Chapter 17. A Boy Who Comes Across a Home (Part 1)
220 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Nothing is here as well.”

The girl with short beige hair mumbled as she squinted her eyes at the brick wall of the well. It was the third one that we had examined, and we found nothing so far. 

Looking at her squatting and seriously searching for clues once again reminded me of how unbelievable this situation was. Before, I couldn't even imagine myself playing a ball game with other kids. And yet, I worked together with this girl—who I was barely acquainted with just two days ago, in a treasure-hunting game. 

“Young Master, would you like to go to the well in the backyard?”

“...Alright.”

Older Sister told us to have an adult companion as we searched the wells inside the mansion premises. But I felt bad taking up their time while they still had work to do. So, after the chief gardener showed us a well each in the inner and back garden, we asked for directions to the stable and came here by ourselves. One of the hostlers was with us a moment ago, but then he was called back and had to leave. Before he left, we asked him about other wells, and he pointed us to the backyard behind the kitchen. 

“We are closer to the east building, so let us go there first.”

Bellux Mansion's east and west buildings each housed a kitchen. Both were enormous to accommodate the daily meals of hundreds of workers. I remember how shocking it was to learn that the kitchens here were double the size of the Balfour Family dining hall, but that was not all. Everything in the Grand Duchy of Bellux was far more than I had imagined. 

“...It's hot.”

The sun shone brightly in the clear sky above. Although the cool breeze from the mountains felt nice, it was still a scorching hot afternoon in the middle of summer. Come to think of it, I first met the Grand Duke around this time last year. It was a ‘thrilling’ event I wouldn't be able to forget for the rest of my life.

[***] 

Every year, the Balfours hosted numerous parties. As usual, Uncle told me to help with their garden party preparations. I got up early this morning to finish setting up the garden, and after that, I holed myself up in my room. I planned to spend the day reading the books I had borrowed from the library. I even dared to ask for a loaf of bread much earlier than my scheduled lunch. I didn’t want Aunt to scold me again for sneaking into the kitchen while the party was still going on. 

I had prepared myself so that I wouldn't go hungry all day and could stay in my room until the party ended in the afternoon. However, a commotion came from the garden not long after the party started. I was worried, but Uncle and Aunt didn't like me wandering around the house and having the guests see me, so I tried to ignore the ruckus, but…

“Your Excellency, please wait! We cannot let this filthy place ruin your attire! Please be patient in the garden!”

Uncle’s cries could be heard from the end of the narrow corridor outside my room. Amidst numerous jumbled footsteps, his voice trembled with anxiousness. This was the first time I've heard him in such a panicked state, somehow it piqued my interest. Did an important guest make the wrong turn and end up in the back of the house? I wanted to take a look at the person who had made Uncle feel so scared—they had to be a noble with a greater standing than Uncle, but that’s a bad idea. Uncle would severely reprimand me if I dared to open my door right now. 

I shook my head, trying to concentrate on my book. Besides, I'm sure that important person had nothing to do with me. 

However, Uncle's impatient voice became louder and louder until it abruptly stopped when they were close to my room. While my heart was pounding fast with budding fear, I subconsciously stared at the door, waiting for the sound of footsteps to walk past…

…Huh? Why did they stop in front of my room? Could it be… that they weren't lost but came looking for me? No way, did I make a mistake in setting up the garden? What should I do? Uncle and Aunt will be mad at me—

*Knock, knock, knock*

Those steady soft knocks sounded so terrifying that my heart almost jumped out of my throat. My mind went blank instantly, all I could do was continue to stare at the door until a heavy thud jolted me awake. Apparently, the book slipped from my hands and fell onto the floor. I scrambled down to pick it up when an unfamiliar voice of a man called out from the other side of the door.

“Pardon me, are you alright in there?”

“Ye-y-yes! I-I'm alright—mft!!” Oh, no! I answered without thinking!

“Thank goodness. If you're fine with it, may I come into your room? I want to talk to you.”

