Chapter 14
10.6k 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Recently two interesting things happened in the Imperial City. One was that the Regent’s beloved pet had gotten lost. There was a large-scale search for over half a month but he still had not been found. The Regent was said to be very depressed. The second was that news had come from the borderlands that the Western General WanQi Yan had been successful in his western conquest and was returning with his troops back to court. The Emperor was very pleased and had rewarded him with many treasures, and had also given him the title of the Marquis of Yong Wu. It could be seen that his star was definitely on the rise. {T/N: His title is “Marquis of Yong Wu”, which means something like “Military Might” Marquis, but his actual name is WanQi Yan. He will be referred to by both names.}

Everyone knew that the Regent controlled the court. Not only did he have imperial power but he also had military power, and this Marquis of Yong Wu was precisely one of the trusted people in his palm. He was given significant power. WanQi Yan had obtained such a glorious military victory and had boosted the Regent’s imperial power. Originally the young Emperor already had little standing and power, now he practically had nothing and spend all his time thinking about how to turn these two people into dust.

As for how the winds were turning, Zhao Xuan knew. WanQi Yan knew. Zhou YunSheng was even more clear.

Right now he was on his way to the General’s Manor in a carriage. Along the way he stared out at the bustling roadside scenes and internally reviewed all his memories of WanQi Yan from his past life. 

WanQi Yan was really a genius talent. Without his support from behind, the Regent would not have been able to completely grasp imperial power. The two people relied on each other, supported each other, but once they were pulled asunder, then it would create huge waves of change at court. In order to topple the Regent, WanQi Yan was a crucial step.

In the past life, OuYang MingYue had been forced to marry the Regent. She was very unhappy. Under the surface she plotted and schemed with the young Emperor while maintaining an outward appearance of intimacy with the Regent in order to obtain his trust. WangQi Yan became a crucial part of her plans. OuYang MingYue wore male clothes and took on the guise of a noble warrior of the pugilist (wuxia)world and got acquainted with WanQi Yan. Slowly she exposed her intelligence and talent, and slowly and subconsciously WanQi Yan began to form a deep and subconscious attachment to her. Finally one time OuYang MingYue fell under the influence of aphrodisiacs, she had no choice but to expose her gender, and the two people successfully rolled onto the bed and were swallowed by desire and lust.

WanQi Yan originally thought that the person he liked was a male, and was deeply conflicted by this for a long time. Just as he had made up his mind to throw away societal conventions and pledge himself to this person, he unexpectedly discovered that the person turned into a woman. He couldn’t be more overjoyed.

OuYang MingYue took advantage of his situation. Every day they clung to each other and made love, she made him unable to live without her. When the timing was ripe, she began to cry and confess to him about the tragic life she had led after being forced into marriage by the Regent. She begged WanQi Yan to help her get revenge.

The Regent had once saved WanQi Yan’s life. So of course he didn’t agree straight away. When OuYang MingYue saw that her begging didn’t have any effect, she deliberately angered the Regent in front of him, causing the Regent to lash out at her.

When he saw his lover filled with wounds, WanQi Yan’s heart finally melted. Slowly he began to distance himself from the Regent, he changed his alliance to the young Emperor. In the end he helped him force the Regent to step down and return the imperial power. If not for the fact that OuYang MingYue still lusted after the Regent’s bedroom skills as well as his beautiful face, he probably would not have been able to keep his life and would have been executed by the young Emperor as a traitor.

Although in this life the Regent was not the same as the Regent was from before, and in this life WanQi Yan definitely would not have the ability to seize military power from his lover’s hands, Zhou YunSheng still felt very uncomfortable. Right now he was just about to reach the Yong Wu Manor. His already ying features now looked quite dark.

When Wang Bao realized that the little master would not hurt his Lordship, he had returned to his previous level of attentiveness towards him. When he saw that he was unhappy he hurried to say, “Little master, you should smile more. If his Lordship was to see you like this, won’t he immediately beat this servant up? We’re going over today, but we’ll return home straight away tomorrow. It’s just a process we have to go through. His Lordship will even come to visit you tonight.”

Zhou YunSheng made a few noises of assent but his face was still distracted.

The carriage quickly came to a stop in front of the Yong Wu Manor. However it didn’t go up to the main door, but instead came secretly to a side entrance in an alleyway.

