Chapter 50 – Facing the end
448 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wind and fire pushed against each other. Inhuman screams echoed through the battlefield, slowly drowning out the metallic screeching of the wind. I looked down at my hand, the fire gone, leaving behind a charred mass.

Little by little the wails faded as the flames won over the wind, creeping further away towards the goblin. Whatever scream it may had. Whatever words it wanted to speak. Everything was lost after the eerie silence left in the wake of hells flames.

Or at least that was what I believed. When the flames continued onwards they left behind a green sphere, wind rushing around it. Damn it, how can it still be alive? But before I could see it my eyes began to waver, the world tilting before them. No, not the world.

A message appeared before me, but before I could look at it my body spasmed, throwing me into a coughing fit. I fell on the ground, blood spewing out of my lungs. It hit the ground, sizzling and boiling, whatever liquid remained soon gone, leaving a strange red mass. Though I couldn’t care less about that right now, as the howling sound of wind stopped, leaving behind a groaning goblin.

With another cough I expelled whatever blood was left behind inside my lungs before forcing my remaining arm to lift me up. Shaking in pain I somehow managed to press my hand down beside me, struggling to lift myself with what little strength remained, only to barely lift my upper body.

Now that I was able to I looked towards the goblin once more. He seemed to be in a state not far better than myself, its skin, previously filled with cuts, was now estranged by blisters, throwing bubbles as it was burned through the heat piercing its shield. It struggled to keep itself afoot, its joints held in positions, deformed through the fire. Blood flew down from one of its eyes, like a tear.

Its lips ripped as it forced them open. “Gi, giigi. [We might not but confesseth, we didst not expecteth thee to liveth.]”

I tried to answer, but instead of words it ended in another bloody cough.

Giia. [Though yond may not beest the case f'r long.]” It tried to take a step forward, staggering as it set its foot down once more, barely having moved. “Gigi. Gigia. [Still we faileth this time as our end is near too. But alloweth us not endeth this square with waiting f'r each oth'rs death.]

The wind picked up once more, gathering besides him as it formed into blades. I smirked as I looked at him. His penchant for theatrics could compete with every playwriter. Not that I had something against that. Waiting for one’s death sounds way too boring.

Fireballs flickered into existence around me. Higher leveled spells are utter foolishness with what little mana remains, maybe just enough for one spell. As his blades shot forward, I answered with my fire. There was no finesse, no hidden plan, just an orchestra of explosions as fire and wind collided. A pure battle of strength.

Little by little the blades lost in power while my fire grew smaller until I heard the goblin a last time.

“Giia… [We prayeth yond thy race shall not falleth into this cycle of slaughter, never-ending death…]”

Then the blades faded, my fire pressing forward to embrace the goblin in its last moment.

The 97th Evil, the emperor of goblins, Windrider Gias, has been slain.

 

The death of their lord has doomed another race for failure.

Fighting for its subject it gave its all as it hoped for a better future.

 

The title ‘Lone Slayer’ has been awarded!

 

You have leveled up!

His words left behind a hollow feeling. Could this really be the fight way, fighting against other races, killing them for our own survival? It’s not like the other ones really gave me a chance, attacking before anything else.

I was thrown into another coughing fit, blood dripping from my lips. Not like all these thoughts matter anymore. Doesn’t seem like this level-up will do anything to keep me alive.

Congratulations

 

This dungeon has been cleared. The surviving race will be teleported outside while the dungeon collapses.

Keep doing your best in the struggle of survival!

The message resounded through the dungeon, followed by cries of woe, before bright pillars of light descended here and there, bringing other human survivors out of the dungeon. I took a last look at my messages, wanting to keep my thoughts from my impending death.

While the first was, just as expected, telling me about my body breaking down through the usage of multiple mid-tier spells simultaneously, the second was far more bizarre.

