Chapter 9
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tension creeps up Stolas’ spine. Climbing down the wall he and Ansel keep an eye out for patrolling guards. Landing softly next to the barracks the trio sidle up to one of the windows, and peer in spotting a group of goblins huddle around in a circle rolling bones cut into dice. Perking up their ears they can hear the group talking in their native language.

“Can you understand them?” While the goblin languages were an off shoot of general demonic, they evolved into radically different languages with only a few words in common. He could only infer that they seemed excited about something, so he can only turn to Ansel.

“Bits and pieces,” Pressing her ear against the wood of the structure she closes her eyes. “They seem to be talking about the merchants… and something about a mine…”

“Doesn’t seem useful, we should- Hold on…” She stops herself mid-sentence, the silence stretches out as Stolas waits for Ansel to continue. Pulling herself away from the window she gives a quick summary. “So, it seems that the mage is staying in the keep, on one of the upper floors. But from the sounds of it, it seems that he was given some high rank warrior’s room.”

“Bet that warrior wasn’t too happy about that.”

“That’s beside the point.”

“Did they mention where the pendent is?”

“No but, I really doubt underlings like them would know something like that. Especially if that trinket is as important as it seems.”

“You never know.” Stolas just shrugs.

“…” Rubbing her temple, she decides to drop the subject.

“Back to our main problem,” The imp peers out from the corner of the wooden building towards the keep, and the large number of warriors surrounding it. “There’s a lot of goblins and orcs over there.”

“Yeah, apparently they’re preparing a feast to welcome the mage.” Poking her head out next to his, the wolf girl squints up at the fortress. “We might have a chance to slip in, grab the missing jewelry and leave without being seen while they’re busy.”

“We also have a chance to sneak away and report back. I’m sure if miss Lenore just nicely he’ll hand it over. After all its her problem not ours.” Stolas turns to wall again but Ansel is too quick and grabs him by the arm.

“It’s our problem now, remember the big scary orc? He was this close to killing you.” She holds her hand up in his face with her fingers nearly touching.

“Okay, okay I get your point.” Swatting her hand away Stolas looks back up at the black iron and stone keep. “Besides, I think he was a half-orc.”

“Focus.” The word hisses out of her mouth with a sigh. “We need to figure out a way inside.”

“I know, I know…” Turning his eyes skyward he comments, “I don’t think the grappling trick will work.”

“Yeah, too many guards.”

“Can we disguise ourselves and pose as guards?” Stolas looks towards front of the open keep and the mass of warriors milling about.

“How, they’re all goblins and orcs. We’ll be spotted immediately.” She shakes her head, “You could with some green paint, but I couldn’t possibly with my ears.”

“Then how about a side entrance?”

“Maybe, did you see one?”

“Yeah,” Nodding emphatically, the imp points towards the back of the fortress, “I saw some guards unloading the carriages back there. I think I saw some of them carry food into the keep back there.”

“Alright then let’s check it out.” Leading them from hiding spot to hiding spot Ansel heads towards back of the stone and iron keep keeping close to the wall, dodging a few distracted patrols the trio quickly approaches the store house in the back.

Getting a clear view of the location Stolas and Ansel stick their head out from behind a couple crates set off to the side, presumably to make room. About three or so goblins pace back and forth, ferrying good and products from carriages to the storehouse and foodstuffs to the castle.

With a finger to her lips, the wolf girl silently tells her two companions to follow close. Silencing her steps, Ansel follows the one guard heading into the castle picking up a small rock as she goes.

Inside the group find themselves in a large busy kitchen, and the guard they tailed dropping off his load of food on a crowded table. Before he can turn around and spot the imp and slime Ansel chucks the small at one of the jars on the table sending it crashing to the floor.

*Crash*

“Hey! The hell do think you’re doing?!” One of the nearby cooks turns around berating the guard as he looks dumbfounded at the smashed glass.

“Eh? That wasn’t me! Damn thing fell on its own!”

“I don’t care clean it up!”

Leaving the goblins to argue the trio rush up the only exit available, a set of stairs leading to the next floor.

Entering the second floor Ansel, Stolas, and Jade emerge into a large open area. Doors line the righthand wall up to where the path end in ninety-degree turn. On the trio’s left the bare stone floor extends towards the entrance hall fenced off by a wooden railing. Voices could be heard from below.

Quietly Ansel approaches railing. Glancing back at Stolas the wolf girl whispers, “Keep a look out.”

Ansel sticks an ear above railing, keeping her body low and out of sight as much as possible while still trying to eavesdrop on the pair of orc guards. 

“Hey, do you know where the boss went?”

“I think he’s in the throne room. Why?”

“That blasted mage won’t stop hounding me.”

“What does he want?”

“No idea. You know how mages are. So secretive all the time.”

“Where’s the bastard now?”

“I don’t know he dropped something off in his room then left.”

“…”

“…”

“Are you going to go tell the boss Idaghast wants him?”

