Chapter 16 – The Villainess in a Crisis
1.6k 13 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That particular day in October could have very well been the most dramatic day in my life -  from a trip to watch a theatre show to a kidnapping incident, and then an attack in the night - it was enough for me to feel that I have had enough of excitement in my life. The days after that had been comparatively peaceful. Since I had injured my ankle, my mother ordered me to stay in bed until I had fully recovered. The first few days were a little boring, but once I could receive visitors, it was pretty fun to play the role of a ‘patient’ and get entertained while I was on the bed. Thanks to everyone’s care, my ankle had fully recovered in a month and I was able to go back to my usual routine.

However, there was still something especially important that had not been resolved.  

 "Diana."

"Yes, Lady Liliana?" Diana who had been preparing tea paused and straightened her back as she tilted her head quizzically.

Looking at her relaxed demeanour, I gripped the book I was holding tighter. How unfair it was for her to be so relaxed while I was facing the biggest crisis in both of my lifetimes! 

“Should I do it? Or maybe not?” I muttered to myself as I agonised over my decision for the upteenth time. 

 Ahh… But I really want to know...

Diana just looked blankly as she listened to my strange mutterings. Just then, as if she just thought of something, she put the teapot down. "Are you feeling cold? Should I bring a blanket over?" 

"No, that’s not it. I'm fine!" I quickly answered as I waved my arms in an attempt to stop her from leaving. 

It was true that the air was getting chillier by the day as the months changed. It was now November, and the leaves on the trees outside had long turned to a burnt orange colour. Very soon, those too, would drop and the trees would become bare branches. However, the indoor garden where we were in had a comfortable temperature. The afternoon sun filtered through the glass roof above gave just the right amount of light and warmth for me to spend a leisurely time reading. Look at that little crock by the tree that looks like just the place to lean and flip open a book...

But this was not the right time for that! 

I took a deep breath and tried again.

"Diana, I hope that you can answer this truthfully," I said solemnly as I met her eyes. 

Diana furrowed her brows, no doubt confused by my words, then gave a sigh of resignation.

"Of course, my lady."

I took a deep breath as I slowly recited the words I had practised in my heart for so many days. 

"Is it true that your contract with us is ending soon?" 

The crease between her brows deepened for a moment before she lowered her eyes and calmly replied. 

"That is true. My current contract will be ending in June next year." 

"I see…"

There was a part of me that was hoping that the intruder was just saying that to throw me off my guard, but to have the person in question confirm the information… There was a strange ache in my heart. 

"I know that I have not been the best mistress, but I am really grateful to you for taking care of me for the past three years…"

I balled up my fists as I tried to control the hotness on my eyes. 

"Lady Lili-"

No Liliana, you absolutely cannot cry!

"So… so… Even if we are apart, please come and visit me regularly..."

"I am not-"

"O-of course you won't come…" I stammered as I forced myself to focus my eyes on the table. 

She must have lots of things she wanted to do after all the time spent cooped up in this house. I can understand that. If I had to spend almost four years of my life taking care of a brat daily, I’ll probably not want to return any time soon as well.

Just then, a hand stretched out to lift my chin. With my face tilted upwards, I was forced to look into her grey eyes framed by long black eyelashes. Oh my, wasn’t this the famed agokui, second to the infamous kabedon?

My face grew hot as I realised how close she was to me.

As her eyes bored into mine, she repeated her words again with clear enunciation.

“Lady Liliana.”

“Y-Yes?”

“Please listen to what I have to say.”

“Aw-awright,” I said with some difficulty with my chin still being held. 

Her eyes searched my face intently as if she was trying to read my mind. Then seemingly resigned, she let go of my chin before taking a step back. 

"Lady Liliana, do you think if I have done my job well?" 

"Job?" I echoed back puzzledly. Why was she asking such a question? 

Ah! But this was a chance! 

"Ahem," I cleared my throat. "Diana, you have done well as my friend, my older sister and my most trusted confidante."

"You have done well accompanying me as I search for the best reading spots in the mansion, doing my hair every morning and preparing delicious tea." 

"To me, there is no one that can replace you, Diana." 

