Prologue
209 5 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite the fact that Alyssa Summers always managed to maintain her grades and get to class on time, everyone who knew even a little bit about her called her obsessively addicted to games. Alyssa, or Tage, her preferred name and online gaming handle, cared little for what her family and school friends had to say about her habits. It was her life, and she had the right to make her own choices. Therefore, she’d decided she would do whatever made her happy, and she’d found nothing that brought her more joy than the world of virtual reality games.

That was why, when Tage suddenly refused to touch her TITAN headset, her family slowly began to grow worried.  At first they didn’t notice the change. She spent just as much time alone in her room, after all. Until one day her mother walked into Tage’s room to wake her up for dinner, and instead of laying on her bed with her purple visor over her face, she found her daughter staring at the ceiling, eyes rigidly locked wide in a state of apparent alarm. But even though her upset was obvious to her parents, her younger brother, her teachers, and her classmates, Alyssa refused to speak about what was bothering her, just as she refused to touch her once-beloved headset.  To any questions she’d jolt out of whatever thoughts she was trapped in, offer a forced smile, and let people know she was fine. She was just taking a short break from games, that was all.

After almost a week of this behavior, it was almost relief to Alyssa’s parents when they woke up one Saturday morning, went to check on their daughter, and found her limp in bed, eyes fluttering behind the visor that rested over her head. She had re-entered the game world. Her family still had no idea what had happened, but Alyssa had gotten over it. Things had returned to normal. Soon enough they would be able to start griping once more about how she played games too much, and that she needed to go out into the world and make real connections.

For the past week, Tage had been in denial.  But it had been more than a simple refusal to re-enter the world of her beloved virtual realities. It had been a denial that she was afraid to go back in, that she was afraid of what might be waiting for her there. It wasn’t until she finally accepted that she was afraid, and realized that if she didn’t do something about it now she might never go back, that she was once more able to put on the headset.

For a moment after she picked up the visor, her hands had trembled so bad she hadn’t been able to plug the thing in. But eventually she succeeded, in spite of her faint shaking.  Forcing herself to take a deep breath, Tage put the visor over her head, laid back in bed, closed her eyes, and initialized the connection between her headset and the TITAN universe.

For one moment, all she saw was blackness as her headset woke and ran through a quick check, until a familiar logo suddenly greeted her mind's eye.  Swirling on a dark background, brilliantly colored letters flashed across her vision.

Djinni:  Darkness of Ages Past

She was going back in.

 

And so begins the journey.  Thank you for checking out Awakening!

The prologue is a teaser for the story, and is about a third as long as my average chapter length will be. (AKA, this is short!  Sorry!)  I'm currently aiming to publish twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, at least until real life has other plans.  This weekend, Tage gets dropped back into the world of Djinni.  :)

Enjoy the read!

P.S. These authors notes will also probably be fairly common.  What can I say, I guess I'm just not a proponent of Death of the Author.

3