Chapter 5: The Power of Perception
114 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shortly after Akira had left, I began to walk home. What I felt like doing to the girls who had done this to her was something that I was honestly frightened of. The ability I had been given by the management company could allow me to kill them off by just making them think they should jump in front of the nearest car. That is what I wanted to do. However right before I made the decision to do so I realized that with this new ability, resorting to that option would mean to give up on the situation. If I had done something like that this time, there would be a next time. Then a time after that. Soon enough I would resort to solving issues by just killing people off rather than solving the base problem.

This is a skill that many leaders have tried and failed to master. One that if I neglected, could easily lead to the downfall of this city.

So I chose to wait for now and follow a lonely girl back to her aging home. Walking up the metal stairway in front of the apartments, I saw her soaked shoes put out to dry by her door. The trash that had stuck to them had been cleaned away, so she had likely washed them in water somewhere on her way home.

I walked towards the partially open door that led to the room she allowed me to stay in, and as I reached for the handle, I heard the sound of a door being unlocked and opened.

I turned my head towards the sound of the opening door and saw Akira, still in her school uniform.

“I thought you had left… you got a new suit?”

“Wha-? Un, ya. An old friend lent it to me for the time being.”

Not exactly a lie. He is old. I could also argue that he is my oldest friend here as well.

“Ah… That’s good. Will you be leaving again soon?”

“No, if it’s alright with you, I would like to stay here in this room for a few days longer.”

“It’s ok with me, it’s not like anybody cared about that room anyways.”

An awkward silence formed between us as she continues to stare out her doorway at me. I was unsure as to how I should address the situation. On one hand, I had witnessed first-hand how she was treated unfairly by her classmates and I wanted to help her. On the other hand, she had no idea I was there or that I knew about what had happened to her.

How would you even start that conversation?

“Hey, I went to your school today and poked your cheeks while I was invisible to everybody present.” 

“—Hello, police?”

I could already see how something like that would play out.

“..H-how was school today? Did you step in a puddle on the way home?”

“Ya, something like that.”

Giving her a quick out in the conversation seemed to be the best choice after all. She looked down at the shoes that were drying on the ground and then back up at me.

“This morning, thanks for the cold compress. It really helped me feel better.”

“Ya, no problem… You didn’t look so good last night so I just wanted to make sure you would be ok.”

“Thanks Akira, that really means a lot. You didn’t have to offer me a home but you still did, and you even made sure I was ok. I feel like I am really indebted to you for your kindness.”

Akira looked down slightly and gave a small smile. Something I rarely saw from her.

Another awkward silence fell between us as I stood outside my door and she stood right inside hers. I felt like if there was any time to touch on what happened today, this might be it.

“You go to class of some sort during the day, don’t you? How was it?”

“…ah.. ya, I am doing remedial classes at the high school section of the school here. It was fine…”

As she spoke those words her black eyes looked even deeper than normal to me. She made it look as if there really wasn’t anything special going on. Just another day of school. How long had she been treated in the way those girls had treated her today?

“Really? …That’s good to hear. By the way, I haven’t asked what year you are yet. While I’m at it, how old are you anyways?”

“I am a second-year student, 17 years old. And you? You look like you’re too old to be in school, do you even have a job?”

Somehow that last comment hurt my heart a little.

“Haha.. ou.. I graduated from university a little over a year ago, and now I am working for—“

I paused slightly as I was unsure what to tell her. How would you normally introduce an occupation that involved everything that I am supposed to do here. Is there even a “normal way” for that?

I guess I can give her at least the job title… That shouldn’t be hard to explain… 

“Well, I am working for the city in a management position.”

“Hou… really? Are you sure you’re not lying to me?”

“Well, despite the image created by the way we met, I do have a proper job. I just started actually.”

“Ah, well congratulations. You will be able to get your own apartment soon then?”

“Yes, I am very thankful for your help so far, and I will be in your care until then.”

“Un… don’t mention it.”

Not knowing what to say next, I thought it would be good to get to know her a little bit better.

“So, when do your parents get home? I feel like I should meet them to at least let them know I will be taking advantage of the hospitality you have shown for a little longer.”

Akira’s face that had recently been showing more emotion than normal immediately returned to her usual cold expression.

“Parent… And I live here alone.”

Akira quickly ended our conversation by closing the door on me. Her eyes again showing me their true nature as a black hole of immeasurable depth, not letting a single emotion escape from them.

