Chapter 4: Huntress
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten Mountains

1820Y 09M12D 0700H

He opened up his inventory console, double-checking as they come near the cave entrance.

INVENTORY

Weapon:

•Great War Hammer

•Hatch Shield

Armor:

•Black Warden Set

•Black Wolf Skin Mantle

•Heart of Colossus

Misc:

•Leather Bag

•Torch

•Reinforced Mutant Bone

•First Aid

•Provisions

Money:

•5c

There is a holographic sign blocking the entrance. 'WARNING: Area will convert to a Dungeon once entered.'

"Ah don't like, w'at it say's." She tugged at his mantle. Mat faced her then puts his hands on her shoulder. "Stay here with the wagon, it will be safer."

"But..."

"I'll keep in touch, don't worry." Patting her head.

She knew she will just get in the way but still... "Take care now, I'll be waitin' for ya, right here." Still not letting go of his mantle.

"Don't worry," He repeated, took her hand, and put it down gently then slowly turned his back. He put up the map which showed the areas he already discovered, and the red blip where Azaleah's last location was. As he steps inside, cries of agony echoed within the cave. It gave Mhirfa quite a scare.

He pauses for a bit, then continued on.

. . .

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten Mountain, Mutant Lair

1820Y09M12D 0900H

He threw his torch the second he saw a pair of mutants ahead of him. The mutants seemed to evolve, they are bigger than a normal human being and their deformities exceeding from minor protrusion to fully develop extra limbs or other oddities.

He bashed the head of the first one that came afte him cracking its skull. Another one leaped, he parried its body with his shield knocking it towards the wall then followed it with his hammer breaking it in half.

He looked back at the trail of corpses he left behind then trudge towards his destination.

Finally, arrive at the rock bridges, just in front of him was the area where last he saw Azaleah, but there was nothing there.

"Azaleah," He sighed deeply, 'Out of Reach' flashed again, seeing it he continues on his search.

Pass the bridge, he continued deeper, killed a few more till he arrives at the blue fields. A huge mutant showed up and was blocking the path ahead. It started pounding the ground the moment it saw him.

He activated his hammers philosophers' stone making it gyrate, then static electricity started crackling around it.

The mutant enrage, charge at him.

He lowered his stance, shield forward then rushed beneath the monster, sending it tumbling overhead. He turned to strike, but it scrambled away.

The mutant roared, then rushed again towards  swinging its fist. He moves closer to deflect the attack, sending the mutant tumbling on the floral fields.

He raised his hammer, now crackling heavily with electricity; bashed his foe. It looked like lightning struck where his hammer fell, charred the mutants' chest black.

He sat down and rest a little bit staring at the weird glowing flowers when a mail came.

>How are you?

I'm fine, just arrive at the flower fields.

>Oh, the field of glowing blue flowers.

Yes, that field. Resting here for a while.

>Me too, I'm inside the wagon.

I see, sorry, I need to be going.

>Okay, Take Care Now.

I will...

As he gets deeper in the cave, the more evolve the mutants are, some are wielding stolen armaments like clubs. He still manage to pass unscathe by just parry and counter.

"Azaleah," He uttered. A blip on an uncharted part of the map suddenly appeared, just a short distance away from him.

'A Distress Signal.' He hurried towards it.

Ahead he saw a familiar white glow from afar. He put the torch ahead of him and walk closer trying to analyze what the distress signal is for.

"Mat! Help me!" Azaleah shouting from the darkness. He threw his torch ahead and saw that familiar jagged teeth, smiling at the fairy, holding her imprisoned inside a glass bubble. It did not bother to look at him but continued to admire the glass ball.

"Azaleah, Scan and cross reference it with the beastiary."

*Huntress - Unique Monster : most of the time move in packs with a Queen in lead; has tremendous dexterity and senses.*

Azaleah seeing Mat hesitated for a bit got worried. "Well, do something! She held on for me for days! I don't think we can wait out till she gets tired." He just took a deep breath.

He walks up behind it, determined to finish it in a single blow. He raised his hammer, but suddenly it twisted back its head like a disfigured owl looking at him with her hollowed eyes; smiling with jagged teeth.

Startled, he panics and flailed his hammer, hitting nothing but the ground. Taking a defensive stance and frantically looking around.

"Help!" Azaleah called out.

He saw that familiar white light dashing around the dark. He steps closer to his torch while trying to keep track of her. In such short notice, it lunges toward him. He barely blocks the attack; left him reeling. The Huntress turned around in a swift manner and swipe those claws at him. He gave up getting back to stance and let himself fall flat keeping his shield close to him, the claws grazed his shield as he fell and rolled away.

He quickly stood up and regained his footing, but she was nowhere to be seen. He glances at the map.

"Look up!" She shouted. Startled, he instinctively put his shield above him, something crash on it. He pushes it aside then quickly followed it with a hammer but again nothing.

He energized his hammer. "Azaleah, standby!" He ordered.

"Okay!" Her voice echoed throughout the cavern.

He strikes his shield in aggravation "Come on you ugly —," It pounce at him before he could finish.

He blocked its first attack then swung his shield at her, but it jumps away leaving himself open. The mutant immediately launch her claws at him.

"Now, Whiteout!"

Searing white light flashed instantly, making the Huntress miss her mark. Grazed his chest plate, barely missing his neck, then went past him.

He immediately followed with his hammer regardless of his footing, trying to tag her before she scampers away. His armament manages to reach her leg, could not give much force in the swing, but it charred as soon as it made contact. A huge cry came out, then it ran away limping.

"Come back here!" Shouted at her as he grabs his torch and followed her. Just a few steps he took when out of the dark it leaps at him. Caught him by surprise. The Huntress made deep cuts on his leg before it rolled back in the darkness. The torch fell on his feet as his senses began to obscure. 'What is this — poison!?'

He lowered his stance keeping his shield close, hammer at the ready. The Huntress movements slowed down, circling him about with a foreboding smile.

'It looks like she waiting for me to pass out.' Grabbing an antidote from his first aid kit. 'Hope this works.' Scoffs then shouted at the fairy. "Azaleah, standby!" 

"120s more!"

The Huntress reacted, it kept Azaleah's ball close to her stomach as she prowled.

A few moments later, he collapses, laid flat on his stomach.

"Mat!" Azaleah cried out to him.

Limping, the Huntress lurks closer, careful as she moves about him. Grab his hammer and shoved it away as Azaleah kept calling at him. She raised her claws to give the finishing touches when suddenly, he seizes her foot, dragging it towards him. She fell on her back, Mat crawled forward and pinned her down with his shield then started stabbing relentlessly with the Mutant Bone.

The Huntress thrashed about either clawing at him or trying to escape but he didn't give an inch. He kept at it till the creature stopped moving.

His back and sides filled with deep scratches, he rolled to the sides then laid flat on his back, enduring the slight pain.

Azaleah rolled away from the mutants' hand then the bubble broke. She flew straight towards him. "I thought... I thought..." Crying as she slams on his face.

"Not yet, but get me one more bottle of that antidote, I can barely feel myself... anymore." She took a bottle and help him drink it.

"Let me rest for a while, wake me up when there is trouble." Barely conscious, then fell asleep.

"Okay, rest well" She laid on his chest. 'Thank you...'

1