Chapter 17 – The Villainess Dances
1.1k 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hi there! Sorry I wasn't able to do an update post last week. I'll try and see if I have time to sort that out this week. Anyway, we are back to Liliana's POV so it's going to be fun again. Please enjoy today's chapter! ♡✧( ु•⌄• )

 

“Liliana, are you ready?”

I studied the expressionless man standing beside me. His golden hair that was gelled back neatly without a single stray strand enhanced the sharpness of his features. You can say that one of the good things about coming to this world is how good-looking most of the people are. Everywhere I go, from the stable boy to the nobles, they had features that could easily grace the covers of a fashion magazine. Even amongst them, I had to grudgingly acknowledge that my father had looks that were a head above others. I could understand why my mother would choose to marry him. Too bad he just was my old man though. 

“Hah.” While waiting for my reply, my father adjusted the collar of his coat with a tiresome face. Well, Father was a military man so social events and stuffy clothes were probably as uncomfortable for him as it was for me. 

I placed my hands over my father’s offered arm. 

“What are you talking about, Father? There is no way I can be ready for something like this.”

The side of his lips twitched at my reply but he only answered, “If you can afford to fool around, I guess you are doing better than I thought.”

I stuck my tongue out at him.

Focusing my attention on the doors in front of me, I took a deep breath. You could say that on the other side of the door was a battlefield - the battlefield of the socialites. Compared to them, I was akin to a small little rabbit. Would I be pitied and spared, or devoured whole? Now that I think about it, all the social events I have attended before all ended in disaster for me. Will today add a page in the evil chronicles of the ‘Poison Lily of the Capital’? 

“We will now like to announce the arrival of the Duke of Cruador and his daughter, Lady Liliana Gracia Remington!” 

With the roar of the announcer, the doors before us opened. 

*****

In Lorzelea Kingdom, one of the major festivals they celebrated was 'Yule'. It starts around the third week of December, lasting for eleven days until the 1st of the new calendar year. On the evening of the 1st of January, the Royal Palace will host the 'Winter Ball'. It is said to be the largest event in the capital of the year, with many nobles fighting amongst themselves to obtain the chance to attend. Foreign dignitaries were also invited, so it was an important occasion to showcase the strength and power of the Kingdom. 

And during this grand event, it was where my engagement was going to be announced.

I am sure that this scenario was the dream of most girls; to be in the centre of attention in a grand hall that oozed opulence with glittering chandeliers, painted ceilings and majestic arched windows. Is there anything else dreamier than wearing a gorgeous ball gown while walking down a red carpet as a live orchestra belted out a lively melody in the background? 

I may have once fantasised about it too, but now that I am in the situation, I can’t help but wish there was an ‘abort mission’ button. 

It was not like I hated the Winter Ball or anything - it was just that I never did well in situations where I was in the spotlight. There was a time in elementary school where we were forced to recite a poem individually in front of the class during Class Observation Day, and I forgot my lines completely after seeing all the different pairs of eyes staring at me. Then, there was the time during middle school where I was cast as a minor character in the school play during the Cultural Festival. I had a stomach ache halfway through the play, but I forced myself to hold it in until the very end. The next day, I was praised for my extremely realistic expression of the character's anguish.

"If I stumble here do you think they will nullify my engagement?" I whispered while making sure my head was still held high and facing forward.

"Your engagement won't be nullified just like this, but I can't say the same about your life," my father murmured in return. As if to prove a point, he tugged our arms gently to my right.

While trying to act natural, I casually glanced over the crowd in the direction he was pointing to. My eyes stopped when I noticed the eye-catching red hair.  While wearing an elegant smile, my mother was watching us with eyes as sharp as an eagle as she waved a feathered fan. Even while she was staring daggers at me, she did not fail to respond politely to the noble wives around her as they chatted amongst themselves. 

My mother, who had spared no effort in preparing me for this day, what would she do if I was to fall here and commit a faux pas? 

"You are right. I apologise for my naivety." 

That’s right. There was no way my mother was going to forgive me. 

Concentrate. I have to concentrate!

Heads up, face forward, back straightened, I chanted the steps that my mother had repeated like a broken record during my training in my head. And of course, small and unhurried steps that drag this situation for far longer than I wished. 

"Liliana, your expression."

At the man’s reminder, I forced the corners of my mouth to go up. I hope that didn’t look too forced. Not like he was one to talk though, the person who is renowned for his stony face!

After what seemed like forever, we finally reached the other end of the red carpet. My father and I lowered our heads respectfully towards the three seated on a raised platform. 

The tall man with warm blonde hair seated in the centre must be the King, and the woman with flowing hair the rich colour of wine must be his second wife and the current Queen, Queen Alena. And sitting on the other side of the King was Prince Charles, who had been smiling brightly as we approached. It had been about two months since I saw him, and it was good to see that he was looking much better than the tired and worn-out little boy he was the last time I saw him.

"Greetings Your Majesties, Your Highness. Thank you for the invitation today." Father gestured at me before continuing, "I am not sure if Your Majesties could recall, but this is my youngest child, Liliana." 

