Part 3: Safety.
535 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After walking along the beaten path for a while, the clouds start getting darker.

Yeah, it's totally about to rain. Hopefully we can find some fruit, because I'm really looking forward to tasting another worlds food.

"Uh, Annelia, we're gonna be able to find some fruit before the storm comes out, right?"

"Yep! Just keep following me, we're close to a good foraging spot now!"

The path has been getting more visible, and I've seen a few rabbits, and squirrels. Birds too.

Look, I've got no idea what the animals on this planet are called, so I'm just using the closest thing that matches them.

The rabbits have really long tails, and short, round ears. Birds are pretty much the same I'm used to, but I swear I've seen them change color.

The squirrel-looking things don't have a bushy tail like those on Earth, it's just long and curled up. They are a LOT faster, too.

I wish my inspection would tell me what things are, but when I use it on plants, it just says "Grass." or "Flower."

Yes. I know it's an "Animal." Thanks, ability. Very descriptive.

Maybe I need to level it up? Probably. It doesn't get any experience by just using it, so I've got no idea how to do that.

We're walking up to an ancient looking cobblestone fence. This place is beautiful, by the way.

"Right, then we go... East from here. Let's go."

I've got no clue how she can figure out directions so fast. Maybe it's a skill? Something like, "Navigation", or something.

I'd ask but I'm out of questions, and I intend to hold myself up to that.

Walking a bit further along the dilapidated fence, we head off the path for a bit.

Looks like a small eucalyptus tree, but with dark brown bark. There are green and yellow fruits hanging down from the ends of its branches.

She reaches up and grabs one of the bigger ones.

"Here. This is an Agelo fruit. It's ripe when the bottom is yellow, like this."

She says, handing me one. It's a lot heavier than I thought it would be, and it's very smooth. Almost completely spherical. The top is green.

The tree in question has leaves that split into two ends, and one end has three spikes on it. Really odd leaf, if you ask me.

"So... Uh..."

"Yes. You can eat the fruit. Are you still worried about askin' me questions?"

"Yesh."

Oh, I put the fruit in my mouth as soon as I heard "you can eat", it is SO GOOD. Like fake strawberry and banana candy combined, but with the texture of a honeycrisp apple.

"You know, you can still ask me questions. I really wont mind! ... Are you okay? You're cryin'."

Oh. Damn, was it really that good?

...

"I'm sorry, I just haven't really... Eaten anything like this for years. I could never afford to. I'm just so happy."

"You must have had it rough on Earth, huh. You don't gotta be sorry for cryin'. I'm not gonna ask about what was goin' on in your last life. Learned not to open that bag of worms from the first transmigrator."

...

"Thank you. So uh... Can I have some more?"

"Of course! But you're gonna help with bringin' some back with that fancy item box of yours!"

"Deahl."

"So how big is that item box, anyway? I've never seen a god-grade one."

Well, I'm stuffing my face right now, so I'll go ahead and just open it.

Ah, right. I can usually just say whatever in my head, and as long as it's similar to what ability I wanted to use it will happen.

'[Box]'

\\\
INVENTORY

Slots : 0/16
===
---\\
---//

'[Share]'

"Oh, sixteen slots? That's less that I was expectin'. Would you mind givin' me permission to put items in there? It's [Permission]."

"That'sh pretty... Hmhm. That's pretty concise, thought there would be some weird menu navigation."

Swallow. It's not going anywhere, Carrig. Take your time.

"Nah. Skills are pretty simple, and pretty much always do what you want, as long as you're thinkin' about what you want it to do."

"Oh, so that's why I can just say [Box]. Learning something new every day. Uh, every few minutes."

'[Permisson]'

Looks like a little door appeared on the panel in front of her. Ah, she tossed an agelo in there.

'[Box]'

\\\
INVENTORY

Slots : 1/16
===
---\\
Agelo : 1 <Compression : 3%> <Weight : 218 Grams>
---//

Huh. I feel like I'm carrying something, but I can't tell where. Is this just adding the weight of my inventory to my own?

That's really cool, actually. Couldn't I train with this, or something?

Ah, right. I wonder if she knows what that compression thing is about.

I look over towards her to ask about it and...

... Nope. She looks just as confused as I am. Hand on her chin and everything.

"Just try chucking more fruit in there, it probably wouldn't hurt. But uh, sorry if they get squished. Or something."

"Alright! I'll do just that."

She says, placing one more fruit into the light grey opening on the panel.

'[Box]'

Slots : 1/16
===
---\\
Agelo : 2 <Compression : 6%> <Weight : 423 Grams>
---//

She takes a fruit back out of the box, and it looks just like it did a whole six seconds ago. That's a win in my book.

"Hmm... Well, It'll probably be fine, so I'll just toss more fruits in there for now. Let me know if it gets too heavy!"