“Hell no, I’ll get one of the goblins to do it.”

Pulling back from the railing Ansel motions for the other two to follow as she heads toward the doors on the opposite side. “We’re in luck it sounds like the mage isn’t in his room, but it sounds like the pendant is though.”

“Okay, but where’s his room?”

“Only one way to find out.” With a shrug Ansel approaches one of the doors and peers in, finding an empty room.

“Here, let me lead. My sight might help with this.” Examining the flow of mana Stolas takes a quick glance at all the door in this section of the hallway. “His room is probably going to be warded.”

Finding no trace of magic on any of the doors he heads around the corner into another series of doors. Following behind the wolf girl raises a concern, “And if it’s not?”

“We’ll just have to open them all one by one.”

“I’m starting to second guess this whole operation…” Ansel heaves a weary sigh.

“But it was your idea in the first place.”

“I know…”

“Well next time-” Cutting himself off, Stolas notices a strange flow in the mana near one of the doors at the end of the corridor. “I think I found it.”

“Well, then let’s go search it already”

“Hey!” An agitated voice erupts from behind, as quick impatient footsteps announce the arrival of a man dressed in dirty robes, holding a sack over his shoulder. “You two, or three whatever.”

“Y-yes.” Stiffly Stolas turns towards the man, “Can I help you?”

The very person he was sent to find unexpectedly shows up and glares at him, causing the imp’s brain overloaded with thoughts swirling around. What does he want? Does he have the pendant? Are they caught? Can they get away?

“Where is Shakar? I mean Lord Shakar.”

“Uhh…, He’s…”

“I heard someone say he’s in the throne room.” Jumping in to help Stolas, Ansel vaguely points upward making a guess.

“Tsk, I just checked up there.” Turning his glare towards the ceiling his scowl deepens. Before Either Stolas or Ansel can open their mouths to say something he mutters, “Fine, I’ll go check again. Take this to my room, and when you’re done go get the rest near the gate.”

Removing the sack from his shoulder he shoves it Stolas’ face. The sack squishes in the imp’s hands, shifting the opening slightly releases a thick stench of blood. “Of course, …right away…”

The mage ignores the rest of what they have to say and walks past, with a wave of his hand the ward in front of the door dissipates.

Watching the mage’s back disappear down the hallway Stolas and Ansel share brief glance, before the wolf girl opens her mouth. “I think he mistook you for a goblin.”

“I feel like I should be offended…”

“Well, suck it up.” She simply shrugs and head for the door, “We don’t want to hang around too long.”

Ascending the stairs, Idaghast suddenly stops mid step. “Wait, he had blue horns…”

*Creak* The door to the mage’s room gives some resistance as the trio enters. Looking around it becomes apparent that Idaghast only just moved into the room. Several long empty tables are pressed up against the walls, with only one close to the door holding a large lumpy sack. A large bed and dresser sit under a large open window at the other end of the room. Some scattered personal items sit on the top of the dresser while a change of clothes are carelessly strewn on the bed.

Dropping the mystery sack, the mage gave next to the larger one Stolas and Ansel spread out searching the rest of the room. Maybe my mana sight will help?

Activating the ability Stolas is immediately overwhelmed by the sheer amount of conflicting manas circulating around the room and radiating from the various items.

“Sheesh…”

“What?”

“This guy has to be the most disorganized mage I have ever seen…” Looking around at the largely undisturbed room, Ansel just raises an eyebrow at the imp, “He’s got all these magic items jumbled together with their mana leaking everywhere. I’m surprised nothing has exploded yet.”

“Exploded? They won’t really explode, will they?” The wolf girl takes a step back from large sack, even Jade poked its “head” over his shoulder out of concern.

“Probably not, just don’t disturb it too much.”

With a nod Ansel cautiously opens the drawstring on the cloth container as far back from it as possible. Stolas continues to try and make sense of the cacophony of manas looking for one associated with vampires. The pendant is magical, right? Why else would a mage be interested in it?

“Ugh,” Ansel pulls her head back making strange huffing noise like something went up her nose.

“You okay?”

“Yeaogh…” Pinching the sensitive organ shut she holds up a rather plain necklace with sing red bead hanging from it. “I dink I fond it.”

Handing it over to Stolas, she shakes her head and sneezes. “Ugh, that thing reeks of dust, …and blood.”

“Yeah, I think it is what we’re looking for.” Looking at the jewelry closely the imp notices a dark shade of mana slowly ebbing from the center of the bead. “It has the same mana as the vampire.”

“It smells like her too.”

“Alright let’s get out of here.” With the pendant still in his hands Stolas and Ansel make their way towards the door. Jade crawls its way over his shoulder extending a tendril towards the small red bead.

*Creak*

Stopping them in their tracks the door opens revealing the mage standing beyond the threshold.

“What do you think you’re doing with that?” His eyes furrow into a half glare as his gaze focuses on the pendant. “Hand it over.”

