Act 2 – Chapter 14 – A path home
270 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The days passed once more as I stumbled from one job they gave me towards the next, leaving a passable work, but nothing others couldn’t do better. They were like a calm lull, worthwhile for the people around me, but nothing for me. And with anything I tried next I felt a foreboding, something trying to hasten me, reminding me of the thrill of battle, the rush of adrenalin I felt back then.

Am I a soldier, unable to come back from the battlefield, craving for the excitement it brings with it? Unable to live without it? Or is it something more? Is some part of me trying to tell me something?

I sighed as I played with the last bit of my meal, a simple one like anything I had since coming here. Chewing down on some vegetable I couldn’t recognize I placed the fork back on the plate. But before I could fall back deep into my thoughts a glass was set down in front of me, a clear red liquid swirling inside. Following the furry, brown arm still holding it with my eyes I saw someone I came to know the last few days.

“Hey Charr.” A big, muscular lion-kin sat down next to me, holding a glass with another drink for himself. His brown fur grew over his complete body, a few grey streaks showing signs of his age. Just like me he was a resident of this place, thrown out from his pride when the younger ones rose up against him.

“Hey devil, already given up on cooking duty?” He grinned, showing me his fangs.

“Already yesterday. Turns out that being able to control fire doesn’t help with it as much as I thought.”

“Chin up,” he slammed his giant paw on my back, “we’ll find something for ya. Just take the drink for now, there’s no way a man can live without one every few days.”

I took another look at the drink before me, the liquid still swirling around by itself. Well, it will be a change from the plain meals. When I reached out towards the glass the liquid caught fire, glowing with a purple flame. “Just what the hell are you trying to make me drink.”

“Liquid Fire, never expected it to actually catch fire though.” He let out a boisterous laugh, loud enough to drown out the surrounding bustle. “Come on, drink up! It’s fine.”

Just as quick as it caught fire it ended again, leaving behind a darker shaded liquid with probably much less alcohol than before. Cautiously I brought the glass towards my mouth, drinking a little sip. A fruity taste spread in my mouth, inciting me to take a bigger sip, only for me to regret it immediately when it burned hot while going down my throat.

I wanted to berate Charr on giving me something like this to drink, only to breath out the same purple flames I just saw on my drink, making him fall backwards of his chair as he tried to avoid them.

Patting down a singed bit of fur he sat back next to me. “Better not an highly alcoholic drink next time.”

“And something less spicy.” I lifted the glass up once more, holding it out towards him. With a clunk he pushed his against it, before we downed the last mouthful left inside, me taking care to control the flames this time.

 

Downing the third drink Charr looked at me, but instead of talking he turned away once more, growling quietly, unlike the happy mood he had before.

Patting the lion on the back I spoke to him. “If there’s something you want to say just do so.”

He closed his eyes, ruminating over my words, before he decided to speak. “I won’t be here much longer.” He turned his right arm, streaking over it with his other to show a mark hidden beneath the fur. “It appeared yesterday. I’ve been chosen as one of the participants this time, along with a handful of others.”

He fell silent, a hint of sadness visible on his feline face, before he showed me a toothy grin. “Don’t you dare think about comforting me, this leonid here has lived a far longer life than others before him. Much too long…”

His grave voice told of woe long ago. “But there are those of us who still have their whole life waiting for them. As such I ask you, no, I implore you to save them, fight along with us in the arena. Given the power you have shown it should be fine to leave it in your hands.”

He stood up and turned around, only to stop, turning his head towards me once more. “And maybe you'll even find a way back to your world in there.” Saying this he walked away, leaving me sitting alone at the bar.

Looking down at my drink I brooded over his words. A way back home. A possibility to learn about my past. Accompanied by the risk of death. 

Or a life knowing nothing, making a new place to life in, never knowing when it might end.

“Damn!” I slammed the glass down and walked after the leonid.

 

We walked into a room far away from the hustle of the dinner. There were a few faces I already knew, along with a handful of others unknown to me. But each face had a similar shadow cast over it, as insecurity and fear stifled any other emotion they had.

Every face but one, belonging to a kitsune who tried her best to cheer them up, bring a little hope to them. But when she saw us getting inside she walked over puzzled.

“Why did you bring him with you?” She questioned Charr, but her eyes were focused on me.

“A little bit more fire-power should help us survive.”

She grabbed him by his mane, pulling him down to her level of sight, to shout at him in fury. “Are you trying to implicate even more people in this!?”

Charr roared in defiance. “I'm trying to make more of us get through this alive!”

Trying to defuse the situation I stepped in. “It was my own decision to step into this.”

“And you thought I would just let you throw your life away. When Flora brought you here she asked me to take care of you. I should rather send you back to her than allowing you to fight with us!”

“How about you try it then? You win, I stay. You lose and I'll come with you. If you're strong enough to beat me that should convince the old guy.”

She fleshed her canine teeth at me. “Bring it on then.”

11