WanQi Yan stood at the door to receive his guest. His expression was very peaceful. He was more than 190cm tall, however his body wasn’t thickset but instead quite sleekly muscular. He was wearing a pure white robe with silver lining, and there was a jade hanging from his waist belt. His long black hair was fixed with a jade hairpin in the back of his head, showing his handsome face. His hair was neat as though it had been separated with a knife, his nose was straight and noble, his eyes were bright like stars. He didn’t look so much like a warrior general as much as an elegant and gentle scholar.

When he saw the carriage approaching, he slightly knit his brow showing that he felt worried.

Today at Court, he had already received the Regent’s message that he would be sending someone to his manor today. He was to spread the news that this person was the orphan child of the An Yuan General who had died in the western conquest. This person would only be staying at his manor for one day. Early the next morning he would return to the Regent’s Manor with the orphan’s identity and would be raised personally by his Lordship.

WanQi Yan wasn’t an idiot. It didn’t take him long to understand that is Lordship had taken a lowly pet from a questionable background, and wanted to give the other person a high rank and identity so that they could remain by his side to serve him. That’s why he was spending all this effort to arrange something like this.

The Lordship had always been extremely noble and clear-sighted, however now he was willing to commit the crime of impersonating an official’s orphan for a lowly plaything. It was clear that he had lost his way. So even though this person had not even arrived, WanQi Yan’s impression of them was already lower than dirt. If not for the fact that the Regent had strenuously instructed him to take care of this person well, he definitely would not have come to the door to receive them personally. 

He was the mighty Marquis of Yong Wu, and now he needed to debase himself by serving a lowly plaything. This was to him extremely humiliating.

“This servant greets the Marquis, sorry to make the Marquis wait for a long time.” Wang Bao didn’t discover the Marquis of Yong Wu’s displeasure. He jumped off the carriage and greeted with a happy smile. Afterwards he pulled aside the curtain covering the carriage and said with infinite respect, “Little master, wake up quickly. We’ve reached the General’s Manor. Ai, quickly rearrange your clothes properly. Be careful not to get a cold. This servant will help you off the carriage, go slowly and don’t knock your head.”

Wang Bao busied himself for some time before he was finally able to help this slender and staggering youth off the carriage.

WanQi Yan looked over vaguely with an expression of displeasure on his face, however this expression soon changed to shock and awkwardness.

This was a fifteen or sixteen year old youth. The hair on either side of his head was tied behind his head with goose-yellow ribbon, the rest fell long and loose down his back. Under the sunlight, it glowed with a satiny sheen. It seemed that he had fallen asleep in the carriage, his cheeks were very ruddy and looked very cute. A pair of tea-gold eyes were wet and dewy, bright and sparkling, with the ability to melt stone into water. His skin was extremely white, making his eyes look even more wet and his lips even more red. No matter how you looked at him, he looked adorable.

The youth swayed a little bit as he stood. He used his small hand to rub his eyes, and his pitiful appearance rather like an animal completely disrupted the image WanQi Yan had in his heart of a lowly person who used their sexuality to obtain favors.

“This is the young master?” He went forward and asked. He lowered his head and didn’t dare to look again however his heart for some reason beat even faster with a pu-dong-pu-dong sound. 

“This is precisely the little master. His Lordship is still at court taking care of business, so he begs the Marquis to help him take care of the little master.” Wang Bao carried over a very long fur coat and laid it around the youth’s shoulders.

“I don’t dare, please come in.” WanQi Yan didn’t spend much time talking to Wang Bao. When he saw a sliver of impatience in the youth’s eyes, he hurried to invite the two of them into the main hall.

If Zhao Xuan wanted to raise a pet, it shouldn’t matter if the other person was from a high or lowly background. Once he was sick of them, he could throw them away. However he wanted to be with the little fox openly and legitimately. He wanted everyone in the Tian Yuan Country to know that the little fox was his lover. Thus he wanted to arrange an appropriately highborn and noble identity for the little fox.

It was opportune that at this time the news arrived that WanQi Yan was bringing the An Yuan General’s body back to the city. The An Yuan General was a loyalist who had died for his country, however he didn’t have any living family and there was no one to send him off. WanQi Yan begged the Regent to arrange a glorious funeral for him. Zhao Xuan’s eyes lit up and immediately agreed. Then he sent the little fox to the General’s Manor under the assumed identity of the An Yuan General’s orphan.