There! How was it? I thought I said something that sounded pretty cool. With a self-satisfied smile, I waited for her reaction. 

Diana stared at me blankly for a while before her face twisted up. 

"Haha! To hear about tea again of all things." The ponytail behind the girl bounced as her body shook from laughter. 

I froze at her reaction. Diana, who was famous for her stone-faced nature like my father, was actually laughing! It would usually be a cause for celebration, except that I don't think I said anything funny! 

"W-well, if it's about money, I can ask Father to give you a raise." If an appeal to her emotions doesn't work, then I guess it had to be something practical. "I just hope that you can stay with me a little longer..." 

I was certain that Diana would leave eventually - she had her own life after all. It was just my own selfishness, but I would prefer if that were dragged out to a later time. 

Diana seemed to finally realise my hurt expression and dipped her head. “My apologies for my rudeness, it is just that my lady said something unexpected.”

She raised her head as she continued," But thanks to that, I now understand how foolish I have been."

A gentle smile stretched across her lips as she faced me.

“As long as you'd allow me, I hope to accompany you as your maid, Lady Liliana.” 

Diana wasn't a very expressive person, but right now, even I could feel the strength and sincerity in her words.

I was quite sure I had an absolutely stupid expression on my face as the realisation of her words slowly dawned on me. 

“You ask other people to listen to your words, but it will do you well to listen to the words of others too,” she chided gently as she gave a wry smile. 

"Dianaaaaa!" I exclaimed without a care of my image as I tried to leap at her from across the table. 

However, Diana coldly put a firm grip on my shoulders and held me at arm’s length. What was up with this arm strength? I was unable to even bulge.

“Lady Liliana, please calm down before you injure yourself.” Diana held a hand up to massage her forehead as exasperation showed in her voice. 

"While I am glad the lady feels so strongly against my contract ending… How did you come to find out about it?" Diana muttered as she looked at me with suspicion.

"Ummm..." I looked away as I thought of what to reply. While I first heard about it from the intruder that night, I was not silly to believe it wholesale and went to my mother to verify. I was hoping that the intruder was just trying to distract me with his words, but my mother only changed to a serious expression and asked me to ask Diana directly. 

"From my mother?"

"Why is that a question?" 

Seeing that I was unwilling to talk about it, Diana just gave a sigh and said, "Well, I guess that is not very important."

A short silence stretched between us with the bubbling of the fountain serving as the background noise. I could not resist the temptation and looked up from the book I was holding. 

Was that it? Has the greatest crisis in my life been averted just like that?

"He… hehehe," I could not help but let out a giggle. I had been so worried since finding out to the extent of not being able to sleep well at night. But the person in question had just blown away my worries without even thinking too much about it. 

Looking at my giggling self, Diana shook her head with a wry smile. "Should I bring over some snacks, Lady Liliana?"

"Un, okay!" I replied cheerily. Ah… after all the tension I could feel my appetite coming back already! 

I watched Diana disappear into the small kitchen before turning my attention back to my book. The book that I was unable to concentrate on at all - which part was I at again? 

As I tried to pour my focus back on the book, Diana’s words came back to my mind again. 

… I hope to accompany you as your maid, Lady Liliana.

“He… hehehehe…”

“What’s up with that eerie laughter?” a young, boyish voice called out from behind me. 

Humph. I could tell from the unfriendly tone who was the owner of the voice. 

“What are you talking about, Sui? There is nothing wrong with laughing during a joyous occasion,” I replied unperturbed as I held my nose up and grinned.

A boy with navy-blue hair wearing a plain beige-coloured shirt with black knee-length shorts stood at the doorway. He scrunched up his face in disdain before he strode towards me.

Since Sui came to my house, his skinny frame had filled out somewhat and his complexion had improved significantly. He was even getting a tan since he started hanging out with the other children. However, he was still smaller than me although we should be the same age. I could not help but feel impatient, but healing was something that took time, so, unfortunately, it was something I was unable to rush. 

“Hah…” the boy drew a long breath as he looked at me with suspicion. “It sounded like you were plotting something.”

