Chapter 2:Hot pockets are tasty
191 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Because I don't exactly feel like cooking at the moment I just pick the kid up and move downstairs, passing through the living room to the kitchen barely remembering to put on clothes. "Do you like sweet or spicy?" 

  I cook as a hobby but I like to keep frozen meals or leftovers just in case I'm not in the mood. The kitchen is pretty big since I had the house built from scratch a few years after I finished the immigration process to look like my dream house.

   It's a small two-story stone house with a large rustic style kitchen, plenty of rooms, a nice carpeted living room with an old fashioned rocking chair to read. Of course, I'm not obsessed with just old fashioned stuff since In my room and office I have my anime and game collection which I have tried my best to keep up to date.

  I open the freezer and pull out a pepperoni hot pocket. The kid squints and covers her face as the cold air blast her. "Ah, can you eat meat?" Most fairies are supposed to be vegetarian right? but then again I don't think she's a normal fairy. She nods her head while trying to close the freezer door with a struggle as her tiny arms are just too weak for the big door. 

  I go ahead and close it for her then move to the microwave putting the hot pocket in for two minutes remembering five seconds in to use a napkin or plate since these fuckers just love to tear.

  "So um, what does your mommy usually feed you?" The little girl still in my arms ignores me, just silently staring at the microwave. "Hello hello ya there?" I gently tap the kid's shoulder instantly getting her attention, though it seems I startled her considering how quickly she turned her head. "Mommy always fed me a bunch of human foods so that I can eat daddy's food." 

 "Alright then, umm you don't have to call me daddy. You can just call me Alex, anyways your food is just about ready so why don't we talk in the dining room. Okay?" She frowns a little bit then responds after staying quiet for a few seconds. "Why can't I call you daddy?" 

  The hell do I say to that? Thankfully the microwave beeps giving me an excuse to cut this conversation short, at least until I can come up with a good answer. "Alright come on well talk after you eat, okay?" She begins to tug at my shirt's collar to try and get my attention since I decide to ignore her and her constant repetition of the word why.

   I move her onto my left shoulder and hold her using my free arm to grab the plate from the microwave, moving to the dining room immediately after while bending my knees up and down, trying to calm the kid the same way I would my niece when I was twenty.

  It seems to work as she's giggling a little bit while calling me super tall. We make it to the dining room and I try to seat her on one of the chairs in the table's short end, but she refuses to even get off me. "Can I sit on daddy while I eat?"

   She grabs my head and tries to turn it but she's just a weak little kid and I just want some damn answers so I go ahead and agree, taking a seat and placing her on my lap, not turning my head. It seems that I've become a little skinnier but I'm still as tall as before so she has plenty of room on my right leg. 

  "The house is really pretty daddy!" She's definitely right about that, after all, I spent quite a bit of time designing the interior. The walls, for the most part, are made of brown stone and the floorboards are made of fine oak with a large carpet with flower patterns on its edges in almost every room. The bathrooms are classy with the shower and bathroom being separated by a door for smell's sake and the second floor, or the bed and work floor is really just a bunch of rooms connected by a central hallway, I wanted to make it creepy for anybody asking for an interview.

  Suddenly my thoughts are interrupted by a high pitched yelp, looks like the little girl was in a tad too much of a rush and ended up burning her tongue. With her arm reached out as far as possible she drops the hot pocket, spilling sauce all over the white table cover. 

  "Damn it!" I grab the hot pocket and place it back on the plate, moving to grab a napkin from the table center but stop since the kid has started to cry. "I'm sorry da...umm...u." She looks at me teary-eyed with her mouth opening and closing stuttering quite a bit.

  

 For some reason seeing this I feel a slight sting in my chest, I go ahead and grab her sides, standing up and spinning, holding her by the pits. Back when I was trusted by the family I would often take care of the kids, one thing that always calmed them down was lifting them up and playing plane. Still teary-eyed she looks at me confused, so in response, I smile. "Come on and fly my little fairy." 

