Chapter 4 – The Villainess Meets her New Tutors
8.9k 8 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In my previous life, ‘Resonant Hearts’ was a light novel series popular with high school girls.

The story was set in an exciting fantasy world with swords and magic. The heroine lived her life as a simple townsperson with her mother until she was 14. When she was 14, a monster outbreak occurred within the country with many townspeople caught unprepared. Her own mother was heavily injured and would have died, had the heroine not unleashed her hidden powers and managed to heal her using magic. As magicians were extremely rare and considered a gift to the country, the heroine was invited to the Royal Academy where she would study how to control her powers.

At the Academy, she met the First Prince, Prince Charles, and later fell in love with him due to his kindness. However, the path of their love was filled with many trials and tribulations due to the differences in background and status.

And I, reborn as Mob Character C, watched over the both of them from behind pillars as they overcame challenges one by one, defeating enemies and getting recognised by others, before finally reaching their happily ever after.

… …

“… anna… Lady Liliana…”

“Ngnh… Just a few minutes more…”

I could hear Diana’s voice calling me into consciousness as someone patted me gently on my side. I furrowed my brows and buried deeper under the covers.

“If you don’t wake up soon, you are going to be late for your class,” Diana said curtly.

“No… I’m Mob Character C. Mob characters don’t need to wake up so early…”

There was a moment of silence before Diana asked warily, “Lady Liliana, are you sleep talking?”

“Yes…”

I could hear Diana give a sigh.

Following that, I felt her warm breath close to my exposed ear.

“Didn’t you say you are going to do your best for the Prince?” she whispered.

My eyes immediately snapped open as I was forced to confront the cruel truth.

Although being reincarnated as Mob Character C would have been more than enough for me, I had been reincarnated as the villainess of the story, Liliana Gracia Remington, instead.

Liliana died a pitiful death in the story, but since I had no interest in committing suicide, my life should be safe. Nevertheless, when the Prince falls in love with the heroine and breaks our engagement, I might end up being a useless old maid, so I had decided to improve myself after my visit to the Royal Palace.

I rubbed my drowsy eyes and slowly rolled out of bed.

“Why must I be born as Liliana…?” I grumbled under my breath sleepily.

“There are many girls out there who are envious of you, my lady,” Diana said mildly as she watch me rub my bleary eyes.

Naturally, what Diana was referring to was me being a high ranking noble’s daughter and not as ‘the Liliana of the story’. I have never told anyone of the fact that I have memories of my previous life and it was something I intended to bring into my grave. The last thing I want was to have was ‘crazy’ pegged onto me as well!

“I wonder about that…” I said with a sigh.

Diana lowered her eyes before turning to instruct the other maids who entered the room with her to open the curtains and help with my washing and dressing.

Diana first started serving as my personal maid three years ago after the incident where I fell off the stairs. Looking at her fluid movements and confident voice calling out instructions to the other maids, you would never have guessed how clumsy and uneasy she was when she first came in. Her hair was a black bob back then, and she looked just like zashiki warashi with straight bangs. She started growing it out after a while, and it had now grown into a length that was long enough to be tied up into a ponytail. Not only that, she had also grown up to be tall and slim, with her height reaching around 170 cm.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror as the maids prepared my clothing. I was only slightly over 130 cm but I still have room to grow right? It’s not like I’m jealous of her model like height or anything!

“Lady Liliana, you look like you have something to say,” Diana said as she started brushing my hair while I was seated in front of the vanity table.

“Diana is not cute anymore,” I lamented with a sigh.

Diana stopped her actions and raised an eyebrow as she looked at me from the mirror.

“I am not sure how to feel hearing that coming from a 9-year-old girl. Or rather, I am amazed at how your trail of thought move.”

“Oh ho ho ho! Have you finally figured out my superpower?” I answered as I placed a straightened palm below my mouth, mimicking the action of haughty young ladies I often saw in manga and anime.

“Is this something you learnt from the books your read?” Diana gave a wry smile before she continued brushing. The other maids had left after doing their duties, so there was only the two of us left.

“What kind of hairstyle would you like today?”

“Hmmm… A normal half up will do.”

“Understood.”

I closed as my eyes as I enjoyed the feeling of having fingers run through my hair.

Diana was older than me by eight years - just like my elder brother, so I often thought of her as a sisterly figure as well. When I told this to the person herself, she only gave a wry smile and said that she would give a pass at having such a troublesome younger sister, breaking my heart.

“It is done,” Diana announced as she secured the hair with a pin.

I stood up from the chair and turned to look at the back of my head from the mirror. A simple twist knot had been secured with a white flower pin.