“That’s rude. What can I possibly be plotting,” I huffed. 

Wanting to get back at him, I grabbed his hands and brought them in front of me. Ignoring his sounds of protest, I asked, “Are you still biting your fingernails?” 

When I first met him, his fingernails were badly bitten to the point that some were bloody and at the risk of getting infected. As it was a bad habit I hoped he could change, I had been nagging at him. 

“I don’t do that anymore. Just let go,” Sui said hastily as he tried to pull his hands away. 

His nails were still jagged, but there were no infections and the wounds had healed over. As it seemed like he was getting better I let go without making a complaint.

Just then, multiple footsteps echoed from behind him. Oh? It seems like he did not come alone.

“Such rambunctious laughter. I could hear it clearly even from outside the building. Do share the good news with us, Liliana.”

Eeek.

The bench I was sitting on gave a screech as I stood up on attention. 

Seeing the red-haired woman standing behind him, I quickly lifted my dress lightly and bowed.

“Good afternoon, Mother,” I greeted as cold sweat formed on my back. That was dangerous - I had almost gotten carried away. The last thing I wanted was a lecture on proper etiquette on a nice afternoon!

“Good afternoon, Liliana. So - What is this joyous occasion you were talking about?” mother asked as she gave a wide smile. Ah, her blue eyes were not smiling though. 

It seemed like she was not going to let go of this topic easily.

“Ahem,” I cleared my throat. “It is nothing of particular importance, but I just heard from Diana that she will be extending her contract. She has been doing an excellent job, so I could not help but be pleased with the news.” 

While I tried to maintain my composure, I was unable to keep the victorious grin from my face. 

“Is that so? That is some good news indeed. I must have a chat with her again when the end of her contract comes nearer.” My mother nodded as she looked thoughtful. 

Ah. I frowned as I came to a realisation. With Mother being Mother, there was no way she would not have already discussed something like this with her. Could she have known that Diana was planning to extend her contract all along? 

As if reading my mind, my mother acknowledged my suspicions, “Diana came to me before with the request to extend her contract, but I asked her to reconsider her decision. I am glad that she has made up her mind.”

I knew it! She must have purposely left out the part about Diana’s intention to extend her contract when I looked for her just to play around with my feelings. 

"Speaking of which, I do not see Diana around. Where is she?" My mother glanced around in search of the black-haired girl. 

"She is in the kitchen preparing snacks." 

“I see.” Turning to her attendant behind her, she asked, "Grace, can you help to bring more tea over?" 

"Of course, My Lady." She bobbed her head before turning to join Diana in the kitchen.

I studied the two unmatching people standing side by side. “Did the both of you come together?” I asked curiously.

While Mother and Sui had dropped by numerous times since the kidnapping incident, it was the first time I had seen the both of them appearing together.

Sui cast a side glance at the woman beside him before fidgeting uncomfortably. My mother observed his actions and smiled. 

A cold shiver went up my spine. My mother, what exactly are you planning? 

“We simply met on the way,” she replied lightly. “Since our goals were the same, we decided to come together.”

"Let's not stand on ceremony," she said as she indicated for us to take a seat. My mother sat down opposite me while Sui sat beside me. It seemed like it was going to take a while so I reluctantly kept my book away.

“How have you been, Sui? Have you adjusted to your life here?” With a teacup in hand, my mother asked graciously.

My dear mother, wouldn't the first question usually be about your own daughter's wellbeing instead?

“Yes. I am incredibly grateful for the care shown to me," Sui answered somewhat robotically.

Could this really be the same sharp-tongued boy who had just criticised my laughter earlier? It was strange to see Sui answering so obediently.

"I'm glad to hear that. You are a particularly important guest of ours after all."

My ears perked up at the word 'guest'. 

Could it be that Sui’s appointment as a servant has yet to be confirmed?  It had been more than a month since he arrived so I thought that someone would have discussed it with him already. 

My mother took a long sip of her tea before asking again, "Have you thought about what you wish to do from now onwards?”

The boy moved his eyes away and momentarily looked to be at a loss of words. That was to be expected from someone who was only nine years old. It was an awkward question to ask a young child who had been trafficked across borders and was now in an unfamiliar and potentially hostile environment. What was my mother thinking, asking him something like this? 

