Chapter 7: Meeting the Retainer and Sending Rescue (1)
99 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex felt a tug on his sleeve and looked back. Nekya looked at him with a frown and squinted.

“What?” he asked with a  

“Can you understand him too?” Nekya whispered. 

Alex looked back the old catfolk standing before him and nodded. The elderly catman clearly did speak in Ishra. This was the only catman that understoof their language. Alex inspected the elderly catman before him with knitted brows.

Either this catman would be their savior, or he was with the assailants in the marketplace. No one would take the effort to learn a new language without any endgoal!    

The Ishra-speaking catman didn't look like a threat. Walking stick in hand, and clearly in declining physical health. Even simulacrum-Nekya would be able to take him down. But he was clearly respected in the shantytown.

Besides, there wasnt any way he could being a 'believer of the Faith of Nekya'. He was human after all.

The catfolk in the shantytown were definately not fond of the Nekyans, and the only way to get out unharmed was to pin his hopes on the old-catfolk.

Alex took a breath a walked forward. He gestured Lieutenant Venessa with and open palm. He gave a slight bow and said, “Yes sir. My companions and I just arrived at the city. We were making our way to the castle when we lost our way.”

The elderly catfolk nodded slowly stroking his fur-less head. 

"Yes, yes. I, curious what esteemed traveller would say. Truth or no truth," he spoke in broken Ishra with a smile on his creased lips. "We believe in Mehuj, our Royals. Not space goddess. But we not beasts. You go peaceful. No one attacks”

The catman gestured to the crowd and nodded. 

Alex met the old man’s gaze and nodded a thanks. 

Turning to Lieutenant Venessa and Nekya, He added, “Keep your guards up! Let's hurry out of here.”

As soon as the three of them started walking, the catfolk started agitating again, angered that the Nekya-worshipping aliens were getting away!

“Walk je,” the old catfolk’s spoke, bringing the staff to the ground with a loud bang and started speaking, “…Nekya…

Alex kept walking. He couldn’t understand a word spoken in their local language.

But no one attacked. They quickly passed through the archway. As soon as they crossed, the three of them dashed to the closest deserted alleyway and stopped.

Alex’s heart was racing! He felt like screaming!

“Who was that? That old cat spoke Ishra!” Lieutenant Venessa said with furrowed brows. She kept an eye out as well.

Large mansions with protective walls rose before them. The roads were bricked and broad enough for two carriages to pass beside each other. Just beyond that the looming walls stood tall!

“I-I don’t know!” Nekya hung her head embarrassed, “But Devin should know!”

Alex felt his lips twitch. There was a lot of question the retainer, Devin, had to answer.

“No more sneaking around Lieutenant. We run to the castle,” he spoke.

“No-”

“I’m going. Nekya and you can stay here if you want. Don’t try to order me here,” Alex shot Lieutenant Venessa down.

There was no way Lieutenant Venessa could protect them if another mob surrounded them again. The next time they might not be this lucky!

He quickly darted from behind the wall and started running.

The streets were empty. He was hoping any catfolk that saw him right now, will be startled enough for him to escape unharmed.

“Wait!” Lietenant Venessa voice reached him. He looked back to see the two women racing after him as well. Neither of them looked happy about it though.

Alex slowed down and let them catch up to him. He kept his eye peeled for even the slightlest of movement. But there wasn’t a single soul anywhere around.

“Which way now?” he spoke, looking in both directions.

The looming wall was before them but he had no idea where the gate to the castle was.

“It should be to the right,” Lieutenant Venessa replied.

Sure enough a little while later, the large castle door appeared before them with two towers standing guard on either side. A broad wooden platform led up to the double gates that barred the castle keep inside.

Alex stopped before the castle gates.

“The cats might have already taken it. This is too quiet sir,” Lieutenant Venessa said.

There wasn’t anyone visible from outside, no sentries, no guards or anything. It was a surprise that no one had even stopped them all this while!

“De-Devin must be in there,” Nekya spoke, her face white. “Please, otherwise the city is lost!”

Lieutenant Venessa kept looking forward silently. But the frown on the combat-mage’s face betrayed her.  

Alex shook his head, “There aren’t any signs of a fight. If the catfolk had the castle wouldn’t they be celebrating?”

“That… could be true,” Lieutenant Venessa conceded.

Alex took a deep breath and prayed screamed at the top of his lungs, “Nekya Clayhall is here! Open the gates!”

But nothing happened.

“Devin, open the gates!” Nekya joined in as well.

Suddenly, a dark figure appeared on top of the wall, peering down. “Lady Nekya, is it really you?”

“Oh thank god,” Nekya let out a breath of air. A smile appeared on her face as she replied, “Ofcourse its me. Quick, open the gates and let us in!”

***

 

Keeping up the daily release!:o

Hope you enjoy the chapter.
 
Please favorite, rate and review! If you have any feedback/ suggestions please let me know.

 

(p.s.If you want to know something about the world that you cant find, let me know. I'll scour the Libraries and try to find any information there is on it!  It could be in the next post-chapter exceprt)

2