Alright! Looking good.

While trying to hold back a yawn, I asked, “Do you know what is for breakfast today?”

“You will find out when the maids bring in the breakfast later.”

“I want bacon and eggs, bacon and eggs~” I hummed a silly little tune as I stood up and headed out of the room.

Out on the corridor, I leaned on the wooden railing and looked down at the indoor garden where a mini fountain had water bubbling out cheerfully. The sunlight coming in from the glass center on the roof shone down on the leafy green plants, making the whole place bright amidst the tranquillity.

The building I was staying in was shaped similarly to a 50 yen coin with a small indoor garden in the center. Taking up half of the second level was my bedroom with an attached dining area, lounge, as well a bathroom.

Taking up the next quarter of the level was my paradise - my study room that was adjoined to a library.

The last quarter of the level was split into three servant rooms. However, as Diana was my only personal maid, two of the rooms were unused.

Although I was from an above average middle class family in my previous life, my room was nothing compared to this large and beautiful space I had all to myself.

“Lady Liliana, I hear the maids returning. We should return to the dining area soon.”

True enough, the sound of the front doors opening soon came, followed by footsteps of multiple people going through the lobby towards the stairs.

“If only I have hearing as good as Diana…”

“What are you planning to do with an ability like that?”

“That’s why I say you are not cute at all...”

*****

After having my breakfast, I headed out from my house with Diana following close behind.

As I was passing through the garden, a gardener with tanned, leathery skin and silvery white hair looked up from his action of pruning the bushes and waved upon seeing me.

“Good morning, Lady Liliana! Are you heading to the main building?”

“Good morning! Yes, I am,” I answered cheerfully. Although he was at the age where he should be resting at home surrounded by grandkids, the elderly gardener had insisted in continuing his job and was one of the friendliest people I knew.

“You look to be in great condition today. Did something good happen?” The elderly gardener smiled with his eyes crinkling up.

“I am finally starting my Magic lessons with my new tutors today!” I declared triumphantly.

This was the result of a weeklong negotiation with my mother. Although I had immediately requested for tutors to be assigned to me upon my return to the mansion, my mother was against the idea. After a fierce negotiation, the only area she was willing to compromise on was Magic lessons, but that was better than nothing. Currently, my Magic lessons were conducted by my mother which was boring (scary).

However, this was going to change with the start of today!

After bidding the gardener goodbye, Diana and I continued on our way.

The house that I was staying in was a two storey, cylindrical brick building separated from the main building. The walking distance between the two buildings was around 10 minutes and covered by a walkway. However, I preferred to take the route through the garden so I could take a stroll in the morning surrounded by greenery and fresh air.

Upon entering the main building from the lobby, I started up the grand staircase to the study room where my class would be held at.

“Lady Liliana, you have arrived.”

On the top of the staircase stood a man in his fifties with greying hair slicked back neatly. His black swallowtail coat worn over his white shirt with a black and silver tie was as crisp as ever. He bowed to me respectfully with his gloved hand over his heart and I nodded in acknowledgement. He was Sebas-, ah no, Christian, our Head Butler who had been serving us for 10 years.

“My lady, the tutors are waiting in the study room. Will you allow me to escort you?”

“Yes, please.”

I had no trouble finding my way around the mansion, but since he had offered, the only polite thing to do was to accept.

Our footsteps echoed off the stone walls as the three of us made our way down the corridors. As servants passed us, they lowered their head without making eye-contact before continuing on their duties. Although it was something that happened often, even I was starting to get restless by the uncomfortable atmosphere.

Perhaps sensing my discomfort, Christian broke the silence.

“Lady Liliana, I heard that the magic tutors were requested by you?”

I gave a nod. It was not something I needed to keep as a secret.

“Yes, I was the one who requested it.”

Christian fell silent as a slight frown decorated his forehead.

“Is there any problem with my current teaching?”

Ah. Was that the reason why he had gone out of his way to look for me?

I shook my head. “Mr Christian has been a wonderful teacher, so has been mother. My reason for requesting for specialised tutors is because that is the usual doing for noble families. I wish to have the same education as the rest of the nobility.”

Even though I lived my life as something like a shut-in, Diana shared with me how the lives of other noble’s daughters were like, so I could understand the difference between what I was experiencing and what was ‘normal’.

Parents of influential families usually hired a nanny to take care of their children till they were 6-year-old. The education during these few years was naturally undertaken by the nanny. When the child turns 6-year-old, the family will hire tutors to teach the child the topics a noble will require to know. For ladies, subjects included things from etiquette, dancing, embroidery and singing to heavier subjects like history, geography and economics. Magic was also one of the subjects - but only if the child was capable of using it.

