Chapter 4 – Ambush ④
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a room of the royal palace, the atmosphere was deadly still. A woman was sitting on a high and delicately carved wooden chair, overlooking the people prostrated at her feel. The one at the foremost position rose slightly while still remaining on his knees.

 

He then spoke concisely in a very deferential tone: "He escaped and is now back to his residence."

 

As he finished his words, a jug flew over and brushed past his ear, loudly crashing against the bare rock wall and splashing a wide red stain all over it. Some fine droplets slid down the rough surface and seamlessly disappearing between the stones, the rest dripped on the floor. A few servants rushed over to clean is before in could stain the carpet laid on the floor.

 

These were actually the queen's private headquarters, no one would be able to tell due to the lack of extravagance put in the decoration. The kingdom, although it was a recently established one, was far from being poor. On the contrary, it was a rapidly growing one, expanding its territory twice as much over the last century, and building up quite an important wealth out of the newly merged territories.

 

 

At the beginning, the most prosperous people were the warriors and subsequently, their families who made up most of the noble families ruling over the lands. The poorest being the former occupants of these lands, subjected to working the soil and doing all sort of odd jobs, which left them at the bottom of the social ladder, even generations later.

 

With the lack of new conquests, the rise of the scholars supplanted that of the long striving warriors. The tense relations with the strong surrounding countries led to the relocation of most of the military families to the borders, which left a rather large amount of empty posts to be assumed by these theoreticians, appointed by the military noble families which didn't want to yield their power after their departure.

 

The growing peace inside the country and new growing alliances announced the birth of a new era when the actual king ascended the throne. His mind was fed on the wisdom of the books, and he primarily focused on strengthening and prospering the kingdom, growing solid trading relations with the neighboring allied countries, even from across the sea.

 

The queen of such a mighty nation should be the model figure of its opulence. However, this place would look shabby compared to even the quarters of some minor officials, which would definitely be better furnished. Though, the queen's attire was on another level. The lavish materials and jewels adorning her body largely suited her supremely high status, as she would always dress in outfits of the most recent fashion made by well-known and loudly acclaimed tailors.

 

The man who nearly got hit by that jug actually didn't make any attempt to dodge, his gaze remaining firmly locked on the women sitting above.

 

He waited for her to slowly regain her composure before adding: "Even if this room was emptied to the bare minimum, to prevent Your Majesty from ruining the priceless items. Still, you shoudn't-"

 

He was cut off in speech by the tray, which now landed squarely on his face, without provoking any reaction aside from a faintly noticeable flinch.

 

The shrill voice of the women prevailed inside the small enclosed space as she shouted in an unbounded manner: "Useless! Presumptuous!  You should all die!"

 

Taking a long and deep breath, she instantly regained her cool and said faintly: "Find out who dared to lend him a hand."

 

Bowing deeply for the third time, the man rose with the several ones behind him and left in a quick stride, lowly muttering under his breath.

 

The queen narrowed her eyes as she bought the jug of wine that her servants just brought over to her thin lips, taking a light sip to moisten her slightly aching throat.

 

Seeing that she finally calmed down, the young man, standing by her side from start to end, finally opened his mouth: "Mother."

 

The queen silently lifted her eyes towards him and contemplated for a long time. Then, she nodded and choked out: "If it's his doing..." But she didn't finish her sentence.

0