The Krockman: War of Souls (part 1)
69 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 

False Orchard had really changed since Krockman had last been there. While the manor was rather stately before hand, it had grown to ridiculous proportions since then; becoming a full blown hotel. Giant, glittering light fixtures hung from the ceiling while the floor was gaudily decorated with red carpeting. Along the walls, several portraits and tapestries added to the air of luxury. Even the furniture had a high end quality to it, a far cry from the original, crummy couches and chair that once stood here. As Krockman and the others stood in the lobby, they were certain of one thing: this was a place of elegance. 
As everyone looked around, Krockman asked, “Okay, seriously, what the hell happened to this place?” “I’m not sure,” Misfit muttered as he stared at the lobby. “Do you suppose Mac did all of this?” Shaking his head, Krockman answered, “No, it couldn’t be Mac. He doesn’t even like other people. Why would he expand his home just to make room for whole crowds of them?” “I’m guessing False Orchard wasn’t always like this,” Chad interjected. Glancing over at the human, Misfit explained, “It was rather big when we built it, but it was only meant for a relatively small group of people. This... this is something else entirely.” “Yeah, well honestly, I just want to know who’s responsible for all of this,” Krockman said in an annoyed tone. 

At that moment, a familiar voice called out to the group, shouting, “Hello everyone!” Turning towards the voice, everyone was shocked to see a familiar face. It was Emily, striding proudly towards the group, dressed in a matador’s jacket. By her side was an enormously fat man with stubby, little limbs. “Is... is that Emily?” Chelsea whispered to Krockman. “Why is she dressed like a bull fighter?” “I don’t know,” Krockman whispered in reply. “Who’s the fat guy?” Seeing the pair approaching, Z-Wrap interjected, “Oh crap, that’s my old boss, Bob ‘the Blob’ McQueen. He looks so weird without his rascal.” When the two finally arrived, Emily eagerly hugged Chelsea and Lana, shouting, “Oh my god! I’m so happy you guys came! Welcome to False Orchard.” As Emily hugged the girls, she noticed Lana’s new look, taking a step back and placing a hand to her mouth. “Lana?” she asked nervously. “You’re... you’re a lost soul. Does that mean...?” Lana only nodded solemnly in reply. 

Meanwhile, McQueen made his way towards Krockman and the other Seven New Gods, grabbing his hand and shaking it over enthusiastically. “Hey, how ya doin, Mr. Krockman? The name’s Bob McQueen. I’m the main investor in False Orchard. I’m sure Z-Wrap there told you all about me,” McQueen said ecstatically. “What brings you all to our fine establishment?” Feeling a little unnerved, Krockman answered, “Uh, no particular reason. Honestly, we just came by because this was the closest place we could enter from the mortal realm... what is happening here? What is... all of this?” “Oh, we can discuss it all over dinner, if you want,” McQueen said in reply. “Hey Emily! Call the waiters and tell them to set up a table for all of us.” Taking a moment to glare at Krockman, Emily only sneered as she pulled out her phone and said, “Fine then.” With that, she called the staff, letting them know of the upcoming party. 

After several minutes, the group found themselves at an ornate table in a dining hall. As Krockman and the others looked around the hall, Emily and McQueen seated themselves at the head of the table; the young drok smiling smugly at her guests. “I’m so happy we can all finally get together,” she said as she clasped her hands together. “We hardly ever spend time together anymore, all things considered. So, what’s everyone been up to?” Feeling a bit on the spot, Krockman answered, “Uh, well... I got vengeance on the guy who ruined my life and exposed the true nature of reality in the process... and I felt absolutely no satisfaction from it. Sooooo... yeah.” “Really, no satisfaction?” Emily asked, leaning in a bit. “Yeah, it’s weird. I’ve been planning this for as long as I can remember, but now... it just feels so pointless. I don’t understand it.” Glancing over at the younger lost soul, Misfit interjected, “I have a theory.” Looking over at Misfit, Krockman said in reply, “Go on.” “Well, isn’t it obvious,” Misfit continued. “You’ve spent so long planning this vengeance out, that no result could ever truly live up to the expectations you built up for yourself. It was the pursuit that excited you rather than the actual end goal.” After a brief pause, Misfit added, “Of course, that’s just my opinion.” Krockman was completely dumbfounded. 