On the other hand, my education was handled by only my mother and Christian. Even though they were more than capable, it would still be very different from a tutor who is experienced in teaching nobles. If I was to seriously aim for a good life after my engagement gets broken, I need to interact more with different kinds of people and learn more about the outside world!

“I see. If there is any problem, please let me know.”

His face was usually stoic, but I could see l relief flicker through his eyes.

I gave a chuckle. “So far I have only managed to convince my mother to get me tutors for my Magic lessons. I will still have to count on you for my other lessons.”

“It is my pleasure to be able to teach the daughter of the household I serve in.”

Is that really so?

Those words were swallowed back as we reached the door to the study room.

*****

The tutors my mother had found for me was a pair of siblings who had just graduated from the Royal Academy. I heard that they were at the top of their class back in the school and were gifted students.

Wearing matching black and blue coats, I could immediately see the resemblance between the two of them. Apart from having the same burgundy coloured hair and aquamarine eyes, the atmosphere they gave off were also similar. The older sibling was a woman with fluffy chin-length hair while her younger brother had short and neatly trimmed hair. The both of them were polite and smiley during the introduction and I immediately had positive feelings towards them.

Talking about the Royal Academy… My elder brother was a second year student there. I wonder if they would happen to know him.

After we had done our greetings, my two new tutors took their seats opposite me on a large desk. It was the older sibling, Eleanor, who opened her mouth first.

“Although we have been briefed by Lady Rosaline on the topics she have covered, we will like to go through some of them today. Will that be alright with you?”

So basically they want to do a revision? I nodded confidently. “Please go ahead.”

“Alright, then shall we begin?” She nodded at her younger brother, Theodore.

The young man gave a friendly smile and placed his hands on the table as he posed the first question to me.

“Do you know the reason why you have two tutors for your Magic lesson?”

“Yes. Because you are partners with opposite charges,” I answered without hesitation.

Even if my mother had not taught me how magic worked in the world, I already knew about it from the light novels.

Only a small number of people are able to use magic in this world, and even then, there was a condition that needs to be fulfilled. ‘Plus’ or ‘Minus’ - every magician held either one of the charges, and for magic to be used properly, two magicians of opposite charges need to have physical contact while casting the spell.

The first time I read about it in the novel, I was attracted by its uniqueness. However, after being reincarnated in the world, I became utterly disappointed.

I mean, what was the point of being born in a magical world when it was so difficult to use magic? Why didn’t the author go with something simple like casting magic using imagination? If it comes to imagination I have confidence I can defeat any number of Demon Kings thrown at me!

“That is correct!” Eleanor replied cheerfully as she nodded her head. “Theodore is a ‘Plus’ while I am a ‘Minus’.”

“How about you? What is your charge?” Eleanor flashed a playful smile as she asked.

Oh? Was she testing me?

Unperturbed, I shook my head. “I do not have my charge yet. Children normally get their charge after puberty around 14 to 16-year-old.”

Theodore grinned and looked at Eleanor. “See, Lawrence told us she is a smart child.”

I immediately reacted to the name spoken out of his mouth. “Are you acquainted with my elder brother?” I asked curiously.

The both of them looked at each other before turning their eyes back to me.

“Hmmm… We are not exactly friends… But yes, we know him.”

“Is there anyone in the academy who does not know him though?”

“Hahaha! That is a good question.” Eleanor laughed as she covered her mouth.

“He was the one who introduced this job to us, actually,” Theodore added.

“Oh… Is brother a popular person?”

“Argh, very,” Eleanor answered with a shudder.

My interest was immediately piqued at her reaction. I could understand as he was an unnecessarily good looking person who had inherited father’s golden hair and mother’s deep blue eyes. Isn’t it unfair how he had inherited the nicest features while I ended up with a combination that looked villainous?

“Enough about your brother, we should continue with your lessons. That is way more interesting,” Eleanor said as she shook her head like she was trying to clear off a bad memory.

Turning her focus on me, she started her explanation, “What you have said earlier is correct. Children usually get their charge after puberty. However, there are some children who can get it as early as 10 or 11 when they have just started their puberty. There is no proven theory to predicting the age a person receives their charge so it is something up to chance at this point.”

She paused for a while and her eyes turned serious before she continued, “Although a person without a charge is theoretically unable to use magic, there are certain instances where young children will accidentally use magic due to emotional instability. As it is uncontrollable and dangerous, there is a need for close surveillance to prevent outbursts from happening.”