I said something I shouldn’t have there. That was pretty unthoughtful of me to bring up a bad memory like that. 

The day was beginning to stretch into the late afternoon, and it was at this point that I had again began to realize I had gone a considerable amount of time without food.

I should make it up to her by bringing something to eat.

I decided to go to a house that belonged to one of the people I spoke with today. A husband and wife combo come to live out their later days in the country side. I had caught the wife earlier as she was out gathering locally grown ingredients, during my survey of the city’s economic infrastructure. I knew from speaking with her that she was making some sukiyaki for her husband this evening. A meal consisting of beef, vegetables, and tofu cooked in a soy sauce broth.

A quick trip to their house and a few kind words was all it took to get the leftovers of their dinner, as well as two bowls to eat them in. I carried the food back to the apartment and knocked on Akira’s door. Not surprisingly there was no answer.

“Akira, I have some food if you want some. I’ll just leave it out here for you.”

I turned away from the door and went to sit on the stairway, looking out over the expanse of farm land dyed in a slightly red hue due to the now setting sun. I placed Akira’s bowl beside me, and divided some of the sukiyaki into my bowl as well as hers.

Wow… the random grandma is a REALLY good cook. With just these skills she could open up a restaurant here.

The food was amazing. The beef was tender, the vegetables were perfectly cooked to the perfect texture, and the tofu soaked up the broth like sponges. The feeling of a warm meal like this after the past few days was something that almost brought tears to my eyes. Reminding me of the times I was able to sit with my family and enjoy this same meal.

I heard the small creak of a door and I looked behind me to see Akira looking at the bowl of food sitting on the stairs next to me.

“Come out to eat, it’s still warm.”

“That sounds like something that somebody suspicious might say.”

“Well, I can’t deny that I have shown you some pretty suspicious appearances, so I guess you’re right. Anyways, come and eat before it gets cold.”

“Hmmm… Sukiyaki?”

“Yep, I got it from a friend I have here.”

“You seem to have quite a few friends for just getting here a few days ago.”

Ah… She’s catching on… This girl is pretty smart…

“Haha… ya, the company sets us up with a few locals so that we aren’t completely on our own out here.”

For now, I passed it off with a lie. I don’t think it would be a good idea to tell her how exactly I have been getting food for us.

“mmmmhhh… The company couldn’t set you up with housing then?”

Rrrgg… she is really quick at catching on. If I am not careful, I am going to have a lot of explaining to do.

“No, the company allows us to choose our own housing. It just so happens that before I took this job I was already struggling financially. Just getting out here used up the last of my funds until I get paid.”

A reasonable response to her reply… now will she accept it?

“Hmm… So you were a suspicious person before this then as well. Just who have I let live next to me?”

Akira seemed to have accepted my explanation and was now just trying to be difficult. She opened her door all the way came outside to retrieve her meal. Taking it and sitting with her back against the metal railing of the balcony, facing back towards the walls of her apartment.

We ate in silence for a while. Just enjoying the company and the good food.

Seriously, this is probably the best sukiyaki I’ve ever eaten.

“Thank you for bringing me food today. It was good.”

“Don’t mention it. You’ve already given me so much so it’s the least I could do.”

“un… And also…… I am sorry for shutting the door on you earlier today.”

“No, I am sorry. I overstepped my bounds. That was my fault.”

We sat looking in opposite directions. I was looking out at the fields and it looked like she was simply looking at the faded paint on the wall. Silence enveloped us again as the day was ending in the valley. The feeling of a full stomach along with the companionship of just being close to somebody created a healing atmosphere.

After about half an hour had passed, and the last rays of light were yielding to the night, I turned around and spoke.

“Thank you for eating with me, Akira. It has been a very long time since I could share an enjoyable meal with somebody like this. If you would like we can eat together like this more in the future.”

“I think… that would be enjoyable. Thank you, Kei.”

With those few words of gratitude we parted ways, and both retreated to our separate rooms.

Now then, I have had dinner, and feel very tired from walking for most of the day. However…

A little bit about me. I consider myself clean man. I like clean things. I appreciate the smell of cleaning chemicals in the air as you enter a house. The same goes for the way I take care of my body. I prefer to take showers before I go to sleep, and often times after I wake up in the morning. Yes, the past few days have really not done a great job at demonstrating that, however that is that and this is this.