I decided it had become a situation I was unable to keep quiet in.

"Mother, what do you mean by that?" 

My mother’s blue eyes flickered over to me before going back to the young boy.

"We did not want to overly stress Sui after all the things he has been through so we have been avoiding this topic, but Sui is a mature child so I am sure he would have started wondering about his future." My mother’s voice was gentle but firm as she paved the way to what she wanted to say next.

"You are a little faraway from Breusia, but do you know where your family is? Although we are in another country, we still hold enough influence to help to search for your family and make the arrangements for you to be reunited, if that is what you wish." 

That was an extremely generous suggestion. If I were Sui, I would have definitely taken up the offer.

That is - if I did not have the knowledge of what was going to happen in the novel. 

I could feel the muscles on my face stiffen as the consequences of my mother’s words weighed on me. Sui was supposed to be employed as a servant with the Remington family after his escape from the slave traders. He would then meet the main characters in the Royal Academy and be an indispensable ally to the heroine. If he were to return to Breusia now, wouldn't the plot be all messed up?

I put on my sweetest smile and suggested, "Mother, Sui has been adapting to life here pretty well, so why don't we just let him stay here?"

Look at me. There is no way you can reject a request from your sweet, adorable daughter, right? Channelling such thoughts through my gaze, I looked at my mother with upturned eyes.

My mother’s face grew stern as she shook her head. In a tone that rang of disappointment, she said, "Preventing a young child from reuniting with his family makes us no better than the slave traders, Liliana." 

Urgh. That was a little harsh. I could not help but give a grimace. I knew in my heart that what she said was correct. I would support her words if I could - but I could not because Sui was far from a minor character!

Not only was he going to be a strong Magician that served as an important source of firepower to the group, he was also the rival male lead that would gently support the heroine in the background as she suffered while adapting to life in the Academy. 

I had to make him stay no matter what!

“I-”

While I was agonising internally, Sui spoke up with some reluctance. 

"Thank you for your offer, but I don't think I will be able to meet my family anymore." 

I caught my breath and turned to look at him timidly.

“Why do you say that?”

Sui rubbed the sides of his teacup with his fingers as he replied in a matter-of-fact voice, "I don't know where they are, but they are most likely dead.”

Oh right. I think that there was something about that in the novel. In a scene where the heroine was feeling down, Sui had opened his heart to her and told her about his past. He was born in a small mining village in Breusia to commoner parents. However, his village got into a dispute with nobles and his village was accused of mining illegally. As punishment, everyone in his village was executed. The only reason why he was spared from that was because he could use magic. 

"Is that so?” my mother heaved a small sigh as she looked at him sympathetically. 

I heaved a sigh as well - although it was a sigh of relief for me. With that, it was pretty much safe to say that Sui will be staying with us. 

Finally feeling relaxed enough to enjoy the tea, I raised the teacup to my mouth and took a sip. 

Mmm, today’s tea should be spiced black tea. The fragrance of cinnamon, orange and clove calmed me as the naturally sweet tea moistened my throat. 

"Then, would you like to go to the capital?” 

Wait- What was it now?

My mother’s words almost caused me to spit out the tea in my mouth. 

“The truth is, we have received an invitation from the Royal Magicians asking for you to be brought under their wing. How does that sound for you?"

“R-royal Magicians?” I sputtered out. 

Just like its name suggests, the Royal Magicians was a group of Magicians employed directly under the royal family. Similar to the Royal Guards, their main job was to protect the capital and the royal family. Apart from that, they were also in charge of magical research and inventions. 

"Why would the Royal Magicians be interested in Sui? They only accept Magicians when they are eighteen years old, don't they?" I asked with agitation. 

“That is true. They only accept Magicians who have graduated from the Royal Academy, and at the top of their class at that. It is meant to be a prestigious organisation after all," my mother answered somewhat plainly.

Prestigious? 

I was perplexed at her description.

