Chapter 34 – Death of a companion
611 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cold wind passed by us as I ran towards the water. In a blink of the eye the mist froze, turning into snow and falling down to the ground. There I could see flames rushing past us towards the water. But instead of evaporating it or being extinguished it crossed over it as everything turned into ice.

Quickly it sped over the surface, the ice spreading with it as it even trapped the tentacles coming outside, now helplessly swinging around as they couldn’t move like they wanted. We speed over the surface, leaving the stunned goblins behind us. I looked behind me, seeing Alice dragging Agni behind her. Just like he said. He would create a chance to let us escape.

The goblin got out of their stupor, chasing behind us as they started to ride towards the ice. Too late though. I can already hear it.

Crack.

Visible cracks started to spread out from the tentacles frozen in place before chunks of ice broke apart, flying upwards as they beast beneath it broke free. A giant maw pushed outside filled with rows upon rows of razor-sharp teeth. With a last pull it freed its tentacle, shards of ice flying all around as they were flung away by the sheer might of its body.

Once again, the goblins stopped in their step as it came out right between them and their prey. But instead of indiscriminately attacking everything in sight it only swung its tentacles towards them, ignoring us who ran behind it. Opposed to its precise attacks before it felt more uncontrolled now, mostly swinging left and right, like it was hoping to hit anything at all, its downward swings nearly missing completely. Is it blind?

Still it was enough to hinder them, making it possible for us to once again distance ourselves from them. Slowly the snow stopped while the mist came back, the ice cracking beneath our feet as it got thinner and thinner. I slowed down, waiting for the others to catch up, the soldiers by my side collapsing on the ground. Seconds later the familiar shine of Agni’s flames came through the mist.

“It’s thin enough to crack by now.”

“Okay, I’ll freeze the surface once more.”

He says it like its easy. He tried to hide it, but I could see the signs of exhaustion, he started to sweat, his breathing a bit erratic. Even his flaming hair looked somewhat different, lacking luster. He stepped forward, closing his eyes. To others it may have looked like he didn’t do anything but after I changed my job I could finally see it, massive streams of mana flowing out of him to form complex structures.

Quickly he was finished, a skill needed if one wanted to use such things in combat, but the visible worsening of his condition showed that what he did was by no means easy. Once more the cold flames appeared, this time though they flowed more slowly, still freezing the water but only enough to carefully walk over the surface, forming some sort of bridge. As he started to stagger Alice quickly stepped up to him, helping him standing up. Then she looked at me.

“I know…” I turned towards the soldiers. “Hey, you two.”

As I spoke to them they lifted their heads to look up at me.

“Help him get out of here.”

“What about you?” They stood up once more, walking over to Agni.

“There’s still someone waiting for our attention.”

“I can… still fight.”

Alice knocked him out, before passing him over to the soldiers. “You can’t even stand straight.” Then she turned around, facing the way we came from.

“Go! Even if you have to drag him!” I shouted at the soldiers, making them pass the frozen bridge. Never had I been happier that he choose a job with low physical stats. Then I stepped next to Alice as I knocked one of my few remaining arrows on the bowstring. “Why don’t you come out now?” A moment of silence passed. But then I could hear it again.

Crack. Crack.

Out of the mist a black snout appeared, followed by a big maw with glistening teeth. Little by little it became visible, black fur with red streaks, the tip of a spear, covered in black blood, and finally the rider. The goblin was furious, having lost so many of its subordinates, having to fend of that thing.

As it was completely visible it ordered its steed to sprint, elongated claws scratching over the ice. Alice shot forward to stand against it, pulling her sword back. Wind started to gather on her blade as she swung it forward.

The beast opposed it by lifting its claw, smashing it against the blade. The wind rushed forward, striking at the fur of the beast, making it bleed, but it weren’t more than shallow wounds, the sword stopped in midair.

The goblin readied his spear in the meantime, waiting for his chance to strike at her. As if I would let you! I pulled the string, coursing my mana into the arrow. “[Power Shot]!” The arrow flew forward, colliding against the spear and diverting it. It dug into the ice, splinters shooting out around it, but Alice had the chance to step back, freeing her sword.

Quickly the warg followed up with its next attack, its teeth rushing forward to bite her in two. Unable to prepare for another strike in return she lifted her sword in front, holding it horizontally to stop it from closing its maw while she pushed her free hand against the side of the blade to keep it steady. The beast on the other hand bit down, trying its best to destroy the blade without caring for any wound it gets in return.

I took another arrow, aiming it at the goblin once more, whispering the incantation of the skill. “[Curve Shot].” As I let go of the arrow it looked at me, preparing to strike my arrow down before redirecting its strike at Alice. The spear struck towards the arrow as I used the connection my mana build to divert it. A loud screech resounded as the arrow passed the spear, metal sliding over metal, before it continued its path towards the goblins head.