…I need to take a shower. Or at least clean myself off somewhere.

I had been able to finally clean myself earlier in the day at the old man’s place. However, from walking around and sitting outside I had started to sweat just enough to give me the uncomfortable feeling of being unclean. The room I was staying in was fitted with a small shower, just one glance at it though told me the shower had not been used in many years and would likely never be able to be used again.

I could always persuade one of the local residents to lend me theirs, however… That just seems a little too far. Even if I have been using these abilities mainly to get myself free food.

I remembered the river that ran through the valley and decided to head there to look for a place I might be able to use.

The sunset reflecting off the river created a beautiful scenery as I walked down its banks, hoping to find some place secluded enough to rinse myself off. It didn’t take long to find a small, shallow area just at the edge of one of the bends that was relatively unseen from the outside. I quickly undressed, rinsed myself off, and then air dried myself as I watched the sun setting.

After drying I put my suit back on, then began to make my way back to the old apartment building. The proximity to the old building and the place I used to bathe was relatively close, so I may end up going back there in the future if I really can’t find another place without “asking” to use somebody else’s.

As I made the way up the stairs to my room for the second time that day, I could hear voices coming from Akira’s room.

…Does she have a friend over? Maybe it’s one that doesn’t go to the supplementary lessons like she does?

Walking into my apartment I realized something. From the outside, the conversation being held in Akira’s room was reduced to a low mumble. However, my room and Akira’s room were divided by walls that were paper thin. Meaning they could likely hear every movement I make across this worn tatami flooring. I could also of course hear everything they were saying.

Listening to another person’s conversation is bad, however, being forced to listen is a completely different scenario. On this particular occasion it was one I really was not sure how to deal with; considering the contents of the conversation.

“What are you doing back here?”

“Akira… Don’t be so cold to me. I just came back from working and I don’t even get a welcome home?”

Could she be talking to a family member?

“This isn’t your home any more than whatever place you stayed at last night.”

“Akira, nobody is going to want to talk with you if you always act like that. To not even welcome your own mother home. I raised you better than that.”

“Ah, yes. Of course, it was you who raised me. Always being there for important things, making sure I was well taken care of. You really did a great job.”

“Akira, listen, I work day and nights to make sure you live well enough here. Why don’t you quit speaking about things you don’t understand and get your own job. Your far old enough to work. If you ask me you should have been working two years ago but I was a kind mother and I let you live a school life for a while longer. You’re pretty much done with that now. You aren’t going to make anything of yourself from going to the school here, and you couldn’t make it in any other schools. Why don’t you just drop out and start working already? I have plenty of friends I could get you connected to, you would already have a strong recommendation coming from me! It would be far easier than when I started. It took months to get a decent client base and you could just skip all of the hassle!”

“NO! I want to finish school. I want to make something of my life! I don’t want to sell myself like you do! I know that I can be more than that. I know I can be more than just a red-light worker like you.”

*ssslapp*

“Do NOT talk to me like that! I raised you. I fed you. I made sure you had what you needed-“

“Oh, so coming home once a month when you feel like it is raising a child? Leaving and not telling anybody when you will be back is caring for them!?”

Something that sounded like glass hit the wall dividing the rooms and shattered.

“AKIRA! You will work! I came back to tell you I will no longer be supporting you. You will live on your own and work for a living, whether you like it or not! I don’t care what you do. If you are going to throw away the chances I am giving you that is fine by me! Just don’t come back to me when you fail and end up the same as I was!”

The door opened and slammed shut shortly after. Akira’s mom had left the apartment and I heard her footsteps pound down the metal stairs.

Akira stayed in her room and I heard the sound of a girl lightly crying.

Ahh… how should I handle this situation? I shouldn’t get involved with her personal business… But maybe I could just check on her somehow?

I reached a fist of and lightly tapped against the wall. The crying stopped. I tapped again. Silence. There were no more sounds coming from the room for the next hour. Because it had been some time with no response or sounds of movement, I guessed she had fallen asleep. And following her example I also closed by eyes and went to sleep.

Or so I thought. A few hours into my sleep I was awoken by more glass breaking. I heard the sound of heavy footsteps crushing worn tatami flooring.

Something large hit the wall with a force that made it seem like the whole thing would cave it.

Strange voices came through the wall. Men’s voices, followed by a women’s voice, and a single scream that was cut short.

