Arc I: Forgotten Mountain
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten Mountains

1820Y 09M04D 1800H

As they fell Mat did everything he could to keep the rampaging mutant below him, rolling off edge after edge till they hit a wider bridge.

He stood up; look at the mutant its eyes bleeding from the flash — it started to convulses where it lays.

He stood up but pain race through feeling a few fractured bones breaking further made fall to his knees.

He started breathing normally and get used to the pain. Visibility is low but he found a rock. 'This will do.' He thought to himself, lifting it then he started hammering the mutants head till it ceased to move.

"Azaleah," he uttered in a low painful voice, 'Out of reach' started flashing on his HUD.

Stared at the dead mutant beside him, saw one of its bones splintered off the flesh. He took the rock again; started pounding the mutants' arm off, laboring to get that bone. 'Acquired Mutant Bone... Eh, Dagger,' Grinning at the idea of his weapon.

He looked up and realize someone is calling him. "Hey, mister ya alright?" Her voice echoing throughout the chasm.

"I'm fine," He shouted back. "You?"

"Am okay!" She answered. "Ya wait there now, Am gonna go save ya."

"No! just focus on getting out of her. I'll be doing the same!" He looks around for an exit. "Now go, I'll see you outside!."

"Kay, I'll wait for ya! Take care, now!" Her parting words to him.

'I'll come for you, I promise.'

. . .

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten Mountains

1820Y 09M08D 1100H

It has been days, since he started trying to survive the lower labyrinth of the Forgotten Mountains. Finally, he felt a slight breeze and a faint glimmer of hope.

'Light,' Panting as he runs towards it, trying to ignore the mob behind him that has been hunting him down for hours.

As he was about at the mouth of the cave, a splitting tunnel appeared on his side camouflage by the shadows and contour of the wall, at the corner of his eye a mutant came lunging at him. He twisted his body to face the mutant, blocking its arms its claws just about his neck.

They rolled towards the exit.

A boulder stopped their momentum. The creature raised its claws but Mat hit its face with a glistening rock making it face — the midday sun. It growled in agony as it scratch its eyes, he kicked it away then pierced its jaw with the mutant bone then forcing it towards the brain.

He slump on the grass, feeling the soft wind and the warmth of the sun on his skin. First, respite since coming to this forsaken place. His eyes blur as he looked towards the cave, a mob was forming looking at him menacingly.

He took a deep breath. "System... Character... Status." Opening up a console, indicating his vital signs and medical condition. Coughs as he half-consciously read through the screen. 'Fatigued, few fractured bones, blood loss. Looks like I'm going pass out anytime soon.' .

'I need to move away, can't stop here... need to get to town before noon.' Dragged himself up, as he moved towards his destination.

. . .

The Proving Grounds:  Forgotten City; Downtown, Outskirts

1820Y 09M08D 1800H

He kept walking towards the compass direction barely unaware of the surroundings. Growls came from the mountain behind him. Realized it is getting dark, he tried to traverse faster but tripped on a expose root, landing flat on his stomach. Lurches forward and focuses, lights started popping up beyond the tree line.

'That's probably the town.' Reeled as he force himself to get up.

The growls are getting louder and louder by the minute, but the lights are not getting any nearer. Desperate, he looks around hoping to find somewhere to hide before he passes out or gets killed.

He already got this far, just on sheer determination alone. He just can not die and revive somewhere unknown and start over again. Dying will reset his location, re-spawning randomly; making his mapped area insignificant.

He looked at his map where he lost Azaleah and the labyrinthian mess he went through to get out of there.

'I need to get back there,' Reminding and giving himself enough motivation to pull through. Just a few strides ahead there is a hollowed tree trunk, as the night is getting darker and the growls getting nearer it was his only hope.

Hope was just about arms reach when his vision suddenly blurred and his knees gave out. Collapse on the ground he could feel his consciousness fading.

'I don't need to think, I don't need to see, safety is just in front of me, all I need to do is move.' Repeating as he drags himself towards his destination.

A huge roar came from behind him but he got no strength to check, he is already giving everything to move forward.

Few seconds later, a huge crashing sound, a yelp, and the resounding noise of a falling tree ahead, just happened in an instant. He could not understand anything that just transpired. Then, someone came beside him, started tapping and shouting. "Hey, ya need to get up, now."

His senses, still in disarray, but tried to do as he is told.

"Come on now, We need to get us inside!"

He could feel himself getting drag, but could not make out anything that is actually happening. All was anything but a dream. Forced out the rest of his remaining strength to follow the flow of the situation.

"Ya'r heavy! Get in — side! Umpf!!"

Hearing a voice just beside his ear. 'A girl!? Sounds... familiar.'

"Door," The girl shouted.

Then suddenly the growls got heavier, thrashing, banging... His eardrums almost broke from her scream but he couldn't see anything it was dark then darker then nothing.

1