  I guess there's nothing wrong with letting her call me daddy. She looks at me and smiles, pulling my wrist so that she can come closer and hug my neck. I never really had the best family so when I was young I dreamt of being part of a good family, getting married to a nice wife, I didn't really care about looks, and having a kid, raising him or her normally. I have the chance to live that dream and to see Bibi one more time so I guess I can live for a little bit longer, after all there's no real difference between life and death so a few more years living won't be to much trouble.

  "So what's your name?" I go ahead and sit back down, putting the girl on my lap while patting her head. "Umm my name is Alice, I am mommy's daughter and very very strong fairy. My name is Alice and I am ummm umm ten years old." That sounds more rehearsed than my last thanksgiving speech over at my buddy Attie's house, eh it's fine. She see's the hot pocket and looks at me. "Daddy, can I eat something else?" 

  ......Am I really going to have to waste a perfectly good hot pocket? "Are you sure you don't want to eat it. It only burned because it was hot. Wasn't it tasty?" She looks at me with a bit of an awkward smile, trying her hardest to decide what she want's to say. "Yup it's tasty but it hurts so I don't want it!" 

  Kid's smart enough to form sentences with big words but not smart enough to figure out that things cool down...sure sure. "Alright, I guess I'll eat it." I don't know what kind of education she got but if there's one thing I know is that a kid will eat anything if the adult acts like its the best thing ever while insulting their favorite food...seriously those bastards sent those brats to me too many times, even if they are family I should've charged. Eh not like it was all bad.

  "You know Alice I really like hot pockets, what's your favorite food?" She suddenly starts drooling. "I really really really like veggie stuffed hamburger patties. My mommy says that humans really like them so I ate it and liked it, humans have a lot of tasty food!" That reminds me she should be able to travel worlds and such with my permission, I guess I should give her world a visit after eating. 

  "Umm, daddy are you scared, mommy said that you would be very mean and call me a liar but you're super nice?" I go ahead and pat her head taking a bite out of the hot pocket, making sure to put on my best smile while she's staring at my face. "Hmm that's good, ah sorry I got a little distracted. Anyways can you just call me dad, daddy feels a little awkward, and I'm being nice because I met my daughter."

   I go ahead and lie a little bit as I can't just tell her, I don't really care and you already gave me plenty of reason to believe you little hot pocket wasting monster. 

  She stares at me while I eat, eventually tapping my leg. "Is it really tasty?" I look at her and put on a slightly different smile, putting the hot pocket back on the plate carefully since I don't want any more sauce to spill and ruin my precious table. 

  "Yup, and I'm sure if you give it another try and let it cool this time, you will really really like it, maybe even more than those stuffed patties." She looks at me, slightly squinting expressing clear doubt, eventually reaching out towards my hot pocket but I have to stop her as I already took a big bite, and honestly, I haven't brushed my teeth in a while so that's no good for her. I stand up and place Alice standing next to the seat. 

  "Sorry we have to make another one, can you wait?" She looks up at me once again, her stomach grumbling. "Alright how about while the new one cooks and cools you have some fruit, I have apples and pears, are those okay?"

  Her eyes start tearing up as she's too short to grab the hot pocket from the table top, even on her tip toes, and because I had everything specially made for my height. She's really set on that hot pocket huh? I go ahead and heat up another hot pocket for a few seconds less, dropping the fruit idea immediately considering how pissed she looks.

   I go ahead and move my plate back a little bit and place her hot pocket where it used to be, sitting down and placing Alice on my leg since she's a little too short to reach the plate without having less than a hundred percent chance of dropping it. "Here ya go, just make sure to blow on it after the first bite okay? I go ahead and blow on my hot pocket so she has an example

  "...okay." I go ahead and finish my hot pocket in a few bites then watch the kid so that she doesn't make another mess. The hot pocket isn't as hot so she can grab it however she wants. After blowing on it for a solid two minutes she takes a bite with her eyes closed, gasping then smiling. She starts eating pretty fast, practically shoving the thing in her mouth, covering her face in sauce and ruining the collar of her outfit. 

  While I am glad she didn't mess up my table and that my kids can't resist junk food theory was right I don't know what I'm going to do about her clothes. I guess after she finishes eating we'll head over to the shopping district since I don't think she'll be willing to be left alone.

  "Can I have more?"

  

5