My heart thumped at her words and I sat up a little straighter.

Seeing my reaction, Theodore immediately cut in with a chiding tone, “Ellen, stop scaring her.”  

Was Ellen her nickname? The unexpected name caught my attention. They seemed to be really close siblings.

Turning to me, he continued smoothly, “Don’t worry. It is not something that dangerous, and it is not something that happens that often either. If children accidentally use magic every time they cry, cities and towns would have been burned to the ground!”

Eleanor laughed, her cheeks slightly flushed from being embarrassed. “Haha! Sorry. I guess I got a little too carried away just now.”

“Ahem,” she cleared her throat lightly. “To go back to the topic on using magic. For those who have obtained their charge, although it is also possible to use magic without your other half, the effect is very small.”

“For example.” She held out her palm and chanted, “Wind, I call you. I command you to twist and turn to my heart desire.”

The air in the room started to flow, and lifted up the ends of her wavy bob. A mini whirlwind around 30cm tall soon formed in the center of her palms.

I leaned forward slightly to have a better look.

“I am not purposely limiting its size. Although it looks quite lame, this is really the best I am able to do by myself,” she explained with some regret in her voice.

Then, she turned to look out of the window and squinted as she looked around. I glanced out as well and only saw a green lawn. However, she seemed to be pleased and held out her other hand to Theodore.

Theodore stretched out his own hand and placed his palms on hers. Without hesitation, the both of them chanted with overlapping voices, “Wind, I call you. I command you to twist and in turn to my heart desire.”

Whoosh.

The mini whirlwind in her palm disappeared all of a sudden. Instead, out on the lawns, the air swirled before turning into a whirlwind 3 metre tall. As the wind twist and turn, the fallen leaves from the nearby trees started to get sucked into the wind monster and the whirlwind begun rising taller.

Eleanor held out her free hand and made a few gestures towards the whirlwind. Slowly, the whirlwind started to move around in a zigzag manner.

“Although it is required for two magicians to cast the spell together, the control of the spell can be left to just one of the magician after that. So while Eleanor is doing the hard work, I can go and read a book,” Theodore joked.

“I see!” I nodded with a slightly agape mouth as I observed Eleanor’s actions. Sweat droplets were starting to form on her forehead and I could tell that she was really putting all her concentration into the spell. As the wind got stronger, apart from leaves, small branches were starting to get churned into the whirlwind.

“However, please be careful that if physical contact is not maintained throughout the spell, it will be cancelled. Like this.”

Having spoke finished, he let go of Eleanor’s hand and the whirlwind outside which had grown in height to reach the second level of the house collapsed into nothingness.

I clapped my hands as my eyes shone. I was completely inspired as it was the first time I had seen magic done in front of me. I knew that my mother and father were magicians, but I had never seen them cast any spells.

“Thank you for the wonderful display!”

“Hehe. Thanks! Do you have any questions?” Eleanor asked as she gave a refreshing smile and wiped sweat off from her forehead with a handkerchief given by her brother.

“Yes! What other spells do you know?” I sparkled as I leaned forward.

“Getting excited aren’t you?” Eleanor grinned. “Since you are still far away from casting your own spell, it is better to get your foundations right first by going through and understanding the structure and types of different spells.”

“That is the reason why we are here after all.” Theodore gave a smile that was every bit as radiant as his sister’s.

“Okay!”

The both of them seemed to have very straightforward and easy going personalities. I think I can get along with them!

Just then, the door to the room was knocked on before a woman's voice came from the other side, “Excuse me, is it a good time for me to disturb the class?”

I looked at Eleanor and Theodore as they were the teachers over here.  Eleanor understood my prompt and quickly called out, “Please come in.”

The person who opened the door was Diana who had left the room once my lessons started.

She bowed her head before asking evenly, “Did anything strange happen here? The servants are in a frenzy outside so I was tasked to check on your safety.”  

I tilted my head questioningly. “Nothing in particular… They were just showing me their magic - Ah!”

I rushed to the window.

My heart sunk as I saw servants rushing about clearing leaves and branches off the lawn. After the whirlwind had collapsed, the debris it collected was scattered around, turning the once beautiful green lawn into a rubbish site. Another group of servants had started levelling the ground that had turned up after the whirlwind's trail of devastation.

Beside me, Theodore’s face paled as he observed the scene. On the other hand, I heard Eleanor muttering to herself, “Ah… I should have chosen a sandy location instead. Why did I forget about that...?”

Yep. I can definitely tell that they have just newly graduated.

88