Chapter 27 – Rain and wind
639 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although the night ended it barely got brighter thanks to the storm. As more and more goblins passed down beneath us, we decided to pack up once more and leave this place, even if I could just barely walk at the moment. But instead of running away we sneaked further into the empire as they searched us in the far outskirts of it.

The landscape got lusher, trees and bushes growing far more often, and the last few remains of the swamp disappeared completely. Though this helped us in sneaking towards here it further limited our vision, nearly making us walk right into another patrol.

“Stop.” Sarah whispered, holding out her hand and blocking our way.

“Another patrol?”

She nodded, fixing an arrow on her string.

“You both take care of them.”

“Wouldn’t it be better for you to level up and heal?”

I sighed before telling them about my condition. “Can’t get any experience till I’m fully healed. Therefore, you both should take it. I’m way higher leveled than you two anyway.”

“Show-off.” Alice tried to accompany my way to lighten the mood, but the worry in her voice told a different story. Still she got up, lifting the giant sword we got from the goblin lord from her back and strode forwards to step into the way of the patrol. Sarah on the other hand disappeared into the foliage, waiting for her chance to rain arrows on them.

When the goblins came into view they were much more careful than those we met before, having heard of the death of one of their best warriors, and send one of their group running back towards the next settlement. Though he would never get there, as a whistle followed his leave, then a loud thud after which only silence remained.

Her perception is definitely higher than mine by now, even I couldn’t see that goblin anymore.

As Sarah’s arrow flew out Alice rushed forward, swinging the heavy sword as easy as the little one she had before, only that her brutish strength allowed her to cleave through two to three at the same time.

While the goblins had plans to fight back at first they quickly turned around, running back the way they came from. Still, they soon stopped, lying face first in the grass, their body bisected or pierced in lethal areas. There they lay, either until another patrol passed by or beast fed on their remains.

Like this we passed the days, hunting down goblins or whatever beast we came upon in the dark, all until I was sure that the two could take care of a settlement alone. This time however we approached more carefully, looking out for any enemy that could pose a serious threat like the lord.

The settlement was inside a depression, a small hill rising up behind it with small caves dug inside, big enough to allow the goblins to stay inside. Other than that, it were just the usual tents, though it wasn’t surrounded by a palisade anymore, as we walked far into their territory. Fires lit up the settlement, the only source of light through the rainstorm.

“How many?”

After a short moment Sarah answered. “Three generals and one mage. Two of the generals have longswords, one wields two shortswords. But…” She stopped for a second, taking another look towards the hill. “There’s something inside this hill. There’s light coming out of one of the caves, but far weaker than any other cave, It should lead further down.

There is only one thing these things do underground apart from resting. But are they already ready to witness it? But as I contemplated on the outcome Alice stepped forwards.

“We should be fine. We fought evenly with a mage two weeks ago. Even if it’s a little stronger than the one before it should end quickly. And as for the generals,” she lifted her sword, “I don’t think that they can block my attack.”

In agreement with Alice Sarah stepped forward, tightening the grip on her bow. Haaa, do whatever you want.

“I’ll stay up here while you take care of it. If there’s a need I will intervene to help.”

“You stay here and rest up.” When she finished her words, she started to rush downwards to the settlement. Sarah instead stayed next to me, filling her bow and arrow with mana. When the arrow was let loose it flew forward before leaning downwards straight toward the mage. But opposed to impaling the unaware mage the arrow crashed sideways just before stabbing into him, as if struck down by an unknown force.

Noticing the disturbance, the mage shot around, screaming out as he raised his staff towards us. Sarah nocked on another arrow, wanting to shoot at it, but before she could let it loose I pulled her down.

“What are you…”

Before she could finish her words, winds rushed past us, grass and leaves rustling before falling towards the ground cut into pieces.

“Thanks.”

“Be careful of wind magic, there are a few spells which are nearly invisible.” As we stood up once more we heard Alice shouting out while she slammed her blade on the first general, corpses of goblins and hobgoblins already strewn around her. The general lifted its longsword, trying to block the slash of a seemingly feeble only for it to be split apart, just like its body afterwards.

I created a barrier, blocking another attack from the mage, this time aimed towards Alice. Winds rushed forward, cutting through anything in their way, leaving only the spot around Alice intact as the barrier blocked it.

When the mage prepared another spell Sarah once again, let loose an arrow, this one crashing sideways just like the one before it. I thought about giving her a hint but before it was necessary she already lifted her bow, pointing it high into the sky.

“[Arrow Rain].” I raised another barrier, blocking the wind rushing towards us as her arrow disappeared into the clouds. Then, a moment later, hidden beneath the drops of water her arrow shot downwards, splitting into multiple arrows. Those who came down around the mage were smashed away, just like any other before them but the few which came down on top of it just passed right through its barrier, stabbing into its head and shoulders.

As she saw the mage die Sarah quickly switched her targets, piercing one goblin after another, even the second general, which tried to dodge Alice only to meet his end with her arrows. Then we started to walk towards Alice, standing in front of the hill, the last few goblins led by the general with two swords blocking her way.

She swung her sword at it, only for it to dodge under it. As it rushed at her she sent a kick its way, sending it backwards but not managing to hurt it. The two looked at each other in a standoff, her having problems with the fastest foe she ever met, it unable to get near her. But it all ended quickly when Sarah shot an arrow towards it, the goblin trying to dodge only to meet with the blade of the sword when its movement was sealed.

With the fall of the last general the other goblins soon followed the same fate. As it turned silent once more quiet sobbing could be heard coming out of the darker cave, accompanied by shrieks of goblins. The two walked towards it, curious about the unusual noise but before they had a chance to get near I send my flames inside, pained screams coming outwards until I sealed the cave with an exploding Fireball.

“What was in there?”

“Goblin children.” I turned around, walking away from the hill. At least the don’t recognize the scream of a burning human yet.

18