Chapter 20 – Awakening
768 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A day passed, then another. While she didn’t wake up yet, her fever receded, veins returning to a normal color. I lifted her up again, giving her some water to stop her from dehydrating. We spent the last two days hunting on the island, securing a steady income of meat while leveling up, and also found a spring, which allowed us to stay for a longer time.

“We need to get more water soon.”

“I’ll go.” Alice stood up and took the backpack, walking over towards the entrance.

“Be careful.”

“It’s just a short distance towards the pond. I’ll be safe.” She stepped outward, waving her hand at me.

She’s still to carefree. Well, at least she’s strong enough.

After the tree burned down the surviving cranes scattered, leaving the island to the next predator. Now it was filled with ants, bursting out of the ground, attacking everything in sight to devour it. There were a few times they attacked us, but they were easily repelled, the increase in my damage through the title visibly effective.

But the real surprise was Alice’s strength, capable of smashing through the carapace of the ants without using any special skill, only her sword. Typically, these things should be a struggle to fight against as most survivors lacked the ability to do them any damage, given how they split their points for multiple skills or wasted their attribute points at unneeded stuff.

I rested my back against the wall, looking over my body and stats. The wounds have nearly healed. My ribcage still needs one, maybe two days. Status.

At least the percentage by race isn’t going down anymore. Should have been the inflammation of my hair. The psychic stats are coming along fine but seeing how the last boss went I should pour some points into endurance. That should do it.

Name:

Agni

Race:

Human (92%)

Job:

Wizard

Level:

41

Titles:

‘Last Survivor’; + 5 others

Attributes:

 

 

 

Physical

 

Psychic

 

Strength

10

Intelligence

70

Agility

15

Psyche

30

Endurance

22

Willpower

15

Stamina

10

Perception

30

Free Attribute Points:

0

 

 

 

Nearly at the point to choose my specialization. Finally going to get enough skill points then.

As I finished looking my status, I heard noises coming from beside me. I looked around to see the girl shifting around, finally starting to wake up. I stepped over as she opened her eyes. Seeing an unknown man in an unknown environment she tried to back away, only to collapse again, her body still weakened.

“Easy there, you just came back to the land of the living.” Even if it turned into hell. “You okay?”

Then she started to calm down, the pain in her body resurfacing. “Ouch, damn, it hurts!”

“No wonder, you nearly died back there.”

When she tried to sit upright, I stepped nearer, helping her lean against the wall.

“We went through the swamp. Then I started to get fizzy and… what happened then?”

“You were poisoned back then, by a crane. You were lucky I knew about the antidote.”

“Thanks, I guess. What happened to the woman I was with?”

As if on cue Alice happened to come back when she was asked about.

“You’re awake!” She ran into the tunnel, letting the backpack fall onto the floor before she let herself fall down near us, coming to a stop aside of us. Does she want to look over her or fall on her? As I managed to suppress a sigh Alice started to bombarde the girl.

“How are you? I was so worried. If it wasn’t for Agni, I wouldn’t have known what to do.” While relief seemed to take her over her voice was still underlaid with worry.

Seeing her the girl showed a weak smile, trying to reassure her. “It hurts but I’m okay.”

“I’m so glad.” When her worry faded tears started to fall from her eyes. Still unused to seeing a human die, tearing up so quickly from relief. Or am I just too coldblooded?

I rustled through her hair, trying to distract her. “This crying mess here’s Alice. And as you already heard I’m Agni.”

“Sarah. My name is Sarah.” Right, that was her name.

I stood up, and got over to the entrance, grabbing the backpack along the way. “You must be hungry. Sorry to keep you waiting but we don’t have any preserved food, wanted to bring back something from hunting. Rest some more till then.”

I stepped outside, the midday light stinging my eyes. Now, what to eat for dinner? I let my view wander around the scenery. The nearby planes were empty, with a few ants scurrying around in the distance. Nothing good around here…

I walked away from the cave, further into the island. In the distance stood the remains of the tree, burned down completely with only a few blackened branches remaining on top, the rest fell to the ground.

Once again, I came across the bushes I saw when we came onto the island. Maybe... Analyze.

Callipa Berries

Berries of a callipa bush, commonly found in areas with high moisture and moderate temperature.

While the leaves of it contain strong neurotoxin, released on contact, its berries are edible.

The plant itself feeds on the animals it lured towards itself.

Haaaaa,” why is nearly everything in this dungeon poisonous. It makes it hard to belief that the goblins can even survive in here. I summoned a small flame, letting it burn down the leaves, before I grabbed some berries.

Better than nothing. Probably even good for Sarah as she just woke up and shouldn’t directly eat meat. I picked a few more bushes, preparing to go back afterwards, when I felt the ground rumbling. I turned around, seeing the origin of it. There’s the dinner.

 

I got back to the cave, pulling the corpse of a monster behind me. I stepped into the cave, seeing Alice and Sarah happily chatting with each other, not noticing my arrival.

“He seriously expected me to run around in men’s clothes we stole from some apartment. Not like these ones aren’t stolen, but those before just sagged down, slowly revealing my ass over time. I bet he just wanted to take a look.”

Damn, just what are you telling her… I felt a vein pulsate at my temple as I sneaked up at her. Sarah wanted to warn her, but my fist was faster, slamming on top of her head.

“Ouch!” She jerked her head down, holding her temple with both hands. “What are you doing?”

“Same question to you.” I let out a sigh as I pulled out a small bag with the berries, holding them out towards Sarah. “Take these for now. Better than directly eating meat after starving. I’ll borrow your sword again.”

As I grabbed the sword and walked back outwards, I heard Alice continue. “Trust me, he’s a perv. The first thing I got from him was a piece of leather to cover myself with. And it didn’t cover everything.”

26