Act 2 – Chapter 31 – New Companions
175 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We walked into the snowy plain, a small breeze flowing above it, taking small particles of ice with them that sparkled in the shining light. Just the appearance of the whisp, shining its light down from the mountain changed the world drastically. Of course, it was still covered in white, no sign of life anywhere near us, but the disappearance of the storm changed it from a world bend on crushing anything alive into one of serene calmness.

That, at least, was the case within a few miles, only for the whisp’s light to lose out against the surrounding cold once more and the snowstorm to continue. With no better objective we set the nearby mountain as our target and began to walk.

But with our vision unhindered we were now left to face a bitter truth as we didn’t find anything near us, no other whisp, no other hint of what could be of importance for the mission, not even a trace of other participants aside from what little remained of those that didn’t make it through the storm.

When we came across the third field of remains Narva asked a question she couldn’t suppress any longer. “Just why do we have to fight inside this hell? All these people are dying, and for what? A chance to live in a new world when they could have continued in their own one.” Even though she tried to suppress it her sadness leaked out of her voice.

Looking over the corpses I searched for an answer. Limps were torn off, bodies left behind half eaten, faces twisted in grimaces as their fear of death prevailed in their last moments. With a burst of fire I set them aflame, in order to cremate their bodies at last but even then it took a while as they were frozen stiff through the cold.

“We know nothing.” I said after thinking for a while. “All of this, the arena, the system, they seemingly just appeared on day, with none the wiser. And whatever is behind them stays hidden, while enjoying the destruction it brought.”

Narva grimaced, clenching her fists tightly without taking her eyes from the burning corpses. When it was over we stood in front of an ashen puddle, staining the white world, before we set into motion once more.

With the storm gone we quickly came within a few miles of the next mountain. All along the way we found nothing, the storm raging on in the distance, until eventually the ground began to rumble once more. Knowing what would happen next we looked around, waiting for another part of the storm to calm down, but even after a few minutes nothing changed.

“Seems like the mountain that had its whisp brought back is none of the nearby ones.” I said while I continued to look around.

Opposed to me Narva seemed to notice a difference in our surrounding however. “The surrounding storm still has weakened a bit.”

“Are you sure?”

“I am. One thing you learn while studying wind magic is to learn to read the current. It may only be a slight change but still enough to influence it.”

“Then maybe this is what we ought to do. Even after wandering this far we saw no sign of another whisp nearby. But if their light can still affect the storms from afar, we may only need one per mountain, until enough are light once more to suppress the storm completely.”

She answered exhaustedly. “We still need to find a whisp either way then. Though that would explain why we didn’t find one while walking outside the storm. They should be further inside near the covered mountains.”

Looking towards our earlier destination, a mountain in eerie silence, I let out a sigh. “Let’s still take a look at that mountain first. If we find nothing we will search throughout the storm once more.”

Setting into motion once more we continued to walk towards the mountain. It didn’t take much longer anymore till we stood at its foot, circling around it in case a whisp may hide itself on the other side. Before we went around completely however snow came down in a tumbling wave, followed by a muffled, raged outcry.

“Why is there so much…” The rest was completely blocked out, as the snow collapsed over the opening.

“We should go. Not all species are keen on letting others live when they come across them here.”

 Narva told me to hurry but instead of moving I just stood there, staring at the mountain. That voice sounded familiar.

“Let’s wait here for a moment, I think I know who’s coming outside.”

Hearing me she stopped, even though she was still visibly on edge, given that no one knew how others would behave oneself inside the arena.

“She shouldn’t just attack us outright.” I said, trying to appease her.

Moments later a burst of fire flashed outside the mountain, melting away the snow. A glowing kitsune stepped outside, flicking the remaining fire from her hands as she looked up into the sky, letting out a blissful sound.

“Warm sunlight, oh how I’ve missed you. Much to long we have been stuffed inside that cold snow, only to end in a dark cave for who knows how long.”

“You make it sound like we’ve been there for months,” another deeper voice rang out, “it has been two days at most.”

She however retorted in shock. “Two days are more than I am willing to go without sunlight!”

“Sometimes I wonder how you got to be the leader.” A leonid said as he stepped outside.

Looking at the scene of the two bickering in front of me I couldn’t help but shake my head before raising my voice while stepping forward. “Hey there.”

The two shot around, startled as they didn’t keep watch over their surroundings, ready to fend off the next enemy before they realized it was me. They lowered their claws, though they still remained vigilant.

“It’s you. What are you doing here?” Gone was her jovial mood.

“We just wanted to take a look around, in search of more of these whisps.”

“You found one too?” Asked Charr.

I just pointed sideways, towards the mountain we came from. “We worked on that one. I guess yours also led towards a rise in temperature around here.” He confirmed my guess with a nod. “We believe there is one near each mountain, waiting for someone to take it up and lighten the surroundings as the snowstorm weakens with each lit mountain.”

Hearing my words Charr closed his eyes, falling into thought as his paw run over his hairy chin. Seconds later he opened them once more. “That could be right. Though this whole stage is just too different from most others. But it’s a good plan, better than nothing at least.”

“Is that so…” I answered disheartened, having hoped that one of them could’ve reassure our conjectures. Still, all that we can do is try it or look for something else. “Thanks.” Finishing what I stayed for I turned back to Narva as Charr’s voice rang out behind me.

“Hey, wait a moment.”

Turning around I saw him step closer.

“Have you thought about coming with us once more? We could use your strength and while we may not be as strong as you individually our numbers make up for it.”

Looking towards Narva I thought about it. We wouldn’t survive another attack of the wyverns if we couldn’t run, at least not alone. We would stand a better chance with more people. But even then…

“I don’t think I am welcome in your group.” I looked over to the kitsune.

“I can protect us without his help.” She said towards Charr, though her eyes kept staring at me.

The leonid however just stepped beside her and grabbed her arm without any prior warning. A moment later she let out a pained yelp, kicking after him to make him let go. Dodging backwards he frowned when he saw her caressing her arm.

“You already got hurt while trying to protect the others. I won’t let you sacrifice yourself as the would only die afterwards, letting your death be in vain. I won’t take no for an answer this time.” He started to growl.

She frowned, unwilling to back off, only to sigh afterwards, sagging her shoulders in defeat. “Fine.”

“No opposition here.” Charr said plainly.

I started to contemplate. Before I said something however cool scales rested on my back. Looking sideways I saw Narva smiling at.

“You already know what it is you want.”

Saying this she walked towards them. Letting out a sigh I felt a similar sense of defeat as I followed after her. “We’re in.”

“See,” Narva started to whisper, “I told you people would gather around you.”

“It’s more like we join them though.” I answered exasperated.

7