Chapter 100
1.2k 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon watching the apologetic party take their leave, Naell took in a long breath and had a moment of peace. His gaze was directed toward the various grounds of his school. The levitation wasn't too high yet just high enough to see more of the campus' centermost circle, swerving and coiling around the pristine dormitory. That scenery brought him into a daze.

From the grassy portion to its gradual transition to smoothened concrete steps, all of it in its own right, was subtly beautiful. All the while, the steady sail of levitation was making him sleepier than ever.

The marathon itself was intense, participants would start from the serene grass field by the girl's dormitory. They would then traverse out of the school and onto the nearby road of the center circle.

Often it would take 30 mins before one could exit the school due to the competition and the runners' magic and aura.

Yet after leaving school premises, aura and magic would only be used in low volumes to prevent unforeseen accidents or public damage.

After all that, they would then go back to the school via the gentleman's side, circling back to where they started.

Only upon re-entering the school would the students be allowed to use their skills to their fullest like before.

Yet none of that was a concern for Naell. His strategy afterall was to take his time and avoid the rough-housing of competitive spirits. As he closed his eyes, he relaxed as he drifted, not even fearing that he'd float off course as the following path was straight and broad,

'I should do this more oft—'

It was then when the sound of scholarly students behind him, huffing and puffing while running with all their might, slowly reached his ears. Yet it was one familiar voice that caught his attention.

"... Now that's manly." Said Lesjon while levitating casually.

".. I couldn't agree more, but why are you here, young master Lesjon?."

"Please, just call me Lesjon, we're way past that cousin."

"Ah right..."

"..."

To reduce the awkwardness, both of them at the same time coughed and cleared their throats. Lesjon then said,

"Unlike your impression of me that's rather competitive, I'm actually quite chill."

"Chill... I see..."

"Yeah..."

And then a third person arrived.

"Naell, Young master Lesjon."

"You can just call me Lesjon."

The newcomer who spoke was Rizaul, cruising through the course. Unlike other martial artists, he used his aura-coated string to propel himself toward the finish line.

Yet it seemed he was also in no rush to reach the end, as comparable to the cousins, he was also just chilling.

"Hello, Riz. Didn't know you'd participated in track and field."

Naell replied while watching the martial artist exercise his dexterity and strength. He was awestruck at how the half-elf used his aura innovatively.

'Was he always this clever in the novel?'

In truth, their interesting use of magic and aura was all thanks to Naell, as his modern applications of magic set the protagonist's party's ingenuity ablaze.

Unbeknownst to many, Naell's real reason for practicing such forms of magic was to solve any and all earthly inconveniences that could possibly arise at any time.

Although Andrew was from Earth himself, there was still a difference of night and day between a man who'd trained in combat all his life, and a guy who reads all day.

"It seems you are also racing at a chill pace."

"Well, youn— Lesjon, I was just forced to participate as Noisy Note is nowhere to be found."

"Probably with Owly."

"I see."

Perhaps their interaction would have been more calming if Rizaul didn't have such blood-curdling aura seep out from his body.

Yet over time as the race went on, it became apparent that the trio grew much slower. They had grown accustomed to each other's awkward cadence and were now busy chatting about something they all had in common- a novel called, Aruto and not their introversion.

.

.

.

Dawn had just arrived when Naell finally finished his race. Together with Lesjon and Rizaul, they were part of the participants who completed it last.

Yet unlike those who were breathing in relief from their effort, the trio was not even sweating a single drop.

Nonetheless, those who had accomplished the race to the best of their abilities were the ones who were satisfied regardless of their great fatigue.

Meanwhile, the others, who likewise tried to win and failed, were happy if not a bit dissatisfied since they lost. Still, joy lingered amongst them as they were able to show the extent of what they could do.

That was all the more reason that their friends (Andrew and Utua's parties) who were all waiting for them could only smile dryly.

• As expected from that energy saver, HOOT. •

"... That bland elf really isn't the most motivated of people either." Uttered Note.

"Birds of a feather... they've just enabled that smug guy's indolence." Added Septh.

Owly, and the two crossed their arms (and wings) across their chests. Their gaze was that of three fathers who had just caught their sons arriving home late.

As afterall, for the likes of Naell, Lesjon and Rizaul who came last purposefully, they in no way properly experienced the fierce marathon that took place.