Recognising it as my prompt, I quickly gave a deep curtsy as I echoed his greetings.

"It is good to see the both of you! There is no need to be so formal. We are going to be family after all," the King greeted back casually with a wide smile. Although both father and son had the same hair and eye colour, the King had a chiselled face with a healthy tan while Prince Charles had flatter features, perhaps inherited from his mother. 

“Will calling you Liliana be alright? I believe the last time we met was almost four years ago? I am glad to see you looking so well,” Queen Alena remarked. Her lilac-coloured eyes glistened with curiosity as she studied me.

By ‘last time’, I guess it would mean their wedding celebration. Ugh, I don't really remember much of it, but I heard that it was a disaster because of me. Is the kingdom really that lacking in girls that they had to betroth their son to the person that ruined their wedding celebration? 

“What a beautiful daughter you have there, Lord Remington. Our Charles sure is lucky to have her as his partner,” the King teased as he cast a meaningful look at his son. 

“Father…” Charles winced at his comment while I just chuckled awkwardly in reply. 

One of the top rules in social situations - ‘laugh when you do not know what to say!’ 

Looking at the King’s relaxed demeanour and friendly personality, it was easy to forget that he was the one who engineered the plan that placed the Prince and me in danger. People seated at the top are really something else. 

I mentally noted that it would be good not to underestimate the King.

The King stood up and adjusted his coat. The crowd immediately fell silent as they looked expectantly at him. Although he had the same smile on his face, I could feel a change in his aura as he addressed the crowd with clear enunciation, “My son will be turning eleven years old this year. He is now a man capable and dignified, as I am sure many of my close aides who have seen him can testify.” 

“However, as a parent, it still feels strange to me sometimes as I swear he was still babbling in my arms just yesterday.” 

The crowd below erupted into laughter at his joke, and the King smiled as he waited patiently for the laughter to die down before continuing, “As some of you may have heard, we have been looking for a young lady who would be accompanying my son for the foreseeable future. No doubt this is very early even by standards of the Royal family, but we feel that there is no right time if we have a suitable candidate.”

“After a careful selection, we believe that the daughter of the Marquis of Cruador holds all the qualities we are looking for in the future Queen of the country.”

I could feel cold sweat forming on my back as the King made his grandiose proclamation. Me? Having the qualities of a Queen? I should probably apologise to all the past Queens of the country...

"I will now proclaim the official engagement of my son, Charles Leon Lorzelea, the First Prince of Lorzelea, to Lady Liliana Gracia Remington, daughter of the Marquis of Cruador," he declared.

"I hope that everyone can join us in celebrating this joyous occasion!" 

The responsive crowd below immediately erupted into cheers and applause. I spotted some flabbergasted faces as well, but most of them were able to switch back to smiles quickly. As expected of polite society!

While waiting for someone to give the cue for this to end, I stood beside my father silently as I maintained an elegant smile that I copied from my mother. Can someone end my misery already?

As if he heard my outcry, Prince Charles stood up from his seat and approached me. While flashing a brilliant smile, he bowed and stretched out a hand.

"May I?"

I have already been briefed on the proceedings so I knew what he meant. 

I gave a curtsy in return and placed my palm over his. 

"It would be my pleasure, Your Highness."

It has come, my greatest obstacle of the day.

*****

As the Prince and I walked towards the centre of the ballroom, the crowd naturally dispersed to make room for the dance floor.  

As a new ‘couple’ that was just born, it was customary to start off the first dance. 

Seeing that we were ready, the maestro lifted his hand and with it, the first bass note rang out before a high strung melody followed. The Prince and I faced each other and bowed again before stretching out our arms. As his arm went around my back, I placed my left hand on his upper arm. Our right hands clasped before we started the footwork of the waltz. 

1-2-3, 1-2-3. 

1-2-3, 1-2-3.

As we were children, it was a simple routine containing a series of natural and reverse turns. Even someone like me was able to remember the steps within the limited preparation time.

Once I felt like I had gotten into the rhythm of the song, I heaved a small sigh of relief. 

“Are you feeling nervous?” Prince Charles asked in a voice low enough for others not to hear. 

As he was slightly taller than me, I looked up and saw a pair of eyes filled with mirth as his lips curved into a smile. 

“Does Your Highness not get nervous?” I asked curiously. I couldn’t possibly be the only one feeling like a bunch of nerves from all the attention, right? Or could it be that he had already gotten used to it as a member of royalty?

The Prince chuckled. “I may not look like it but I am having butterflies in my stomach now. And my back hurts from all the stares,” he said as he cast a pointed look at the nobles surrounding us. 

“Then it is the same as me!” I chirped. It was a relief hearing that we felt the same way.

There was a small pause before Prince Charles commented, “Lady Liliana looks a little different today.”

“Well, naturally. You have no idea how hard the palace’s maids have worked!”

As I was staying in a hotel in the capital, I was brought to the Royal Palace before dawn broke to start my preparation. From washing to dressing, there wasn’t a single detail that was left out. 