As for the little fox’s amber eyes, they could say that it was because his mother had foreign ancestry and the genes were passed down in her family. Anyway now that everyone was dead there wasn’t any evidence, as long as WanQi Yan insisted, who would bother investigating? Anyway even if they did there wouldn’t be any evidence to the contrary.

Zhou YunSheng naturally understood his lover’s thoughts. Thus he obediently came to the General’s manor. However he didn’t have any good feelings towards any member of OuYang MingYue’s harem, so when he saw WanQi Yan he didn’t show him any good face and instead directly walked into the main hall. He found a random chair, sat down and waited for food.

“It’s nearly lunch time.” He indicated what he wanted and rubbed his stomach.

Wang Bao had taken care of him for several months, how could he not be familiar with his daily habits. He smiled and asked, “Marquis, the little master is hungry. When are meal times in the manor? Should we sent someone over to hurry them along?”

WanQi Yan saw the youth’s distant and cold expression. He didn’t bother to acknowledge the master of the house or even look him in the eye. Thus he stuck the label of “arrogant” on Zhou YunSheng’s heads. He forced himself to be patient and said, “Just then I already informed the kitchen to begin preparation. It should be ready in not too long. I beg the little master to wait a bit longer.”

Wang Bao immediately bowed to accept his thanks but Zhou YunSheng didn’t bother to open his mouth. He saw that there was a precious sword hanging on a wall. So he immediately jumped off his chair and walked over. This was the sword that WanQi Yan, after suppressing the Jin people, had plucked out from the war spoils he had gotten from their imperial palace. It’s name was Cut Moon, it could cut through metal like butter, it was extremely deadly. Back then WanQi Yan had presented it as tribute to the Regent but when the Regent saw how reluctant he was to part with it, had returned it back to him.

Anyone who came to pay respects at the Marquis’ Manor would be attracted by this sword. They all wanted to take it down to play with it however they were all rejected by WanQi Yan. He loved this sword like his own life so how could he let it be dirtied by inconsequential people. When he saw the youth walking towards the wall, he opened his mouth to stop him however the next second he lost his voice.

He saw that the youth completely had no interest in the sword. He didn’t want to take it down to play with it but instead used his little hands to play with the tassels that fell from the hilt of the sword. There was an open and joyful smile on his face. The pure black fringes slid around his fingers, showing off the snowy whiteness of his skin. His ten fingers flickered around, the image was very beautiful.

Compared to Cut Moon, this pair of jade-like hands had more killing power. Right now it was cutting deeply into WanQi Yan’s eyes. He looked then looked again. He only felt that the youth’s smile was incredibly pure and clean, completely without care in the world.

Wang Bao saw the Marquis staring at the little master. He wanted to stop him but didn’t know how to open his mouth. So he could only explain, “Marquis, don’t find it strange. The little master is still a child at heart and loves to play. Especially with objects that are small and interesting. Things like swords and knives, the Regent normally doesn’t allow him to touch. He’s also very obedient and won’t take it without permission, so you can rest assured.”

Turns out he was still a child ah, WanQi Yan retracted the “arrogant” label.

Just at this time, an attendant carrying a bag came inside. He said, “These are the things the little master strenuously instructed me to remember to bring. So this servant has brought it over.”

Wang Bao reached out for the bag but he didn’t think that the little master who was by the wall rushed over. He immediately snatched up the bag as though inside was hidden his precious treasures. Because of the sudden exchange, the originally already loosely sealed bag came open in a corner and then there was the sound of “pi-li-pa-la” as several items rolled onto the ground.

Zhou YunSheng’s ears went hot. He felt that he had lost all face.

He also wanted to act more mature, however the nature of a fox demon was just like this. They liked strange, shiny and interesting little objects. Every time they saw something they liked they would want to take it and hoard it in their burrows. Right now he didn’t have any burrow so he could use this bag to carry everything on his body. When he didn’t have anything to do he would take it out to play with. Originally he thought that the attendant would send it straight to his room so he could play with it on his bed, but how was he to know that this attendant was so attentive and actually brought it over here. Did he know how to do his job or not ah!

No matter how much grumbling he made in his heart, right now he had already lost control of the situation. He could only lower his self respect and crouch down to pick up the little marbles, little stuffed toy, little wooden horse and various other objects and hug them against his chest.

