Act 2 – Chapter 19 – A last act
242 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You see, when I tried to use analyze on you it just came up as a blank window. No information on your past. Neither your species nor level. Not even your name.”

Given the time I spent here I already learned a bit about the system, even though it still didn’t show itself to me once more. Still, I learned enough to make a few guesses.

“Maybe the level of your skill isn’t high enough?”

My simple question made him dumbfounded for a moment, before he broke out into laughter, startling everyone in the hall, even bringing the play to a stop. After he stopped, he continued in a joyous voice. “I will take that as a joke given that you probably have not heard much about me before this.” Afterwards however he turned sinister. “But please do not try to belittle me any more than this.”

When he finished his words, a strong force pressed down on our surroundings, leaving the chairs cracking underneath their own weight, the curtain fluttering as if trying to get away from here. But the visitors of the theatre just stayed quiet, waiting for the storm to pass, hoping not to get dragged into it.

Cold sweat ran down my back as I felt him pressuring me. “I’m sorry. That wasn’t my intention.”

When I apologized the pressure lifted, and with it the theatre came back to life. Whispers came to life as the play resumed, albeit with a slightly less focused performance.

“No offense taken.” He smiled at me, but it was anything other than reassuring. “There is no way my analyze would have failed. These heroes and villains that came before you were far stronger, but even they couldn’t block me. There was only one person who I could not use it upon. One, I met ages ago.”

He stopped, his smile fading as he lost himself in his thoughts for a second, only to snap out of it immediately. “Though it will not be the same I can make a good guess about you based on his circumstances.” Saying this he lost interest, taking a pause to look at the play once more, only to mutter sadly. “It is a shame.”

Following his eyes my view landed on a humanoid covered in azure scales, dancing in front of a volcano, her tail swinging along with her. The bright scales reflected the light shining onto her, making her shine brighter than anything else as her dress fluttered with each step. But the short white dress didn’t do anything to stop revealing the mark beneath a sleeve.

“The dancer on the stage?”

“She is one of this theatre’s finest actress. Narva Songscale, one of the last remaining draconoids. It was only a matter of time till she was chosen to be a representant of her race. It a loss for the theatric world.”

Only now I noticed that the music playing in the background stopped. Instead her scales vibrated softly, creating a melancholic melody to accompany her slow dance. Little by little the raging volcano came to a stop, the light dimming, leaving only Narva shining brightly as the world around her stood still, until eventually even she stopped, bringing another bout of silence into the hall. With the disappearance of light Safrone raised his voice once more.

“Maybe I could ask you to keep her safe inside the arena, for as long as you can, in return for a favor of course.” His words stupefied me, but that didn’t stop him from continuing. “Given that you are a one of a kind right now a mark should have manifested on your body as well, though the fire probably covers it.”

Given that I heard about the forced participation for all species I should have expected it.

“You seem awfully calm about it.” As he spoke to me the light turned back on, followed by the actors coming out one after another at the end of the play.

“What would it do to freak out when I already decided to step in?”

He chuckled, applauding towards the actors. “That certainly is true. Still, you would be advised to approach this a bit more carefully. There is a reason that the arena is also called the slaughterhouse. And there are those far stronger than the little fox that housed you.”

“If there are, why would you ask me to keep her safe?”

A small smile escaped his lips as he answered. “Just call it a flash of insight. If I am right than she would be safest in your hands. If not, then I could only blame myself. As for the favor, unfortunately I can do nothing to intercept into the arena as that is even out of my expertise.”

“Could you answer a question of mine then?”

“Of course!” He answered happily, given that I would accept his request. “Just ask away.”

There were many questions lingering inside my mind, but there was only one that he could answer. “Is it true that I can find a way back into my world inside the arena?”

At my words he remained silent. But it wasn’t that he didn’t want to answer but that he seemed trouble at how he should answer. After a minute he spoke up once more, though without vigor.

“Normally, the arena only leads towards worlds it chooses by its own. These can be completely new ones or worlds already taken over, chosen once more as its battleground. The first few stages are remnants of these worlds, those who have been abandoned afterwards, as no surviving race could thrive on them, just like the planet your kind came from. Only the last world may be settled on by those who survive and their kind.”

He stopped. Conflicted if he should continue. But this was the only way I would ever learn about my past. He couldn’t just stop there. “Please, tell me if you know a way back.”

Sighing once he continued. “It is not like I am the only one who knows it. Someone would tell you about it sometime. With the war for the world settled the winner is granted a chance to redeem their own one. But those that tried never came back. Neither had their kind the chance to return to their home-world.”

“So, they’re all dead.” My own voice sounded sinister.

“That should be the case. As such I am conflicted to sent someone on this path.” Once more the words stopped, but this time Safrone quickly broke the silence, continuing in a more jovial tone. “But is that your only question? Such a thing is nothing in return for your assistance.”

Lost in thoughts I smiled bitterly. “There is nothing you should know the answer to.”

“Then let me give you an advice at least. Do not rely on that splinter to keep you safe.”

His eyes glanced over my white arm, but before I could speak out a knock resounded on the door.

“It is open.”

Once more the door opened, followed by a soft voice ringing out, barely audible over the people leaving the hall below us. “Thank you, Salas.”

Just like before Safrone shot up with the closing of the door, walking around the chairs towards the new arrival. Standing up after him I saw Narva once more, her clear grey eyes glancing over to me before they wandered back to Safrone. She held her hand out when he stood before her, at which he grasped it to plant a kiss on its back while bowing.

“You shone like the midday sky tonight, Miss Songscale. It was a pleasure to see your act.”

A small smile hushed over her face. “Thank you for your kind words. Sadly though, this will be my last act on this stage, given that I will soon have to take part in the arena.”

“The theatre lost its brightest star today, though your performance will be remembered for decades. I only wish that I could influence the selections, then I would have never allowed this to happen.”

“We all have our parts to play in this act called life. If it is my turn to leave the stage so be it. But enough about that miserable talk, why don’t you introduce me to your guest.”

“Of course, forgive my bad manners. Miss Songscale, this man here is called devil. Mr. Devil, this is Miss Narva Songscale.”

9