Chapter 4: The Path of Fate, Part II
272 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Layla’s… impulsive… race change aside, are we going to strategize at all about these ‘Options’?” Rory stared at the panel in front of him, then looked up to the others, “What if we end up bollocking ourselves by not having a balanced lot?

“My next set is class selection. Looks like I’ve got one basic and a few more exotic choices, but they’ll eat my charge,” Erin replied and spun the panel around so the others could look.

Erin Amanda Ward, Chosen of Ouroboros

Please select your starting Class.

Warrior: A stalwart combatant, skilled with arms and armor.
Good Health, Moderate Stamina, Poor Mana.

Dreadnought: A titan enfolded in steel, both hammer and anvil.
Superior Health, Moderate Stamina, Terrible Mana.

Guardian: A defensive specialist, master of the shield.
Good Health, Good Stamina, Moderate Mana.

Runeblade: A magic knight, wielding a ritually enchanted weapon.
Good Health, Poor Stamina, Good Mana.

Choose your class.

“Wow, no berserker. I wouldn’t have bet on that,” Jack grinned at her.
“Maybe I’m less angry than you think,” she huffed back at him.
“Pfft. Not likely,” Layla joined in teasing her.
“So, what do we think?” Erin tried to wrangle the conversation back on topic.
“Dreadnought seems like your bit. You don’t particularly care for magic,” Rory chimed in.
That seemed to crystallize Erin’s opinion, and she slapped at the panel, releasing a powerful green flare of light.

Your charge has been expended during Class selection.

Class: Dreadnought (Martial)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Strength, Vitality, Will
Key Skills: Block, Brawling, Brawn, Fortitude, Grappling, Mettle, Thrown
Armored Bulwark: You can use your Armor instead of a shield to make Block defensive actions.
Iron Juggernaut: Add your Armor defense modifier to your Brawling damage, as though it were a bludgeoning weapon. On a critical hit, you cause the Push ailment.
Martial Arts: You gain the Charge and Tower tier one martial arts.

You have been assigned Laborer as your secondary class.

Class: Laborer (Job)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Strength, Vitality
Key Skills: Brawn, Craft (Mason, Shipwright, Tanner), Endurance, Profession (Farmer, Logger, Miller, Miner), Run
Strong Back: Increase your carry weight by your Endurance ranks.
Long Days: Decrease Stamina loss from fatigue and forced marches.

Your previous life has granted you the following additional Skills: Acrobatics, Jump, Leadership, Ride, and Swim. Additional Skills are not linked to your classes and do not grant class experience.

You have been assigned the Sign of Iron.

“It made me a Laborer!?” Erin goggled at the screen.
Jack glanced up, “Yeah, but it looks like it’s got some synergy there. Maybe it’ll help with wearing a lot of armor?”
“Oh. I guess,” Erin grumbled, “What about you? Whatcha got?”

Jackson Avery Holt, Chosen of Ouroboros

Please select your starting Class.

Warrior: A stalwart combatant, skilled with arms and armor.
Good Health, Moderate Stamina, Poor Mana.

Bladedancer: An agile fighter trained in magic, as much an artist as a combatant.
Moderate Health, Good Stamina, Good Mana.

Nightbringer: A reaper clad in steel, focused on arms and Night magica.
Good Health, Moderate Stamina, Good Mana.

Paladin: A soldier of the Day, equally skilled with arms or holy magica.
Good Health, Poor Stamina, Good Mana.

Choose your class.

He looked over the list for a moment, “Looks like I’m stuck with either the basic Warrior class or some kind of hybrid.”
“I vote anything but Paladin,” Layla chimed in.
After a puzzled moment, the light bulb came on, “Oh, cause of your holy magic thing! I would never-”
“All the same, Jack, I’d rather you not focus on the easiest way to PVP me,” she looked genuinely worried.
“C’mon, El. You know I’d never. But sure, I’ll pick something else,” he smiled warmly at her.
“Thanks, Jack,” she smiled pointy teeth as her new tail swished back and forth.
“I wonder what ‘Night’ magic is, though.”
“You dorks, I swear. Just touch it and a little screen pops up. It’s literally click here for more information,” Layla groaned at him.

Night Magica
One of the seven primal elements of Mana, representing darkness and death. Night magica can be used to dim lights, create darkness, raise creatures as undead, and afflict the living with powerful ailments.

Night contributes to the Balefire, Frost, Pestilence, Twilight, Venom, and Vitriol hybrid elements.

“Oh. So, it’s like a death knight sorta thing,” his mouth slowly turned up at the edges. He punched the panel and a shimmer of green light brought a new screen.

Your charge has been expended during Class selection.

Class: Nightbringer (Martial/Magica)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Strength, Mind, Will
Key Skills: All Heavy and Superheavy Weapons, Fortitude, Intimidate, Night, Parry
Hungry Steel: Add your Night magica skill ranks to your heavy and superheavy weapon damage.
Martial Arts: You gain the Crooked Hew tier one martial art.
Spells: You gain the Shadow Dart (Night) and Withering Blade (Night) spells.

You have been assigned Cook as your secondary class.

Class: Cook (Job)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Agility, Mind

Key Skills: Appraise, Craft (Brewer, Cook), Haggle, Knives, Observe
Nose for Trouble: You can use your sense of smell to Observe.
Refined Palette: Increased chance to succeed on Craft Brewer and Cook tasks.

