Act 2 – Chapter 26 – The will to live
191 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How can you even think that I would eat that?”

Are draconoids related to them somehow? Given that both species should be related to dragons it was likely. Still, after the smell of grilled meat wafted through the air even she couldn’t hide her hunger anymore as her stomach began to grumble louder than mine.

“Here.”

With reddened cheeks she grabbed the piece I held out for her, hesitating for a moment, seemingly thinking if she really should take a bite, before another grumble resolved it, making her bite into it.

When I sunk my teeth into the flesh the juices inside spilled out, spreading a spicy, hot taste nearly overpowering the basic poultry flavor, even when the meat was grilled without any other ingredients.

“Damn, it’s good.”

Before we even noticed it we were at the third piece, eating with relish until we were full, after which she helped me cutting of a larger piece of its skin to wrap more of its meat, already frozen by the surrounding cold and the remnant ice energy left behind from the wyvern, for our journey ahead.

As we decided to break up once more she slung the pack over her shoulder.

“Give it to me.”

She however just shook her head, “you’re the one who fends the enemy off, at least leave the carrying to me,” and started to walk towards the whisp waiting for us further up the mountain.

Stepping besides her I spoke. “Says the one who stood her ground when I was swept away with the avalanche. What happened to not being a fan of violence?”

A sad smile appeared on her face as she answered. “One got to learn how to defend oneself if the world goes under. The rest however was learned through stage combat at the arena, like these bladed winds I created with my scales. Though I hoped for them to be more effective.”

“Except my last attack the others weren’t that effective either.” I even needed to rely on that.

“You burned right through its flesh, finishing it in one strike.” She sounded skeptical.

“If it didn’t hide and kept on attacking I wouldn’t have time to charge an attack up. Instead I would have to fight a war of attrition between my mana and its scales.”

“Even then you would have come out on the winning side.”

“I’m not so sure about that. My only means of attack is to manipulate the flames compromising me. And the spell I used for defense is something I remembered while nearly dying.” I laughed disheartened. “Not sure I want to go through that again just to remember another one.”

The cliff got steeper and steeper as we neared the top while wind rushed around us.

“How do you even control them like that?”

“They just flow on their own when I think about what I want to do.” Without a way to walk forward we stopped in front of a nearly vertical cliff. Looking upwards I saw a stone protruding about twenty feet upwards, the whisp floating above as it danced from side to side. “I think we’re there.”

“Seems so.” She looked upwards, only to fix her gaze at me afterwards. “Throw me up.”

“What?” I looked at her incredulously.

“Make me a stepladder and throw me upwards. Based on what I’ve seen your physical abilities aren’t enough to reach it. Barely but still not enough. I’ll pull you up afterwards.”

“If you ask for my help yours aren’t enough either.” I remarked while intertwining my hands, holding them out for her. She didn’t say anything else as she put her foot on them, her cool scales building a stark contrast against my flames.

As I pushed her upwards she whispered an incantation, releasing a strong updraft around us which pushed her even further into the air. Looking upwards I saw her in the middle of a backflip, the darkening sky encasing her as her dress showered her in a white shimmer, before the stone covered her. Not even a sound came as she landed, until she crouched over the edge.

“Now you.”

You say that so easily. Taking a step back I glance upwards before looking at my surroundings that were little more than a deathtrap waiting for a slight mistake to send me tumbling hundreds of yards downwards.

“Here goes nothing. You better grab tight onto me!” Putting strength into my legs I jumped towards the wall, using it to push myself further towards her. Reaching out I touched her fingers, only for gravity to pull myself downwards once more.

“Fuck!” I cursed as I saw myself falling towards the abyss, only to come to a sudden stop when something grabbed me. Looking upwards I saw Narva dangling down from the stone by her tail, both hands tightly grabbing onto my arm as snow dripped down from beside her.

“Not much of an athlete, are you?” She laughed, as she slowly pulled us upwards.

Reaching the top, I saw her tail curling around a stone barely holding on. As we rolled onto out backs, resting ourselves on the cold snow I couldn’t help but ask.

“Couldn’t you just have held your tail down for me to grab upon?”

She replied mockingly. “And have you stare at my butt while you climb up?”

“Forget that I asked.”

“I will,” she replied gently, “as you came to my aid earlier.”

“So saving your life isn’t enough for even one look in passing by?”

She laughed. “Never underestimate a lady’s dignity.”

“Said lady’s dignity has been crumbling ever since we came here. If I didn’t hint you at it the meat juices would still cling onto your cheek.”

“That’s harsh.”

“Same as your façade.” I mumbled quietly, though she still picked it up.

“What did you expect?” She muttered. “After playing a role throughout my entire time I lived here I resolved myself to let it all end, only to gain the freedom I never had when we entered here. And as we fought against that wyvern, I finally noticed it. I didn’t want to die.”

She leaned over, looking directly at me. “I want to live.” Reaching out she touched me with trembling hands, her voice but a mere whisper. “Please, help me survive.” As she uttered those words her whole body trembled in fear.

“Even if it means getting back into that cage?”

She still shook but answered with resolve. “No, I will never ever get back there.”

“And what’s you plan then?”

Seeing how I didn’t turn her down yet she started to calm down. “You’re planning to win this tournament, right? I’ll stick with you until then. Living with those you gathered around you till then doesn’t sound so bad.”

“Didn’t you see that I’m not gathering others around me?”

“They will come eventually.” She smiled. “You’re too nice to push someone away. And if I’m wrong it doesn’t sound too bad to strive for your planet with you. Given that you control fire the environment should be close to that of my hometown.”

I sighed. “There’s no way I can guarantee that we’ll even come that far.”

“It doesn’t matter.” She reached out into the sky. “I just want to grasp my own life with my own hands, living the way I want to.” Closing her eyes, a single tear escaped her eyes, “thank you,” before fatigue took over as her fear faded, making her fall asleep before she could even notice it.

I glanced at her as she rested next to me before I directed my eyes towards the darkening sky. I don’t think others will try to join us anymore but let’s try to help her at least. At my thoughts the black flames fluttered, but the voice, they belonged to, kept quiet.

8