Eyeing the rest of the table, Emily got up from her chair and said, “Well then, now that that’s been settled, can I have a word with you, Krockman? It’s pretty important.” Looking concerned, Krockman said, “Um, ok. Not sure what this is about, but ok.” With that, Krockman got up from his seat and walked with Emily towards an elevator. Watching Krockman walk away, Z-Wrap rubbed his chin in silent contemplation before turning towards McQueen and saying, “Hey McQueen, why don’t we head over to the bar and catch up on old times, my treat.” Looking giddy, McQueen clapped his hands cheerfully, saying, “Ooh, drinks I don’t have to pay for. Those are my favorite kind of drinks.” With that, Z-Wrap and McQueen got up from the table and made their way to the bar. 

As the others watched on, Misfit noticed something in the crowd... or rather, someone. It was someone he had not seen in a very long time. Hobbling his way towards the table was a familiar pinhead. “Jojo?” the long nosed lost soul asked as he got up from his chair. “Is that really you?” “It is, Misfit,” Jojo answered with a nod. “I came down here to find you.” Hearing this, tears began to well up in Misfit’s eyes as he went over to his old friend and hugged him for the first time in years. With the others watching, Roquella could not help but smile, saying, “Aww, I’ve never seen him so happy.” “Well it’s always nice to meet back up with a little buddy after a long time apart,” Chunko added with a grin. Looking on at the tearful reunion, Alucard could only sigh, saying, “Yeah, if only there were more miracles like that happening, especially to me.” 

As they were hugging, Misfit asked, “So what brings you down here to Limbo? I haven’t seen you in ages.” “I actually came here to help someone find you,” Jojo explained. “She’s your daughter.” Hearing this, a shocked look crossed Misfit’s face as he asked, “M-my... my what?” “Yes, your daughter,” Jojo answered with a grin. “She’s been wanting to meet you for a long time. I tried to tell Bathory about her, but... she was in one of her moods. Would you like to meet her?” “Yes, of course,” Misfit answered ecstatically. “I’ve been praying for this moment ever since Bathory gave her away.” Smiling at this, Jojo turned towards where he came from and waved towards someone in the crowd. From the droves of lost souls, came the most beautiful women that any of the Seven New Gods or mortals had ever seen. Misfit could only smile as he and the woman embraced each other. 

While everyone was completely shocked by the girl’s appearance, Alucard immediately recognized her. “Oh... my... god,” he said, slowly getting up from his chair. “Mona?” Taking a moment to look up from hugging her father, the woman looked at the lost soul in shock, saying, “Alphonse? Is that really you?” Seeing this, Misfit asked, “Do you two know each other?” “Yeah, this is Mona,” Alucard explained. “She’s my girlfriend. I... I can’t believe it. She’s actually here!” Letting go of Misfit, Mona slowly embraced Alucard, smiling as she said, “Oh Alphonse, I can’t believe I’m finally seeing you again after all this time. I take it you already met my dad?” “Yeah, I’ve known him ever since I first came into Limbo,” Alucard said in reply, casting a wary eye towards Misfit. “To be honest, though, I find it hard to believe that he’s your dad. I mean... just look at him.” Looking a little offended, Misfit retorted, “I’ll have you know, I was quite the looker in my day, thank you very much. Despite that, I’m glad you and Mona were a happy couple.” With that, the father, daughter, and her lover continued to catch up on lost time; all the while, the others were watching on, wondering how Mona could possibly be Misfit’s daughter. 

Meanwhile, at the bar, Z-Wrap and McQueen were busy buying drinks, with McQueen already having downed five shots of vodka. “Ah, Ramses my boy,” McQueen said, starting to get drunk off the shots. “This is truly the life, eh?” “Yeah, it sure is,” Z-Wrap said in reply as he nursed his orange crush. “And all it took was you dropping dead from a heart attack and me getting put in a coma, losing an eyeball, and suffocating in a safe during a botched bank job.” Rolling his eyes, McQueen simply answered, “Details, details.” “But seriously though, this is a pretty nice operation you’ve got going on here,” Z-Wrap said, glancing around the dining hall. “Everything’s all orderly and well managed. A real tight ship you’ve got here. And you’ve got Emily working with you too (that’s pretty impressive).” “Well I do what I can for those in need,” McQueen said in a proud tone. “She came to me seeking a way to extend her life, and I offered her a deal: become the manager of this fine establishment and she’ll have as many shreds of life as she’ll need.” 