Your previous life has granted you the following additional Skills: Bushcraft, Hunter, Medicine, Skinner, and Sneak. Additional Skills are not linked to your classes and do not grant class experience.

You have been assigned the Sign of Nightfall.

“This is the price I pay for letting my mom teach me to cook when I was a kid,” he groaned.
“Oh, you’re in for it buddy. You’re gonna make so many pancakes,” Erin squealed in delight.
“I’m a dark knight of doom and death, and you think I’m gonna make pancakes?” he smiled.
“Yes. So many pancakes,” she cackled.
“Yeah mate, pancakes all round,” Rory pitched in.
“Alright, alright. What are you working with over there?” Jack abruptly changed the subject.

Rory Elliot Poole, Chosen of Ouroboros

Please select your starting Class.

Mage: A scholar of magic, focused on the study of mana in all it’s forms.
Poor Health, Poor Stamina, Superior Mana

Vandal: A cunning rake, dedicated to the courtly arts as much as the illicit ones.
Moderate Health, Moderate Stamina, Poor Mana.

Infiltrator: A thief of secrets and trust, able to pose as anyone, at any time.
Poor Health, Good Stamina, Good Mana.

Legate: A leader of men and folk, as deadly with a pen or spoken word as with a dueling blade.
Moderate Health, Moderate Stamina, Poor Mana.

Sage: A student of lore, knower of things and secrets.
Poor Health, Moderate Stamina, Good Mana.

Choose your class.

“Seems I have two basics,” he replied, “and some pretty interesting alternatives. Believe I’ll hold on to my charge for now,” he tapped the panel and a green flash revealed his class layout.

Class: Vandal (Martial)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Agility, Guile, Mind
Key Skills: All Light weapons, Charm, Deceive, Dodge, Fence, Gossip, Intimidate, Listen
Martial Arts: You gain the Foil and Gambit tier one martial arts.
Not Worth Your Time (Courtly Art): Charm or Intimidate an enemy in combat, attempting to convince them you’re not worth the effort. Damages Spirit.
Roll the Dice: When you score a critical hit, deal additional damage.

You have been assigned Merchant as your secondary class.

Class: Merchant (Job)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Guile, Mind, Will
Key Skills: Appraise, Haggle, Intuit, Persuade, Observe, Scavenge
Bottom Line: Increased chance to succeed on Appraise and Haggle tasks.
Fair Trade: You can spend a day wandering any market up to a small town or city district in size, after which you become familiar with the pricing, supply, and demand of any goods traded there.

Your previous life has granted you the following additional Skills: Gambler, Law, Leadership, Musician (Piano), and Protocol. Additional Skills are not linked to your classes and do not grant class experience.

You have been assigned the Superior Sign of the Reason. Your charge has been expended during Signs and Portents. Increased chance to succeed on tasks related to the Mind attribute.

“That seems a little on the nose, you being a merchant. Don’t you work in sales?” Layla asked him.
“Notice it’s giving us secondaries that fit our skills?” he replied. “Looks like I got an extra bit for saving my charge.”
She just frowned at him, “I only have the two basic entries.”

Layla Skye Wolfe, Chosen of Ouroboros

Please select your starting Class.

Mage: A scholar of magic, focused on the study of mana in all it’s forms.
Poor Health, Poor Stamina, Superior Mana

Thief: A sly and subtle rogue, master of the double-cross and the ambush.
Poor Health, Moderate Stamina, Poor Mana.

Choose your class.

“As if I’d pick anything other than mage,” she harumphed, “Real, actual magic, and I’m gonna choose pick pockets and open locks as my career. Pppthththbbbbttt-” She blew a raspberry at Rory, who returned the gesture with a smile and stuck out the tip of his tongue.

Class: Mage (Magica)
Class Level: 1
Key Attributes: Guile, Mind, Will
Key Skills: All elements and hybrid magica, Arcanum, Lore, Meditate
Spells: You gain the Bewitch (Wind), Ill Wind (Wind), and Stumble (Puppetry) tier one spells.

You have already selected Succubus (Demon) as your secondary class.

Your previous life has granted you the following additional Skills: Auditor, Engineering, and Fortitude. Fortitude has gained the Pain Tolerance upgrade. Additional Skills are not linked to your classes and do not grant class experience.

You have been assigned the Sign of the Sisters.

As Layla made her choice, and the flash of green light subsided, the four obelisks rapidly sank into the dais, melting away like sandcastles taken by the tide. In their place rose four ironbound chests of good size.
“Hey, presents!” Layla and Erin shouted together and laughed as they dove into the boxes. Inside were tunics and breeches, undergarments, backpacks with basic wilderness supplies, hardtack biscuits and a waterskin, and basic equipment for each of their roles. Erin’s chest was primarily filled with a bulky suit of blackened steel armor, thick plates hammered and pinned together. Jack’s box had a much lighter suit of half-plate and a sturdily built longsword, which he hefted in two hands and gave a wide sweeping swing. Rory’s box contained a beautiful supple set of leathers and other finery, and a superbly crafted quillion dagger. Finally, Layla’s chest contained no gear save an exquisite white silk chemise and a gorgeous red and black gown.

“Guess they’ve pretty much got my number down,” she waggled her eyebrows at Erin.
“Yeah, you’re clearly meant to twerk the monsters to death,” she laughed back.

In the distance, through the darkness of the cave, a vertical slash of daylight appeared in the rock face, slowly growing wider as the cave seemed to yawn open into the new world of Ayrgard.
“I think think the intro cut scene is over guys.”

11