Act 2 – Chapter 22 – Suppressed emotions
249 9 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Morning came but the light of the sun was hidden by dark layers of clouds, barely allowing a few streaks to come through it. Rain fell, tapping at the window rhythmically since hours ago. Her words left me lost in thoughts, unable to sleep, until eventually a knocking disturbed the unchanging tranquilness.

“Mr. Devil, the time for your meeting has arrived.”

When I opened the door, I met an unknown face, but his mannerism showed that he was just another servant of Safrone. After a shallow greeting I followed him down, outside the hotel into the rain. With each drop that fell towards me a slight hiss followed as the water quickly turned into vapor before it even struck my flames. Soon though it stopped as we stepped into a carriage, dragged by some kind of large lizard, that would bring us towards my appointment.

When my guide stayed silent, I looked out of the window, seeing one species after another pass by, a manifold of emotions displayed on their faces. Resolve. Hope. Fear. Despair. And pure bloodlust. All walked with a common goal, weathering through the brewing storm, towards the one place that gathered all attention today.

Eventually we stopped once more. “We are there.” The guide opened the door, stepping outside, leaving the door open behind him without saying anything else. Following him outside I was greeted by the rain once more, perpetually falling downwards. But instead of starting to move he just stood still, staring at the distance down the road where more pedestrians and carriages approached.

While waiting I looked around. The buildings and streets looked old, made of bricks of stone weathered down by time itself, but still holding on. A bit below a small river flowed, hidden beneath a massive bridge, but still loud enough to be heard against the noisy made from those crossing it as the water gushed past the houses lining alongside it.

“There they come.” He showed towards a carriage with velvet accents, crossing over the bridge. “Please treat the Miss with respect. We trust you to keep her safe.” Saying this he disappeared back inside the carriage we came with, leaving me to stand alone as he left.

As the velvet carriage came near it slowed down, stopping besides me at which point the driver got off to open the door for her. Stepping outside Narva took hold of an umbrella held for her by the coachmen before she showed me a bright smile.

“Good day, Mr. Devil. Shall we?” Elegantly she strode past the carriage, making me follow beside her. Hiding her real emotion, she once more put on the façade of the graceful singer, her long white dress flowing in the wind.

Behind us I could hear footsteps following us, but before I could turn around, she whispered to me.

“Don’t look. They’re here to follow behind us, nothing more. It isn’t worth the time or the trouble getting involved with them. They will do nothing as long as I have a proper distance towards others.” Opposed to the smile on her face her voice sounded annoyed.

As we walked up the steadily rising street she spoke up once more.

“So, what is your story, Mr. Devil?”

“I wish I knew that myself.”

“I did not mean your past. I already heard that you lost your memory. What led you to be picked up by Mr. Meccart?”

I sighed. “If you have no place left to go it doesn’t make it hard to accept someone who offers you shelter.”

“So you have been staying with him since coming here?”

“At first I stayed in a hospital for weeks. My fight left me with wounds still not fully healed. Someone I became acquaintance with there showed me a place to stay at. The Morning Sun.”

“I have heard about it. The only way to get thrown out there is to fight with their leader.” She laughed, only to hush when I stayed silent. “So she threw you outside?”

“No, I walked out of there on my own.” I lifted my arm, stroking a finger over the black flames still flickering here and there. “There’s a rage sleeping inside me, waiting for its chance to take over. As we fought with each other it woke up, nearly breaking the place apart.”

Looking at her I saw her make a sad smile, reaching out towards me, only to stop, as our onlookers wouldn’t allow her. Fixing her smile, she spoke up once more.

“Is that why they call you devil? The one who rules over the underworld? Cursed to live alone as his mere presence will bring harm towards others? You managed to stop yourself, did you not? Else that fox would have followed to hunt you down for hurting her comrades.”

“What if I can’t do it the next time? I know nothing about it.”

“If it is a part of you the use it. Something that is repressed will try to break out with any means. Even if it destroys itself in the moment. Let it free. Maybe, if you don’t try to suppress it, it will stand alongside you.” She continued with a weak voice, barely audible over the rain. “Take it as someone who’s been oppressed ever since coming here. Continue this way and it will break out eventually. Enough to scar you forever.”

Saying this she fell silent once more, leaving us with the hustle of other pedestrians and the falling rain to accompany us till we reached the top. Staring at the sight before me I froze. Gone were the buildings blocking the sight. Instead an enormous arena burrowed its way into the ground with rows upon rows of seats for all kind of species, surrounding a dark pit which even the light coming from between the clouds could not lighten up.

Above these seats circled floating island, giving place for even more to watch the spectacle that was the grand tournament. And all around this arena were hundreds of species waiting to enter. Those who were here to watch it quickly filled the seats, turning the area opposed to me into a swarming mass of colors.

But those that entered the tournament just stood aside the ring that stretched on for miles, ranging from individuals who tried their best not to fall into despair, over small groups trying their best to survive, until armies consisting of one species that tried their best in hope for a new world.

Looking at me standing there without moving Narva laughed. “Welcome to the arena.”

9