Act 2 – Chapter 5 – End of one fight, start of a new
376 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Those hoping for a genocide turned more and more quiet, apart from a few who still shouted on about the unfairness of the elemental’s interference. Those who wished for their survival however let out numerous cheers, even knowing that none of it would reach the sub-dimension the stage was in.

“Looks like we’ll see the revival of an entire species for the first time in decades! Who would have thought the goblins would be able to escape their impending doom.” Lyriss’ voice rang out through the viewing seats.

In the short time they were here even more spectators gathered, attracted by the booming noise coming from there. Turning what was originally a little event for those hoping to see a slaughterhouse or the few who hoped for a little respite in their bleak reality into a full-blown spectacle which gathered as much attention as the later rounds.

Hearing that it were the goblins that were fighting some though of turning back, disappointed that a lower species was inside the stage, especially one as good as dead given their second loss, before they heard that they weren’t losing, even keeping up a steady fight.

Looking at the stage beneath them they were greeted by a raging inferno, flames rushing over the battlefield and turning the worms into cinders. It sped around the goblins, trying to keep them safe at one side.

The other side however was fairing far worse, worms breaking through their ranks, only to be stopped by the masses, disregarding whatever costs they had at it. The sole reason it didn’t collapse completely was an old goblin mage, creating walls of earth to stop the worms charge while changing the ground beneath them, turning it hard and inaccessible from beneath.

In midst this heated battle was a massive goblin, far bigger than the other, ravaging through the worms near him, digging his massive claws into them. But while his stand was impressive the viewers were far more interested in this unknown identity that appeared with him, a white golden flame sitting atop its shoulder.

Together they fought off most of the worms, trying to keep the few goblins left behind alive. The fire didn’t show much diversity, as if it didn’t know how to use its strength, but the sheer power behind it was more than enough to deal with the worms.

Each worm that came near it was grabbed by its flames, which formed a massive claw strong enough to pierce into their flesh, given that they could make it past the claws of the goblin first. The worms further away however, those that tried to slaughter their way through the weaker ones, died in a fiery explosion. Every now and then little orbs of flame split of from him, making their way through the battlefield like fireflies before they neared a worm, bursting apart to reveal the flames within.

And after a few more minutes silence enveloped them. They stood on the bloodied sand, a few hundred goblins, surrounded by the bodies of their allies, either ripped apart or shredded into pieces, and the corpses of the worms, some where stabs and gashes from the smaller one piled up, some with gaping holes and long cuts, separating even their bodies in two. But most of them were burned until a little less than cinder remained.

The survivors were panting hard, some even dropping to their knees. But as the realization came across them, and all tension left them, they let themselves drop towards the floor, laughing like a madman.

Lyriss looked at the scene in wonder. “They really did it…”

From the stage the goblins shouted out in unison. But what they couldn’t see was that the vermillion petal in the viewing stands above slowly darkened.

 


 

“We survived!” The green skins shouted out in unison, nearly making me go deaf.

“Shut up, I’m still having a headache.” My whole body was hurting after I rode on this giant. No, his name was Goraa. We were surrounded by corpses, foes and allies alike, but these guys only radiated a genuine happiness, even forgetting about the hostility some of them showed me.

Hahaha, you don’t get it, devil, do you? There hasn’t been a survivor of the first round for a decade!”

His laughter shook my whole body, aggravating the already bad feeling. “You’re right, I don’t get it. We’re still captured in here.”

“That should be done with any minute now.”

As if one cue the atmosphere around us changed, the previous calm after the battle suppressed by a primal fear, as if a predator was waiting to strike at us. Before I could figure out where it came from a voice came from above, calm but threatening nonetheless.

“I congratulate you, survivors of the starting round.” He applauded us slowly. Lifting my head, I saw a purplish humanoid floating in the sky above us, red veins pulsating through his body.

“Mr. Meccart,” suddenly the giant beneath me turned much humbler, bowing towards this newcomer, nearly shaking me off in the motion if the armor still didn’t hold onto me. “I, Goraa of the goblins, am honored to meet you.”

“Mr. Goraa, you have grown so big since the last time I saw you, I’m sorry for your loss. Your brother was a good man.”

“Thank you for your kind words.”

“May I ask how he died?”

“He died standing up to defend his people. I’m only here now because he did so.”

“I see.” He lifted his gaze from Goraa and focused to me. “May I ask who this gentleman is?”

His gaze alone bore into me, the pressure pushing down on my body. But before I could speak Goraa raised his voice once more.

“We call him devil, Mr. Meccart. It seems like he lost his memories in his fight against my brother.”

“So, he is the one who killed the goblin’s chosen warrior. And you still cooperated with him?”

“Even if I were to avenge my brother, he left it to me to lead out kind. Dooming them all in a desire for revenge would be anything but his wish.”

“Your deeds honor him. Though it is a shame.” Goraa looked up in wonder at the discrepancy between his words, but the one above us just continued to speak. “So, Mr. Devil, I wonder how you even came here. Only the goblins and the monsters inside their dungeon should’ve been here.”

“As the big one beneath me already said, I remember nothing.”

“Is that so? Such a shame. I would have liked to hear your story before you died.”

“What!?” Goraa shouted out, his body trembling.

“Trust me, I would like to see you live.” The arena darkened around us. “But with two intelligent species in the beginning round we can not end just like this. As such,” he paused as a creaking noise run through the air, “I hope to see you again.” He bowed, disappearing afterwards.

Once more the creaking noise resounded, guiding our eyes to the giant gate opening itself.

14