They thought it was some type of treasure but turns out they were just toys. This little master was so cute.

Wang Bao strenuously a suppressed a laugh and followed him to help pick up the objects. Then he tied up the bag properly and carefully to avoid the things falling out again.

WanQi Yan picked up the small stuffed toy tiger that had rolled over to his feet. His expression was strange. He finally knew what Wang Bao meant when he said the little master had a childish heart. A fifteen or sixteen year old youth was old enough to get married and begin his career, however this young master still liked to play with marbles and stuffed toys, this really was…. really too cute!

He held the little stuffed tiger. His mouth was still in a straight line but his eyes showed laughter.

Zhou YunSheng hurried over. He snatched the little stuffed tiger from his hands, realized he was laughing at him and glared at him.

The youth hadn’t completely developed his features yet. His head was small and his face wasn’t much bigger than a man’s palm. His eyes were bright and round and so when he glared at someone there was completely no feeling of menace, but looked more like a baby animal trying to show off his might. He seemed to be feeling a bit embarrassed but still did his best to maintain a resolute expression, his cheeks were red and even his ear tips were red. The appearance was both proud but at the same time childish. 

WanQi Yan really wanted to laugh. He used his hand to cover his twitching lips.

“These are all collector’s items. You people don’t have any eyes and don’t understand its collection value.” Zhou YunSheng stuffed the things back into the bag. He picked up all four sides and made a dead knot. Only this way was he satisfied.

Wang Bao was suppressing himself so hard he felt he was getting an internal injury. He was scared that if he said a single world his laughter would burst out so he could only nod his head to agree.

WanQi Yan coughed a few times. Then he said in a serious tone, “These workmanship of these things are very fine and delicate. Just one look and you can tell it comes from a large household. I can see that their value is priceless even now, so in a few years who can tell. The young master has a good eye, this Marquis is very admiring.”

Zhou YunSheng was given a step to come down. So his face became less red and he breathed a bit easier. Only now did he look at WanQi Yan properly and even curved his lips a little towards him.

When the youth didn’t smile he already looked incredibly beautiful, and there was even a type of purity that clung to him, making people open their eyes. But when he smiled it was like a hundred flowers had suddenly bloomed, or the icy snows had suddenly melted, the sun came through the clouds and made anyone looking at him dizzy in the head.

WanQi Yan immediately felt as though he lost his soul. It was as though there was a hammer knocking in his heart “dong-dong-dong”, repeatedly. If not for the maids coming in with food, allowing him to break the spell of the smile, it was unknown if he would have done something embarrassing.

He finally understood why the Regent who always showed no interest in love or beauty, suddenly spent so much effort in obtaining a high identity for the youth. If it were changed to him, he would also want to give everything precious under the sun to the youth, all to obtain one smile from him. When he led the youth into the side chamber to eat, and saw the table covered with chicken dishes, he frowned.

“How come it’s all chicken?” He turned around and asked the attendant.

Wang Bao rushed over to explain, “Replying to the Marquis, this is this servant’s instruction. The little master loves to eat chicken. If he doesn’t eat it for a day he will cry with unhappiness, the appearance is very pitiful. Begging the Marquis to endure it just for one day, tomorrow we will leave.”

It was at this time that WanQi Yan was reminded that the youth would only be staying at his manor for one day. He felt disappointed in his heart and lost his appetite. However the youth who had already begun eating suddenly put down his chopsticks and slapped the table. He said angrily, “Who said I will cry with unhappiness? Isn’t it just chicken? I won’t eat it anymore!”

Zhou YunSheng couldn’t remember how many times he had been angered by others until his face went red.

He also didn’t want to be embarrassing like this. However a fox demon’s nature was like this. They liked to eat, they liked to play, they liked to be beautiful. They also liked to roll around on the sheets. So what could he do?

WanQi Yan saw that he was speaking resolutely but secretly he was still gazing longingly at the roast chicken dishes on the table. His small adam’s apple bobbed up and down, clearly he was swallowing his saliva. When he saw this betraying motion he was filled with the impulse to burst into laughter once more.

Since going to war, and becoming a war god on the battlefield, it had been a long time since he felt this happy and relaxed. The many years of bitter warfare, and several life and death situations, had made his heart filled with darkness and anger. Originally he thought that the world was filled with danger and evil, people’s hurts couldn’t be guessed, living was just passing the time. However once he saw the youth he understood that there were still many interesting and amusing things in the world, and this type of innocence and pureness was worth protecting.

