Chapter 23 – The outskirts
703 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A goblin flew backwards, crashing into two others and making them all roll over the ground. As they tried to stand once more a chain came onto them, crashing into the skull of one of them.

“You can’t say anything against your title with the way you fight.”

An arrow flew past Alice, drilling into the flesh of another goblin. As the last one turned around, trying to flee from us a circle lit up beneath him, flames rising upwards and incinerating him. As time passed we ran into more and more of their kind.

Haaaa, why couldn’t it have been something like swordsmen or knight?”

“I don’t think any of them would be walking around in chains.”

Alice glared at me, before staring at her left arm, chains dangling down from the handcuff.

“Can’t you do something about this? Melt down the lock or something!”

“If you want to be burnt while I heat it we can do so.”

“No thanks.” She turned away, walking in front once more.

“Don’t worry about it. Just be happy about the bonusses that came with the title. At least your title is for a warrior. Mine is ‘Arsonist’.”

“Hahaha, seeing how you only use fire it’s no wonder.” At least my title seemed to lift her mood once more.

As Alice strode onwards I looked towards Sarah, who silently followed our conversation. She looked down at her bow, tightly clenched in her hand. “You’ll get stronger soon.” I ruffled through her hair, distracting her from her thoughts. “We’re just ahead of you as we’re fighting for a longer time. You should be far stronger than anybody outside the dungeon.”

We caught up to Alice, stopping shortly behind her. In front of us I felt a presence, waiting to strike at us. But as I wanted to create a spell circle I heard a string being pulled behind me. I released my control over the circle before felling an arrow brush past me, flying through the foliage into a tree, followed by a loud thud as a body crashed into the ground.

“Your perception is already as high as mine, if not even higher, huh?”

“The gifts of being an archer.” Sarah rushed past us, towards the body lying on the ground. She grabbed the arrow, trying to pull it out, only for it to break in her hand. “Not again.”

“Forget about getting these back.”

“But I already emptied one quiver from the last two goblin archers.”

“And we’ll find more, we’re nearly there.”

“At the settlement of the goblins.”

Color me surprised. “Why do you think that?”

“There are more and more of them, like patrols. Given the danger of the beast they should have something like a base. And then there’s this guy who only thinks about leveling up next to us.”

“Ignoring the last point, you’re right.”

“The only questions left is how you’re knowing these things.” Sarah looked at me curiously.

“Call it wisdom of a trade.”

“Chee.” Sarah clicked her tongue.

“Forget it, he didn’t tell me either.”

We walked onwards before Sarah stopped us once more.

“They are in front of us, dozens of them.”

We crouched down, sneaking forwards through the greenery until we were able to see the goblins. A palisade made of thick trees surrounded an encampment filled with tents. Wind blew our way, carrying the smell of blood with it. Signs of a successful hunt?

We stepped around it, walking a few minutes before we found a gate that led inside, guarded by four hobgoblins. Inside we could see others surrounding fireplaces as they grilled some kind of meat.

“Is that their main camp?” Alice stared at the camp.

“Do you really think so? This is just a small camp on the outside, they wouldn’t survive if they were attacked by a beast horde with that little strength.”

“Can we fight that many of them?” Sarah asked worriedly.

Alice cracked her knuckles before grabbing the hilt of her sword, ready to storm inside. “They’re not that dangerous anymore.”

I grabbed her by the neck, pulling her back before she just stormed inside. “Their numbers still are. We only fought against twenty at the same time at most. And then they were only hobgoblins. There should be a few mages and generals.” My mention of the generals seemingly calmed Alice down, holding her back from rushing into the camp.

We turned around, trying to step away from the settlement only to run into a patrol coming back towards it. We stepped back into the foliage, trying to hide from them. But as we stepped backwards a crack resounded from Alice stepping on a branch.

A goblins ear twitched when it resounded. He slowly came near us, weary of the noise. It came nearer and nearer till Alice shot out, felling it, before arrows and Fireballs took out the next pair. Soon they were done, though the damage was done as the noises alarmed the camp, the guards of the gate walking towards us.

“Seems like the element of surprise is gone.” Alice said before she slowly started walking towards the settlement. Damn, what is she doing?

When the goblins saw her, they rushed at her, not wary at all of the lone woman. But before the first one even had the chance to strike her sword flashed, separating its hand from its body. It screamed out, alarming the other goblins. The other three goblins left of the guard started to surround her, wary of the sudden display of skill.

Haaa, we could’ve just run away for now. Let’s cover for her.” I stepped forward, Sarah following behind me. I created a circle beneath me, before fire shot outwards, lifting into the sky as flaming birds before it crashed down onto their tents. Beside me arrow after arrow shot outwards, homing in towards the gate and felling the goblins stepping outside it.

Meanwhile Alice made crushed all the goblins beside her, rushing towards the gate. We ran after her, prepared to cover her back but any goblin that wasn’t bisected by her sword was either smashed aside with the chain or kicked towards another one.

She’s got strong, but she’s too overconfident. As we came nearer I saw the true danger in the distance, hastily creating a barrier before spear of stone shot forwards, nearly impaling Alice. The impact near her shocked her, stopping her for a short moment as another goblin struck at her. An arrow crashed into it, striking it away, but not before it licked blood.

“Alice, are you okay?” Sarah dashed to her as I created a Firewall, blocking the goblins view, stopping them from coming near us.

Alice held her shoulder, blood trickling down her arm. “Shit, it hurts.”

“That’s what you get for underestimating them. Don’t think that they are all as weak as those we met outside.”

She glared at me, hissing in pain once more, before she took in a deep breath. As she exhaled she looked towards the fire, this time more careful.

“Calmed down?” She nodded, still watching the fire. “Good. I’d have liked to have a sneak attack but I believe that is impossible now.” I felt tremors past the fire but opposed to my expectations our next enemy came through the palisade, a giant sword pushing its way through it.

What came outside was a hulking mass of a goblin, dark green in color. It dragged its sword over the ground, a six-foot-long blade which weight alone cut into the earth. Its movement seemed slow, only for it to jump suddenly, swinging its blade upwards before crashing down towards us. There’s a goblin lord here?

I jumped back, pulling Sarah with me. The blow crashed into the ground, blowing chunks of dirt and stone all around blocking our view. Alice landed near us a second later, mud over her clothing and scratches over her body but nothing serious.

When the lasts bits of earth fell down once more we saw the goblin getting into stance again, the Firewall behind it slowly getting weaker as mud started to cover it. It blocked us from coming near, while also waiting to strike in case we want to run away. I struck out with my flames, trying to burn its skin, but it swung its sword, the wind pressure throwing the Fireballs of their path. I need to use bigger spells, but it will evade them without preparation. Seeing how I struggled Alice rushed forward, but the sheer mass of the sword made enough of an obstacle to keep her away.

Then the fire behind it ceased to exist, a small staff ticking over the ground as a grey goblin covered in robes strode forward, the earth twisting like snakes around him.

18