…It's too late to pretend like no one is in the room. What should I do? Should I let him in? He…sounds calm and polite rather than angry... Maybe it's not because I made a mistake? Then, why would someone like him want to meet with me? What does he want to talk about?

His friendly tone caught my curiosity once more. If this man wasn't mad at me, perhaps Uncle wasn't either. So, after a little hesitation, I decided to let him inside my room. 

To be honest, there was no need for me to think that hard because the option of rejecting him was gone the moment I answered him. An orphan like me couldn't possibly refuse a high-ranked noble like him and then get away with it. I tried to convince myself that everything should be fine, but my hand on the doorknob was trembling so much that pulling open the door became a struggle. 

In the end, the door only managed to open wide enough to allow a small peek outside. The first thing I saw through the opening was Uncle's annoyed face, and I couldn’t help but freeze up. The urge to close the door came rushing, however, it was halted by a joyful greeting.

“Hello there. May I come in?”

I froze for the third time, but the cause was different than the previous two.

I'd never seen such a beautiful man before—long, shining silver hair; deep purple almond eyes; a gorgeous, well-proportioned face—as if he'd stepped out of a painting. This gentleman exuded such an obvious aura of nobility and majesty, that I won’t be surprised if he was a member of the Royal Family. Even so, his smile was warm and friendly, unlike the proud image I had of the nobles.

I was stunned for a long time and could only respond with a sloppy nod as my mind was still in a haze. His smile widened as he carefully pushed open the door. I only noticed I'd been blocking the door until it softly bumped into me. The gentleman laughed as he saw me hastily take a few steps back.

“I apologize for suddenly visiting you like this, but there's no need to be so nervous.”

…That’s impossible. 

When I saw him stepping into my room, I had to agree with what Uncle said; he shouldn't let his attire get dirty by being here. It wasn’t as luxurious and embellished as the attire of those nobles who usually attended Balfour family parties. Nonetheless, it was clean and elegant and fit his calm, intelligent character perfectly. Even though I knew next to nothing about clothing and accessories, I could tell that everything he wore was pricey. He seemed completely out of place in my small, cramped room, like a sparkling gem thrown into a heap of garbage. 

Out of the blue, I felt very embarrassed. Not wanting to witness his face twist with disgust after seeing my room, I turned my face away. But then my eyes met Uncle's as he passed through the doorway following the gentleman. Uncle was mad, extremely so. He was glaring at me so intensely I could feel my cheek sting as if he’d hit me already. I buried my head between my shoulders, not daring to lift my face.

The sound of my heart thumping was so deafening that my head began to feel dizzy. It seemed like the gentleman said something to Uncle, but my ears could barely hear anything over my heartbeat. 

“With all due respect, Your Excellency, but this child—”

“Baron. Don’t you think it would be discourteous for the party’s host to be absent for so long?”

I was startled when Uncle raised his voice, but shivers ran down my spine when the gentleman cut his words off. His tone remained calm and didn't even increase one pitch, yet I swear the room temperature dropped several degrees when he talked. 

Strange silence filled the room before I heard Uncle’s voice again.

“...Then, please excuse me.”

He sounded like he was speaking through clenched teeth. When the door closed beside me, I still couldn't get my head around what had just happened. 

…What? Why did Uncle leave? …Am I alone with this gentleman right now? Wha-what should I do?! I’ve never spoken to a high-ranked noble before! What if I say something rude?! What if I upset him?! I’ll be punished and thrown into prison! …Wait, isn’t he upset already?! Uncle’s scary, but just now, that just now, he… reprimanded Uncle, right?!

“Are you alright? Are you feeling unwell?”

Abruptly, a voice from a very close distance spoke to me. I was forced to raise my head, only to find the gentleman kneeling in front of me, his face full of concern. I was taken aback again and again, to the point where I couldn’t contain myself anymore. 

“A-are yo-you a-angry?”

