Act 2 – Chapter 9 – The hospital
318 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I opened my eyes, I looked at a white ceiling, a light breeze of air going through the room bringing the smell of chemicals with it. Looking around didn’t let me see anything other than partitions blocking out the view left and right. But when I tried to stand up my body forced me to remember anything it went through, even though my brain only remembered half of it.

Thrown into a coughing fit pain shot through it once more, but at least it alarmed whoever was nearby, as a voice rang out.

“Doctor, the elemental has woken up!”

Doctor? Is this a hospital?

Then I saw who called out for the doctor, as she stepped near to the bed, allowing me to see her while she kept a safe distance, most likely to protect herself rather than out of fear as compassion and worry were visible on her face.

She intertwined her grass-green fingers, fidgeting, unsure if she could step nearer.

“I’m not going to burn you.” Probably. I gave her a small smile, the little gesture taking anything from me.

At my words she stepped nearer, slowly and carefully. Now that I could take a better look at her I saw small buds coming out of her skin, even smaller leaves and blossoms growing out here and there. Small almond-shaped eyes, lids like a knothole, glistened with a hazel iris in an almost overlookable green. A fine nose leading to small lips with a darker shade. Her hair like vines, bound together in a ponytail using one of the vines like a tie, created a mesmerizing flow of leaves and blossoms, turning the green pasture colorful with warm yellow flowers while revealing a pair of pointy ears.

Seeing how I didn’t show any kind of hostility she reached out with one hand, not having any uptake in her speed as she was still hesitant. But before she came anywhere near me, she was yanked backwards by someone, nearly falling over in the moment. And in addition to this behavior he started to yell, giving me quite a bad first impression for someone I didn’t know.

“Flora, what are you doing!? You shouldn’t even be in here? And you!” The voice turned to me. “What makes you think it’s okay to touch a dryad when you’re all ablaze, trying to kill her? Hell Flora,” his voice turned back to the dryad. “Even I had to watch out that I didn’t dry out, what do you think will happen to a plant-based species?”

He continued to berate us for another minute, us two completely silent all the while, before he decided to stop and start with his original purpose in getting here. As he stepped closer to look at me, I hadn’t had much to look onto though, only seeing a doctors coat with some blue goo sticking out of where the head was supposed to be.

“Soo, you’re finally awake. I’m Dr. Mopheus, please refer to me by that. This fool here is called Flora, our newest nurse. You’re at the Moras hospital of the third ward, having been taking here after surviving that ordeal of the opening round.”

“So, we won.” My body felt lighter as if an unknown weight has been taking from it.

“There’s no way you can call that winning. You should’ve noticed that your body isn’t working like you want it to, but that’s no surprise having seen what you fought like. What is a surprise though is that you’re already up after a few days.”

“What about Goraa.” I didn’t dare to ask about the other goblins, as most of them got buried in the sand, apart from those ripped into shreds.

“He’s in another ward, one specialized for flesh-only-based species. The last I heard is that he’ll make it.” His voice turned somber as he continued. “There were fifty-eight goblins left, of which seven died after the battle.”

I bit my lips in frustration. So much to saving his people. There’s no way they’ll get back up with such low numbers. But the next words from the goo turned my gloomy thought into surprise.

“With numbers like these they will be back at a thousand by the end of next month as long as the find enough women willing to serve as brood mothers.”

“What?”

“You didn’t know?”

The dryad laid her hand on the coat, after which it showed some kind of understanding, given that I interpreted his shaking correctly as a nod.

“Ah, yes, of course. They said you’ve lost your memories. Anybody with some knowledge could tell you that a handful of goblins is enough for them to start a kingdom. And you have saved enough that the lower districts will be covered in them after a few months.

He let out a sigh, after which he continued. “Well, as much as I have a dislike for their dirtiness, I have to thank you as someone who’s calling lies in saving lives.” He gave me a small bow before he focused once more.

“Enough of the chitchat, I have more work coming, let’s get you tested, but first,” His sleeves began to straighten, the goo making its way out of it to flow out of my sight, “I need to connect myself with the water supply, don’t want to shrivel down once more.”

His blue got lighter and lighter, nearly transparent as another appendance grew out of the other sleeve, closing in on my body. But as he touched the flames I could feel him quiver. Though that didn’t hold on for long.

“You can control these flames?” He asked in wonder, his voice turning remorseful as he continued. “Why didn’t you say so before I sucked in all that water. You know how hard it is to get it out of the body?”

“Should I raise the temperature for you?”

“Just stay the way you are. You already melted a bed while unconscious.” He retorted, making the watery tentacle slide over my body while he mumbled some slightly worrying remarks. “Such a fine specimen. How I would like to dissolve you, see how any piece of your body is working.”

“You will end up dry like dust if you try that.”

The tentacles stopped for a moment before continuing slightly faster. Finishing a scan of my body most of them retreated, a few staying in place over the more serious wounds, mainly staying on my torso.

“Your bones were fractured in multiple places, their splinters piercing into the flesh around them, aggravating the wounds. Your legs were pierced with sharp objects, severing the muscles. This is accompanied by bruises and scratches all over.” He lifted the tentacles from those wounds as he continued. “These were the wounds you got from fighting the worms. Given the speed of regeneration you show they should heal in about two weeks.”

Then his voice turned gloomy. “As for these wounds in your chest. I don’t know who or what did this, but there’s still residue energy coursing through it. Whoever did this wanted to see you dead. It’s probably also the reason why you lost your memories. Until the energy dissipates, they will stay this way. As for your memory, there’s no telling if or when it will come back.

That’s all for my diagnosis. As I know nothing about High-Elementals all I can do is tell you to rest, maybe bathing in your element would help like it does for lower ones.”

“High-Elemental?”

“He got you good, huh, to even forget you own species.” The blue goo shook his head. “Well, we’ll see what we can do about this later, for now rest. Given that Flora already ignored my orders not to enter this room she’ll look after you. If you can control your fire it should be okay for her to come into contact.”

He turned around and slid away, making no noise whatsoever. “See you later, devil.”

Haaa, am I really stuck with that name? As I lamented my fate Flora came near, far swifter than before, and grabbed my hand. Even though her lips didn’t move I heard her voice inside my mind.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Devil. I’m Flora. Dr. Slime and me will bring you back on your feet! He may have a fierce tongue, but he cares about any of his patients.”

With a ‘Sleep a little bit more’ she left my vision, leaving me alone. Seems like I’m not the only one stuck with a weird name.

13