He clenched his fist to suppress the impulse to reach out to pat the youth’s red and tender cheeks. He said hoarsely, “Who doesn’t have some particular likings? The young master likes chicken, and I like fish. I always ask people to make a fish feast, so this is very normal. The little master is a spoiled…”

Realizing that the word “spoiled guest” might offend the young master’s fragile pride, he changed his words.

“That is the little master is an important guest, so it’s only right to treat you carefully. Anything you like just eat it. Today I will invite the young master to eat a chicken feast, another day the young master can accompany me to eat a fish feast. It’s been a long time since I came back to the Imperial City. When I think about fish, I feel very hungry and both my mouth and belly feel it’s difficult to endure.”

Since WanQi Yan provided the opening, Wang Bao also hurried to apologize and Zhou YunSheng was given a step to come down.

Zhou YunSheng nodded “en-en” then continued to eat. He even help put a few dishes in WanQi Yan’s bowl.

This person was very considerate, gentle and generous. He wasn’t as horrible as his image in Zhou YunSheng’s mind. Who knows if he would change after getting to know the female lead. Since it had gotten to this, Zhou YunSheng was willing to help him jump out of the female lead’s pit if he could.

WanQi Yan felt incredibly honored. He finished each dish that the little master gave him. Then he copied Wang Bao and shredded the chicken leg into little pieces, dipped them in sauce and placed it by the little master’s hand to help him eat more easily.

Zhou YunSheng was not a follower of the “eat without talking” school, so he ceaselessly chatted with WanQi Yan about his battle experiences. WanQi Yan was very willing, and picked some amusing and exciting anecdotes to tell him. The two people chatted very happily, the atmosphere was harmonious and smooth. After the meal ended, they had already changed from strangers to being friendly, and it seemed they were very compatible.

After finishing an entire table of chicken, Zhou YunSheng went back to the main hall and sat down on one of the important seats. He rubbed his belly and said, “Come and help me rub it.” After the habitual words fell he remembered that this wasn’t his lover’s manor and his lover wasn’t by his side. He couldn’t help but show a disappointed expression.

Wang Bao was just about to help the little master rub his belly when WanQi Yan suddenly appeared from nowhere. He lightly began rubbing and even used some of his inner energy to make his palms warm. The sensation was very pleasant.

Zhou YunSheng originally wanted to push him aside however after he was rubbed a few times, he changed his mind. He closed his eyes and began to enjoy it.

When Wang Bao saw this proud warrior show a spoiling and gentle expression in his eyes, his smile became strange. It was as though he saw his Lordship’s shadow. In his heart he sighed and thought this really is a fox demon, he was able to mesmerize this “kill without blinking” Marquis in such a short amount of time. Luckily his Lordship wasn’t here, otherwise his jealousy would overflow and the situation would be difficult to control.

As he was thinking, an attendant came into the hall. He reported in a low voice, “Lord Marquis, there is a wandering pugilist warrior outside the door with one of your personal effects. Please take a look.” He showed an eagle-shaped jade pendant that was in his hands.

Wandering warrior? OuYang MingYue?

Zhou YunSheng immediately ordered his eyes. He ordered, “Let her in.” {T/N: the word for him/her sounds the same when spoken out loud.} He really wanted to see how far these two’s relationship had gotten. If in this life WanQi Yan was still destined to fall under her spell and betray the Regent, then perhaps it was better to get rid of him right here and now.

WanQi Yan had no idea that the youth was considering taking off his head. He waved his hand and instructed to the attendant to invite the guest in.

“The Lord Marquis has just returned to the Imperial City, how did you meet a wandering warrior?” Zhou YunSheng inquired.

“A few days ago my horse got a scare and nearly ran over an old person. They were saved by this warrior. I saw that his martial arts was very good and his personality was straight-forward and noble, so I invited him for a drink at a nearby inn to express my thanks. While drunk I gave my personal pendant to him.”  As Wan QiYan explained, he couldn’t help but think that he had acted a bit impulsively, and felt some distance from the person who had come.

So they had just met. That meant this person could still be saved.

Zhou YunSheng nodded his head and retracted his killing intent.

25