I flung my head back down the moment I heard my own voice. I sounded worse than a choking chicken, not to mention, the dumb question I’d just blurted. My face and ears became hot, and tears blurred my vision. I knew that crying would only make things worse, but I couldn’t hold it in. My heart hasn't stopped pounding since earlier, it’s even gotten harder and louder…

Oh, no, I’ve been rude…! I’ve been rude…! ‘You’ve been rude…’ I’ve been rude…! Uncle will be mad…! ‘He’s mad already, you’ll be punished…’ I’ll be punished…! ‘He’s going to hit you again…’ I’m going to get hit…! ‘You won’t get dinner again tonight…’ I won’t get—

“Theodore.”

“!!!”

The gentleman knew my name. I was in such a shock that my heart and mind came to a halt. A second later, doubts and curiosity swarmed inside my head, all I could do was stand still and straight as a stone. 

I had no idea how long it had been since he called out my name. When I eventually mustered enough courage to peek at him, he was still there, in the same kneeling position. He didn't seem to care that his navy expensive-looking trousers were rubbing up against the dirty floor of my room. 

Instead of concern, a tender smile adorned his face now. He looked straight at me, but I felt no fear when I locked eyes with him. On top of that, I had the illusion that his purple eyes reflected my silhouette, as if I was the only thing that mattered to him right now...

His eyes… Like Mom’s…

“Looks like I've frightened you, I'm sorry.”

He sighed in relief when he noticed I wasn't looking away from him anymore. He spoke more casually and no longer used polite words. Perhaps he wanted to lighten the mood? He seemed to feel bad for scaring me. 

I wasn’t sure that my voice wouldn't crack like it had before, so I shook my head to show him that I was fine, even though I had been terrified of him earlier. But he didn't appear convinced, so I tried to smile. From his reaction, my face must've looked weird, but it was only a second before he chuckled.

His laughter was the only sound that echoed inside the room while I was flustered by his sudden burst. He looked around the room after calming down and seemed to be interested in the books stacking up on top of my bed. He stood up and picked up the book I meant to finish today.

“I know this one. It’s my favorite. Do you like books?”

His words surprised me, but it was a pleasant one. It helped me find my voice and we began talking about books. 

It looked surreal when a dignified and graceful person like him sat on a humble, rickety chair, but that’s the only one I have in my room. As I bent my legs to sit on the floor, he got up, lifted me, and placed me on top of the bed. He moved so quickly that I didn't even have time to gasp in amazement. I didn’t think it was a good idea to speak to someone while sitting on a bed, but I guessed I had no choice but to obey if he wanted me to.

I hadn't talked about my interests since Mom died, and I didn't have any other friends to do so. That’s why I didn’t know I could talk with such passion for so long. I got a bit scared of myself, but I had to admit it was so much fun I didn't even notice my throat was drying up. The gentleman had to pour me a glass of water when I started coughing. To have a guest help me like this was certainly impolite, yet he was so kind that my nervousness was gone without me realizing it. Somehow, I already felt safe with him and didn’t want our time together to end. 

Is it alright to feel this way? 

Just then, a clamorous applause erupted from the garden’s direction. As I remembered about the party, the sight of the afternoon’s orange sky chilled my body instantly.

“I-I’m really sorry!! I’ve been talking endlessly!! The party—!”

Seeing me jump down the bed in panic, the gentleman raised his hand, and I instinctively closed my mouth. Was it just me or was his smile wider than before? He tried to calm me down by saying some comforting words. But there was no way I could, not when I was reminded of Uncle's displeasure. After he left, the Balfour definitely wouldn't let me go with just an earful. 

We had fun discussing various books, so much so that I dared to consider this person, who was way out of my league, as a 'friend'. That’s why I didn't want to think of him as someone who finds other people's fear amusing. And yet, his grin gave me the impression that he was fighting back a laugh.

“It's alright. This is my fault for having such a great time talking with you that I lost track of time. I'll apologize to the Baron later, so you don’t need to worry.”

When he stood up from the chair, that grin disappeared. Both his smile and voice had returned to the calm and gentle ones, but at the same time, they felt different. It made me unconsciously straighten my back in attention. 

