking Jade bounces atop the dead crawler.

“That’s… good job… Jade…” With all the fear and adrenaline leaving his body Stolas falls back taking a moment to breathe.

*Splash*

Dropping from a rope into the small pool below, Daria enters the initial chamber where Stolas encountered the cave crawler. After a short swim to solid land she drops to her knees examining the crawler’s tracks.

*Sploosh*

Choosing to forgo the rope Ignatz drops heavily into pool of water creating a spray of water soaking his companion where she stood.

“…Seriously?” The glare she gave him could curdle milk.

“What?” The armored man shrugged reaching the shore with minimal difficulty. “I highly doubt that flimsy rock could have supported my weight.”

“…Whatever.” With a sigh she turns back to the tracks, “I was right about the cave crawler.”

“So, is it dead already?” Ignatz picked up a stone and spoke a magical command causing the stone to light up like a beacon. “Here.”

“Doesn’t look like it.” Daria takes the light source without looking, staying focused on the tracks. “Well, at least we know where they went.”

“And where is that?”

“Through the only other path available.” She starts following the tracks and looking up every now and again watching for any danger.

“Of course,” Ignatz falls into step behind her, trying his best to minimize the clanging of his armor.

They proceed in silence for a while, feeling the tension rise. While she could find plenty of tracks from the crawler, the stone floor of the cave system provided no evidence of the imp. Daria could feel her stress and doubt building because of the fact.

Coming up to the pillar forest chamber, Daria looked around at the destruction. “I think this is where it cornered our imp.”

“Clearly,” It was Ignatz turn to be snarky. Moving past her he drew the heavy lance off his back in case the crawler was still around.

Surveying the destruction, the armored man cautiously picked his way through the rubble towards the other end of the chamber. A small chant under his breath caused his eyes to glow, simple ward preemptively alerting him to incoming danger to him or Daria. Stepping past the stone pillars he gets a clear view of the other end.

“How…?” So, surprised by the sight of the dead crawler Ignatz drops his guard and just stares.

“What is it?” Joining her companion, Daria is likewise stunned for a moment before running up to the carcass. “Where is the upper half?”

“Do you think the imp did this?” Coming over to her side Ignatz can’t help but stare at what is left of the beast. Looking around he doesn’t see the head and pincers anywhere. “How could an imp take on a crawler?”

“With magic and ingenuity.” Daria points over to spot a few feet away. Etched into the ground is another magic circle just under the water level.

“Do you have any clue where he is now?”

“…No,” Her expression grows weary, “…We… should head back to town and try your scrying idea.”

As the two adventures stare at the circle and crawler, a shadow quietly limps away disappearing down the tunnels.

1