Chapter 11 – Scouting
483 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Note: This chapter is not edited. Sorry for the delay.

- Chapter 11 - Scouting -

◇ ◇ ◇

"Captain, damage assessment reports have been generated. It isn't as bad as we thought. We can patch them up by just using the passive output of our reactors."

"Really? We don't need to spend more manarium? That's good to hear."

The relieved pilot and the cat-eared operator were sorting out the logistics of the colossal starship after the hostile encounter. Damaged components were being repaired at different priorities as there was a limit on energy supply.

The overloaded shield generators were brought online within hours, and the pain in Syntia's abdomen subsided as <Synthesis> gradually fixed itself. Ares tried his best to soothe his partner by hugging and caressing the aching places, although they were imaginary. That lasted for half a day until both of them fell asleep.

"The biological signal source… How is it?"

"For now, the readings are still stable. We are unable to determine the species of the lifeform, though. It did not match any entry in our database."

"How about the enemies we fought earlier?"

"Even if the mana signatures they possess were minuscule, we can determine that… Well, the same as your kind, Captain."

Ares nodded his head in response. The inhabitants of this galaxy shared the same language as him, so he would expect that to happen too.

"I think… I'll pay the <Atlas> a visit. I have some things that I need to confirm."

"That carries a high risk, Captain. It's unsure if the lifeform is docile. We have drones for that purpose. But if you insist, you can wait for after the scouting process."

"Fine. I'll go with your suggestion."

Syntia entered commands into her console and ordered the assembly and deployment of reconnaissance drones. These floating spheres, the size of a basketball, would act as remote eyes to investigate the cabin of the heavily damaged starship that was stored in <Synthesis's> hangar.

"It'll take about thirty minutes to complete the assembly of two <Evil Eye> drones.'"

"That's some awful naming sense… Oh well, there's nothing to do for now. Hmm… those torpedoes that immediately brought down part of our shields. What do you think are they?"

The starship pilot remembered that in the game he played, modifications could be made to torpedoes such that they could directly damage an opponent's shield generator to cause critical malfunctions.

He once laughed at such an idea with the remark, "Who would get hit by that sluggish thing? Also, point defense turrets exist!" That bit him in the ass when reality struck. If <Synthesis> wasn't equipped with multiple shield generators, it would be a tragedy.

"From the recorded readings and post-mortem examinations, it probably carried a manarium warhead. The mechanism isn't known, but the piece of manarium was overloaded to release a burst of energy."

"And that caused damage to the shield generators?"

"Yes. Our shields, particularly the outer layer, were intended to defend against all kinds of physical damage at a low cost. However, against mana, it doesn't fair well."

Ares immediately understood what his partner meant. He was a little surprised that more fantasy game terms had applied to the reality he was in.

After further probing into the matter, he concluded that the first layer of <Synthesis>'s energy shield had high physical resistance but was vulnerable to mana attacks. The second layer was engineered against both physical and "magical" damage but came with a tremendously high deployment cost.

"That means, we need to be extremely cautious since it's confirmed that mana weaponry exists in this galaxy's arsenal."

"Affirmative, Captain."

While waiting for the recon drones to enter their operational phase, Ares watched the video feed from the hangar compartment's surveillance cameras, albeit at limited angles, and carefully inspected the damaged human starship's exterior design.

"The more I look at it, the more it represents the 'space pancake'… No, the <Anser Mk. II>."

"What's that?"

"In-game, it was a multirole spaceship best used for hauling, though its combat abilities were promising too. It used a small landing pad, although its performance was akin to a medium-sized ship. The shape, yeah, even the cockpit and hardpoint placements were the same as this <Atlas> we're looking at, as far as I can remember."

"Does that mean…"

"Well, I've suspected it for long. The game I once played is definitely a simulation of the real world— this galaxy we're in. I have no idea how did the game's creator manage to obtain the references, but here we are."

There were too many coincidences between the game world and the real world. But Ares knew that in his homeworld, no one had ever ventured into space. Not even in the past when people didn't need to shelter under the Arc Cities' barrier.

High up in the sky, an invisible shell prevented anything from leaving. There were ambitious ones that aimed for the lone blue star, but their plans were all thwarted when the rockets they sent out crashed on the "wall."

"Captain, the <Evil Eyes> are ready. One for each of us. Please use the virtual reality headset stored beneath the seat to enable telepresence control."

"Alright, let's roll it out."

With his vision tethered to the floating drone's camera, Ares controlled his <Evil Eye> with the same control sticks that he used to steer the starship.

The drones were deployed straight into the hangar compartment, where <Atlas> was stored. Ares took quite some time to get used to the controls as the robot was nimbler than anything he had ever piloted. Strangely, the drones, including the food-serving drone he was familiar with, seemed to defy gravity despite the lack of visible propulsion.

"Syntia, I'll pay the cockpit a visit. You try to get into the cargo bay. I believe it's clearly labeled, located under the ship. If it doesn't budge, try to find the entrance. The hatch door doubled as stairs if I remember correctly."

"Roger that, Captain."

The drone Ares piloted through telepresence flew through the broken canopy of the <Atlas>. The cold body of the ship's captain was still slumped on the seat, holding to the stick and throttle tight, with seatbelts strapped on.