In the end, I guessed he managed to reassure me with those words because I could send him off and say goodbye with a somewhat light heart.

…Oh, right. What was it that he wanted to talk to me about? …I didn’t even ask for his name.

The rest of that day was shockingly uneventful. Just like that gentleman said, I didn’t have to worry about the Balfour punishing me. On the contrary, I thought they were behaving weirdly. When I went to help clean up after the party like always, Uncle kicked me out of the garden, claiming that they didn't need any help. He was clearly upset, but he suppressed it so hard that his face twisted bizarrely. Aunt and my cousins were all in the garden, clearing up the utensils and teacups, but none of them paid any attention to me, even though usually they would order me around when it was time to clean up.

Their unusual behavior continued in the days after. Uncle no longer used a harsh, commanding tone while he spoke to me. In fact, his words became more and more short as the days went by. He also gave me fewer house chores and didn’t allow me when I offered to help my cousins with their chores. Not only Uncle but Aunt also avoided me like I was a vermin. She didn’t even want to meet eyes with me. My cousins never tried to pick on me again. Instead, they would run away at the sight of me while crying out something like, “Run! Or the boss will get you too!” I had no idea what they were talking about. 

Is this some sort of prank? But if it is, why are Uncle and Aunt ignoring me too? They’re acting as if I don't exist… Are they going to abandon me? Will they send me back to the orphanage? No way…

Yet, despite them treating me like air, I was given more food for my meals every day and new clothes occasionally. The maids even helped me dust my room without grumbling. As long as I finished my chores, they would leave me alone, so now I had more time to read books. It felt like a dream, I was so excited that I read all the books in the library in less than a month. Sometimes, I was anxious about this change in treatment, but this life was still better.

While I was torn between joy and worry, an unexpected guest came to visit me. It was the gentleman from that garden party day. I was convinced that we would never meet again, so I was very happy to see him.

“Your Excellency, if you would allow me, may I know of your name?”

We were in the garden, quietly enjoying reading time together under the shade of the trees when I suddenly remembered it. He raised his brows as he turned to me, but his surprise lasted barely a second before he fell silent. He didn't say anything for a long time, as if he was thinking about something difficult. I started to feel bad, wondering whether I had asked a question that I shouldn't have.

“Please call me Fran, Theo.”

I was just about to take my question back when he answered me. It seemed like it was really something that was hard for him to answer. After all, he only gave me what sounded like to be his nickname. He didn't give me his surname, even though most nobles would proudly flaunt it without anyone asking. 

I shouldn’t ask any further. “Understood, Lord Fran.”

When I said obediently, he silently gazed at me with an apologetic smile. He was such a benevolent man that he felt bad for keeping a secret from a kid like me.

Since our second meeting, he had come to visit me every week, usually on the fifth or sixth day. Each time, he brought me a new book, which, strangely, was always on a topic I'd mentioned being interested in. I was thrilled thinking he might have cared about me, but then I realized how impudent I had been for daring to think so, and stopped myself from thinking anymore. 

However, I eventually discovered that the extra bread in my meals and the new clothes given to me were all provided by Lord Fran. 

I wonder, why is he so nice to me? Is he related to Mom in any way? Or perhaps, Dad? If that's the case, why is he keeping it hidden? …What exactly does he want from me?

As the days went by, more and more questions arose. I was too afraid to ask him because I felt like he would stop seeing me if I did. I'd rather keep my mouth shut than lose my one and only 'friend'. Still, as my anxiety grew, it became harder to speak with him normally. 

“—o? Theo? Are you alright?”

“Huh?! Oh, yes! I'm fine.” What am I doing?! Even though he finally visited again after 3 months...  

“...You seem distracted. Did something happen? Did your uncle and the others do something to you?”

“What?! No, they've been—nice lately, so I'm alright.”

“Is that true?”

