Chapter 37 – A dream or …
557 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked around me, darkness greeting me once more.

“What’s this, did I die once more?”

Everywhere I looked I saw nothing. Guess it had been to much too hope for a second chance.

But opposed to the time before it felt different. Then I noticed that opposed to before I still felt my body, the ground beneath me and the coldness surrounding me. I tried to summon my flames, only to be kept in the dark. Should’ve known that wouldn’t work.

Slowly I stumbled through the darkness, always continuing onwards through the never-changing darkness. Seconds passed, then minutes, maybe even hours. I didn’t know anymore, just like the time before. Sooner or later, I didn’t even care about time at that point anymore, I saw a glimmer in the distance.

I rushed forward, the light growing bigger and bigger till it blinded me, suppressing the dark world. I squinted me eyes, waiting for them to adapt to it, being able to see once more. Little by little the light faded. As I opened my eyes I saw a green meadow, a lone tree standing in midst of it.

Beside the tree was a spear, leant against the trunk. I know that spear! I rushed forward, stopping before it. I reached out to it, carefully as if any touch could make it fall apart before I heard footsteps behind me.

“Daddy said no one’s allowed to touch that spear uncle!”

I turned around, facing to kids, a bigger boy around 6 years old and a smaller girl around 4 years old. Uncle? As I looked at them I saw the familiar features of someone.

“Now, now. Don’t trouble your Uncle.” Behind the two he appeared, stepping out of nowhere, and started to pet the two children. “And I said you’re not allowed to touch that, you’re still to young. And the days of darkness have long past, there’s no longer a need to fight.” A smile came upon his lips as he said the last part.

“When I grow up I’ll become a warrior just like you!” The boy struck his chest out proudly.

“Big brotha will sur’ly make it.” The girl spoke with sparkles in her eyes.

He instead just had a bitter smile for a moment before continuing. “Just grow up healthy.”

In my stupor I could only manage to bring forth one word. “Brother?”

He turned to me, smiling profoundly. “What’s the matter with you? It’s been years since you last called me that. You’re getting all nostalgic?”

He’s changed. No longer a machine-like man. But his small gestures are still the same as ever. I couldn’t help but smile. Even if this is a dream, I hope it will continue forever.

“Wake up daydreamer.” He waved his hand in front of me.

“What?”

“We need to get going. Your wife will strike us down if we’re late for dinner.” He turned around, waving his hand to make a gate appear.

“Dinner!” The boy started to run, dragging his sister behind him as he disappeared into the portal. My brother also stepped inside, turning for a moment to make me follow him before disappearing completely.

I felt my body getting pulled forward, slowly stepping into the portal. But before I entered I felt a cold gaze on my back, making me shoot around. I looked around, sweeping my eyes left and right but there was nothing to be seen. I turned back, stepping into the portal.

Flicker.

 


 

“Are you sure it’s a good idea to get near him?”

The soldier wanted to stop me as the heat rose with every step we took towards him. What began as a summer breeze turned into sweltering heat, making sweat pour down, only for it to soon vaporize again.

“It’s now or never. If we don’t stop him now we will lose him.”

Haaa, just what did I get myself into when entering this dungeon.”

 


 

The green meadow changed into a sparse forest. I could hear the kids giggling and laughing as the strode onwards, following a small path through the greenery.

“Don’t run to far!” Brother shouted out, sighing as he heard a prolonged ‘okay’ coming back from them. “I swear these kids are just like their mother. Wild and unruly.” He may have been complaining but still couldn’t hide the smile on his face.

We pressed onward, slowly trudging through the greenery. Leaves rustled as rabbits played inside. The song of a bird could be heard riding the wind. Something that should have been impossible in this ruined world.

“I could never understand why she wanted a house in the forest, but any step I take here shows me why.”

“Yeah, it was one thing she talked about.” We neared a curve. You wouldn’t see anything from afar, as it wouldn’t be visible through the foliage, but once you passed the entrance.