Idaghast juts out his hand palm facing upwards at Stolas. Thanks to his still active vision the imp can see mana begin to flow around the mage condensing in his other hand. Reacting without much thought Stolas shoves the pendant into the slime’s body and rushes towards the window chucking Jade outside.

“Go quickly, we’ll meet you outside walls!”

Flying through the air Jade swells and obediently floats it way out of camp, just as an orange flash lights up the room.

*Whoosh*

“Aaaah!” Ansel screams out in pain. Turning around the imp barely dodges as a second gout of flame scorches the wall next to him. A third ball of fire dances in Idaghast’s hand, leaving little time to think the mage aims at Stolas’ new position. Quickly acting the imp rushes him with his spear drawn, falling for the feint the mage scorches the ground in front as Stolas side steps around him.

Dividing Idaghast’s attention Stolas whips around and stabs at the mage’s exposed back, making an opening for Ansel to rush past. The spear scrapes harmlessly against a mana constructed shield protecting the mage’s vulnerable back, but his goal was accomplished. Ansel and Stolas rush out of the room scurrying down the hallway towards the exit.

“GUARDS!” Idaghast’s magically enhanced voice vibrates through the very stones.

Rounding the corner Stolas skids to a stop. The pair of orc guards from below rush out from the stairs with swords drawn and locking eyes with the imp and wolf girl.

“Lay down you weapons!” The two bump into each other as they both try to enter through the narrow opening.

“Shit,” Stolas softly swears, pulling the earth core from inside his tunic he presses it against his spear and starts circulating the mana from within.

“What are you doing?” Without sparing her companion a glance, looking back over her shoulder towards the mage and finds him just stepping out the room with fire dancing in his hands.

“Just give me a second!” Keeping his reply short and clipped, Stolas focuses on the spear as Ansel hurls a dagger at the mage preventing him from raining fire down on them.

The earth core melts and flows from his hand absorbing into the material of his spear. Rust disappears as the head of the spear grows. While the appearance didn’t change much it felt different, almost like it didn’t want to move much.

Stolas didn’t get a chance to examine it since the orc guards were quickly closing the distance between them. The mage on the other hand stopped altogether with a shocked look on his face.

Relying on an old tactic the imp inhales deeply and expels an obscuring screen of mist. Both he and Ansel dash forward into the surprised guards. Ansel rushes low to the ground darting past one’s legs leaving a long bloody slash across his calf. While the imp lunges forward with a stab to the chest. The second orc manages to react in time bringing his sword up to deflect it. Despite his superior strength the spear doesn’t budge and continues along its path planting the dark iron point deep into his muscle.

Both imp and orc are equally surprised, before the first orc can act Stolas rips the point out of the orcs body in a horizontal swing. The stabbed guard stumbles and crashes into his companion as the imp flees after Ansel. Sprinting down the stairs they barely avoid tumbling the rest of the way and spill out into the kitchen knocking over curious goblins.

Ignoring the confused kitchen staff, the duo rushes out the door knocking over supplies and material in their path. They don’t stop until they reach the nearest wall. Without much time to think the imp plants his feet firmly on the ground throws his newly enhanced spear at the wall about halfway up.

Watching it sink into the stone Ansel can’t help but say something. “What did you do to your spear?”

“I’ll explain later,” Getting ready to jump up and grab it Stolas continues, “For now let’s-”

*Boom*

His whole world turns white for an instant as an immensely hot force burns through him from above, leaving electric arcs dancing across his body. He staggers barely aware of Ansel voice and the figure of Idaghast approaching.

*Whoosh*

Burning streaks of fire impact directly into his and Ansel’s chest sending them flying. His consciousness fades as his head cracks against the wall.

Idaghast stands above the barely breathing bodies of the imp and wolf girl. With a single foot he turns the imps head examining his horns. A circle of goblins begins to form around him, most of which are craning their neck curious about the intruders.

Useless fools, if Shakar actually spent time training his forces instead of indulging himself on wine this wouldn’t have happened. Internally he fumed angry that the weird slime creature got away with his bargaining chip. But those flames were tempered by curiosity he felt toward the imp and his spear. Although, maybe this isn’t that big of a loss.

Singling out one of the goblins in the crowd he commands, “Go tell Shakar I captured two intruders.”

“Do it yourself, you can’t order me around!” The goblin scowls spitting the words out. The others around him echo his sentiment.

*Boom*

A second bolt of lightning descends and scorches the ground in front of the bold goblin scattering the others as he stands in place petrified.

“Go tell Shakar I captured two intruders.” Idaghast glowers at them, with electricity arcing along his fingers. His eyes turn back to the prone figures of Stolas and Ansel. “Tell him he can do whatever he wants with the werewolf, but I want the imp.”

The goblins nervously glance around at each other, none wanting to be the messenger.

Leaving it up to them to decide Idaghast focuses on the spear once more, pulling it from the wall a smile creeps onto his lips. “Interesting…”

0