I give her a nod of approval, because of course, I am still stuffing my face.

After a about two minutes of picking fruit, I can start to feel the weight. Honestly, it's so much better than carrying stuff by back, or hands.

Having weight distributed through your body like this item box does feels so much better than something digging into your skin.

I'm just a bit worried that it will put weight on muscles that really can't take it. Like my eyelids.

...

That's stupid. Of course it's not doing that.

"Okay! Let's get a move on, we should go straight to the hamlet for now. That storm's lookin' pretty close."

"Sure, but if there's any more kinds of food on the way, could you show me? I don't think many things on this planet are similar to mine."

"As long as you're willin' to carry it!"

"Thank you. If there's anything that needs to be done at the hamlet I will absolutely help out."

She gives a thumbs up, and gestures to the left of a split path in front of us.

"Hamlet's this way. There's some blueberry vines growin' along the fence up ahead, we can grab some if we're quick."

"Oh, blueberries? Are they the ones I'm thinking of?"

"Probably not, last transmigrator I brought through here said they were a lot more "oblong" than usual. He was pretty smug about it. Ah, and you gotta pick the skin off of 'em if you don't like bitter stuff. Forgot to tell the last guy."

"... I get the feeling you didn't forget."

...

She's terrible at whistling. I didn't know people actually did that, though. Whistling when they get caught telling a lie.

Pretty cute, actually. Not gonna lie.

I can hear thunder in the distance. I've missed that sound so much.

Droughts suck. Storms were one of the only things that would get me to sleep as a kid.

We continue walkin' and talkin'.

"That sounds bad. Let's hurry up, we can still grab a hand-full of blueberries though."

"You are the best."

"Hehe! Don't blame me if you get soaked!"

"Pretty sure nobody here would dislike that."

Oops. I didn't mean to actually say that. She's looking at me with a stink eye.

"... Yeah, I'm gettin' pretty scared about introducin' you to my husband."

"Sorry. I blame Atman. Ever since he fixed my soul, thoughts have been slipping out like that."

"Just... Keep the flirting to a minimum around him."

"Right. He's not off limits though, right?"

"Yes! He's off limits! Don't flirt with either of us!"

Ah. Poked a bit too much. She looks frustrated.

"... Sorry. That one was actually me."

"Hmph! We have an awning, so stay under that when we get to my house. I'll get you a shirt before you go inside."

"Thank you. I swear, I've never acted like this before today. I hope I'm not making you upset."

"Ahh, you're not. I'm just not used to transmigrators like you. Besides, I thought sex was taboo on Earth."

Taboo? Well, I guess so. Is sex something that's more acceptable to talk about in this world?

"I wouldn't know. I was never around people all that much, but I did think that whole "Dense Protagonist" thing was dumb as hell."

I say, trying to change the topic. I'm still a bit uncomfortable about sex.

"Oh, the first few guys I guided were super dense. One of them made a girl up at our hamlet so frustrated she slapped his dumbass."

"What the hell? That sounds really mean. Did he just lead her on or something?"

"Yeah, pretty much. Dunno why most of you guys from earth hate being open with stuff. Seems like y'all could be a lot happier."

Ah. Little hard to be happy on Earth.

"Well, yeah. People could have been a lot happier. But don't forget who runs Earth. There were a lot more people who would gladly hurt others than love them."

"That sounds terrible! Ah. I said somethin' insensitive, didn't I? Sorry."

I really would like to forget about Earth in its entirety, but that can't happen. I just have to push them out with new memories.

"It's fine, don't worry about it. Besides, things can literally only go up for me."

"Jeez, when you say it like that, it just kinda depresses me."

...

Ah. I felt some rain.

"Darn, looks like we shoulda been a bit faster. Well, the blueberry vines are just up there, if you still feel like tryin' some."

She says, trying to lighten the mood that I had just pile driven into the dirt.

Lesson learned.

"Now that I think about it, do most transmigrators and reincarnators frustrate people? Like, romantically."

"You would not believe how many stories I hear about that. My friends travel around a lot, and they always hear gossip about how people from Earth never take hints."

"Would you mind telling me a few later on? I wanna learn what NOT to do."

"Heh! Smart. I swear, it's like they think that askin' someone they like to have sex with them will drive 'em away forever."

"Ooooh. That's what you meant. Well, I can confirm that they do indeed think that. Probably."

"So people from Earth are just timid, or something?"

"You probably shouldn't take my word for it. I wasn't very social back then, I just read a lot of novels."

"Well, I think you'll like it here. From what I can tell, people here are a lot more accepting than people on Earth. Ah, here's the blueberry vine. Grab a few, quickly. The gate is just up here."

These are like... Long blueberries. They feel thick, and are pretty heavy.