Soul-Link detected. Analyzing…

I smiled. At least they’ll survive. With their strength they will be strong enough when the challenge the next dungeon. They won’t fail where I did. Is this what you felt? Not sadness over leaving them, but happiness that they live on.The only possible solution seemed to be about Alice and Sarah, taking me towards the one thought I wanted to avoid. I’ll leave them alone. So much for protecting them. In the end I couldn’t do it. In the end… I just did the same thing as you two, my love, my brother. Giving my life to safe those important to me, leaving them alone in their sadness.

Eventually the pillars of light faded, leaving me behind in this ruined world. Not even taking the energy to get my broken body out of here, huh?

Massive Error

Soul-Link connects the player with a higher entity!

Solving…

 

An emperor has fallen, its subjects forced into another journey towards death.

Killed through a hand never meant to be, they prayed to their lord.

Guided by the wishes of its kin, it fell towards this lower plane.

Face the might of their god, Last Survivor!

Can’t you just leave me alone? Can’t you wait for a few minutes?

Stopping dungeon collapse.

 

Forcing descend of a god.

Everything stopped. The cries. The wind. Even the sound. A flash of light struck down. Then another. One by one strikes of thunder crashed downward, illuminating the world. The clouds up above started to quiver, lightning coursing through them. All until the streaks converged, twisting around themselves to strike down as one.

Left in their wake was a lone goblin, its body flickering with energy as lightning struck out from it. I would have laughed if I wouldn’t have spit out blood instead. Is that really needed? You want to see my death so much you’re changing the world for it?

The goblin just stood there, calmly taking in its surrounding, seemingly annoyed at having been forced here.

I faced my end, resigning myself to my fate. If all it takes is my life.

Forcing dungeon descend on world zeta-74, ‘earth’

Scenery began to flicker into existence, first the greenery of the Central Park, then little by little the skyscrapers, the dark clouds spreading towards our worlds.It spoke, its voice scratching at the surface of reality. “So, we have to kill all these lowly ones before we can ascend once more. Haaa, I don’t even want to touch these dirty things.”

“Hahaha…” Blood flew down my mouth as I laughed. The goblin looked at me, his gaze holding only disgust.

“What’s so funny about this, worm?”

“Everything.” Spitting out another mouthful of blood I continued. “That fucking, annoying system.” Mana streamed out from me. “This damned world heading for destruction.” Layer for layer it created a circle I saw moments ago. “And this arrogant bastard before me, that thinks he just can do everything.”

Activating title effect – Ultimate Sacrifice

 

In the end, not everybody can stay alive.

There are those, giving their live, trying their best to construct a better future.

 

Activating ‘Last Strike’.

 


 

After the pillar of light faded, we found ourselves back at the streets of New York. I looked at Sarah down in my arms. When we ran away, she fainted, the pain coming from her wounds proving too much to bear for her little body.

Seeing she was okay I looked around, trying to find any sign of human life, but the light seemed to have brought everyone to different places. I should get inside somewhere for now. Sarah needs to get rest. Afterwards I can look for Agni.

He is fine, you heard the message telling of the fall of evil. But as much as I told this to myself the words just felt empty. I gritted my teeth, swearing to myself that I would never back away once more, grow strong enough to fight besides him.

But as I got ready to move the sky began to darken. Panicked I looked towards the park, dark clouds gathering above it. The same clouds that where in the dungeon.

“Why? It should have been the end?” I muttered, watching the incomprehensible phenomenon. Suddenly, lightning struck out of the cloud, blinding my eyes. When I could see again the goblin castle stood in midst of the park, a glowing body flying in front of it.

Once more lightning struck out, crashing into a skyscraper, easily tearing through the building to come out from its other side. The sound out thunder drowned out everything else, a rain of glass coming down from the struck building when the force broke through it. Only to be shadowed when the part above the hole tilted, breaking apart to fall down.

The view towards was blocked by steel and concrete, the collapse of the building resonating through the entirety of New York as more and more lightning bolts shot outwards, their source flying upwards, becoming visible once more.

Though these bolts seemed like nothing more than excess energy, for a rain of energy bolted downwards below it, gigantic snakes challenging them as they stretched upwards, meeting their end when electricity clashed against them only to from a new head and try once more.

16