Staring at his former boss with a suspicious look, Z-Wrap asked, “And how does that help her extend her life? We both know that shreds are just a form of currency. It’s not like they can be transferred to another person and just boost their lifespan.” Hearing this, McQueen simply smiled a sly grin as he answered, “Oh sure, we know that, but Emily doesn’t. That’s what makes it so brilliant.” “So... you’re tricking her into making you money?” Z-Wrap asked, feeling a little uncomfortable. “Dude, that’s pretty low.” “It’s not low, kid. It’s business,” McQueen retorted. “We split the money evenly, 50/50. She’s happy, I’m rich, everyone wins in the end. Nothing wrong with that, is there?” Looking incredulously at the larger lost soul, Z-Wrap said, “Alright, fine, but answer me this: what’s gonna happen when Emily finds out that those shreds of life are completely useless to her?” McQueen only smirked, saying in reply, “Let me give you some good advice. You’ll never go broke banking on someone’s fear of mortality. They’ll swallow anything you sell them. Does that make any sense?” Eyeing the far lost soul skeptically, Z-Wrap simply smiled, saying, “Perfectly clear.” With that, the two continue ordering drinks, though only McQueen actually kept drinking. 

Meanwhile, up in Emily’s office, Emily and Krockman were sitting at a finely polished pinewood desk. An awkward silence hung in the air as Emily stared down the lost soul while tenting her fingers. Looking around nervously, Krockman spoke, “So... ummm, you’re doing pretty good for yourself here.” Emily said nothing, simply continuing to stare at Krockman (which unnerved him slightly). Unsure of what to say, Krockman continued, “Well then, um, how long have you been here in Limbo?” “I’m not sure,” Emily said, finally breaking her silence. “How long were you hiding the fact that me and my friends were supposed to be dead months ago?” Looking shocked, Krockman stammered, asking, “H-h-how.. how did... just how?” “Bathory and Lolita told me months ago,” Emily explained, folding her arms across her chest. “I’m guessing all the other lost souls knew about this.” Krockman only grew silent at this, feeling ashamed of himself. 

Eyeing the lost soul  scornfully, Emily continued, “Alright then, answer me this: How was it going to happen? How were we supposed to die?” Looking up at Emily, Krockman said in reply, “You really don’t want to know.” “Just tell me,” Emily retorted coldly. Looking nervous, Krockman simply sighed and began, “Well, Lana was supposed to die from her heart condition and Chad was supposed to die from the stress of his job. Frankly, if I hadn’t kidnapped him, he would’ve ended up becoming a totem businessman.” “I’ve heard of those things. I think you actually made a good call on Chad there,” Emily interjected. “Now, why don’t you tell me what would’ve happened to me and Chelsea.” Hearing this, a solemn look crossed Krockman’s face as he continued, “Well, between the finding out that you were infertile and breaking up with Chad, you fell into a bit of depression. You tried to put on a brave face, but after a while, it would’ve been too much to handle. Soooo... you went up onto the roof of your apartment, you look over the e-edge, you started to... consider it, but before you could make your next move, Chelsea found you and tried to save you. There’s a bit of a struggle until you both... f-fall over.”  “I see, I see,” Emily said in reply, breathing a sigh of relief. 