'[Box]'

Slots : 1/16
===
---\\
Agelo : 32 <Compression : 45%> <Weight : 4 Kilograms>
Northern Blueberry : 3 <Compression : 8%> <Weight : 5 Grams>
---//

Hmm... Wait a sec.

"Hey, Annelia? How much does thirty agelos usually weigh?"

"Hm? Uhh.... About 6 Kilos? Sorry, our scale has been a bit busted recently, gotta save up for a new one."

"So there's thirty two in my item box, and it's saying it weighs 4 kilos. Did you pick light ones, or something?"

"Nope. I know which ones to pick, so they should all be around the same weight. Wanna weigh them when we get to my house?"

"Sure. If your scale says anything above 4 kilos I'll have a pretty solid idea of what <Compression> does."

"Okay! Sounds good! ... Jeez, it's really pourin'. The gates just up here, let's hurry."

She starts walking faster, not fast enough to call it a jog, but it's some pretty fast walking.

We walk up to a large wooden gate, with a guards post to the right of the door.

There seems to be a decently sized fence surrounding this hamlet, but I can't see cause of the rain.

"Hiya Denn! You stayin' dry?"

She shouts at the man in the guard post. He's wearing an iron helmet, and a leather chest plate. I can see a spear propped against the wall behind him.

"Hey, Annelie. Well, I was. Now I gotta let you in."

"Sorry! I'll give you some agelos later! I brought a bunch thanks to our new friend here!"

"Oh, an item box, I bet. Right, doors open. Y'all head on in-"

I think he noticed me. He has completely frozen in his tracks. A soaking wet elf does that to people, apparently.

"We gotta run! Bye, Denn! Stay safe!"

She says, sprinting passed the gate.

"..."

"Thank you."

I say, doing the same.

Please snap out of it soon, I would feel terrible if he gets drenched because of me.

... Pfft. That would have a dirtier meaning if he were a girl.

"C'mon! My house is right up here."

My absurd thoughts are thankfully interrupted.

I can see a few lanterns lighting up the porch. The fires in them look odd... But it might just be the visibility.

"Okay! This one's my house."

We step under the awning, and I can hear just how heavy the rain is. So calming.

"Alright, Carrig. You stay here for a bit, I'll go get you a shirt."

"Thank you. Take your time, It's nice out."

"... I honestly can't tell if that was sarcasm or not."

"It wasn't."

Man, I could look at the rain drip off of this awning forever. The lanterns in the distance hidden by fog still give off a bit of visible light.

"... Okay? Well... I'll be right back."

She unlocks her door, and steps inside after shaking off a bit of water.

...

I close my eyes to enjoy the sounds. I'm not really cold, despite being soaked, and shirtless, but I would appreciate warming up.

I wonder if they have a fireplace?

Well, it looks like a log cabin, so probably. Maybe they'll let me sleep in front of it.

It's been a while since I've done that. Last time was during a powerless winter, and we cooked potatoes in the fireplace.

I hope my mom is happy. Whoever she's reincarnated as.

...

I really want to sleep. It's been such a long day. I've got nothing to do but wait right now... Maybe I should stretch?

Link my hands, raise above head, palms up... Hold for 15 seconds...

I'm gonna bend back slowly. Wonder how flexible I am.

Whoa.

Holy shit. I went all the way back. My balance is incredible, and it's so easy to stay on my hands.

Ah. My stomach is straight up in the air. I better stand back up. Don't wanna surprise Annelie again.

...

Can I do splits? Actually, stop that thought right now. Don't tempt fate.

I know exactly what's gonna happen if I do that. Annelie opens the door, and gets an eye full of my ass in a full split.

That would probably make her angry, considering she told me to stop flirting with her literally fifteen minutes ago.

The door swings open.

"Found you a shirt! It might be a little big."

"I'm not worried about that, it's a free shirt. I would literally never be upset with that."

"D'aww. Alright, hurry up and put it on. You look cold, and we've got a fire goin'."

"Thank you. Ah, I wanted to ask if there was an inn around here."

I say, putting on the white t-shirt that was given to me.

... Wait a sec. Isn't this a bad idea? White shirts and water usually don't go well together.

"An inn? Nope, not in our li'l hamlet. But we're gonna let you stay over for tonight, since it's rainin'."

"That's very kind of you. Thank you."

"Don't mention it! Remember, be on your best behavior. It'll be your own fault if me and him are noisy tonight."

That's a pretty good point. Really blunt, though.

"I will."

... Would probably be one of the better sounds I've had to sleep through, though. Thanks, scuzzy-ass old neighborhood.

Carrig. Whatever you do. Do NOT. Say that. Out loud.

She gestures for me to come inside.

It's warm in here. The walls are logs, and the ceiling is angled.

There's a wooden chandelier hanging down over a dining table to the right, and a kitchen behind it.