In Lorzelea Kingdom, Magicians were so treasured that nobles were willing to adopt a commoner child without blood ties into the family once they are found to have the aptitude to use magic. However, the life as an noble comes with its obligations, and not everyone wishes to live a life crafted by their family. 

For Magicians who did not wish to be treated as a political tool, one of the easiest ways of escaping was to become a Royal Magician. As a Royal Magician, you had to renounce your previous rank and prestige, and swear your loyalty to the country. All Royal Magicians held a rank equivalent to a ‘Baron’ so they were still treated respectfully by the general populace. However, to the nobility, you could say that they were people who turned their backs on their families.

And so - a hideaway for washouts - that was the general impression the nobles had of the Royal Magicians.

Well, but that was just a stereotype. While there were those who wanted to escape from their family, there were probably Magicians who genuinely wanted to focus their all in magical research and do their part for the country. 

"So," my mother continued. "They have heard about your ability to use magic and are offering to provide your meals, accommodation, and an education with the top Magicians in the country. Once you come of age, you will be able to decide if you wish to stay in this country and become a Royal Magician or move on to other places if you wish." 

"I object!" I interrupted in a hurry. Then, catching myself as two pairs of eyes bored into me, I tried to salvage the situation with a reasonable excuse. "Ahem. I mean. Look Mother, Sui is not even from this country. Isn't it strange for them to take such an interest, and even go to lengths to accommodate him?"

Mother pursed her lips. "The Head of the Royal Magicians is the Queen so there is no need to worry about the integrity of the organisation. They are just… interested in the reason why Sui had developed his charge so early."

Sui was already able to use his magic aptly at the age of nine, which meant that his charge had awakened way earlier than that. It was a peculiar situation, as most children received their charge in their early teens. 

Haah...

What’s up with these obstructions coming one after another? I didn’t even have the appetite for the caramel apple pie on the table anymore. If I don't come up with a good argument soon, Sui was going to the capital with the Royal Magicians and the novel plotline would be in tatters! 

"What do you think about it? We will respect your decision so-"

"You can't join them, Sui!" I blurted out as I stood up.

The young boy leaned back, and his cerulean-blue eyes widened as I grasped his hands clumsily.

"What's wrong with you tod-"

“Think about it! You are going to be surrounded by boring adults day in and day out. And I am sure they will force you to study every day!”

"BU-T!" I slammed the table with a hand for emphasis. The teaspoons on the plates rattled at my action.

"If you stay here, I'll share everything with you! You can read everything in my library! I'll tell you the best reading spots!"

"I'll do anything you say! Just, just don't go, please…" my voice trailed off as I squeezed my eyes shut. 

Would this be enough? Honestly, none of my appeals to my parents had ever worked. What was I going to do if he left just like that? My plot, my second male lead, was it time to bid goodbye? I admit I was never a fan of his character in the novel, but it didn’t mean I wanted to ruin everything like that...

"You'll do anything I say?"

His unexpected words gave me hope.

"Un!" I nodded with all the energy I had as I stared into his eyes.

Sui seemed to be taken aback by my enthusiasm and looked away as he covered his flushed face with a hand.

Then, as if he realised something, he looked up at me as his lips curled into a devilish smile. "You won't regret it?"

Eh. I could instantly tell that that smile belonged to someone up to no good. In the story, apart from being a massive tsundere, Sui was also a person who didn’t mind playing small tricks in order to get what he wanted. His slightly mischievous personality was also part of the reason why he was a big hit with some of the readers.

Realising that I might have made a mistake, I quickly added, "As long as it is within my means and reasonable grounds, I-I mean."

"Hmmm…" Sui's face immediately changed into something like boredom. And then, seemingly made up his mind, he turned to my mother.

"I would like to stay here if possible."

Yes! It seems like my appeal has worked. The plot has been saved!

My mother beamed as she nodded in satisfaction. "We are more than happy to welcome you into the family." 

"Mr Holdsfield," my mother called with confidence. 

Almost immediately, a white-haired elderly man with tanned skin appeared beside us like he had always been present. He was in his usual gardening garb, but there was an air of elegance unlike the times I met him in the gardens. 

"From today onwards, Sui will be under your tutelage. Please take care of him."