I nodded my head frantically to convince him. After getting to know him these past few months, I understood that he's someone you should never anger no matter what. I didn’t know what happened, but the Balfours seemed to be terrified of him. Uncle kept his head bowed when he talked to Lord Fran. He never raised his voice like the last time, and sometimes his face was as white as a sheet. Aunt won't come out of her room when Lord Fran visits, always claiming to be sick. The “boss” that my cousins had mentioned before might be referring to him as well. 

“But, you indeed seem tired. Let’s end it here for today.”

“What?”

“Oh, you don’t have to send me off. You don’t have any more chores for today, right? Just wash up and go to bed early.”

He stood up before I could say anything and stopped me when he noticed I intended to follow him. Seeing him about to walk towards the door, I panicked. 

“!! ...What’s wrong?”

He abruptly turned back, his face troubled. I was perplexed at first until I noticed how hard my hand had gripped the edge of his coat. I hurriedly let go and hid my hand behind my back as my face burned. 

How embarrassing! Why did I do that?! Grabbing onto him like that, it’s beyond impolite! He’s concerned because I’ve been spacing out, and now he’ll really think that something has happened…

“Theo, is there something you want to tell me?” 

He kneeled in front of me, smiling gently like he always did. He gazed straight into my eyes and I felt like he could see right through me. 

“...Lord Fran.”

“Yes?”

“...Why are you so kind to me?”

The silence that followed terrified me. I didn’t dare to continue meeting his eyes, and my loud heartbeat began to deafen my ears. When I heard him exhale deeply, I knew what I feared was going to happen...

“A few matters still need to be settled first, but… Well, I suppose there's no harm in asking you now.”

Lord Fran slowly reached for my hands behind my back. He squeezed them lightly as if to reassure me, his gaze gentle, yet I could sense his seriousness.

“Theo, would you like to be part of my family and have a new home with us?”

[***]

“*Chuckles*”

“Young Master? What’s the matter?”

A girl's voice brought me back to the present time. She stared at me, perplexed, because I laughed out of the blue. 

“Ah, apologies. I'm just recalling something hilarious.”

Although still confused, she didn't inquire any further. There was no accusation in her eyes that I might be thinking something rude about her. She just smiled cheerfully as if she shared my amusement.

…She's not like the children from the orphanage or my cousins. But that was most likely due to my position being higher than her. In that sense, she's different from Older Sister.

“Oh! Young Master, could that be the well we are looking for?”

Hidden under a huge cedar tree, an old well stood quietly. The moss-covered stone walls gave the impression that no one had used it again, but the surrounding ground was still damp and the well's opening wasn’t closed. So, maybe one of the servants had just taken water from it. 

The wind blew, causing the leaves to dance. The rustling sound was soothing and it felt cool under the tree's shade. 

“Young Master, are you really alright? Your face seems to be flushed.”

“What? …Now that you mention it, I do feel a bit lightheaded.”

I uttered that without thinking, and I got to witness her expression shift from worried to blank, then stunned, alarmed, and finally nervous. How curious.

“Is that true?! Oh, no! Please take a break, Young Master! Here, please take a seat on this stool! Umm, it's a little… old but it's still strong.”

Out of nowhere, she grabbed a small stool and urged me to sit down. Seeing as it was full of water stains, she even laid a handkerchief on its surface to keep my pants from getting dirty. 

…She feels a lot like her father when she gets like this.

“Um, Young Master, is the kitchen that way? Please wait a moment while I arrange for someone to bring you clean water to drink.”

“Huh? Wai— and now she's gone…” I really am fine, though. She doesn't have to be so high-strung.

However, her fidgety behavior felt nostalgic indeed, perhaps that's why I kept recalling the past. After all, I was certain I was exactly like her when I found out who “Lord Fran” really was.

 

Merry Christmas! 

This isn't much, but it's my gift to the readers who have remained following this series up until now. Thank you for taking the time to read "Ordinary Mage". 

The new year of 2024 is only a few days away, I will publish the second part shortly following the celebration. I hope you're looking forward to it.

6