To the left, a living room. Green sofa, recliner, and rug. It has little tree patterns on it, and they have a coffee table that looks like it was cut from a log.

Potted plants, end tables with lamps on them. All around rustic, and very comfortable.

I assume there's a bathroom at the end of that hallway, as well as a bedroom.

There are windows near the dining table, and end tables. The centerpiece of the living room is- You guessed it- The fireplace.

So comfortable. I actually feel safe here. It's been a long time since I've felt safe somewhere around other people.

... Even if they are perverts.

"Well? What do you think? Cozy, right?"

"This is literally the best house I have ever been in. Can I live here?"

"Ahhh... Well... There wouldn't be enough room, But! There's some houses for sale in a nearby town!"

"If they're anything similar to this, I think they will be way too expensive for me."

"Don't worry about money, the adventurer's guild pays a ton if you help out with huntin' monsters nearby."

"So things like those cute little jelly cubes? I'm gonna be homeless."

"No, that town has a goblin problem. They keep destroying farmland, and they've been looking for someone to help get rid of the nests."

"Goblins? ... If they're anything like the goblins I've read about, I'm going to be terrified of them."

"You know, the last guy I guided had problems with goblins too. What's so bad about them in your world?"

"They aren't actually real there, But there's this little novel called goblin slayer...-"

I hear a door open somewhere in the direction of the kitchen.

"Actually, hold that thought for now. My husband's about done with dinner prep."

Walking into the dining room is a short, stout man. Shorter than Annelie, dark brown hair.

Honestly, it looks like he could bench press a horse. He reminds me of a fantasy dwarf, but he's missing the beard.

"Hey. You must be the new transmigrator she was in a hurry to get."

"Hello. It's nice to meet you, sir. My name is Carrig."

"Sir? Heh. Name's Rook. You must've gotten drenched, go warm up by the fire and we'll make dinner."

The shirt has done wonders.

"Thank you. Oh, I've got a bunch of agelos in my item box, want me to put those anywhere?"

"Sure."

He turns towards his wife, with his hand on his neck.

"Hey hon, show him where we put stuff."

"Alrighty! C'mon, pantry's over here."

She gestures towards the kitchen. That must have been where Rook was hiding.

"You wanted to use the scale, right? Put them in this basket, and I'll see how much they weigh."

"Gotcha."

I open up my box and start taking agelos out two at a time. Here's hoping <Compression> is what I think it is.

Keeping my eye on the weight in total, I notice that the first few agelos give much more <Compression> than the last few.

She takes the basket full of fruit and places it on the scale. It's an antique one, just a plate with a gauge underneath it.

"Hmm... Yep, around 7 kilos. Do you know what <Compression> does now?"

"I think if I have a lot of the same thing, it gets lighter. One agelo was three percent, two was six percent. It has a soft cap at around forty percent."

"Soft cap? Oh, like the more you have of it the less it builds up. Gotcha! That sounds really nice! It probably gets better as you level it up, too."

"I wonder if it will just cancel out weight entirely at rank ninety nine? Ah, I'll stop bugging you. Would it be okay for me to go sit down by the fire now?"

"Of course! We're not gonna make you help out while you're drenched. I've gotta change, too. We'll call you when dinner is ready."

"You sure feed me a lot. Thank you very much."

She smiles, and heads towards the hallway. I walk passed the kitchen and see Rook handling some kind of meat.

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to recognize it even if it were meat from Earth.

Smells good, though.

The living room is warm. I'd rather not sit on the couch and get it wet, so I sit on the rug in front of the fire.

...

Ah crap. I'm gonna fall asleep.

Right. I should try those berries. She said they were bitter, so maybe they'll keep me awake.

I open up my item box and grab the three that were in there. They're pretty heavy for blueberries, now that I notice it.

Nom.

...

Hm. It's pretty intense, and makes my cheeks feel like they're rising. Super bitter.

Reminds me of when my mom let me try coffee.

I hate to say this, but this would go pretty well with rice. Just... Actually, fuck that. I'm never eating rice again.

... Unless someone cooks it for me.

I'll try it without the skin now.

...?

How in the hell do I peel this?

Whatever, I'll just use my teeth.

"Pfftht."

Bad idea. Oh god, that's actually bitter as hell. The berry itself must have been helping it not be awful.

Well, the skins gone. I ate it anyway. The inside of this berry reminds me of peeled grapes.

It's sweet. I could snack on these all night.

Aw, damn it. I've only got one left.

Well, I'll just eat it with the skin. Still pretty good.

... Sigh.

The crackling fire is not helping the "Incredibly sleepy Carrig" problem.

Neither is the rain. Or the thunder. Crap.

Well, I guess I'll lay down... and rest for a bit... I trust these people.

...

This rug is more comfortable than my old bed.

ive gotten terrible sleep for the past 4 days, please let me know if theres any typos or inconsistencies

11