“So... that’s how it would’ve went down if I hadn’t stepped in,” Krockman explained. “Now that you know all of that... what’re you gonna do?” “Well isn’t it obvious?” Emily answered, getting up from her chair. “I’m staying here in Limbo. I’m not going back to the mortal realm to die. I mean, Lana already died from a heart attack. How’d that one happen on ‘your watch’?” Looking shocked, Krockman retorted, “I took my eyes off of her for a few minutes, but that’s besides the point. You can’t stay here in Limbo. You’ll go crazy.” “So what are you saying? I should just go back home and hope you can keep your eye on us the whole time?” Emily retorted, clenching her fists. “Screw that! I’m not leaving until I have enough shreds of life to last me and the others for a long time.” Having heard this, Krockman snapped, “What the hell are you talking about? That’s not how shreds of life work. Shreds are just money, nothing else. You’re not gonna extend your life by hoarding money.” Emily only scowled at this, simply saying, “Yeah, you’d say that, wouldn’t you.” 

“Oh for god’s sakes! I’m trying to help you out here, damn it!” Krockman roared, getting fed up with the young drok’s stubbornness. “Why can’t you understand that?!” “Yeah, some help,” Emily retorted. “You try to take me away from my business, take me back to the mortal realm, and let me die. In fact, you know what I really think’s going on here? I think you’re upset that I’m actually running my own business and I’m not under your insane thumb anymore! I think you’re jealous of my success!” This was the straw that broke the camel’s back for Krockman. “Jealous. Jealous! Jealous!!!” he roared furiously, slamming his fists on the desk. “Are you fucking serious!? You seriously think I’m that small and petty!?” Emily answered with a simple, flat, “Yes.” Clenching his fists, Krockman retorted, “Alright, fine! You know what?! Fuck this! I’m out of here! You want to stay here and go insane, fine by me!!!” With that, he got up from his chair and stormed out of the office. 

Stomping back towards his table, Krockman was confronted by an odd sight. Along with the Seven New Gods and Misfit, sat a beautiful, blonde woman, quiet possibly one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen (besides Roquella obviously). She sat between Alucard and Misfit, all three engaged in cheerful conversation. Sitting next to Misfit was a short, middle aged man dressed in a bathrobe and sporting a topknot atop his small head. Staring at the sight, Krockman turned to Roquella and asked, “Um, what’s going on here? Who are these people?” “Oh, that’s Jojo, Misfit’s old friend,” Roquella explained. “And that’s Mona, Alucard’s girlfriend and Misfit’s daughter.” “Oh, well good for Alucard. I’m sure he’s finally...” Krockman said, only to realize what Roquella said. “Hold on, that’s Misfit’s daughter?!” Shrugging her shoulders, Roquella replied, “Yeah, don’t ask. We’re still trying to figure out how that works.” 

As Krockman was pondering this, a familiar voice shouted at him, “Krockman! Get back here!” Turning around, he saw that it was Emily, storming up to him and clearly pissed. “Krockman! We weren’t done talking!” Emily snapped, getting up in the lost soul’s face. “Funny, I believe we were finished,” Krockman calmly retorted. “As for the rest of us, I think it’s time we left.” Looking confused, Roquella asked, “What, why? I thought we were al having a good time.” Krockman only cast a side glance towards his fiancé and hoarsely whispered, “She knows everything.” Roquella didn’t say anything, a shocked look crossing her face. Glaring at the group, Emily stated, “Fine, you can go... on one condition: leave my friends here with me. That way, when I have enough shreds, I can give them their share.” Sighing at this, Krockman simply answered, “Alright fine, whatever, but when you realize I’m right, you’re all coming back with me. Got it?” Emily only scowled at this, silently resenting the lost soul. 

Feeling satisfied, Krockman sighed and said to the other Seven New Gods, “Alright guys, let’s get out of here. Chad, Chelsea, Lana, we’ll be seeing you.” “Um, actually, I’m going with you guys,” Lana said as she got up from her chair. “I mean, I’m already dead. It’s not like the shreds are going to bring me back to life, right?” Growing quiet at this, Emily seemed a little disappointed as she said in reply, “I... I suppose that’s true. Just be sure to visit every once in a while, okay.” Lana agreed to this happily. “Well then, if we have to leave, we’ll leave,” Misfit said as he got up from his chair. “Come along Mona, Jojo. I’ll take you on a tour of Babel. You’re going to love it.” “Hold it,” Emily snapped. “Those two aren’t going anywhere. They work for me, and they’re staying right here.” Looking offended, Alucard retorted, “You can’t just keep them here because you’re mad at Krockman. Me and Misfit haven’t seen either of them in forever.” “True, that is a fair point,” Emily said, tapping her chin in mock contemplation. “Except for two things: first, you were the one that had me sent here in the first place, and two, sausage nose over there kidnapped Chad and did god knows what to him. Consider this payback. Now then, I believe your boss is leaving. I suggest you follow him.” Glaring at the drok, Alucard and Misfit quietly relented in defeat, casting an apologetic look towards the now distraught Mona and Jojo. With that, Krockman, Misfit, Lana, and the other Seven New Gods made their departure and left False Orchard, Emily smirking smugly all the while. 