The metal stairs rattled as I heard the people leave. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. Quickly, I ran out of the room and masked my presence similar to how I did it in the classroom the day before. I made it out in time to see a black car drive away very fast. I looked towards Akira’s room and saw the door open. I ran to the door and looked inside to see one more man and a woman both with cigarettes in their mouths. They were carrying flashlights and were searching the apartment. Akira was gone.

“Ah, look at this dumb girl. She didn’t have a single coin left in the whole room. Really, she should have been working and then maybe this wouldn’t have happened.”

I heard the woman’s voice and recognized it immediately. It was the voice from earlier today, Akira’s mom.

“Hah, pathetic. If she was even a little bit like you, she would have been a lot more fun to deal with. I probably got a bruise on my shoulder thanks to her pushing me against the wall. So, what is it I owe you, three, four, five… hundred right? But with this bruise I’ll have to deduct some…”

“Wait! That’s not what we agreed on! I said she could be yours for five hundred! We didn’t discuss any damage fees!”

“Exactly, we didn’t discuss any… So it is assumed that there are. Or, do you need some help to get you to see what I’m saying?”

The man steps closer to Akira’s mom and she backs away, realizing she couldn’t hope to overpower him.

“Ah… no, that won’t be necessary, but maybe I could… repay the damages in some other way…?”

The man’s eyes began to show the gleam of lust as he stepped slightly closer to her and began to reach out to touch her side.

At that point though, I had had enough. My feelings from earlier in the day resurfaced. The rage, the sadness, the hatred; all directed at the people that hurt a girl with eyes that reflected nothing.  

The three girls at school who looked down on her. The men who took her. A mothe-, a woman who had just sold her for five hundred and a side service. These people had hurt her. These people had taken away from her when life had already taken so much. These people would come to regret it. I would make sure of that.

I revealed my presence at the door way and slammed my first against the door frame.

The two in the room jumped slightly, disrupting the sexual tension that had built up between them.

“Ah… a neighbor?”

“What? Woman, you said there weren’t any neighbors!”

The man, almost yelling at the woman, reached for his waist to pull out a knife.

“Ah… Instead of a neighbor… I am more of the building manager working for the city…”

“Who cares, you’re going to be dead anyways. Go manage some more in the afterlife!”

The man lunged at me with the knife in his hands. He had likely assumed that I had heard the commotion and was coming to investigate.

However….

FEAR.

Fear: An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

The dictionary definition of the word fear is not something that will suffice for what I meant for the man and woman to feel what I thought that. I have come to find that my power works in whatever way I believe something is. For example, if I refer to happiness as sadness, then the person affected will become happy. In this case I am altering the definition a little bit from the standard to:

Fear: An sense of dread and despair caused by the belief that someone or something death itself.

The man trips and falls to the floor, scrambling backwards to hide his face against the back of the apartment. The woman freezes immediately and faints.

I walk toward the man and firmly grasp the back of his neck.

“Where did you take her. You will tell me everything about who you work for, where you are located, and why you took her.”

The man didn’t say a word. His neck was sweating, his breathing was ragged, and the smell of urine had begun to fill the room.

“You will tell me now no matter what or you will die.”

Again, more whimpers. Through it all though, he managed to get out the information I needed.

They were located on the far side of the city where the distribution center that served as a gateway to outside markets for this city was. They had taken Akira based on a deal they had made with her mom who had sold her to them. Their purpose… they planned to toy with her, eventually putting her into a life on the corner, perpetually making money for them until she outgrew her use or died, whichever came first.

As I reflected on those things in my head my thoughts became jumbled. More range than ever before filled inside of me as I thought of the people who had taken Akira. I wanted them gone. I wanted them to disappear. I would find them, and make sure they never existed.

After thinking that the man whose neck I had my hand grasped around went limp. I let him fall to the floor and saw blood trickling out of his nose and mouth. I reached down and put my fingers on his neck briefly.

Nothing. He is dead… I killed a man.

A few days ago killing a man would have seemed a taboo for me. Something I would never even think of doing. However now… now I am not sure…. Because instead of feeling disgusted with myself and in disbelief I just feel… “Unfinished.”

I came to realize, that the only way I could feel “finished” is by taking back Akira, and righting the wrongs that had been done. As I ran out the apartment door and down the stairs, I realized that I knew exactly what I needed to do now to feel “finished”.

 

 

1