"As you command, Ma’am." The elderly man gave a bow with a hand over his heart. 

I only found out the gardener was a Magician during the attack that night, but when I asked around, it seemed like most of the people working here were already aware of that. However, as he mainly worked in the gardens, the others' impressions of him were mostly those of a gardener too. All in all, he was a mysterious character.

"Pleased to meet you, young Magician. You may call this old man Holdsfield. I look forward to working with you," he said as his eyes crinkled into crescent moons.

"Uh, me too. Please take care of me," Sui answered in a flustered manner.

"Then, shall we head off first? There are a great many things we will have to prepare," the old man said as he held Sui's hand. 

"Then take care. Feel free to let Christian know if you need anything," my mother smiled as she waved the both of them off.

The both of us watched their backs disappear through the door before turning back to look at each other. 

With the brightest smile on her face for today, my mother praised, “That was some great work. I was most impressed.”

“Yes?” I questioned as I stared at her blankly. What was she talking about now?

“I anticipated that you would push for him to stay, but even I was surprised at your conviction.”

As I thought! I started to have some doubts in the middle of the situation, because no matter how upright we were, it was strange that my parents would let go of a Magician so easily.

"Mother, did you plot this?" I asked as I narrowed my eyes in suspicion.

"To say that I plotted this would be unfair to me," mother replied with a light cough. "But I have to admit that I was hoping to keep the boy around. The tricky part was that he was a child who has been through a lot so I was concerned about how to convince him to stay."

"But thanks to your excellent work, it all turned out splendidly," my mother beamed as she nodded. 

'Hehe. Thanks for your praise!' 

As if I could say something like that! 

Does it make sense for your own mother to trick you like this? Was she really my birth mother? 

I glowered at the woman who was sitting across me with an extremely pleased expression. 

"Now, don't make that sulky expression, Liliana,” Mother said as she tried to cover a smile. And then, with a more forlorn expression, she said, “You really done really well for this, as well as the incident before."

‘That incident’ was probably referring to the kidnapping and attack that night. From what I heard, the perpetrators behind my kidnapping were already caught, together with whoever planned the attack on the prince. However, the identity of the attacker that aimed for me still remained at large. 

“Well, that is all over, isn’t it?” I replied nonchalantly as I reached for a slice of the caramel apple pie. Made of buttery homemade caramel with a delicate lattice top crust; the sweet scent of ripen apple was far too enticing for me to resist. 

“Over? What exactly is over, Liliana?” my mother asked with a raised eyebrow.

I immediately had a bad feeling about what was going to happen next. What was up with all the things happening today? Was it because I had gotten carried away when Diana said that she was going to stay? Did I let a momentary win against fate blind me against the misfortunes that would befall me?

"Let us move on to the main reason why I am here, shall we?" My mother’s expression changed as a glint in her eyes emerged.

I sat up straighter. So, there was a reason for my mother's presence today. Perhaps the incident with Sui was really a coincidence after all. 

She reached into her coat and took out a navy-blue envelope adorned with illustrations of the bluebell flower.  

The letter made a soft ‘swrp’ sound as it was placed on the table. The red wax seal was broken, but I could tell that it was a letter from the Royal Palace as the letters I received from Prince Charles had the same design. 

"The date for the official announcement of your engagement has been decided. We only have about a month to prepare, but I’m sure we can get you up to a standard that will not embarrass the family.”

She gave a smile befitting of ‘the Red Rose of the Capital’ as she glanced at my left hand that was on the table. 

Oh yes, I did something like slamming my hand on the table earlier, didn’t I? 

“I am sure you are prepared for that, Liliana.”

Well, it seems like my life ahead of me is still going to be a rocky journey.

 

And this marks the end of the first arc!

I know that it has been over a year since my last post, and I sincerely thank all the readers who have been waiting patiently during my hiatus. I had a difficult time with this story because there were many things I wanted to show but it was difficult for me to fit everything together. It is still a long way to the end of the story, but I'll keep working on it!

There will be an extra chapter before the next arc starts, and it will be from the POV of someone who is not in the main cast. Please keep an eye out for the next update! 

32