Even after the turmoil <Synthesis> has gone through, the hangar compartment wasn't affected as Ares made sure that the inertia dampening system was functioning at full capabilities there. The salvaged ship wasn't clamped on the "landing pad" and would be thrown around otherwise.

"As expected, the cockpit layout is exactly the same as the <Anser Mk. II> in-game. Even the placement of the coffee machine and cup holder is no different."

Ares deployed the drone's gimbal arms and tried to push a specific button combination he remembered to boot the ship's systems. There was no response.

Either the control panel was damaged, or the onboard computer was utterly fried. Or perhaps, the internal batteries had run dry. From the locations of the bullet holes on the ship's hull, the powerplant was sure wrecked. That also explained why there were no lights at all.

It was a little disappointing, but Ares had expected that to happen. It was already a miracle that the ship didn't self-destruct following the confirmed death of the pilot.

They had probably been killed in action, as evident from the visible gaping holes in their chest. Bullets had penetrated through the seat and even punctured the floor behind. That lightened Ares's mental burden a little, knowing that the fate of <Atlas>'s pilot was decided on the moment the canopy has been breached.

He thought of removing the pilot's opaque face mask but turned down the idea as soon as he realized that knowing the looks of the pilot didn't help in his case. It might also be mentally disturbing, if the final moment of the unfortunate soul was captured in their solidified expression.

— Rest in peace, unnamed captain.

Ares could only silently mourn for the fallen peer and wish them a safe trip to the afterlife. If the afterlife even existed in this realm, of course, because it sure didn't in his homeworld.

"Syntia, I'm done with my side. How about there?"

"Um, sorry, Captain. I've located the cargo hatch, but it's sealed shut. The <Evil Eye> isn't equipped with weapons so blowing it open is negative. I'm now trying to gain access to the entrance you've mentioned."

"It's okay. I think I'll just access the cabin from the cockpit door. It might be easier than trying to break in from outside."

Ares attempted to pry the cockpit door open with the drone's arms. Since power was unavailable, the lock couldn't be automatically disengaged through the dashboard controls. Fortunately, there was a valve wheel that allowed for manual unlocking.

"Alright, just a few more turns, and— Great, I hear the 'clink.'"

The floating <Evil Eye>'s robotic arms pulled the unlocked hatch door's handle, revealing a narrow pathway to the cabin. White smoke gushed out as the surrounding temperature in the cabin was significantly lower than the outside world. It obstructed Ares's vision and caused him to lost control of the drone for a short while, bumping into the walls of the corridor.

"Ugh, damn, the camera is fogged. Too bad I can't wipe it off with a piece of cloth. Hows the progress there, Syntia?"

"I've found the location of the entrance door. Now standing by and waiting for further instruction."

"Alright. Now, I'll try to— Wait, what the fuck? Telepresence has gone offline!"

Ares heard a loud bang followed by sounds of cracked glass. Then, the headset's screen turned pitch black, followed by warning messages stating that connection to the drone was lost.

He yanked the headset off and turned backward. Syntia that didn't need a headset to engage in telepresence looked at him with a serious expression.

"System reports that Unit 1 was destroyed by a solid projectile. Although we still can't locate the lifeform, they might be armed and hostile."

"Holy shit, you're right with using drones to scout first!"

"Captain, did you see the assailant's appearance?"

"The drone's camera was fogged and showed only shades of white. Before the layer of condensation fades, the drone is already gone."

"Let me check the records from the wall-mounted cameras… Nope, we could only identify pieces of the drone ejected from the projectile impact from within the cockpit door from the best angle. I think I'll check it with the drone under my control."

Ares silently watched as Syntia gazed into the void while she mentally controlled the <Evil Eye>. Since her mind was partially linked to the systems, she could perform more precise controls with the ship's equipment.

A few minutes later, she arched her back and stood up as if a jolt had run down her spine.

"Captain, Unit 2 is now down. The good news is, I've managed to film a brief shot of the lifeform."

"Hmm, let's see… Duh, the fog is still a problem. At least we can see the outline of the figure. It looks like a child. Probably shorter than you, Syntia."

"We've confirmed that the weapon is a conventional handgun. I've diverted some energy to strengthen the compartment's barrier. That will negate damage should the subject open fire at the bulkheads."

Ares respected the decision. <Synthesis>'s internal compartments could be seen as Syntia's gut. It would bring only harm to the avatar if they allow an enemy to rampage from within the ship's insides.

"So, what do we do next? Send in combat drones to subdue the target?"

"Negative, Captain. We don't have enough resources for that. It won't be an optimal solution, too. We'll head down there to greet the 'guest' ourselves."

"Isn't that dangerous? You've mentioned that earlier, I believe."

"Rest assured, Captain. The scouting phase is over. We're confident that we can handle that troubling subject. In the worst-case scenario, the wall-mounted defense turrets would prove their worth."

"I'll trust you on this matter. Let's begin with the preparations."

Ares hoped that the situation would not escalate to the point of no return where they were forced to put down the opponent. They were in dire need of information, after all.

◇ ◇ ◇

Got a Federal Corvette! Time to toast some anchovies with huge beam lasers! Will <Synthesis> have huge beam lasers? Who knows! Next chapter: 1 July 2020 (Wednesday) (Or maybe one day later if I am stuck in an unstoppable grindfest in Elite:Dangerous).

13