As we stepped around the curve, passing through an arch, we were greeted by the scent of flowers. A clearing inside the forest, filled with flowers. Lavender, hydrangea and other I didn’t know the name of, even ones I only saw in the different worlds of the dungeon. A path of stone lead towards a small cottage covered in ivy, smoke coming out of a chimney.

“Seems like we’re just in time.” My brother walked forward past the flowers. As he opened the door a small chime rang out, followed by her voice.

“Took you long enough!”

Like a moth to the flame I dashed forward, the chime ringing once more as I stepped inside.

Crackle.

 


 

Suddenly the fire on his body started to spread once more, covering more and more, even setting the ground beneath him aflame.

“I’m sorry.” The soldier let go of my body, stumbling backwards. “I can’t get nearer than this.”

Without support I staggered in my steps, taking another two before my feet collapsed beneath me, making me fall just out of arms reach. As I stretched my hand towards him I felt something wrap around my waist. Looking back, I saw Sarah standing there, grinning at me.

“Don’t forget about me!” She tried to lift me up, struggling just as much as I to keep her consciousness in the heat.

I pushed myself up once more, putting my arm around her. Together we pushed forward once more, helping the other to stand, before we fell on her knees next to him. As we reached out to him another burst of flames was set free.

 


 

I didn’t wait for my eyes to adapt to the light as I immediately looked around, searching for the kitchen. It didn’t take me long to find it as I only had to follow the scent of the meal, coming from it.

“Welcome back, darling.” She turned around, her white apron glittering in the sunlight coming through a window, giving me a smile warmer than anything I’ve ever seen before.

“I’m back.” I could only mutter in daze.

“I’ve made your favorite.” She stepped over, giving me a light kiss, before returning to the stove. She picked up a spoon, dipping it into the pan before bringing it to her lips. “Just the right taste.”

I continued to watch her, but soon she turned around, pointing the spoon at me.

“Get out and set the table.”

I could only do as she said. I stepped into the living room, somehow knowing where the tableware was without even having seen it once before. As I was done she stepped inside, carrying the pot and setting it down on the table.

“Kids, get inside, dinner’s ready!” I could hear my brother shouting out.

Like a storm they rushed inside, the bell clanking heavily instead of ringing.

“What did I say about breaking the house of other people?”

“Sorry Uncle, Aunt.” They both called out in unison before rushing at the table. “Yayyy, Curry!”

“These kids,” he let out a sigh, “sorry about that.”

“It’s fine.” She started to laugh before laying a hand on her stomach. “We can see it as test before giving birth to her.”

What? Before I could even react he continued.

“Did you decide on a name yet?”

“Yeah, she will be Amy.”

 

After dinner my brother left, taking his children with him, leaving me alone with her. I left to wash the dishes, coming back to find her sitting in rocking chair.

“I can’t wait to give birth to her.” She smiled profoundly, looking down on her stomach. “Come here.” When I stepped closer she pulled my hand, laying it down on her stomach. “Can you feel her?”

At first there was nothing, but then gentle throbs could be felt, as she twisted inside the stomach, kicking her legs inside it.

“So touched that you need to cry?” She startled chuckling with a bell like laughter.

I instead traced a finger above my cheeks, getting it wet from tears I didn’t know were falling.

“Hey, it’s okay now, you’ve done enough.” She pulled me down into an embrace.

Crackle.

“Just take a moment of rest. There’s no need to fight anymore.” She let go, creating a bit of space between us before she pulled me in for a kiss once more.

“I love you.” Her cheeks turned red in embarrassment, her eyes glistening in the light.

Crackle!

“I love you too.” I caressed her cheeks. Then I stepped back. “And that’s why I can’t give up.” I turned around, walking over to the door. “Farewell.” I took one last glance at her.

She gave me a last smile. “I’ll be waiting.”

16