"We're back." Said Rizaul to them. He, Naell, and Lesjon were surprised to see their usual groups in one big circle.

Little did they know, it was them and their laziness that managed to form the group.

And to make matters more surprising, in a weird turn of events their gathering had led to a trip to the Royal Palace.

"..."

With the absurdity of what just occurred, (and a while of walking to the most prestigious portion of Taglagas) Naell could still not believe he was there stepping on palace grounds, with them of all people as well.

The staggering castle, which overlooked the whole capital, was no more than a foot away from his body.

Outside the castle its appearance was like that of an old yet sturdy relic; it breathed history and at the same time the changes that had occurred over centuries.

With its towering walls made of stones and even hard mystic wood from the sacred forest of elves, one could see how its exterior, albeit magnificent in looks, was made for defense.

Upon being greeted by everyone, Naell became tired. All servants and visiting nobles alike would bow down as the Princess of Taglagas was guiding them inside.

And sure enough, upon entering, the vast extent of the polished marble beheld his eyes.

Spanning decades or older were the paintings, ornaments, and even knightly armors placed neatly in every hallway.

Yet all were preserved to represent the mighty Taglagas to those who were visiting.

The lamps and their glamorous brightness were added to the charm, and Naell, even with his reluctance to join them, thought it was worth visiting the palace once in his lifetime.

"Impressed?" Said Utua as she peeked at Naell.

Her mischievous smile made it all too endearing. Hence, Naell could only smile wryly thinking the place was matching Utua's radiance afterall.

Upon seeing his reaction, the princess could only pout, sensing his thoughts. He was not the first one who visited the castle and felt this way.

Lesjon heard her and immediately smirked. His apparent smugness irked Utua slightly but instead of complaining, she just let it go. In a way she knew there was no point in dwelling on it as the two similar nobles before her were both odd in their own way.

Of the two cousins, one would just shrug incidents off, taunting you in a way he wasn't even aware of, while the other, would simply put this facade of innocence, yet his face would blatantly say he is annoyed.

"And vice-versa..." said Utua while sighing, making both Lesjon and Naell confused.

After a minute of walking, they arrived at the guest room. For the likes of Namiku, Lesjon and other high-ranking noble friends of theirs, it was normal, yet for Naell and the others, it was too extravagant to be called a room.

It was a place that could house hundreds of beings. Not to mention, it had separate rooms, a second floor, and even a dining area.

The very reason they went there was to of course eat. Utua had invited them for dinner and they all agreed with no reluctance- that is, almost all.

Safe to say, upon seeing the food that was being served, even Naell had become totally on board.

A variety of platters were laid upon the table, begging to be called a feast, ranging from different cuisines which often were only being served to those of higher nobility.

Because of the grandiose gesture, Viola was actually adamant to eat. She was fidgeting as she muttered silently.

"Uhmm, am I allowed to be here..."

Yet when Utua, who had the mysterious power to hear whispers heard that, she beamed and smiled from Viola's cuteness and immediately reacted,

"You're one of my guests, Lady Viola, and to someone as famous as you, cuisines like these should be normal."

That surprised Viola but instead of being an awkward potato like a certain someone else, she responded with a warm grateful smile that soothed everyone at the table.

At that point it was truly undeniable, the protagonist party was well received and known throughout the Autumn Kingdom.

Each of them was even rich enough to retire at that point in time. Not to mention they were all candidates to being named, alongside Utua's party.

Still, the thought had not truly sunken into Naell until that very moment. By then he had already taken a bite of his meal in the palace walls.

Ever since he arrived in Mundo, he had been avoiding the course of the novel, even going so far as to avoid honors bestowed by the King himself. Yet how ironic it now all seemed to him.

As there he now was, taking another bite off his plate, surrounded by some of the most memorable characters he can recall. Sitting within the walls of one of the most iconic settings in Arts and Magic, Naell then gave a long sigh, following it with a smile in surrender. 

Announcement

Volume 1's Drawn Cast: https://www.patreon.com/posts/65136761 ; v ;)

The post is titled "Character Portraits WiP" Under the "Arts" tag at patreon.com/nezothecat . It's free for public viewing and is a work in progress that will soon have every character we've introduced in TNBS thus far!

Thanks for reading everyone!

33