My face that was smeared with a multitude of facial oils and powdered lightly shone with a healthy glow. Even my usually unruly mane was tamed by the skilful hands of the hairdressers and arranged into an elegant updo that was decorated with pearl pins.

The dressmakers had evidently spared no effort either, as the dress I was wearing was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. It was a long-sleeved navy-blue ball gown with a sweetheart neckline that was tastefully decorated with lace. The most unique point about it would be the back of the dress that cuts open to reveal a full skirt in pleated accordion style made from a shimmery silver fabric. The way light caught on the fabric and glittered was mesmerising. 

By the way, the formal wear that the Prince was wearing had the same colour theme and fabric design as mine, so our outfits were matching. 

The Prince looked thoughtful as he elaborated, “Not just your appearance. How do I say this… Lady Liliana seems to be brighter today?” 

How embarrassing. My cheeks felt warm as I realised he wasn’t praising my appearance. 

“You always seem to be worrying about something, but you look more confident today.”

Ah. So this was what he was talking about.

“This is the result of the training my mother has given me. She told me that no matter what happens today, I am simply to smile my way through.” 

Today’s plan was to get through the event with smiles so that I could improve others’ impression of me. I am not sure if that would really help, but it was the least that I could do. 

“Apart from that, I am still a novice in all other aspects,” I continued in a hushed tone, “So please look away if my dancing is not up to par.”

Prince Charles just smiled and said cheerfully, “Lady Liliana, your dancing is perfectly fine.”

“Ahaha… Thank you...”

I was happy to hear that my one month of hard work has resulted in a standard that could receive praise, even if the praise was from my own fiance. Social dancing was only required when a person reaches the age for their debutante at fourteen, so I had to learn the steps of the waltz within a month with zero knowledge. My mother almost fainted during the first dancing class with an instructor. Well, actually it was the instructor who fainted. It wasn’t my fault though. It just so happened that when I tripped and fell backwards, one of my legs kicked the male instructor right between his legs. While wearing heels.

My mother healed him up immediately, but it seemed like his ego was too bruised to continue and requested to take leave for the day.

Thankfully there were no other major incidents after that and I was able to master the steps in time for the ball. 

Perhaps seeing that my expression was stiff from recalling the events that had transpired, Prince Charles started to get worried. “Even if you do not trust yourself, please at least believe in me,” he said as he looked deep into my eyes.

As the music reached a turning point, he let go of my back and I twirled once before coming back to the initial position. 

“Look, you are doing really well,” he encouraged. 

Oh! Perhaps I had some talent in dancing after all? 

As the song neared the climax, the footwork got more complicated. However, with my confidence boosted, I grew bold and initiated a few more twirls into the routine. Prince Charles smiled as he followed my lead and adapted to the new steps flawlessly.

It really gives you a rush of adrenaline when you see the skirt of your dress whirl along with you as you spin!

1-2-3, 1-2-3. 

Once again taking the chance, I raised our right hands and spun to the right before Prince Charles caught my back again.

Oh. 

My feet had stepped on something that was definitely not the dance floor. I immediately looked up and managed to catch the Prince’s expression change for a moment. 

“I-I’m so sorry!”

In my distress, I lost the rhythm of the song. My footwork became a mess as I tried to avoid stepping on his feet again.

“It’s alright, you just need to follow my lead,” the Prince tried to assure me. 

“O-ok.” I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down. I couldn’t afford to make a mess here in front of everyone!

Prince Charles kept a smile on his face as he held my hand tightly. Under his breath, he chanted the beat of the song to help me get used to the rhythm again. With his help, I somehow managed to recover and made my way to the ending of the song.

The final move was a series of fast twirls before ending with a dip. 

As the Prince raised his hand, I prepared myself and lifted a foot. However, my clumsiness just had to kick in at that moment, and my foot kicked the ankle of my other foot. The dull ache surprised me and at that moment, I felt my knees bend. 

This is bad! I was horrified when I realised that my body’s centre of gravity had shifted and I could clearly feel myself starting to lean backwards.

Our eyes met, and in a decisive moment, the Prince grabbed me by the waist. Showing surprising strength for his small stature, he lifted me up. And with my legs away from the ground, he spun to the tune of the music before finally placing me on the ground. 

“The final pose,” he whispered in my ears. 

“U-um. Yes!” Realising what he was talking about, I quickly nodded. 

I leaned back and stretched out a leg as Prince Charles bent forward while supporting my back. Last but not least, I didn’t forget the all-important smile. 

As applause and sighs of admiration filled the hall, I couldn’t help but do a fist pump in my mind. 

Yes! I’ve done it! Although things got dangerous in the middle, I managed to complete the routine without any major incident!

How is that, Mother?

While I was feeling giddy from the adrenaline, I quickly searched the hall for the red-haired woman. What came into my line of sight was my mother whose feathered fan she was waving daintily around earlier was now closed and clenched so tightly in her hands that it shook. Meanwhile, my father, who had moved to stand beside her, had a look so serene that it wouldn’t be strange to say he had achieved enlightenment.

Looking at the unusual appearance of the two people, it was the first time I realised I might have overdone things.

 

26