Giia!”

It let out a quick scream, leaning its body sideways as the warg let go of the sword, moving to keep its master out of harm. I tried to correct the path once more, but the agility of the beast let it escape fast enough to render my shot to a harmless scratch on the goblin’s cheek.

In return Alice had the chance to strike once more, her blade crashing forward to create a storm of windblades dragging shards of ice with them. Swiftly I brushed over my quiver, counting three remaining arrows. I pulled out two of them, preparing another two Power Shots as an idea coursed through my mind.

Quickly the storm shot towards the enemy, the beast stepping back, letting out a growl. Suddenly its fur lit up as it opened its mouth, letting out a breath of fire. The two attacks collided, fire and wind getting thrown around until both resided, one side molten, puddles of water spreading over the last remains of ice, while the other was scratched and cracked all over.

When the arrows were filled with mana I prepared another skill, laying it over the first. “[Power Shot; Modify: Arrow Rain]!” They shot forward, splitting over and over before striking at the enemy. The inexpertly done fusion was visible at the accuracy, as a few arrows would fly straight past them, but there were enough to damage them seriously. The attack the warg used left it open for a counter, unable to evade. Instead the goblin rushed forward, stepping on the head of the beast while spinning its spear, trying its best to deflect the incoming arrows. Little by little they were pushed away, but a few still made it, digging themselves into the fur of the beast, blood flowing out. One even struck the goblin in its leg.

Still it seemed like it didn’t accomplished much when the beast rushed forward once more. I could see Alice looking back for a moment, a smile on her face, before she faced it once more, pushing her blade into the ground. It crashed against it, both of them skidding backwards over the ice. The goblin looked at us, grinning as his spear struck out at her.

But instead of trying to dodge she stepped forward, the spear missing its mark and burrowing through her shoulder. As it tried to pull back her hand rushed upward, closing around the spear, holding it tightly.

“Now.” She screamed, pain in her voice.

“There should have been a better way damn berserk!” I pulled my last arrow, using the strongest skill I had. “[Fatal Shot].” Every little bit of energy remaining in my body was pulled inside the arrow. As my finger let go of the string my legs collapsed, making me fall on my knees, unable to do anything else, only watch the outcome.

It flew faster than any arrow I ever shot before. The goblins visage twisted, trying to get away but it would never make it with its speed. In the blink of an eye it was before it, ready to send it to the afterlife as suddenly the warg raised its body, its neck now in the path of the arrow.

Then it connected, easily cleaving through it, leaving a gaping hole as the beast shot upwards, leaving out a pained scream. The goblin let go of the spear while it fell backwards, making Alice fall backward as the support which let her stand was now gone, the warg crushing the goblin beneath it.

You have leveled up!

Even the energy from the level up wasn’t enough to compensate for the skill in a short amount of time. I tried to stand up, staggering as I walked towards Alice to care for her wound. But after a few steps I came to a hold, staring as I looked at the corpse moving once more.

Fur raised itself once more, followed by a green hand clawing into the ice, dragging the belonging body into freedom. It stood up, one arm limply hanging down from the crash.

“You’ve got to be kidding.”

It turned around, ignoring the state its body was in as it kneeled down next the warg, caressing its snout. It muttered quietly before standing up once more, facing our direction. If what we had seen before was anger it was now in a state of utter rage, looking at us in sheer hatred. It stepped forward, staggering because of the arrow in its leg. It grimaced, looking downwards and grabbing the arrow to pull it out, ignoring the bleeding wound as it continued to walk towards us.

I could see Alice, trying to stand up, but before she could even do anything the goblin was already near her, hand closing around the spear. She screamed out in pain as it lifted her up, her body limply hanging from the spear, hands grasping at it to have any kind of relief. Soon enough the goblin pulled the spear sideways before swinging it once more and flicking her body towards me.

I staggered towards her, crashing down on my knees right beside her. She looked at me weakly, the wound in her shoulder bleeding profusely.

“Sorry, I thought it was a good idea.” Her face was twisted in pain.

“How could it be a good idea to willingly impale yourself?” My voice was weak, tears starting to flow.

“It doesn’t even hurt that much anymore.” She tried to smile, but the pain wouldn’t let her.

“Liar.”

She lifted her hand, wiping away the tears rolling down my cheeks. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine.”

There’s no way. I couldn’t bring myself to say it, as I heard the goblin slowly stepping nearer.

“See.”

I looked at her. But she didn’t look back, instead looking above, her eyes reflecting a golden luster.

The first one star rating... I know it's opinions and such but please really try to comment on things if they are lacking in someway, instead just rating it bad (of course you still can afterwards if you want). It helps creating a better story

19