As the group made their way back into the wasteland towards Babel, an awkward yet venomous silence hung in the air. Finally, Krockman spoke, “Ok, I’m gonna just say it: this whole thing sucks. How could Emily do this to me.” “To you?” Alucard retorted indignantly. “What about me? She’s keeping my girlfriend hostage.” “That’s my daughter you’re talking about,” Misfit interjected. “Not to mention she has my friend as well.” “I know, guys. I know,” Krockman said, rubbing his brow in frustration. “But it’s not like we can just force her out. As long as she thinks shreds of life are going to increase her life span, she’s not leaving any time soon.” 

Overhearing this, Z-Wrap smiled smugly as he said, “Well, that might be a problem that’ll solve itself real soon.” “What’re you talking about?” Krockman asked in reply. “See, back at the bar, I bought McQueen a whole bunch of booze and got him good and liquored up,” Z-Wrap explained. If there’s one thing I learned from working for him is that he can’t hold his booze. It’ll be a matter of time before McQueen lets it slip that he’s just using Emily to get rich.” Looking impressed, Krockman nodded as he said, “Wow, that’s actually pretty brilliant. Maybe our luck is finally looking up.” At that moment, Krockman heard his phone go off in his pocket. Pulling it out, he saw he had received a text message from Lolita that read 

The Powers that Be are in your office 
they want to talk with you 

Staring at the text, Krockman simply clenched his phone, scowled up at the sky, and shouted, “Motherfucker!” 
———— 

Back at False Orchard, Emily was giddily chatting with Chelsea and Chad, while Mona and Jojo were sitting at the table with them, awkwardly silent. To be fair, Chelsea and Chad were also awkwardly silent, mainly stunned by Emily’s actions. It’s hard to hold a conversation with your best friend when they’re basically holding two people hostage out of spite. Emily, meanwhile, was blissfully unaware of the others’ discomfort. Finally, after Emily brought up how they all used to watch “Parks and Recreation” together, Jojo finally spoke up, asking, “What’s that?” “It’s a tv show,” Emily explained. “You’ve never seen it?” “Can’t say that we have,” Mona answered with a shrug. Grinning excitedly, Emily got up quickly and said, “Really?! Oh, we’ve got to binge watch it! Chad! Chelsea! You’ve got to join us. Ooh, I’m gonna invite McQueen to watch with us... where is he?” Looking surprised, Chad answered, “Um, I think he’s over at the bar.” “Fantastic! Come on, let’s go get him!” Emily said, leading the way to the bar as the others reluctantly followed her. 

When they arrived at the bar, they found McQueen, stinking drunk, most of the counter covered by his massive, slumped over bulk. “Hey McQueen!” Emily said, poking the large lost soul. “We’re going to binge watch ‘Parks and Recreation’. Want to join us?” McQueen only straighten up a bit and issued a slurring groan before face planting back onto the counter. Seeing the lost soul in a deeply inebriated state, Emily began to see an opportunity. “Hey, uh, McQueen, can we talk about deal we made earlier; y’know, where we split the shreds 50/50? I was thinking we should probably start splitting it 60/40.” Hearing this, McQueen immediately perked up, turned to glare at Emily, and said, “I’d better be the ‘60’ in that deal, or else.” Looking confused, Emily explained, “Well no, I’d be the ‘60’. I need it more, especially now since my friends are here.” “Oh the hell you do!” McQueen bellowed furiously. “I didn’t waste my time helping you just to be low balled. I’m in the business of making money, not dealing with your delusions that money’s somehow going to make you live forever. I made you who you are, and you better damn well remember that.” Shocked by this, Emily retorted, “But you said I could use shreds of life to extend my own life.” “Oh grow up, you idiot. I was lying,” McQueen said as he got up uneasily from his two barstools. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go take a leak.” With that, McQueen made his way through the crowd with all the grace of a snowplow. 

