Act 2 – Chapter 17 – An Invitation
271 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat down in a dark alley away from the eyes of others as my body no longer wanted to move the way I wanted it to. My breath was ragged and my limbs trembling. The worst part however was the headache accompanying myself since this damned voice woke up. In a moment of rest, I let my head sink, only to stare into a puddle of water left over from a rain shower. Inside I saw my own reflection, a twisted mass, the flames flickering between golden and black.

And in this reflection I saw my blackened self staring back at me, opening his mouth once more

Just kill them already. All of those who stand in our way. If you didn’t hesitate, we wouldn’t be in this state now.

Every time it spoke up my headache only began to worsen as if it was trying to pressure me into releasing it.

“Shut up already. They left me alone when I walked away there’s no need for anything more.”

You believe they’ll just let you go? Kill them before they fall into our back.

“Who are you to decide? They gave me a place to stay, someone with nowhere left to go. If it weren’t for you trying to take over, I would still have one.”

Doing what? Living a humble life? You already threw that away when you tried to step into the battlefield once more. You know our true nature.

The reflection held its hand out towards me, its features twisted absurdly, sharp and elongated, nails capable of piercing through any skin, bringing it much closer to the image my name held with it. Its mouth formed a savage grin, showing long, pointy teeth ready to burrow into whatever flesh offered itself by antagonizing it.

Just let out this rage, this anger that is hidden inside us. If there is no place for us to stay at we will make one with force. This little fox was their strongest fighter, but she wasn’t even strong enough to break that barrier, what could stop us if we take that place for us. Just trample over their corpses as we step inside.

I tilted my head, looking at my own hand, glowing in a white fire. “She wouldn’t want us to hurt them.”

What makes you sure of that, you remember nothing about her. About us.

Hearing his words, I had to chuckle.

What?

“It’s not like you know us any better. You’re just full of rage, hoping to drag everything down with you.”

Better than an empty hull without anything. Its words resounded within my head, along with a diabolic laughter. I flashed my flames forward, dissipating the small puddle, but its voice still made its way towards me. One day you’ll release me.

I pushed myself upwards, taking a last look at the light coming from the main street. Freed from the sinister voice I saw the shapes of the people walking past once more, and no longer any ominous shadows. But a look at me hand showed me that I shouldn’t step towards them, as streaks of black fire still sprouted of my body. Turning around I stepped further into the alley.

 


 

We sat down at the bar, the usual hubbub gone, replaced by a gloomy mood, still not gone even though night had fallen long ago. I looked at the leonid opposed from me, who silently stared at the lukewarm ale in hand while mumbling quietly.

“Who thought things would end like this. In my attempt to save you I nearly got everyone else killed.” Letting go of his glass he rested his head on his arm instead.

To his words I could only answer in exasperation. “Why would you even try to save us? Everyone knows that this mark is nothing more than a mark of death.”

“The life of this old man doesn’t matter anymore. But yours is a different story. You are the one holding this place together. You give hope to those who have lost anything. And maybe,” he paused taking a big sip of his ale, “just maybe, I hoped that I could help you survive, help you find a place where those around us could finally live in peace without ever facing the hardships of our generations.”

His words stupefied me. “This place won’t disappear just because I’m gone.”

“At least not immediately. People will still come here to eat and drink. The others will try to keep a place open for anyone. But little by little it will change. There are already those making trouble. Most of the people living here have no experience fighting, and the few that remain are just too little. What will happen to them when were gone? What about the children? They’ll die long before the even grow up.”

“Charr, you’re going to far!” An angry shout came from beside me.

We don’t need another fight today… “We’ll find a way. I won’t…”

But as I wanted to respond I was disrupted by his chair scratching against the floor. Turning away Charr spoke once more.

“You’ll be gone, just like the rest of us sitting down here. Maybe will survive one round, maybe even the second, but if nothing changes our demise will come. And with it the end of this place.”

After this he left, leaving us sitting alone here.

“Don’t listen to him, Homura, Charr was always a grumpy cat.”

But my thoughts were different.

 


 

I stepped over a charred bundle moaning in pain, previously a trio of robbers, not intelligent enough to know when to strike and when to hold back. Crouching downwards I took a small bag, coins rustling inside. Looking inside I saw small bronze and silver coins, a grand building imprinted on them, but any other measure of worth was absent.

Time to learn about this world’s money, huh?

I stood back up, only to notice a newcomer inside the alley. Though this one was clothed far better than these thugs were before. He took a small look at the coin bag inside my hand before deciding it wasn’t worth his time, facing me upfront.

I was prepared for another man trying to ambush me, but instead of an attack he bowed towards me. “Good evening, Mr. Devil. My name is Salas, I work for the arena, or more explicit Mr. Meccart.” Lifting his upper body, he gave me a professional smile. “Mr. Meccart wanted to invite you to dinner tonight, only to hear new about that little incident.”

As if one could call that an incident. I scoffed internally but he just continued in his monotonous voice.

“Given that you left the premises without telling anyone where you went, we sadly missed the time for dinner. But in that case I should forward an invitation towards the show he is attending tonight. I am certain you would be delighted by it.” Once more he bowed, remaining still while waiting for my answer.

Given that the arena is the only place that could lead me home and the other choice is wandering through a thug-filled alley.

“I would be happy to accompany him.”

“Excellent!” He shot back up clapping his hands. “Then let us make haste and get out of here. It should begin any moment.” Opposed to his words he didn’t move, instead forming a magic circle beneath us. As it was done I noticed the familiarities to another one a few days ago, the words of Salas completing my guess.

“[Teleport].”

9