As Emily watched on in silence, Chad spoke up, asking, “What are these shreds of life you guys keep talking about?” “It’s a form of currency here in the afterlife,” Emily explained. “McQueen said that we use it to extend our lives, but now the fat, greedy bastard is trying to screw us over with that stupid fake out.” “Fake out? You mean when he admitted, to your face, that he was lying about how shreds can make you immortal?” Chelsea interjected, growing concerned. “Em, I’m no expert, but I’m pretty certain he’s just a greedy bastard who tricked you into making him rich.” “I have to agree with Chelsea on this one,” Mona said. “I mean, me and Jojo lived pretty simple lives back in heaven, so we really don’t have a lot of experience with shreds, but I’m pretty sure it’s just money.” Hearing this, a distressed look crossed Emily’s face, placing a trembling hand to her mouth as her eyes darted around while she processed this. “N-n-no, that can’t be true. That just can’t be true. I don’t believe any of it! This has to be the way to save us!! I don’t want to die!!!” The others simply stared in shock at the young drok. 

Suddenly, there was a loud commotion coming from the entrance. Curious and terrified, Emily and the others made there way to the front, only to be confronted by a horrifying sight. A large, frightened crowd had gathered at the entrance, tightly huddled around the edge of the building. Floating at the edge of the property line was a large, silver monster that glowered down at the crowd. It’s body was covered in circuit like markings that ran from its shoulders to its waist, while a thin screen ran across its chest featuring a cycle of blue blocks streaming across, and an apple-like symbol on its stomach. In place of legs, it had a strange, engine-like device that emitted bizarre, pixel-like particles. Its head was long and swept back (somewhat like the xenomorph from Alien), while its face consisted of a bronze plate resembling a fanged scowl (which stretched along the sides of its head) and a screen in place of eyes, with two digital eyes showing. Its arms were long and spindly, and clutched in its bony, clawed hands was McQueen, dangling by one leg like a rag doll and terrified out of his mind. 

Staring on in shock, Emily asked, “McQueen! What the hell happened to you!? What is that thing!?” “I don’t know what happened!” McQueen shouted, clearly upset. “I was busy taking a piss, and I barely had time to put my pants on before this thing snatched me up from behind like some kinda psycho wuss!” The monster heard this and clearly took offense, holding the lost soul up to its face and issuing a rumbling growl. “D-don’t worry McQueen! We’ll get you down! Just don’t panic!” Emily shouted, clearly trying not to panic as she turned her attention to the monster. “Now look here you shiny freak, you better put McQueen down or you’ll be sorry. I have Krockman’s blessing, and you don’t want to make him angry, would you?” The monster, thoroughly unimpressed, simply motioned as of to sneer and held McQueen a little higher, giving him a little shake for emphasis. Feeling annoyed, Emily snapped, “Didn’t you hear what I said? I’m warning you to...” Before she could finish her threat, the monster opened its mouth, stretching the full length of its head and packed full of sharp fangs, and bit McQueen in half. The sight horrified Emily as she stared at the empty, hollow bottom half of the lost soul, golden energy dripping from the opening. Satisfied, the monster threw the remains to the ground, shattering it like a beer bottle, and floated off into the wasteland. Staring on in horror, Emily turned to the others and shouted, “Why didn’t any of you do anything!?” This sent the entire group into an argumentative frenzy, too distracted to notice that the monster was watching them from the distance. 

As the monster watched on, he could hear the same rattling sound he had heard before, the rattling of the Demiurge’s scales scraping against his treasure. He laughed quietly to himself, saying, “Who’s better off for it now, you dumb cow.” It was at that moment that the monster changed back to his true self: none other than Mac. Satisfied with his work, Mac waited for the crowd to go back into his old home before leaving himself, wondering what he’ll do to them the next night. 

1